ADVERTISEMENT

My 2019- 2020 Delaware Girls Basketball Pre-Season top ten

Justabasketballfan

Getting reps on JV
Mar 16, 2015
Well its that time off year again and we are back at it preparing for the upcoming high school basketball season. Last year was so interesting with through out season and to see Sanford hold the trophy last year culminated in a big change for this year and the years to come. I had so much expectations last year for one best overall class in girls basketball in a long time. There was so many girls that had a lot thrusted upon them for there teams that did not pan out the way we all hoped. I wanted that class to be a little more entertaining then what we got out of that class last year. Expectations was so high. Which leads us to the start of this year. It will look like a down year over all in talent for the state but there is still good basketball that will be played. Here is my pre-season predictions:

1. St. Elizabeth- This could be there last run in a long time with the amount of talent they have. They should be the favorite to win it. The overall talent will be displayed very early with 5 seniors headed by University of Massachusetts committed senior Ber’Nyah Ward- Mayo and a couple of very strong transfers that will impact this team immediately headed by Junior Olivia Lynch. This team just became a lot deeper.

2. Conrad- The sisters and Ja'Nylah Whittlesey always pose a problem for every one in the state. There was so many rumors about this team and the direction they was going. But it looks like they could make one last run before one the sisters graduates.

3. Cape Henlopen- There is always a downstate favorite. With there coaching and there team oriented style of play. It won’t change with 7 freshman last year and four seniors this year. They will continue dominate, but I can’t see them getting past the top two teams.

4. Sanford- Last years state champions will be in a changing of the guard type season. They aren’t rebuilding but they have a lot of impact freshman that will begin to see big minutes. They are led by veteran seniors Allie Kubek, and Kanisa Tucker, along with Sophomore Amiya Carroll. Woodbridge shocked them in the summer league but I think they will be more prepared during the season.

5. Woodbridge- This teams was build the right way. They are a scrappy team that plays hard nose defense the entire game. This is a veteran team in every sense of the word. They have 7 seniors that see big minutes but they are led by junior Sierra Smith. They should make deep run this year.

6. Caravel- this team has lost a lot of fire power last year. Gone are 7 seniors who had major minutes from last years finals team. The youth will began for caravel, and they are led Freshman Amaya Johnson, and sophomores India Johnston & Taylor Wilkins. 6th maybe high for them but the experience they have from last years run will pay dividends.

7. Archmere- This has slowly been under the radar for the last couple of years. They are a scrappy bunch that continues to stay consistent every year. 7 seniors from last years team is gone and they will be back in the hunt again this year. They will be led by sophomore Madison Stewart.

8. Padua-This team could make a great run this year after failing to make the tournament last year due to strength of schedule. They are boasting one of the most experienced teams this year with 9 seniors and a ton of heart. With a lot of teams in a rebuilding part of there programs Padua could shock a few teams this year.

9. Ursuline- last year was a down year for this proud program. Not accustomed to being in the national rankings or being put out in the second round of the tournament means this program will have to begin the process building from the inside out to get back to prominence. Well it won’t happen this year either. They have three key players injured for the year. They will be hard pressed to change there style of play in order to compete they way the want to. The offense solely go through senior Kaliegh White. If they finish in the top ten this year, It will solely off strength of schedule.

10. Tower Hill- Every few years this program gets a couple of players and slowly makes run. This year’s key player is junior Reese Mullins. They was beat in the tournament last year by Caravel the runner up to the champions Sanford. They should finish a little deeper in the playoffs this year.

Other teams to watch: Sussex Tech, Wilmington Christian, and Tatnall

on the rise team: Christiana- They will be starting a youthful 8th graders on there team. Not saying they will win games but if they keep that group together for future years. Watch out!! They are headed by 8th grader Jasiyah Crawford.

Last edited:
sorry ive seen cr up at the AI fall league. these upstate teams will kill them..i love Jada M. but she doesn't give this team what its missing. She pouted most of the game i watched. she was mad that girls couldn't catch the ball. and most of them was her fault with bad passes. They may beat the down state teams once they come upstate there not going to fair well.. i wish them well though

I don’t disagree with your assessment but I think if they catch a good team looking a head they could really surprise them.

Reactions: Justabasketballfan
oh yeah they are a very scrappy team. but they are two or three pieces from really contending. they should make the play-offs. there coached well

Reactions: 84rider
Solid analysis, as usual.

I know St. Elizabeth is senior-heavy, but they are rarely out of the picture. The program continues to attract talent. I agree, however, that this is their best shot since making the final in 2014.

I'm looking forward to seeing the teams back on the court. I think I saw 32-33 teams last season. We'll see if I can top that this year.

Heard similar rumors about Conrad coach & players but it was from Sanford and St. E’s people spreading this rumors. Both schools that recruit and are very jealous of Conrad’s success. And we all know the evil in humans is to try to tear down successful people & what’s worst is it involved high school kids. No one will beat Conrad this year. They crushed St. E’s last year and Lynch isn’t going to help them out that much.

QUOTE="Justabasketballfan, post: 155442, member: 2304"]Well its that time off year again and we are back at it preparing for the upcoming high school basketball season. Last year was so interesting with through out season and to see Sanford hold the trophy last year culminated in a big change for this year and the years to come. I had so much expectations last year for one best overall class in girls basketball in a long time. There was so many girls that had a lot thrusted upon them for there teams that did not pan out the way we all hoped. Which leads us to the start of this year. It will look like a down year over all in talent for the state but there is still good basketball that will be played. Here is my pre-season predictions:

1. St. Elizabeth- This could be there last run in a long time with the amount of talent they have. They should be the favorite to win it. The overall talent will be displayed very early with 5 seniors headed by University of Massachusetts committed senior Ber’Nyah Ward- Mayo and a couple of transfers that will impact this team immediately headed by Junior Olivia Lynch.

2. Conrad- The sister always pose a problem for every one in the state. There was so many rumors about this team and the direction they was going. But it looks like they could make one last run before one them graduates.

3. Cape Henlopen- There always a downstate favorite with there coaching and there team oriented style of play. It won’t change with 7 freshman last year and four seniors this year. They will continue dominate, but I can’t see them getting past the top two teams.

4. Sanford- Last years state champions will be in a changing of the guard type season. They aren’t rebuilding but they have a lot of impact freshman that will begin to see big minutes. They are led by veteran seniors Allie Kubek, and Kanisa Tucker, along with Sophomore Amiya Carroll. Woodbridge shocked them in the summer league but I think they will be more prepared during the season.

5. Woodbridge- This teams was build the right way. They are a scrappy team that plays hard nose defense the entire game. This is a veteran team in every sense of the word. They have 7 seniors that see big minutes but they are led by junior Sierra Smith. They should make deep run this year.

6. Caravel- this team has lost a lot of fire power last year. Gone are 7 seniors who had major minutes from last years finals team. The youth will began for caravel, and they are led by sophomore Taylor Wilkins. 6th maybe high for them but the experience they have from last years run will pay dividends.

7. Archmere- This has slowly been under the radar for the last couple of years. They are a scrappy bunch that continues to stay consistent every year. 7 seniors from last years team is gone and they will be back in the hunt again this year. They will be led by sophomore Madison Stewart.

8. Padua-This team could make a great run this year after failing to make the tournament last year due to strength of schedule. They are boasting one of the most experienced teams this year with 9 seniors and a ton of heart. With a lot of teams in a rebuilding part of there programs Padua could shock a few teams this year.

9. Ursuline- last year was a down year for this proud program. Not accustomed to being in the national rankings or being put out in the second round of the tournament means this program will have to begin the process building from the inside out to get back to prominence. Well it won’t happen this year either. They have three key players injured for the year. They will be hard pressed to change there style of play in order to compete they way the want to. The offense solely go through senior Kaliegh White. If they finish in the top ten this year, It will solely off strength of schedule.

10. Tower Hill- Every few years this program gets a couple of players and slowly makes run. This year’s key player is junior Reese Mullins. They was beat in the tournament last year by Caravel the runner up to the champions Sanford. They should finish a little deeper in the playoffs this year.

Other teams to watch: Sussex Tech, Wilmington Christian, and Tatnall

on the rise team: Christiana- They will be starting a youthful 8th graders on there team. Not saying they will win games but if they keep that group together for future years. Watch out!! They are headed by 8th grader Jasiyah Crawford.[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure why Sanford and St Elizabeth would be jealous of Conrad. St Elizabeth has a very talented roster and a well established program. Sanford's success speaks for itself and by the way has knocked Conrad out of the tournament 3 of the last 4 years and has never lost to Conrad. Jealous?? I don't think so!!

I was stating who was spreading the rumor, players & coaches from Sanford & St. E’s. Last time I checked Conrad & Sanford each have one state title over the last 5-6 years and Sanford has had 6-7 D1 players during that time. In addition, they also have had several D2 players, Biggest difference is Sanford and St. E’s have to recruit. Just develop your team and players w/o recruiting and getting players from PA and Maryland.

I was stating who was spreading the rumor, players & coaches from Sanford & St. E’s. Last time I checked Conrad & Sanford each have one state title over the last 5-6 years and Sanford has had 6-7 D1 players during that time. In addition, they also have had several D2 players, Biggest difference is Sanford and St. E’s have to recruit. Just develop your team and players w/o recruiting and getting players from PA and Maryland.

Correction, over the last 6 years Sanford has 2 titles but that doesn't matter especially considering Conrad has only been really relevant for the past 4 years. Can you please name the 6-7 D1 players Sanford has had? Also, keep in mind that St E and Sanford are both non-public schools and parents pay their hard earned money to send their children to these schools. You call it recruiting, I call it an educational choice.

Conrad will be competitive and if no one has a handle on the whittlesey girl they will make another run at the chip. most of the normal top teams are rebuilding with youth this year but will attempt to be compete for a chip. But St Elizabeth will be too deep and more balanced than ever before to stop. You will not be able to just key in on Fatty this year with triangle two's and box and ones because libby will make you pay. And shockingly enough both players love to play defense. so to have there main to players playing hard on both ends will make it hard for Conrad to beat them.

I know everyone likes to rep there teams on here. but i try to be biased for all teams on here to give an accurate assessment..

Last edited:
I believe Conrad wins the Chip. They have 2 players that would both rank in the top 3 or 4 in the state and they have arguably one of the top coaches in the state. On top of that they have the most experience. Conrad is the team to beat.

Put this together quickly, so I may have missed a few players. Spin it how you’d like to spin it. It’s not educational choice when the Sanford coach is going into middle school gyms across the Tri-state area to recruit. DIAA must look the other way or Sanford has someone on DIAA’s board. I’m sure parents invest some money but I’m almost certain there is financial assistance/athletic scholarships being awarded.

D1
1-Alison Lewis
2-Taylor Sparks-Faulkner
3-Chryshaun Alston
4-Lauren Park Lane
5-Olivia Tucker
6-Allie Kubek
7- Amaya Carroll- 10th grader that should go D1 if developed properly.

Players that should/should of gone D1 but we’re never developed properly
1-Taylor Samuels
2- Hadiya Tucker
3-Samantha Pollich
4-Kanisa Tucker

Correction, over the last 6 years Sanford has 2 titles but that doesn't matter especially considering Conrad has only been really relevant for the past 4 years. Can you please name the 6-7 D1 players Sanford has had? Also, keep in mind that St E and Sanford are both non-public schools and parents pay their hard earned money to send their children to these schools. You call it recruiting, I call it an educational choice.

oh yeah they are a very scrappy team. but they are two or three pieces from really contending. they should make the play-offs. there coached well
This is just my opinion I like Brandywine to go to the Bob they have the fastest and the most efficient play maker #2 RahjaeBreanna King “Big time players make big time plays “.I saw her in the summer league and she can not be guarded . She can shoot with either hand and pull-up deep she’s like Lauren Parker-lane but quicker I can’t wait to see this kid play this year ⛹‍♀️

This is just my opinion I like Brandywine to go to the Bob they have the fastest and the most efficient play maker #2 RahjaeBreanna King “Big time players make big time plays “.I saw her in the summer league and she can not be guarded . She can shoot with either hand and pull-up deep she’s like Lauren Parker-lane but quicker I can’t wait to see this kid play this year ⛹‍♀️

There are some things to like about Brandywine. King is one of them, as is Layla Dallam. With Howard graduating some big pieces, the Bulldogs should be in the conversation in Flight B. The Bob? We'll see.

I believe Conrad wins the Chip. They have 2 players that would both rank in the top 3 or 4 in the state and they have arguably one of the top coaches in the state. On top of that they have the most experience. Conrad is the team to beat.

onlooker you are entitled to your own opinion. But my assessment on why they wont win is because in the last couple of years Conrad struggles with teams with a bunch of scorers and likes to run. Why do they like to run. because the whittlesey girl cant keep up on that pace. So Jon will have to take her out at some point. well if you take her then there goes your rim protection, inside scoring, and rebounding. That what the bases was sanford beating them last year. they had scorers and a bench which Conrad couldn't keep up with.

This year st elizabeth has rumored to have two girls transferred from st marks and libby from st thomas more. Not sure how the st marks girls fit in but i watched libby in the fall league as of last week. and she is ready to go and has a scorers mentality. And st elizabeth only lost one player from last year. I know your believing conrad. and i like the sisters. St elizabeth has too much fire power this year not to win it barring injury or internal melt down in the team. but there is rumor that fatty is nursing a slight injury from AAU season this summer. but we will see how she looks this year.

Again every body is entitled to there opinion

Put this together quickly, so I may have missed a few players. Spin it how you’d like to spin it. It’s not educational choice when the Sanford coach is going into middle school gyms across the Tri-state area to recruit. DIAA must look the other way or Sanford has someone on DIAA’s board. I’m sure parents invest some money but I’m almost certain there is financial assistance/athletic scholarships being awarded.

D1
1-Alison Lewis
2-Taylor Sparks-Faulkner
3-Chryshaun Alston
4-Lauren Park Lane
5-Olivia Tucker
6-Allie Kubek

1-Taylor Samuels
2- Hadiya Tucker
3-Samantha Pollich
4-Kanisa Tucker

I will say this: there is rumored recruiting all over the place not just private but public schools as well. but honestly we can cut all the paying around. it is the wild wild west when it comes to kids and where there going. Now from a parents stand point most to all parents want there kids to go to a school with ah excellent education with a chance to go to college. So Current school parents will talk to new school parents about the safty of going to private school vs public and how the coaching is with there kids. that's one scenario. the other is some coaches have camps where they can identify some of the top players. and last but not least is the full blown coach going on middle school tours to get there kids. some coaches are a little more discreet. and some are bold. so to say that just sanford does it is not fair cause honestly mostly all of them do it.

now your list of undeveloped players is about accurate. because a lot of those players should have gone higher as far as division for school. I would accuse them of not doing a better job of promoting there kids or showcasing those girls for a better opportunity. Development is one issue, but from personal experience parents are on there own about getting there kids the looks they want. unless there one of the talented kids that being looked at. if we take a look at the roster this year. i would put Kanisa tucker over allie. but allie has committed to townson and the amaya is the next feature player he will go to. Kanisa will be left in the dark. yet she is a four year starter and her and her sisters have each contributed to at last 3 or 4 chips sanford has. So i tell all parents don't depend on these high school coaches to get your child in college. a lot will not do your child any justice. some will even hurt your child's chances. again first hand experiences on some of these high profile coaches. But i will say one coach who does do a good job, again first hand experience, and that is the girls caravel coach. she makes calls and showcases them as well. i will take that over the fact that she has not won a chip yet.

I have not heard about any of the brandywine girls. but i will keep an eye out for them. There is so much missing talent not being accounted for- for this year. i will keep a look out for them

D1
1-Alison Lewis
2-Taylor Sparks-Faulkner
3-Chryshaun Alston
4-Lauren Park Lane
5-Olivia Tucker
6-Allie Kubek

1-Taylor Samuels
2- Hadiya Tucker
3-Samantha Pollich
4-Kanisa Tucker
Tell me one successful coach that doesn't go out and evaluate talent to see what they can find. It's how you build a program. But to think that parents pay money for their kids to play basketball and that education doesn't matter is a disservice to the families that make the sacrifice. Also, if you are waiting on a high school coach who has your kid for 4 months a year to develop your kid in practice during the season that just doesn't work. Most of your development happens in the off-season. How much is a kid willing to work outside of the high school practice time? How much time do you spend in the gym in the off season? Who do you play travel ball with? Your scholarship doesn't come from running up and down a court in a Delaware gym during the high school season, it comes from what you do on the travel circuit plain and simple.

i did my research on your player. She is senior this year. average about 7 points a game last year. I know they played teams that was part of the that 2019 class but some of the teams they were getting beat by was not part of that class. They was 8 and 12 last year. they may fair better but i dont see them making the bob this year. your girl would have to average almost 20 points a game. And it doesnt look like she will do that this year. again i wish her luck this season and hopes she gets some college looks..

There are some things to like about Brandywine. King is one of them, as is Layla Dallam. With Howard graduating some big pieces, the Bulldogs should be in the conversation in Flight B. The Bob? We'll see.
Agreed. The analysis provided by Mr. Big Shot is his own but I will have to see what's out there before I will say that Brandywine even makes the tournament not to mention the Bob.

You can set your watch to these teams making the tournament:

Conrad
Sanford
St. E
Caravel
Cape
Woodbridge
Ursuline

Those other 17 spots and where they're seeded are very much open to interpretation.

had a chance to check out streets and smith magazine today. I’m really not big on rankings. But to a Sanford girl in rankings and not the Conrad sister is a little strange.. and neither is fatty there as well. A lot of talent missed in Delaware

This is why local journalism matters and local observers matter. How does a girl with a scholarship to an A-10 school not be ranked among DE's best?

Also, I have predictions for who wins what conference and who the wild cards are in said conferences.

Independent Champ - Sanford
(wild cards: Tower Hill, Tatnall, Wilmington Christian)

Flight A champ - Delcastle
(wild cards: Appo, St. Georges, Mt. Pleasant, William Penn)

Flight B champ - Howard
(wild cards: Brandywine, Newark, McKean, Christiana)

Diamond State - Conrad
(wild cards: Archmere, Newark Charter, Wilmington Charter)

Henny North - Cape
(wild cards: Sussex Tech, Sussex Central, Dover, CR)

Henny South - Woodbridge
(wild cards : Lake, Delmar, Sussex Academy)

Catholic Conference - St. E
(wild cards: Ursuline, Padua)

This is why local journalism matters and local observers matter. How does a girl with a scholarship to an A-10 school not be ranked among DE's best?

i have no idea. but i beleive that the local journalism has to do a better at identifying real talent and not be there favorites. This irks sometimes. but it is the nature of the business. but that is totally weird that allie is in there and those two are not.

i did my research on your player. She is senior this year. average about 7 points a game last year. I know they played teams that was part of the that 2019 class but some of the teams they were getting beat by was not part of that class. They was 8 and 12 last year. they may fair better but i dont see them making the bob this year. your girl would have to average almost 20 points a game. And it doesnt look like she will do that this year. again i wish her luck this season and hopes she gets some college looks..
i have no idea. but i beleive that the local journalism has to do a better at identifying real talent and not be there favorites. This irks sometimes. but it is the nature of the business. but that is totally weird that allie is in there and those two are not.
She had surgery last year so this is different we will see we all sit behind a computer and voice our opinion and that’s all it is we will see

There is no favorites with me at all I went to the summer league and that what I saw period so we will see what this season bring I guess everybody is a ship bay less on here huh

Also, I have predictions for who wins what conference and who the wild cards are in said conferences.

Independent Champ - Sanford
(wild cards: Tower Hill, Tatnall, Wilmington Christian)

Flight A champ - Delcastle
(wild cards: Appo, St. Georges, Mt. Pleasant, William Penn)

Flight B champ - Howard
(wild cards: Brandywine, Newark, McKean, Christiana)

Diamond State - Conrad
(wild cards: Archmere, Newark Charter, Wilmington Charter)

Henny North - Cape
(wild cards: Sussex Tech, Sussex Central, Dover, CR)

Henny South - Woodbridge
(wild cards : Lake, Delmar, Sussex Academy)

Catholic Conference - St. E
(wild cards: Ursuline, Padua)

Interesting that Poly girls aren’t in the wild card for Henny North. Beat Cape@ Cape, lost first matchup to Cape by 2 points, beat CR both games, 1-1 with Sussex Central, 1-1 with Sussex Tech ..... all while starting PG was out with ACL tear. Lost 1 starter to graduation.

She had surgery last year so this is different we will see we all sit behind a computer and voice our opinion and that’s all it is we will see

Well mrbigshot2. I do more than just sit behind the computer. i actually go out and see a lot of these players play. and the point was not a shot at allie. it was a shot that the conrad girls and the st, Elizabeth girl was not in the listing for streets and smiths. Both are planning on signing at high d one schools. And totally biased for all players

Reactions: ReturnOfTheGate
Interesting that Poly girls aren’t in the wild card for Henny North. Beat Cape@ Cape, lost first matchup to Cape by 2 points, beat CR both games, 1-1 with Sussex Central, 1-1 with Sussex Tech ..... all while starting PG was out with ACL tear. Lost 1 starter to graduation.

Wasn't sure about Poly's returners, but if they're that good, I'll be glad to be wrong.

sorry ive seen cr up at the AI fall league. these upstate teams will kill them..i love Jada M. but she doesn't give this team what its missing. She pouted most of the game i watched. she was mad that girls couldn't catch the ball. and most of them was her fault with bad passes. They may beat the down state teams once they come upstate there not going to fair well.. i wish them well though

I have seen her play as well in the fall league at least 4 games.... She played well....It looked as though she's trying to adjust to her new team..... Not sure why grownups (if you are a grown up...based upon how the passage is typed?) come on these sites and talk crazy. Nonetheless---Let's uplift our young folks. Best of luck to all the female athletes this year.

I have seen her play as well in the fall league at least 4 games.... She played well....It looked as though she's trying to adjust to her new team..... Not sure why grownups (if you are a grown up...based upon how the passage is typed?) come on these sites and talk crazy. Nonetheless---Let's uplift our young folks. Best of luck to all the female athletes this year.

maybe your right. maybe i shouldn't have gave my total honest opinion. And i hope this is the case of her trying to gel with her team. And i hope that is cleaned up from what i seen from those 2 or 3 games. But if i was college coach watching that and was looking to recruit her. Im not sure a person would of seen her trying to gel with her team. Again I praying that isn't the look for the season or for her AAU team. Wishing all teams the bet this year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT