ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings as of 4/1/18

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
Its way too early to rank but i will do my best to start things out for the season...i started with the playoff teams last year and how they finished. Then adjusted based on games played thus far. I'm giving Caravel and St Marks the benefit of the doubt as final four teams from last year. Then out of Appo,Cape and Mtown...Appo beat the best Opponent. Arguably a case could be made for CR, IR, Hodgson and potentially Sallies. But Sallies is tough since they haven't played.

1 Caravel 2-0 Defending champ and beating Newark Charter/Buena
2 St Marks 2-0 Beat two quality opponents (DMA, StE)
3 Appo 2-0 Beat Conrad, Newark
4 Cape 3-0 Beat Tech, Laurel, Lake
5 Mtown 3-0 Beat DMA, Seaf, Conc
6 Conrad 2-1 Beat DMA, Charter; lost to Appo
7 Hodgson 2-0 Beat Charter and Delcastle
8. CR 3-0 beat FSMA, Milf, Laurel
9. IR 3-0 Beat Wood, Poly, Dover
10 Sallies 0-0 Has not played

Others ; St G (2-0), Delmar (2-1), RLCA (2-0)

First off Cape is #1 until beaten. The fact that you have Appo above both Cape and Middletown is ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as 302sports not having Middletown even in the top 10 last week. Both are Senior laden teams and are giving up less than a run per game. What does that tell you...They have the pitching. Let’s see how Caravel does when Silan doesn’t pitch. Hodgson is top 5 and Conrad lost way too much to be in the top 10.

CR at #8 is a joke, we haven’t played anyone yet, I hope I’m wrong.

Not sure DMA is a quality opponent, they are 0-3

These rankings could change dramatically after tomorrow’s games,

First off Cape is #1 until beaten. The fact that you have Appo above both Cape and Middletown is ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as 302sports not having Middletown even in the top 10 last week. Both are Senior laden teams and are giving up less than a run per game. What does that tell you...They have the pitching. Let’s see how Caravel does when Silan doesn’t pitch. Hodgson is top 5 and Conrad lost way too much to be in the top 10.
When you score 3 runs against a weak team that's why

I think the ranking is fair & balanced. Oldskool notes that the teams at the top are earned partially off last years tournament runs. Welcome to the world of early rankings. I dislike upstate bias as much as anyone but you really can’t argue with what programs like Carvel, St. Marks and Salies do just about every year.

Add quality wins and W-L to the history and you have the ranking. Cape will have plenty of time to show what kind of team they have starting with a big match up v. Middletown Wed. Winner of that game is #1 ranked team AFTER the week (assuming Cape can then beat Milford Friday ... a team that stole a game late from them last year.). Middletown can also show what I think most people in the State know, that the 302 ranking omitting them from top 5 let alone top 10 was ridiculous. Where both teams sit now in this ranking is fine.

CR may not have played 3 top opponents, their record may not hold up BUT right now on 4/2 they earned a spot in top 10. Milford has 2 D1 committed arms (Wake & UVa) hard to say that CR’s win over the Bucs doesn’t count for anything. Good to see IR getting some love. Well deserved.

My only gripe is DMA at 0-3 (a 9-9 team with a weak schedule last year) so quickly being noted as a “quality opponent” for other teams. At this point, I don’t know what they’ve done to earn both 302 & this benefit.

Last edited:
Wasn’t meant to discredit Milford in anyway whatsoever but they are really young this year. They are always gritty and fight hard.

When you score 3 runs against a weak team that's why
MTown bats haven’t been what they can and will be. The pitcher from Concord was very good, keeping hitters off balance. Pitchers always have an adavantage early in the season because kids haven’t seen a lot of live pitching yet, especially with the crappy weather. Doesn’t look good for Cape/MTown tomorrow weather wise. And btw...You can’t base this years rankings off of last years playoffs. Case in point is Conrad. They lost in the Championship but lost most of their impact players. Different year, different rankings. Cape is clearly the team that should start the season 1. Not even debatable.

In comparison, here are the 4/2/18 WDEL Rankings

1) Cape Henlopen (3-0, Last Week: 1)
2) Middletown (3-0, 2)
3) Caravel (2-0, 3)
4) Saint Mark's (2-0, 4)
5) Salesianum (0-0, 5)
6) Appoquinimink (2-0, 8)
7) Indian River (3-0, 10)
8) Dover (1-1, 9)
9) Red Lion (2-0, X)
10) Sussex Central (1-0, X)

Sallies hasn't been relevant since Nowell left. They barely beat weaker teams and are simply not prepared for the big games. Until they prove themselves (and play a game), they shouldn't be ranked in the top 10 but I guess 10 is as good a spot as any. Speaking of Nowell, don't sleep on Hodgson. They have some tough games coming up, so we will see what they are made of.

Sallies hasn't been relevant since Nowell left. They barely beat weaker teams and are simply not prepared for the big games. Until they prove themselves (and play a game), they shouldn't be ranked in the top 10 but I guess 10 is as good a spot as any. Speaking of Nowell, don't sleep on Hodgson. They have some tough games coming up, so we will see what they are made of.
If you look at Sallies schedule you will see they were in Myrtle Beach for a week. Gonna bet they have played some real games just not for the record. Sallies is a top 10 team every year to start.

My only gripe is DMA at 0-3 (a 9-9 team with a weak schedule last year) so quickly being noted as a “quality opponent” for other teams. At this point, I don’t know what they’ve done to earn both 302 & this benefit.

Alot of good teams would be 0-3 starting off with St Marks, Middletown and Conrad. Other than the top teams, most would be lucky to go 1-2. They haven't played a soft schedule in years, and usually are in the top 2-3 teams with bonus points which is what got them in at 9-9 over teams with better records. Last year they played Conrad, Newark Charter, Archmere twice each in conference, plus Hodgson, Appo, Middletown out of conference is a pretty solid schedule. Got to the tournament and shut out Dover and gave Appo all they could handle. Remains to be seen where they end up this year, but until they start losing to non-tournament teams then i think they can be counted as a quality opponent.

Middletown, Cape, and Caravel all have big names and are the clear cut top 3.

Reactions: 84rider and CHS89
Alot of good teams would be 0-3 starting off with St Marks, Middletown and Conrad. Other than the top teams, most would be lucky to go 1-2. They haven't played a soft schedule in years, and usually are in the top 2-3 teams with bonus points which is what got them in at 9-9 over teams with better records. Last year they played Conrad, Newark Charter, Archmere twice each in conference, plus Hodgson, Appo, Middletown out of conference is a pretty solid schedule. Got to the tournament and shut out Dover and gave Appo all they could handle. Remains to be seen where they end up this year, but until they start losing to non-tournament teams then i think they can be counted as a quality opponent.

0-3 = 0-3
9-9 = 9-9

Granted I don’t know upstate schools as well but DMA plays Wilm Christian 2x and lost one of em last year. Last year was by far the best year ever for their conference. The Dover win in last year’s tournament was a good one but Dover was an overachieving reg season team without a top tier starter you like to have in playoffs. Underclass arms provided them most of their innings. I don’t know you get a moral victory from a 4-2 Appo loss. Bottom line a 10-10 season is not usually one to brag off ?

No offense to DMA I just am unfamiliar with any of their players. Do they have any college bound players? I see my fair share of travel baseball and can’t recall seeing any DMA players in that mix. Does lack of college bound and travel experience mean no talent ... of course the answer is NO ... but please help me understand what they have ? CR, Central, Tech, Milford & Dover all have college bound D1 talent and better records and I don’t see the bend over backwards to call them “quality opponents.”

Seriously help me understand talent wise the strength of DMAs team. Pitching ? All state position player potential ? At 0-3 are they still confident they will be a tournament team ?(although I guess that’s not as much of a badge of honor with an expanded size field). I don’t know what definition of “quality opponent” is but I would assume for most people it starts with strongly expected to be a tournament team.

0-3 = 0-3
9-9 = 9-9

Granted I don’t know upstate schools as well but DMA plays Wilm Christian 2x and lost one of em last year. Last year was by far the best year ever for their conference. The Dover win in last year’s tournament was a good one but Dover was an overachieving reg season team without a top tier starter you like to have in playoffs. Underclass arms provided them most of their innings. I don’t know you get a moral victory from a 4-2 Appo loss. Bottom line a 10-10 season is not usually one to brag off ?

No offense to DMA I just am unfamiliar with any of their players. Do they have any college bound players? I see my fair share of travel baseball and can’t recall seeing any DMA players in that mix. Does lack of college bound and travel experience mean no talent ... of course the answer is NO ... but please help me understand what they have ? CR, Central, Tech, Milford & Dover all have college bound D1 talent and better records and I don’t see the bend over backwards to call them “quality opponents.”

Seriously help me understand talent wise the strength of DMAs team. Pitching ? All state position player potential ? At 0-3 are they still confident they will be a tournament team ?(although I guess that’s not as much of a badge of honor with an expanded size field). I don’t know what definition of “quality opponent” is but I would assume for most people it starts with strongly expected to be a tournament team.

I would consider all of those henlopen teams you mention as quality opponents. Depends on definition of it I guess. I think after the top 5 teams in the state, there are probably about 20 teams that on any given day could in that next tier. Beating one of them would be a quality win in my book. Not sure all the travel teams, but they had a handful of Sabres and MSI/ASBA guys the last couple years.

The Wilmington Christian loss you reference came against this guy. https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=510041 he is probably the best unknown pitcher in the state. They year before as a sophmore he 1-hit a 13 win St George's team out of the playoffs. I'm not as familiar with their current position players at DMA, but last year's class sent two players(Pitcher and catcher) to D2 schools. The '16 class had an infielder and an outfielder both play college ball. The '14 class had Tyler Hill currently in the Red Sox system. Might not be D1 commits, but not shabby. Don't know their expectations for the season going forward, just saw them singled out and given the weak schedule note and didnt agree. Think a team that schedules St Marks and Middletown out of the gate deserves a chance to play more games before judgement. They got Newark today and Archmere Friday. after that we should know where they belong.

Yeah, when's the last time they won anything?

Besides St Marks and Caravel no one has been very relevant the last 15 years. St Marks has 9 championships, Caravel 4. Appo and Sallies have one each since 2003. No one else has any!

Hodgson 12-11 over CR in 9 innings. Hodgson walked 16 batters and committed 5 errors. (Good thing CR walked 16 as well and committed 2 errors) CR seemed to show heart (at least on GC boxscore fighting back from down 8-0)

At full strength pitching going into the game, even with an earned win over a 3-0 team, this doesn’t exactly inspire Top 10 worthy confidence.

Sure seemed like a very sloppy game on GC

Guess Ws are all that matter Hodgson is going to go 2-0 against Henlopen Conference today ... now up 12-0 on Milford. I guess that 2 games in a day partially explains lack of pitching in game 1?

Ok you need to stop riding your sons team and take a step back to look at middletowns extremely easy schedule. Considering the teams they played they should be considered 0-0 still. Too bad their game got cancelled, I was looking forward to watching them get destroyed by cape. Cape has 3 good kids and these are the same kids that have been on the team for the past years of failures so don’t rank them high until they back it up. I would love to see how Middletown would match up against 9 out of state teams like caravels schedule. Middletown wouldn’t even make it to the playoffs if that was the case.

Hodgson 12-11 over CR in 9 innings. Hodgson walked 16 batters and committed 5 errors. (Good thing CR walked 16 as well and committed 2 errors) CR seemed to show heart (at least on GC boxscore fighting back from down 8-0)

At full strength pitching going into the game, even with an earned win over a 3-0 team, this doesn’t exactly inspire Top 10 worthy confidence.

Sure seemed like a very sloppy game on GC
Wow 32 walks in one game

Isn’t this so much fun , all this arguing about who’s better than who ! We’re just to impatient to wait for it all to play out. Also is it better that we don’t know who each other is on here or is that half the fun ?

Ok you need to stop riding your sons team and take a step back to look at middletowns extremely easy schedule. Considering the teams they played they should be considered 0-0 still. Too bad their game got cancelled, I was looking forward to watching them get destroyed by cape. Cape has 3 good kids and these are the same kids that have been on the team for the past years of failures so don’t rank them high until they back it up. I would love to see how Middletown would match up against 9 out of state teams like caravels schedule. Middletown wouldn’t even make it to the playoffs if that was the case.
I’m not one who hides my affiliation with Middletown and that my son is on the team. I give my opinions on this board as that’s what it’s for. I also have a son that won a State Championship at Caravel, so I also have an affiliation with them so take a breath. I know all about Caravel’s strength of schedule every year. If we’re talking easy schedules so far this year, Caravel had a shootout with and 0-3 NC team and won 4-0 over Buena. Silan started both games. And as far as MTown’s past year’s “failures”, I think being back to back conference champs going 14-4 both seasons is far from failure. Lost to Caravel in the Semis two years ago but lost in the first round to Hodgson last year. The two teams meet in the regular season finale so we will see what happens then.

Just saw that you just joined yesterday and that was your first post. Not bad. Welcome to the club. Don’t take things so personally. Are you a player or a player’s Mom???

Last edited:
Reactions: urbaseballdaddy
This is a discussion board. We are having a discussion about who we think the better teams in the state are.

Dam my bad I was looking for crock pot recipes. Wrong forum !!!

Umm that’s what I was referring to just saying this is all funny. I get it I’m doing the same thing.

God is great , beer is good and people are crazy !

Reactions: 84rider
IMO there is no clear cut #1 . Cape has had the same three players for four years and haven't been number 1 seed in any of those years , yes the three kids everyone talks about are good , but they have one of the easiest schedules out there so it will be hard to judge just where they stand .
IMO there are 3-5 teams that could end up the one seed and with only three games played and the weather that some are playing in is hard to judge where teams end up seeded .
my top 5 not in any order
Cape , Caravel , Middletown , Sallies , St Marks

Reactions: truestatements1
St Mark's and Caravel have been dominate for past 15 years due to: 1) talent 2) coaching . Some years the coaching at these programs has won with less talent , some years was simply talent. Some both. Appo had big talent, and good coaching when they won. Usually takes both talent, and coaching to win it. MTown, Caravel, Cape H, all have very good supporting casts to go with the pitching. St. Marks, Appo have talent, and Coaches that have proven can win. Should be fun!!

Reactions: 84rider
IMO there is no clear cut #1 . Cape has had the same three players for four years and haven't been number 1 seed in any of those years , yes the three kids everyone talks about are good , but they have one of the easiest schedules out there so it will be hard to judge just where they stand .
IMO there are 3-5 teams that could end up the one seed and with only three games played and the weather that some are playing in is hard to judge where teams end up seeded .
my top 5 not in any order
Cape , Caravel , Middletown , Sallies , St Marks

How does Cape have one of the easiest schedules ? They play in the Henlopen which is arguably been one of the toughest the past few years , how many teams did they send to the tournament last year , 6 is the number !?!?! And their out of conference schedule is St Marks , Sallies , Middletown, and Appo those 4 are all preseason top 10 teams that will make the tournament plus they play powerhouse Riverdale Baptist out of DC who’s a top 15 in the country in every poll out there ! Last year they played 11 of 18 games vs playoff teams.

Middletown is loaded with pitching for sure. Played back to back to back days, and didn’t even throw loper who is a del state commit.

CHS89.... I put rankings out that IN MY OPINION are fair and you call them ridiculous. Then you go on to say because Mtown and Cape are senior laden they should be #1. Thats just silly. That makes them favorites...to be ranked you have to prove it. Then you discount Caravel because they used their best pitcher. I'm not tied to any team. My kid hasn't played in years. Its more than debateable who should be #1. You can't go on potential. I'm going on respect for last years finish, current performance THUS FAR and a little potential. I can assure you i don't willy nilly throw names out there. I try to carefully analyze what teams have done, who played who, common opponents etc etc etc. and i do my best. But its just my opinion. Its IMPOSSIBLE to be correct especially this early.

But i looked at Mtown like this...they beat DMA...so did St Marks and Conrad. People are discounting DMA but they lost to three good teams that i would call in my top ten at this point. Mtown also beat Concord and Seaford...two teams that i would say aren't so good (though Concord might be not so bad).

So i compared St Marks to Mtown. St Marks gets a bonus in my eyes for being in the championship game last year...but that aside...St Marks beat DMA like Mtown did...so thats a wash. St Marks also beat St E. St E is a better team than Concord (so i thought) and Seaford...so it was easy in my eyes...St Marks deserves a higher ranking than Mtown AT THAT POINT.

Caravel had two wins, is coming off a championship and has one of the better pitchers in the state. I'm giving them some respect and keeping them at 1.

Appo...they beat a pretty decent Conrad team and a not so good Newark team. Do i have them overranked...probably. But i looked at them versus Mtown...i think Conrad is still better than DMA...so in my opinion, Appo beat the tougher team. Do i think Appo is better than Mtown...probably not. But Appo beat the tougher opponent.

Cape...impressive with tons of potential which they have had for a while. Are they are a clear favorite this season. ABSOLUTELY. Have they beaten anyone half way decent yet this year? NO. In fact i probably did Mtown an injustice, Mtown should probably be above Cape.

As for some other teams people questioned. I think CR has whipped on on some not impressive teams, but outscoring your opponents 54-2 warrants a nod. Besides, for those not thinking they deserve to be in the top 10, who would be higher then them at this point. Jeez lets give them a little credit early on.

As for Hodgson i think they will be in the top 5 discussion all year, but two shutouts against bad teams...it was hard to move them higher.

Bottom line...its early. I do the rankings but they don't mean anything. I am confident i'm fair, relatively informed but its all subjective. My main purpose is to get information out there and elicit discussion. I try to see most of the teams at least once but i rely on others observations (tainted or not). I absolutely encourage the feedback and discussion of everyones opinions.

Last edited:
@oldskool42, great job as usual. After reading your train of thought, I agree with your rankings. Appreciate the time and effort. Also, I understand these are your opinions and they are unbiased. They achieved there purpose, they stirred thought and debate.

How does Cape have one of the easiest schedules ? They play in the Henlopen which is arguably been one of the toughest the past few years , how many teams did they send to the tournament last year , 6 is the number !?!?! And their out of conference schedule is St Marks , Sallies , Middletown, and Appo those 4 are all preseason top 10 teams that will make the tournament plus they play powerhouse Riverdale Baptist out of DC who’s a top 15 in the country in every poll out there ! Last year they played 11 of 18 games vs playoff teams.
I'm not trying to discount anything Cape does this season but the Henelopen teams that made playoffs last season not one was ranked in top 10 the only team from henelopen was Cape that made it to the quarter finals and again its just my opinion . I know its early but I don't believe the henelopen will be as good as last year , they lost a lot of key players on each team .
Appo lost the entire starting pitching staff . which leaves Cape with 4 tough games St Marks , Sallies , Middletown and Riverdale .
I also was comparing the teams that I believe have a chance for one seed and all the teams play each other with the exception of Caravel/Cape and I believe Capes schedule is the easiest out of those 5 ??

Reactions: urbaseballdaddy
Just saw that you just joined yesterday and that was your first post. Not bad. Welcome to the club. Don’t take things so personally. Are you a player or a player’s Mom???

Is this the first thing you do every morning mr.Gold? Did you even say hi to your family this morning?

In regards to Cape's schedule its a pretty tough schedule coming into the season. They play 10 of last years playoff teams and games against 12 teams that had winning records last year. They are forced to play 13 conference foes and their non conference teams are their 5 out of conference opponents are 4 of the better teams in the state (Appo, St marks, Mtown, Sallies) and a national powerhouse. Thats an A+ effort in scheduling one of the toughest schedules. Granted Henlopen looks to be a little down this year, but they are still rival games.

As for the other teams schedules...

Mtown plays 11 Playoff teams from last year. Out of conference games (by choice) DMA, Seaford, Cape, RLCA, Smyrna, Dover, St E, Conrad, St Marks and Caravel. pretty impressive.

Appo plays 11 playoff teams. Out of conference games: DMA, Cape, Smyrna, St E, Conrad, St Marks, Newark Charter, Sallies, St Georges, Wood. Pretty impressive

Hodgson plays 10 playoff teams. OOC games: DMA, Charter, CR, Milford, St E, Poly, St Marks, Caravel, St G, Archmere. Impressive

St Marks plays 14 playoff teams. DMA, ST E twice, Sallies twice, Arch, Appo, Mtown, Cape, IR, Hodgson, Conrad, Smyrna, Tech,...probably the toughest

Caravel...who knows. Usually the toughest

Sallies plays 12 playoff teams. Newark Charter, Cape, St E twice, St Marks twice, Caravel, Appo, Conrad, St G, Archmere, IR, Central, Tech

Reactions: baseballguy68
CHS89.... I put rankings out that IN MY OPINION are fair and you call them ridiculous. Then you go on to say because Mtown and Cape are senior laden they should be #1. Thats just silly. That makes them favorites...to be ranked you have to prove it. Then you discount Caravel because they used their best pitcher. I'm not tied to any team. My kid hasn't played in years. Its more than debateable who should be #1. You can't go on potential. I'm going on respect for last years finish, current performance THUS FAR and a little potential. I can assure you i don't willy nilly throw names out there. I try to carefully analyze what teams have done, who played who, common opponents etc etc etc. and i do my best. But its just my opinion. Its IMPOSSIBLE to be correct especially this early.

But i looked at Mtown like this...they beat DMA...so did St Marks and Conrad. People are discounting DMA but they lost to three good teams that i would call in my top ten at this point. Mtown also beat Concord and Seaford...two teams that i would say aren't so good (though Concord might be not so bad).

So i compared St Marks to Mtown. St Marks gets a bonus in my eyes for being in the championship game last year...but that aside...St Marks beat DMA like Mtown did...so thats a wash. St Marks also beat St E. St E is a better team than Concord (so i thought) and Seaford...so it was easy in my eyes...St Marks deserves a higher ranking than Mtown AT THAT POINT.

Caravel had two wins, is coming off a championship and has one of the better pitchers in the state. I'm giving them some respect and keeping them at 1.

Appo...they beat a pretty decent Conrad team and a not so good Newark team. Do i have them overranked...probably. But i looked at them versus Mtown...i think Conrad is still better than DMA...so in my opinion, Appo beat the tougher team. Do i think Appo is better than Mtown...probably not. But Appo beat the tougher opponent.

Cape...impressive with tons of potential which they have had for a while. Are they are a clear favorite this season. ABSOLUTELY. Have they beaten anyone half way decent yet this year? NO. In fact i probably did Mtown an injustice, Mtown should probably be above Cape.

As for some other teams people questioned. I think CR has whipped on on some not impressive teams, but outscoring your opponents 54-2 warrants a nod. Besides, for those not thinking they deserve to be in the top 10, who would be higher then them at this point. Jeez lets give them a little credit early on.

As for Hodgson i think they will be in the top 5 discussion all year, but two shutouts against bad teams...it was hard to move them higher.

Bottom line...its early. I do the rankings but they don't mean anything. I am confident i'm fair, relatively informed but its all subjective. My main purpose is to get information out there and elicit discussion. I try to see most of the teams at least once but i rely on others observations (tainted or not). I absolutely encourage the feedback and discussion of everyones opinions.
Putting Appo above Cape and MTown right now is ridiculous. I stand by that. Appo lost the entire pitching staff. They haven’t beaten either team in at least two seasons. MTown is finally healthy with Dunn, Wootten and Walls back on the mound. They haven’t even used Loper or McClendon yet. Why would anyone rank them higher right now? Caravel started Silan the first two games. Not saying I wouldn’t have done the same. They don’t have the pitching depth of Cape or MTown. I think it’s just lazy to give credit to last years champ or pedigree. St. Mark’s lost Sullivan and Ludman. I know they’ll be fine with Dubecq and Tomovich, etc. I rely on my eyes and ears. It would be hard to see more games than I do. I know, at least upstate, most of the best kids. I’ve either coached them, coached against them or know them from years of travel ball. You’re entitled to your opinion. I just don’t think your basis for ranking teams is valid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT