#2 Sussex Central vs #7 Appo 11/17 @ Sussex Central 7pm

Reactions: Longagoplayer
1A

#1 Tatnall vs 1st State 11/18 @ Tatnall 1pm

#4 Indian River vs #5 Brandywine 11/18 @ IR 5 pm

#3 Charter vs #6 St. E’s 11/18 @ Charter 11 am

#2 Polytech vs #7 Glasgow 11/17 @Polytech 7 pm

Reactions: Longagoplayer
I would like to see how many teams in Pa or jersey have losing records and qualify for the quarter finals automatically. 3A needs to go to 4 teams; two district winners and two at large. 8 out of 12 is silly. I can't even explain to people how our small state has different divisions for some sports but not others, much less 3 for football.

I would like to see how many teams in Pa or jersey have losing records and qualify for the quarter finals automatically. 3A needs to go to 4 teams; two district winners and two at large. 8 out of 12 is silly. I can't even explain to people how our small state has different divisions for some sports but not others, much less 3 for football.c
@Seerock …. Couldn’t agree with you more . A 3-7 team in the playoffs is asinine. Should have to be at least .500 to qualify. IMHO

@Seerock …. Couldn’t agree with you more . A 3-7 team in the playoffs is asinine. Should have to be at least .500 to qualify. IMHO
I certainly get your bigger point, but just for clarification purposes, Glasgow & Smyrna at 4-6 have the worst records. The 3-7 was a DIAA error.

Reactions: runningman12001
I agree that there should be only four teams competing which I think it used to be.. This is almost getting like the MLB payoffs where a team barely over .500 can qualify. Another but lesser concern is the spillover of football into the basketball season.

I think getting 2 bonus points for playing up no matter if you win or lose is a little much, that's why FSMA (6-4) is the 8th seed with a better record than Glasgow #7(4-6), St. E #6 (5-5) and Brandywine #5(5-5).

I think getting 2 bonus points for playing up no matter if you win or lose is a little much, that's why FSMA (6-4) is the 8th seed with a better record than Glasgow #7(4-6), St. E #6 (5-5) and Brandywine #5(5-5).
I don't mind teams playing up and challenging themselves but the fact that there are enough teams in each division that you can have a 10 game schedule of only division teams makes sense to me. Especially with a team like Odessa, I get they are trying a rivalry with Appo and Middletown but they play them in their first year at D2. If they scheduled 2 Divison games they might have had a better chance at playoffs

Speaking of bonus points, 2A Friends win over 1A Tatnall was worth 7 points. That shouldn’t happen.
Plus Friends also played Dickinson and Glasgow. And Cape opened the season with 3 D2 teams. If you play down I think it should be limited to only 1 time a year

I don't mind teams playing up and challenging themselves but the fact that there are enough teams in each division that you can have a 10 game schedule of only division teams makes sense to me. Especially with a team like Odessa, I get they are trying a rivalry with Appo and Middletown but they play them in their first year at D2. If they scheduled 2 Divison games they might have had a better chance at playoffs
pretty sure Odessa didn’t win a game in their District, so I don’t think anything could have helped them this year

pretty sure Odessa didn’t win a game in their District, so I don’t think anything could have helped them this year
You are correct they did not win a district game, plus 1 of their wins was against a 1A team

No problem here with limited points, or no points, when playing down a division. But appo school district is going to want all their schools playing each so that is a knock for appo and Mt. Probably not much they can do about it. Other schools are locked into rivalry games that will always be scheduled regardless of division. It's a conundrum.

I certainly get your bigger point, but just for clarification purposes, Glasgow & Smyrna at 4-6 have the worst records. The 3-7 was a DIAA error.
4-6 Would not get you in no state Tourney in no other State in the USA.. smh.. Embarrassing say the least.. Reason why .. Too many divisions. For what.. Should of kept it D-1 and D-2.. Can not feel sorry for schools that can't win.. smh

Reactions: Seerock9223
NJ has teams as low as 3-6 make the playoffs. Actually a lot states have teams under .500 make their tourney, not going to list them all. 8-8-8 works out fine for DE, IMO. If you cut 3A to 4 teams in then teams like Smyrna, MT, Sals will only schedule slappies OOS and no one from 2A will ever want to move up.

Does anybody know the dates for the state finals games? I have seen Saturday Dec 2nd all year but just recently seen Thursday Nov 30th. Not sure if that was a mistake of UD has something scheduled.

I believe in Virginia I just read a story where a 10-0 team played a 1-9 team in the playoffs and beat them 104-0. So it seems like most teams make it in there as well
When you have a lot of schools you can do stuff like that. In Delaware it doesn't make much sense. Many teams will play each other twice in a season. That happened at times when the Tourney was at 4 teams. Now it happens a lot more.

Does anybody know the dates for the state finals games? I have seen Saturday Dec 2nd all year but just recently seen Thursday Nov 30th. Not sure if that was a mistake of UD has something scheduled.
It has to do if UD has a home playoff game that weekend. If they do then united and 3A play Thursday and 1A and 2A play Friday. If UD doesn't have a game they will all play Saturday

It has to do if UD has a home playoff game that weekend. If they do then united and 3A play Thursday and 1A and 2A play Friday. If UD doesn't have a game they will all play Saturday
If there’s no Saturday UD game, Unified & 3A will play Friday night. 1A & 2A play Saturday.

4-6 Would not get you in no state Tourney in no other State in the USA.. smh.. Embarrassing say the least.. Reason why .. Too many divisions. For what.. Should of kept it D-1 and D-2.. Can not feel sorry for schools that can't win.. smh
Let’s not act like Smyrna couldn’t have scheduled 2 in-state cupcake opponents to start the season & easily went 6-4. Bottom line is DE football is not on the level that other states are on as a whole, so I don’t have a problem w/ our better teams scheduling good competition out of state & still making the tournament in state. Prime example…4-6 Smyrna went on the road & beat Central to end the season & Central is our #2 seed in the tournament.

NJ has teams as low as 3-6 make the playoffs. Actually a lot states have teams under .500 make their tourney, not going to list them all. 8-8-8 works out fine for DE, IMO. If you cut 3A to 4 teams in then teams like Smyrna, MT, Sals will only schedule slappies OOS and no one from 2A will ever want to move up.
Maybe cut it to 6, with a bye for the top 2 teams?

Does anyone have a "underdog" in each class they would like to see pull an upset or "defy" the odds and win a title? Me personally my "underdogs" are FSMA, Laurel, Appo. FSMA I would like to see them get their 1st, Laurel so a small downstate school get a 3 peat and I think alot of people counted them out from the begining of the season since they moved up to 2A, Appo just because I would like to hear another school other than Middletown and Smyrna.

Reactions: p.walleye
If there’s no Saturday UD game, Unified & 3A will play Friday night. 1A & 2A play Saturday.
I don't think so. In a press release from late October, UD said the complex is not available because of potential FCS playoff games and other events scheduled that weekend. The high school games will be Thursday and Friday unless the DIAA can make a quick switch to Del State.

Let’s not act like Smyrna couldn’t have scheduled 2 in-state cupcake opponents to start the season & easily went 6-4. Bottom line is DE football is not on the level that other states are on as a whole, so I don’t have a problem w/ our better teams scheduling good competition out of state & still making the tournament in state. Prime example…4-6 Smyrna went on the road & beat Central to end the season & Central is our #2 seed in the tournament.
I don't care if Smyrna went 2-6.. DE has too many schools in football tournaments.. When population say stick to D-1 and D-2.. This is not YMCA.. Feel sorry and let everyone get a chance to win title.. smh.. That's just facts...

I don't care if Smyrna went 2-6.. DE has too many schools in football tournaments.. When population say stick to D-1 and D-2.. This is not YMCA.. Feel sorry and let everyone get a chance to win title.. smh.. That's just facts...
If we are talking about allowing less teams in the tournament then I 100% get that, but if we are going to take 8 out of the 12 (which really is ridiculous) then Smyrna is definitely top 8 no matter what their record is.

If we are talking about allowing less teams in the tournament then I 100% get that, but if we are going to take 8 out of the 12 (which really is ridiculous) then Smyrna is definitely top 8 no matter what their record is.
Correct . Less teams.. 100% Dmyrna is top 8 too..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT