ADVERTISEMENT

Smyrna

DEsportsgod

Tackles too high
Nov 18, 2016
Via 1ststatesports twitter

2019 6'11 F/C Abba Lawal @AbbaLawal19 informed me yesterday that he left Smyrna HS and transferred back to Walnut Hills(OH)

#DEHSBasketball

Ball hogs, short sighted ...they didn't get basketball is a team sport especially the kid that shoots bricks from half Court matthews. Someone must have lied to him & told him he was the second coming of Jason Williams or JJ Reddick. Only problem is both Williams & Reddick are very good passers, know when not to shoot & play well with others

Any good gaurd knows you take care of your bigs, they're your workhorses. Keep them happy, keep them feed & they'll work for u. That's how old school gaurds did it & if u watch how good nba gaurds like Chris Paul uses bigs he makes them work for him. I always took care of the bigs when I played, even spent a lot of time getting in their head so they would rebound & defend for me. I happily rewarded them when open inside or when they ran the floor. The return for me was so much greater.

Sad when a player majes a move for those reasons.[/QUOTE To be honest dont know why either the 2 bigs went to Smryna ... But family might was told Smryna was a good basketball program...or they moved in that area and decided they didnt like it....

Was the kid who left any good? He wasn't there the night I saw them against Wm Penn. They still have the 7 footer but he's got height and that's about it.

Last edited:
The head coach determines what plays are run on the floor. Coach doesn't have a focus on bigs. The kids are doing what he tells them to do. Matthews is a good kid and he knows the game. If he had a coach that demanded the ball go inside then he would do it. The boys are coached to shoot the 3 and bigs are suppose to rebound misses. The offense is predicated on 2 positions scoring the 2 and 3 everyone elses job on the floor is to help get that done.

They still have a couple out of state bigs according to other post so they will be good. I think they said they have at least 2 over 6'8 players

The head coach determines what plays are run on the floor. Coach doesn't have a focus on bigs. The kids are doing what he tells them to do. Matthews is a good kid and he knows the game. If he had a coach that demanded the ball go inside then he would do it. The boys are coached to shoot the 3 and bigs are suppose to rebound misses. The offense is predicated on 2 positions scoring the 2 and 3 everyone elses job on the floor is to help get that done.
That sounds like the Concord Model. Bombs Away.

If thats the case. They aint goinng nowhere....

If that's honestly Smyrna's main focus than I don't even know if they win the Henlopen. I get Cape's coach isn't good but talent wise they match up with Smyrna well and maybe even better honestly. Cape has some ground to make up though losing to Lake in anything isn't good..

If that's honestly Smyrna's main focus than I don't even know if they win the Henlopen. I get Cape's coach isn't good but talent wise they match up with Smyrna well and maybe even better honestly. Cape has some ground to make up though losing to Lake in anything isn't good..
Lost to Milford not Lake... They match up easily... But that coach will doom them... Dont Let players play ...

My apologies your right, Milford was the team that lost to Lake. Time will tell between Smyrna and Cape though.

Ball hogs, short sighted ...they didn't get basketball is a team sport especially the kid that shoots bricks from half Court matthews. Someone must have lied to him & told him he was the second coming of Jason Williams or JJ Reddick. Only problem is both Williams & Reddick are very good passers, know when not to shoot & play well with others
Matthews looked pretty good against Wm Penn. In fact, he was as good or better than anyone else on the floor in that game.

Matthews looked pretty good against Wm Penn. In fact, he was as good or better than anyone else on the floor in that game.
William Penn is average... Wait until play the better guards in state... He will get exposed... Gonna wish he had that other big man in the paint...

21 more points tonight
Milford aint nothing... They aint play nobody yet... Beat Tech.. Central.. CR.. And Milford.. Thats Really Hard... First Lost be at Slam Dunk to Beach.... Next to Tuesday... When they finally play somebody...

Agreed. Priorities for a high school age child--student #1 athletics #2.
Don't think he meant the student athlete part. Think he meant sad to see someone leave because of a scheme that doesn't involve him at all when it probably should. Maybe I'm wrong though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT