ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmages this week(end)

XVikingkid

Mascot
Oct 4, 2016
Any potentially good matchups this weekend? I see Sussex central, st marks, indian river and cape all have a play day on Saturday.

Attended U of D's game today versus Monmouth. That turf field sure is paying off. If it snows, they just plow it off and it's ready to go. Ryan Steckline was 3-6 with 4 RBI in the game. Monmouth crushed UD 15-2. No natural grass field in New Castle County will be playable this weekend

I went to the Cape and IR scrimmage this morning and I don’t know if it was just a bad day for Cape or a really good day for IR. IR tee’d off on Geloff and beat Cape by double digits. Still very early and we all know Cape will win their fair share of games and make a tournament run. IR looks very scrappy

I went to the Cape and IR scrimmage this morning and I don’t know if it was just a bad day for Cape or a really good day for IR. IR tee’d off on Geloff and beat Cape by double digits. Still very early and we all know Cape will win their fair share of games and make a tournament run. IR looks very scrappy

Did you go to the other 2 cape games today ?

I said last week IR was gonna be a tough game for anyone! I really like the way Long has them ready to play they were aggressive at the plate and full of energy. Gelof's numbers weren’t bad 3k’s in the first then 2 misplayed balls in CF by a kid the staff was getting a look at for when Elliott pitches and a force out at home ump said catchers foot was off the plate ok whatever..... credit to IR they did hit a few balls hard , and with errors and base hits combined nothing is more contagious than that . Def think River makes playoffs based off coaching this year it was a great hire for them. Cape looked really good vs Central and St Marks winning both with Erickson and Elliott each starting on the mound. Scrimmages on March 10 mean nothing

Reactions: 84rider
Saw the Poly vs. Lake game and the Poly offense hit several balls hard today. Both teams have decent size on the infield. Outfield play was sloppy with 3 flyballs being dropped but certainly expect that to get cleaned up with more time outside..

Left Poly and drove down to Georgetown to catch the second half of the Cape / Central game. Cape pitching looked good in that game and they went yard 3X too for good measure. Will be interesting when both teams top pitchers square off.

Reactions: urbaseballdaddy
I said last week IR was gonna be a tough game for anyone! I really like the way Long has them ready to play they were aggressive at the plate and full of energy. Gelof's numbers weren’t bad 3k’s in the first then 2 misplayed balls in CF by a kid the staff was getting a look at for when Elliott pitches and a force out at home ump said catchers foot was off the plate ok whatever..... credit to IR they did hit a few balls hard , and with errors and base hits combined nothing is more contagious than that . Def think River makes playoffs based off coaching this year it was a great hire for them. Cape looked really good vs Central and St Marks winning both with Erickson and Elliott each starting on the mound. Scrimmages on March 10 mean nothing

Thanks for some perspective. Seeing "Gelof T'ed up" ... just gotta be fuel and go.

Last edited:
Reactions: XVikingkid
Man I’m jealous. At least some teams got some work in. Some haven’t even been on the field yet. Hopefully this next storm goes out to sea. At least I got to see my man Nate Thomas win a hoops title today. Congrats to him and St. E’s on a big upset win.

IR has some talent, and excellent coaching. will win plenty of games, and can challenge anyone . Not surprising they had success vs. Cape with miscues. That's baseball, any given day.
Sussex Central also has some solid players , and a very good one in Collins. and they always seem to win lots of games, this year probably no different. Have some good pitching, decent defense, and pretty good hitters throughout
Cape Henlopen is scary loaded, dominant pitching (Erickson on another level), plenty of power, speed. Defense is very good, catcher strong accurate arm, infield play looks to be excellent, outfield will be fine with starters
St. Marks is very solid, good players at pretty much all positions, and swing the bats pretty well. and very well coached. they are capable of beating anyone

Notable and upcoming
Smyrna vs Sussex Central
Sallies vs Malvern Prep
St. Georges vs DMA
Milford vs Newark Charter
Caravel vs Dover

I know its early and there just scrimmages but still...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT