ADVERTISEMENT

Play Ball ! Top 5 - Games to watch week of April 8 - Update

Mar 29, 2019
1) Appo (4-0) - Nice win over St Marks last week, great pitching, steady D. Can they be beat? WEEK IN REVIEW - APPO BEAT CONCORD AND MT PLEASANT, KEEPS CRUSING, CLEAR NUMBER 1.
2) Salesianum (4-0) - Got no hit, but still beat gritty Conrad squad last week.
WEEK IN REVIEW - LOST TO NEWARK CHARTER, WILL BE OUT OF TOP 5
3) Milford (4-0) - On a roll, beat Cape last week.
WEEK IN REVIEW - LOST TO SUSSEX TECH IN AN EXCELENT GAME, WILL BUMP MILFORD OUT OF TOP 5.
4) St Marks (5-1) - Lost to Appo last week, bounce back week.
WEEK IN REVIEW LOST TO CARAVEL, BEAT ST E'S -WILL BE BUMPED OUT OF TOP FIVE.
5) Delaware Military Academy (3-1) Lost to Archmere last week, but strong pitching puts them in top 5. WEEK IN REVIEW - BEAT TOWER HILL, LOST TO NEWARK CHARTER - WILL BE BUMPED OUT OF TOP 5.

NEW TOP 5 TO BE POSTED SUNDAY, POSSIBLE CANDIDATES BELOW, POST YOUR THOUGHTS;

1) NEWARK CHARTER - HAS TO BE IN TOP 5, BEAT SALLIES AND DMA, NICE WINS.
2) SUSSEX TECH - BEAT MILFORD.
3) CARAVEL - BEAT ST. MARKS
4) DELMARVA CHRISTIAN. HAS NOT PLAYED TOUGHEST SCHEDULE, BUT 8-1.
5) ?

Games of the week:

1) Milford (4-0) v Sussex Tech (4-1). Battle of downstate power.
2) Appo (4-0) v. Concord (3-0). Both undefeated, Appo looks unbeatable. Opportunity for Concord to be part of the convo, how will the Raiders respond?
3) Delaware Military Academy (3-1) v Newark Charter (4-1). This is a huge game for both teams. Newark faces Salesianum today, which will be a tough game. I'm calling Salesianum to beat Newark Charter 2-1, which means this game, set for Thursday, will be a major bounce back game for both teams, who both suffered tough losses last week.
4)Indian River (4-2) v Cape (4-2). Both teams trying to establish themselves as teams to be reckoned with. Indian River gives up a lot of runs, but scores a lot as well. This will be a high scoring contest.
5) Conrad (2-3) v Archmere (3-3). Two quality teams who are trying to find their footing. By the end of the season both teams could be making some noise.
6) Caravel (3-1) v. St Marks (5-1). Caravel lost game one of season to Newark Charter in nail biter. A win by Caravel bumps them into the Top 5. St Marks looking to bounce back after losing to Appo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patcomic
Interesting to see Caravel with their typical gaming the schedule tactics. Postponed the 1st game against Episcopal to save pitching for St.Marks on Tuesday??? Will it be rescheduled, go in as a forfeit loss if they don't play it??

Interesting to see Caravel with their typical gaming the schedule tactics. Postponed the 1st game against Episcopal to save pitching for St.Marks on Tuesday??? Will it be rescheduled, go in as a forfeit loss if they don't play it??

I think they beat Episcopal 3-1 on Saturday night

Reactions: 84rider
Everyone can finally pump the brakes a little on Sallies. Newark Charter took it to them, and they haven't beaten anyone yet to garner all the hype they were receiving.

Salesianum loss in Two Words, Trey Matthews. Trey came to play, 6.2 innings, no runs, 10 K's !

Salesianum is clearly experiencing a power outage at the plate. However, I have watched several of their players on that team since little league, I expect to see some fireworks before too long !

Last edited:
Reactions: HighSchoolJock0364
I think they beat Episcopal 3-1 on Saturday night
They were supposed to play a double header. Cancelled game one at 4pm, played game two at 6pm. have seen this countless times over the years. Just sayin..

They were supposed to play a double header. Cancelled game one at 4pm, played game two at 6pm. have seen this countless times over the years. Just sayin..
Caravel has 19 games if you include the postponed Loyola-Blakefield and Episcopal games. Maybe they just canceled one game so they only have to play 18?

Newark got in the win column yesterday. I'm seeing that as their only win of the season.

Top players making a run for POY -Luke Johnson Cape- Matt Warrington S Tech -Joe Davis Appo - Brett Callahan Newark Charter- Mike Dellose Archmere

Warrington pitched lights out yesterday. Good movement/location. Fun to watch.

Top players making a run for POY -Luke Johnson Cape- Matt Warrington S Tech -Joe Davis Appo - Brett Callahan Newark Charter- Mike Dellose Archmere
I haven't saw a lot of the top teams play , but of the ones I have watched , I believe Brett Callahan is one of, if not the best center fielder this year.

I haven't saw a lot of the top teams play , but of the ones I have watched , I believe Brett Callahan is one of, if not the best center fielder this year.
And, he had one of the better pitching performances of the year on Thursday vs DMA.

It's not huh?? You have a school of 1000 ALL BOYS pulling from the tri-state area and what has that coach won? NOTHING! Not coaching huh?? Give me a break.
I stand by my statement. In this travel ball era where winning is as easy as switching travel ball teams, A High School Coach's success relies on parental, community and school commitment to program. It is my opinion that the Sals program has not evolved to support State Championship baseball.

I stand by my statement. In this travel ball era where winning is as easy as switching travel ball teams, A High School Coach's success relies on parental, community and school commitment to program. It is my opinion that the Sals program has not evolved to support State Championship baseball.
Cop-out. Period!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT