ADVERTISEMENT

Spring sports

Carney's stay-at-home edict is until May 15 or until the threat is eliminated. I can't see any way we'll have spring sports. Also expect to see proms and all spring theater productions canceled and perhaps graduations.

I talked to someone today who works for a medical research company who believes we're looking at July before the all clear is given. I sure hope he's wrong.

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

DIAA Spring Sports Update

In response to Governor Carney’s Fifth Modification of the Declaration of a State of Emergency for the State of Delaware Due to a Public Health Threat issued on March 22 and order that public schools remain closed through May 15 issued on March 23 to fight the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), Delaware Interscholastic Athletic Association (DIAA) continues with no sport activities for member schools. The spring season is suspended while the Declaration of a State of Emergency is in effect and public schools remain closed.

DIAA will continue to work with the Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) regarding daily updates for matters related to COVID-19. The DIAA Board of Directors will discuss and gather information from the Governor’s Office, DDOE, district, charter and private schools officials, spring sport committee chairs and the Delaware Sports Medicine Advisory Committee over the next few weeks regarding the impact to schools and the possibilities for spring sports once schools reopen.

“DIAA leaders understand this is a disappointing, frustrating and stressful time for all involved. DIAA membership consists of strong leaders including administrators, athletic directors and coaches, and we appreciate your efforts as you lead your respective communities during this challenging time. We will get through this together, and one day when the time is right, we will play again,” Executive Director Donna Polk said.

The DIAA office remains open during the Governor’s stay-at-home order and we will continue to serve the membership. We will provide services remotely and will have access to office phone lines and email.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT