ADVERTISEMENT

softball tourney

Caravel, despite losing three games this year, including one to Laurel and another to a team that went 6-12, gets the No. 1 seed again. Just doesn't seem right, and while I know that no system is perfect, something should be done. One solution, like I always say for football, is to make all tournament-eligible teams play a conference schedule.

Caravel does a good job scheduling opponents that will net them a good opponent winning %. They also can pick and choose a little different since they are non conference. Either way they are going to have to beat the teams in front of them just like anyone else if they want to advance! If they get by Appo (they should) they'll run into either a tough Sussex Central team that is getting stronger or a very tough CR team.

There are some pretty good first round matchups, it should be interesting!

Yes Caravel does, and you have to respect that it is not afraid to schedule the good teams. I agree too, several of the first and second round games could be good. Archmere/Smyrna, if it happens, is really interesting.

I will take my hat off to Caravel, year in and year out they have a tough schedule and set it up that way (unlike some of their other sport programs). I heard some complaining from the Archmere crowd that they felt they deserved a higher seed, but just look at thier schedule and conference, it has to be one of the weaker in the state.
The downstate teams that are in play tough conference schedules, the reason a 10-8 Delmar team gets in over a decent 12-6 St. Georges team.

Sorry I got the record wrong for St. Georges no disrespect intended...Flight B is so weak it really hurt them in the numbers game. Only Flight B Champ Hodgson and Appo made it to the tourny.

Np. I am just an upset St Gs player parent. Just wondering what they have to go next year with the exact same schedule and if flight B continues to be weak. We only finished 2nd in Flight B this year. I certainly understand having some type of SOS figure in the indexing but if your conference is weak then what. You only have so many non-conference games. I just think that SOS figures in 2/3 of the indexing is too much. What your record is, is worth only 1/3?

SOS has to be a major point of the index or you get a watered down tourny with teams that pad their records with cupcakes and they will. All you can do is win Flight B outright and schedule the Caravels and the good downstate teams.
Year in and year out Caravel has a tough schedule and it helps them, look at thier seed. Archmere has a great player in pitcher Gillen, but thier SOS kills them, great record but a 6 seed I believe. Horrible conference and a weak non-conference schedule.

Just checked their schedule and they played 3 Henlopen teams this year. One that made the playoffs (Poly), one that was close (IR) and one that was competitive (Lake). Not the out of conference schedule I've seen upstate particularily for a team that was much more competitive than most people could have expected. St. G had a great year and return everyone (isn't next year their first year for seniors?). Its no fun to feel shafted but they do have some things to build on.

St.Georges time will come no reason to feel shafted... can't do anything about the conference, but drop Delmarva Christian next year and keep the downstate teams.

The coaches decide before the season starts how they want the tourny field to be picked and the formula with the higher SOS was used this year. The formula does work....teams with tough schedules and SOS year in and year out do well in the tourny. Ask Milford if having a tough schedule was good for them last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT