Rankings as of Sunday April 23, 2017

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
1. Conrad (9-0). Beat Sals, StMks,DMA, Arch
2. Appo (9-1). Beat Sals,StMks,NewChrt,Smy&Hod lost to Mtown
3. Sals (8-3). Beat Carv,StMks,Cape,Tech,StG lost to Appo, Conrad and NewChrt
4. Caravel (7-3). Beat StMks, Cape, Smy, Poly, Hod. Lost to Sals
5. St Marks (7-4). Beat Arch, Hod, StE, StE. Lost to All top 4.
6. Mtown (8-1). Beat Appo, StG, DMA lost to Cape.
7. Milford (6-4). Beat Cape, Tech, TH lost Smy, StG, Arch, Laurel
8. Newark Charter (6-2). Beat Sals, Arch, DMA lost to Appo, StE
9. Cape (5-4). Beat MTown. Lost to Sals, Carv, Milf, Smy
10. Dover ((8-1). Beat Smy, Poly lost to Parkside

Others
Smyrna - beat Cape. Lost to Dover
Poly - beat Arch
Arch - beat Milf. Lost to poly, Conrad, StMks, NC
Tech - lost to Milf and Sals
StG - beat Milf. Lost Sals,Gls, Mtown
DMA - lost to Mtown, Conrad, NC
Delmar - beat Smy lost to Wood ?? & Laurel ???
Hodgson - lost to Appo, Caravel, St Marks
Tower Hill - beat St E. lost to Milford, DMA
StE - beat NC. Lost to TH and St Marks twice

Last edited:
I'd say this is a very good ranking. State is truly wide open. Conrad looks good but gonna be tough come tourney time when they only have a couple games against top teams under their belt. That's why teams like Sals, STM, Caravel and Appo are ready.

1. Conrad (9-0). Beat Sals, StMks,DMA, Arch
2. Appo (9-1). Beat Sals,StMks,NewChrt,Smy&Hod lost to Mtown
3. Sals (8-3). Beat Carv,StMks,Cape,Tech,StG lost to Appo, Conrad and NewChrt
4. Caravel (7-3). Beat StMks, Cape, Smy, Poly, Hod. Lost to Sals
5. St Marks (7-4). Beat Arch, Hod, StE, StE. Lost to All top 4.
6. Mtown (8-1). Beat Appo, StG, DMA lost to Cape.
7. Milford (6-4). Beat Cape, Tech, TH lost Smy, StG, Arch, Laurel
8. Newark Charter (6-2). Beat Sals, Arch, DMA lost to Appo, StE
9. Cape (5-4). Beat MTown. Lost to Sals, Carv, Milf, Smy
10. Dover ((8-1). Beat Smy, Poly lost to Parkside

Others
Smyrna - lost to Dover
Poly - beat Arch
Arch -
Tech -
StG -
DMA
Delmar
Hodgson
Tower Hill
StE

Nice piece of analysis.

Conrad plays a pretty good schedule. Already have wins against Sallies, St.Marks, DMA and Archmere. Still have to play N.Charter twice, DMA and Archmere again. Play a very good Middletown team also a good St.Georges team their schedule isn't bad at all.

1. Conrad
2.Appo
3.Sallies
4.Caravel
5. St Marks
6.M-Town
7. Newark Charter
9. Dover
10. Milford/Archmere

WDEL Monday 4-24-17 Rankings

1) Conrad (9-0, 5)

2) Appoquinimink (9-1, 1)

3) Caravel (7-3, 2)

4) Middletown (8-1, 6)

5) Dover (8-1, 4)

6) Salesianum (8-3, 9)

7) St. Mark's (7-4, 3)

8) Newark Charter (6-2, 8)

9) DMA (7-3, 10)

10) Milford (6-4, X)

Wow...not sure about those WDEL rankings.

I'm sorry, but DMA is not a top ten team. Their only win over a top twenty team is against Tower Hill. And Tower HIll being in the top 20 is a stretch on my part. They did play well against Mtown and Conrad. But i would have Cape, Smyrna over them for sure. I would also have Poly, Arch and St G over them too.

I also can't see Dover in the top 5. They haven't played a single top ten team.

8yaz...i respect your opinion. But those losses were against THE 4 best teams in the state (in my opinion). 3 were by a single run. I can see the argument to move Mtown to five, but the 9-0 loss to Cape bothers me. Cape is a very good team who is having trouble pulling out the win against really good teams. But losing to Cape 9-0 is a huge statement. So in my opinion St Marks is a clear #5 over Mtown.

Wow...not sure about those WDEL rankings.

I'm sorry, but DMA is not a top ten team. Their only win over a top twenty team is against Tower Hill. And Tower HIll being in the top 20 is a stretch on my part. They did play well against Mtown and Conrad. But i would have Cape, Smyrna over them for sure. I would also have Poly, Arch and St G over them too.

I also can't see Dover in the top 5. They haven't played a single top ten team.

8yaz...i respect your opinion. But those losses were against THE 4 best teams in the state (in my opinion). 3 were by a single run. I can see the argument to move Mtown to five, but the 9-0 loss to Cape bothers me. Cape is a very good team who is having trouble pulling out the win against really good teams. But losing to Cape 9-0 is a huge statement. So in my opinion St Marks is a clear #5 over Mtown.
Ok Oldskool about the Cape game. It was freezing cold. Austin Elliot throws upper 80's to 90. He shut down a potent Middletown lineup that day. He's probably the best overall player in the state in my opinion. Middletown puts up over 9 runs a game and was leading St. G 16-1 when they pulled all of their starters. Have seen St. Mark's four times this year and they don't hit up and down the lineup. Great pitching and little offense. It's absolutely not clear to have them over Middletown. How many games have you seen of both teams? Middletown is on a 7 game winning streak, including beating #1 Appo. Isn't it about what you've done lately? What has St. Mark's done?

Last edited:
Jeez CHS89...its just my opinion. I like Mtown... I don't discount that Mtown faced one of the best pitchers in the state. But remember too that Mtown had its best pitcher on the mound as well. Its no shame to lose to a great team like Cape...but losing 9-0 isnt just losing. Thats getting crushed regardless of the weather or anything else. St Marks went against a great pitcher, Silan from Caravel and got 1 hit. But only lost 1-0 in that game.

Mtown is obviously a good team. I didn't expect them to beat Appo. I was wrong about that and may be wrong about St Marks being better than Mtown at this point. I honestly think that if Mtown and St Marks played a best of three series, St Marks wins 2 games. But thats my opinion.

As for Mtown's 7 game winning streak it included Concord, Newark, CR, MT P, Delcastle as the first five games as well as Appo and St G. Two top 20 teams in there.

St Marks last 7 games - SIX top 20 teams...not 2.

But i will concede that Mtown beat Appo while St Marks lost to Appo. That could be decent argument to rank Mtown higher. But i'm more impressed with the entire resume of St Marks versus Mtown's so far this year. But i was so impressed with Mtown's win over Appo i jumped them to 6th.

This week will be interesting if games are played. St Marks has Seaford and Smyrna while Mtown has Tech, Penn and Glasgow. Mtown should beat all three while St Marks will have a tough time with Smyrna, who is a really good squad. St Marks could lose another game.

Jeez CHS89...its just my opinion. I like Mtown... I don't discount that Mtown faced one of the best pitchers in the state. But remember too that Mtown had its best pitcher on the mound as well. Its no shame to lose to a great team like Cape...but losing 9-0 isnt just losing. Thats getting crushed regardless of the weather or anything else. St Marks went against a great pitcher, Silan from Caravel and got 1 hit. But only lost 1-0 in that game.

Mtown is obviously a good team. I didn't expect them to beat Appo. I was wrong about that and may be wrong about St Marks being better than Mtown at this point. I honestly think that if Mtown and St Marks played a best of three series, St Marks wins 2 games. But thats my opinion.

As for Mtown's 7 game winning streak it included Concord, Newark, CR, MT P, Delcastle as the first five games as well as Appo and St G. Two top 20 teams in there.

St Marks last 7 games - SIX top 20 teams...not 2.

But i will concede that Mtown beat Appo while St Marks lost to Appo. That could be decent argument to rank Mtown higher. But i'm more impressed with the entire resume of St Marks versus Mtown's so far this year. But i was so impressed with Mtown's win over Appo i jumped them to 6th.

This week will be interesting if games are played. St Marks has Seaford and Smyrna while Mtown has Tech, Penn and Glasgow. Mtown should beat all three while St Marks will have a tough time with Smyrna, who is a really good squad. St Marks could lose another game.
You're entitled to your opinion but I shot a giant hole in your statement that St. Mark's should clearly be ranked ahead of Middletown. Like you said, they beat Appo and St. Mark's didn't. Case closed just on that. Middletown is scoring over 9 runs a game even with the Cape shutout in game 2. That's over double what St. Mark's is scoring. I'm backing my boys in the two out of three series as well. I don't hide who I support but I'm as objective as anyone. And I see more games upstate than just about anyone as well.

Middletown is without a doubt a top 5 team. Can't discredit a program due to one loss against a very talented team. It's baseball, anything could happen. Top 5 is Conrad, Appo, Sals, Caravel, MTown.

My comment about St Marks not deserving top 5 anymore wasn't an attempt at getting people to pile onto OldSkool, just my opinion. Oldskool knows by putting out his well thought out rankings every week, he's open, and probably welcomes us taking shots at them. Makes for good bulletin board chatter. I respect his rankings more than I do the News Journals or WDELs that's for sure.

Reactions: oldskool42
MHS also beat #1 Appo without their #1 pitcher Dunn ( no disrespect to Wooten who I like a lot and is very good )

It's good everyone disagrees that's what makes this board interesting. You could make a case for St Marks or Middletown at #5. St.Marks obliviously has more losses but to basically everyone's top 4-5 teams. Only game to judge off is the Appo game where both of them had 6 hits difference was Middletown won instead. Besides that too early to tell because St Marks has played the tougher schedule so far. Middletown Conrad game will tell everything because besides S.Tech and maybe Smyrna Middletown doesn't have anyone good left.

Reactions: oldskool42
My comment about St Marks not deserving top 5 anymore wasn't an attempt at getting people to pile onto OldSkool, just my opinion. Oldskool knows by putting out his well thought out rankings every week, he's open, and probably welcomes us taking shots at them. Makes for good bulletin board chatter. I respect his rankings more than I do the News Journals or WDELs that's for sure.
I agree I believe if People would look at the teams opponents win percentage it may be a little clearer . Opponents records and win percentage
1 Conrad. 41 wins 42 loses. .493
2 Appo. 52 wins 41 loses. .559
3 Caravel 65 wins 33 loses. .663
4 Sallies 63 wins 38 loses .623
5 St Marks 62 wins 38 loses .620
6 Middletown 40 wins 47 loses .459
7 Dover 41 wins 43 loses .488.

This is why I believe we could see a sallies caravel championship this year... teams are ready for the tourney more than anybody

Love the analysis, here's a tad deeper look at 7-3 Caravel. Three one run losses to teams with 29-6 (.829) record (but, WPC is 15-1, so a few more games played). Their wins are vs teams currently 36-27 (.571).

Games still to be played are vs teams 60-38 (.612), but Riverdale Baptist is 20-1 (.952) of that. The rest are 40-37 (.519).

Glasgow on a 6 game win streak, assuming they get by a McKean later today, that will be 7 wins in a row, Middletown might be in for rude awakening vs a HOT Dragons team.

Last edited:
St.George is the only team decent they beat. Middletown is going to embarrass Glasgow. Glasgow is going to find out what it's like to be a good team on Saturday.

Glasgow should be 10-1 but suffered a couple bad losses to AI and WP. Not sure how they lost to those teams but good win against Middletown for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT