ADVERTISEMENT

Practice or Workout?

Dec 8, 2020
Not sure of the rule so figured I would ask the “board”.
I understand that coaches can set up meetings and lifting workouts/conditioning out of season.
Now the not so obvious. Are they allowed to do this on weekends? Can they run plays and throw balls all around the field? Implement there O and D?
I thought I knew the answer to this. I thought the answer was NO.
If it is a NO- there is a team breaking the rules…
Just wish DIAA made it clear, if it is clear than enforce the rules!

I understand that coaches can set up meetings and lifting workouts/conditioning out of season.
Now the not so obvious. Are they allowed to do this on weekends? Can they run plays and throw balls all around the field? Implement there O and D?

There are some practices for the 7v7 allowed. Not sure when that starts. Definitely not until summer. The players can get together and do whatever they want as long is it is not on school grounds and no coach present. Can be on school grounds if it an open gym or open field situation where anyone can come.

Certainly nothing that would look like spring practice is allowed.

Some teams have gotten around the rules by doing a camp that is supposedly for anyone that wants to attend. Like RLCA did a flexbone camp back when a previous coach was coming in and that was the O they were going to run but it was "optional" and "open to anyone" who wanted to learn it.. wink wink

During the NCC 7v7 season they only get 1 practice per week (90 minutes) and it has to be 7v7 specific. ei.. no blocking, tackling type drill, running plays, handing off, ball handling, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody_Wood
4.1.1.2 No Member School shall participate in spring football games nor shall a Member School conduct football practice of any type outside of the regular fall sports season except when participating in the state tournament. “Organized football” or “organized football practice" shall be defined as any type of sport which is organized to promote efficiency in any of the various aspects of football. Touch football, featuring blocking, tackling, ball handling, signaling, etc. shall be considered "organized football" and shall be illegal under the intent of this rule.

7.6 Coaching Out of Season

7.6.1 From August 2nd through the first day after the last spring sport DIAA state tournament event, a certified, emergency, or volunteer coach shall not be allowed to provide instruction out of the designated season in their assigned sport to any student registered in the school at which he or she coaches.

6.5 Conditioning Programs

6.5.1 A Member School may conduct a conditioning program in accordance with the following provisions:

6.5.1.1 The conditioning program must be available to all interested students, must not be restricted to members of a particular team, and must be publicized as such.

6.5.1.2 Student participation must be voluntary. The conditioning program must not be a prerequisite for trying out for a particular team.

6.5.1.3 Permissible activities include stretching, lifting weights, jumping rope, running, calisthenics, aerobics, and similar generic conditioning activities. Organized drills in the skills or techniques of a particular sport are prohibited.

6.5.1.4 A coach may not provide instruction in sport-specific skills or techniques.

6.5.1.5 Sport-specific equipment is prohibited.

6.5.1.6 The participants must provide their own workout clothing.

6.5.1.7 Conditioning programs may not be limited to members of a particular team, but they are restricted to students enrolled at the school and are not available to students enrolled at other schools regardless of grade.

Last edited:
Its just a shame. They are at it again. I am done after this, talking about that school. DIAA does not care, why should we. Open the flood gates. Practice outside of the season on a weekend. Its out in the open. Clearly they don't care, and why should they - nothing is every done about it, so- do what you want, when you want. DONE! Let the games begin.

Workouts and conditioning are fine (you just have to say everyone is invited). Any specific football activities with coaches present would be a violation. Hard to prove though. In my opinion Delaware should have a spring practice option.

Reactions: Woody_Wood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT