ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings as of 4/1/18

And btw oldskool...I base my early rankings on returning talent and not what a team did the previous year. Caravel lost Juhl, Adams and Jones. All four year starters or major contributors. They also lost Nelson to Friends. No way I think they should be 1 right now strictly based on what they lost. Maybe at the end. Who knows. I already mentioned St. Mark’s. Both Cape and MTown have a few four year starters and didn’t lose nearly as much. Well, at least we have some debate going. Keep it up.

Hey noobie...Go to practice or do your homework. Let the adults debate.[/QUOTE
And btw oldskool...I base my early rankings on returning talent and not what a team did the previous year. Caravel lost Juhl, Adams and Jones. All four year starters or major contributors. They also lost Nelson to Friends. No way I think they should be 1 right now strictly based on what they lost. Maybe at the end. Who knows. I already mentioned St. Mark’s. Both Cape and MTown have a few four year starters and didn’t lose nearly as much. Well, at least we have some debate going. Keep it up.
Middletown has no hitters other then Walls

Mtown may have the deepest staff if all healthy, once you get down to actual pitching , aka throwing strikes. Caravel also has three very good pitchers. On paper , nod probably goes to Cape H., but that was said by many this time last year also, and then actual games were played/coached. Lots of good players throughout, some develop and mature more than others from last year to this year. good job oldskool, got lots of interest

I don’t know I’m going to say Cape has best arms when they’re on. Middletown is solid but I wouldn’t want to see any of Cape’s pitchers on a good day. Yeah

CHS89.... I put rankings out that IN MY OPINION are fair and you call them ridiculous. Then you go on to say because Mtown and Cape are senior laden they should be #1. Thats just silly. That makes them favorites...to be ranked you have to prove it. Then you discount Caravel because they used their best pitcher. I'm not tied to any team. My kid hasn't played in years. Its more than debateable who should be #1. You can't go on potential. I'm going on respect for last years finish, current performance THUS FAR and a little potential. I can assure you i don't willy nilly throw names out there. I try to carefully analyze what teams have done, who played who, common opponents etc etc etc. and i do my best. But its just my opinion. Its IMPOSSIBLE to be correct especially this early.

But i looked at Mtown like this...they beat DMA...so did St Marks and Conrad. People are discounting DMA but they lost to three good teams that i would call in my top ten at this point. Mtown also beat Concord and Seaford...two teams that i would say aren't so good (though Concord might be not so bad).

So i compared St Marks to Mtown. St Marks gets a bonus in my eyes for being in the championship game last year...but that aside...St Marks beat DMA like Mtown did...so thats a wash. St Marks also beat St E. St E is a better team than Concord (so i thought) and Seaford...so it was easy in my eyes...St Marks deserves a higher ranking than Mtown AT THAT POINT.

Caravel had two wins, is coming off a championship and has one of the better pitchers in the state. I'm giving them some respect and keeping them at 1.

Appo...they beat a pretty decent Conrad team and a not so good Newark team. Do i have them overranked...probably. But i looked at them versus Mtown...i think Conrad is still better than DMA...so in my opinion, Appo beat the tougher team. Do i think Appo is better than Mtown...probably not. But Appo beat the tougher opponent.

Cape...impressive with tons of potential which they have had for a while. Are they are a clear favorite this season. ABSOLUTELY. Have they beaten anyone half way decent yet this year? NO. In fact i probably did Mtown an injustice, Mtown should probably be above Cape.

As for some other teams people questioned. I think CR has whipped on on some not impressive teams, but outscoring your opponents 54-2 warrants a nod. Besides, for those not thinking they deserve to be in the top 10, who would be higher then them at this point. Jeez lets give them a little credit early on.

As for Hodgson i think they will be in the top 5 discussion all year, but two shutouts against bad teams...it was hard to move them higher.

Bottom line...its early. I do the rankings but they don't mean anything. I am confident i'm fair, relatively informed but its all subjective. My main purpose is to get information out there and elicit discussion. I try to see most of the teams at least once but i rely on others observations (tainted or not). I absolutely encourage the feedback and discussion of everyones opinions.

Lot of facts and opinions in your words. I have very little to dispute BUT I think you are being too hard on Sussex Tech not considering them even a “decent” win for Cape. I’d say Tech is a likely tournament team and sit at 2-1 outside their loss to Cape with wins over Newark & William Penn. (Tied 2-2 in halted game with Smyrna) Cape's only 1 unearned and no earned runs allowed in 3 games, with 2 no hitters using 3 different starting pitchers ... I think that’s a little bit more than just potential & warrants your original assessment of Cape over Mtown. Maybe ...Maybe Caravel's #2 & #3 arms could pitch no hitters against Laurel and Lake BUT that is the true potential isn't it? If you are factoring it all in ... and take in consideration everything you can’t discount a team doing it with one pitcher (Caravel) and one doing it with 3 when the end rankings require to win 4 games in 7 days. For now Caravel has history of winning, are defending champ and have excellent coaching with 2 good wins .. so sure again no issue with them as your one for NOW.

Appo is not over ranked. They are a top 5 level team and will be a tough win for any team in the state. Davis has demonstrated he is a solid #1 and Appo's lineup compares favorably with your top 5 teams. (2 of top 3 batters are D1 bats and production has been coming from the bottom as well.)

Hodgson (at least on GC) looked like a bad little league team yesterday giving up 16 walks and committing 7 errors to hold on an beat CR in extras 12-11. In the end as a Sussex guy it hurts to see their bottom-line two wins over Henlopen teams BUT others can spare me the talk that they should be ranked higher off that game.

I go back to my view that with 2 wins this week (Middletown & Milford) by Cape or with a Mtown win over Cape ... the winner of the Cape v Middletown game takes over even your #1 next week ??
Edit wait does St. Marks have Archmere, Appo & IR ... Wed, Thurs Friday ? ... I’ll stick with my assessment Cape v Mtown but I guess that could make for a compelling case with 3 wins. We just need to wait and see what’s next from these teams and oldskool.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldskool42
Middletown has no hitters other then Walls
Again...Back it up with facts. Averaged 8 runs a game last year with 6 out of 8 returning starters. Have scored 20 runs in three games so far and the team overall isn’t hitting well yet. McClendon and Weber have started strong. McClendon, Weber and Netsch have each hit a HR. The rest will come along I believe. You don’t bring much truth...truthaboutsports.

Reactions: SussexBaseball
Again...Back it up with facts. Averaged 8 runs a game last year with 6 out of 8 returning starters. Have scored 20 runs in three games so far and the team overall isn’t hitting well yet. McClendon and Weber have started strong. McClendon, Weber and Netsch have each hit a HR. The rest will come along I believe. You don’t bring much truth...truthaboutsports.
Most of hits came against number 3-4 starters

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT