ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship

oldlaxguy

Tackles too high
Apr 2, 2010
My bookie T Lo Lo gave me the top five reasons to bet Sallies in the Championship game.

1. They have a better snack bar at their home field.
2. They have a designated goalie coach.
3. They are better
4. They are much better
5. They are much much better

Although 1 and 2 are true, reasons 3,4 and 5 are the reason they will win by 10.
This post was edited on 5/24 11:15 AM by oldlaxguy

The amazing thing from last night is I thought Tower Hill played very well - better than I have seen them play this year -but they just got overwhelmed.

I see CR scoring a few more goals than TH - they have some talented scorers - but Sallies could score 20+ on them - and that is not a knock on CR.
This post was edited on 5/24 12:21 PM by DELax100

I agree with what everyone is saying about Sallies being very good. Bubba Johnson will get his goals but the thing I really like this year is that Sallies is playing with a chip on their shoulder. Now Head Coach Healy is chiming in and saying he will play CR in a painted parking lot. Sallies will win and they may not stop scoring either. I think Healy slowed it down the second half because they were on pace for a 20 goal game. I expect 20 on Saturday.

Just saw the game is moved to Dover High.

Where do you hear Healy saying anything??? I doubt that's true...but who knows.
This post was edited on 5/24 2:20 PM by laxdude1269

For CR to win on Saturday, Salesianum will have to experience catastrophic failures in “all” aspects of their game while the Riders will have to play the “perfect” game. I don’t see that happening. Lets face it, the Sals will “always“ have ten kids on the field who will be college players some day. They have speed, quickness, size and strength. And they played well against some great out of state teams, four of which would win the Delaware tournament. In comparison the Riders had an extremely easy schedule. The Sals are too skilled and well coached to lose.

All that being said in 2008 the Sals beat Cape 10 to 2 in the first game of the year but lost in the State final to Cape 8 to 7.

In 2010 the Sals beat TH 11 to 7 in the regular season then lost in the State final 5 to 4 in 2OT.

Not saying it will happen again. I think the 2012 Sals are more talented then the 2010 and 2008 editions and they’ve played a big time schedule so I think they win big Saturday. But that’s why we play the games.

Been coaching for a while and Sallies was one of the most organized, discplined and just plain "nasty" teams I have ever seen. Great talent and great coaching. Wish them luck on Saturday.

It is quite clear that many of the statements posted here are opinion based interpretations of what they think will happen in this game. I think in order to make an educated prediction it should be based on facts:

Fact #1- Salesianum is absolutely nasty. Anyone with a lacrosse educated mind who has seen them play undoubtedly knows that they are the best team in the state. They are fast, athletic, well coached, they have depth and strength where they need it most and overall they have the ability compete with the best teams in the country as demonstrated by their schedule.

Fact #2- Salesianum has running clocked every single team in the state of Delaware except for one. Anyone remember who? Caesar Rodney . First game of the year. Anyone at that game? Because a 12-5 score (4-2 at half and 8-4 going into the 4th) does not represent the way that game was played. CR was in the game until the last couple moments. Granted that was the first game of the year and both teams have changed and improved immensely throughout the season as all teams do...but this is not a regular season game it is the state chamoionship. Any anyone who has seen CR play knows that they last thing they are going to do is roll over and die like some of you think they will.

Fact#3- CR has won 17 straight games. You can complain about the schedule if you want but their schedule is the reason they were number one in the tournament. Should they have been #1 maybe not but it need not matter. They not only won the the Henlopen Conference who sent 5 teams to the tournament (any other conference send 5 teams?) they running clocked everyone with the exception of Cape who they beat like drum by 9 goals. So anyone who thinks CR doesnt deserve to be in this game is wrong. If anyone has a chance to play and beat a dominant powerhouse team like Salesianum, its them.

I think most of you are underestimating the power of emotion. A team like CR in my opion has enough momentum and emotion to not only keep them in this game but a chance to steal it from them. You don't have to beat anyone to win a championship. You only have to win by one goal...

With that being said. Good Luck to both teams! They have both had exceptional seasons and have earned the right to represent their families and their schools in the last game of the year.

Lax dude it was in the News Journal after they beat Tower Hill. I think it was in response in playing at Dover which is 10 miles from CR

The good news about this year's state championship final is that it definitely features the top two teams in the state. CR is good, but no match for Sallies. Coach Healy has developed a program that will make Sallies the team to beat for the forseeable future. It will be nearly impossible for any public school team to assemble similar talent.

Biglaxfan - The number of private schools in NCCO have definitely impacted the public school programs. But, downstate, that's not the case. The answer lies with the continued development of successful youth programs. Fortunately, that's happening throughout the state. The upstate kids have choices - private or public - and players will naturally gravitate to the schools with good programs. You saw that with Tatnall and TH in the past. It's now Salesianum's turn. Look at the roster of kids who came to Sallies from last year's Wilmington Wings. Not sure of the number, but at least 12-15 good players are Freshmen at Sallies. In fact, 9 of the 12 freshmen listed in the State Tournament are Wings grads. A very good school that happens to offer very good lacrosse is what brought them there. No reason that can't be done downstate. In fact, that's what makes the CR and Cape programs so solid. It is happening at Appoquinimink, has happened periodically at Middletown and will elsewhere as the sport grows. Lacrosse is the fastest growing team sport in America today and as more kids play, the talent will spread. Look at this year's NCAA Div 1!

WoodenStick - All valid points. However, the advantage for Sallies over most Delaware public schools has always been numbers and location. They benefit from a student selection process the public schools can't come close to replicating. Historically, whenever Sallies has decided to emphasize a team sport they ultimately dominate it in Delaware. It's not good or bad, just reality. The Sals have a good thing going, and until something changes from their administration or coaching they should continue their dominance of boy's lax in Delaware. They are to be commended for seeking and achieving excellence.

6-1 Sallies. Zone keeping score low but Sallies does well in transition

Correct 13-2. Sallies put a young defenseman out there with the other starters and he didn't cover Bubba who final got on the score bored. Sallies executed a great game. Troy Reeder came to play today as well. 4-5 goals complete man out there. The defense is what control this game. Sallies is relentless.

Congratulations to Coach Healy and the Sallies team. I can not say I am surprised. When I saw them play in April I was impressed with them. They are a first class top notch program of proven "winners". To the the victors goes the spoils and I hope they enjoy. 4 out of 6 state championships sounds like a Dynasty to me......

I am not versed in the history of Delaware LAX. But it sounds to me that they RAN THROUGH the state with every game going into running clock.. Playoffs included. That is very impressive. Wonder if there are other teams in the past who put such impressive numbers...

Great job, enjoy.

#1 fan in Virginia.

Originally posted by MightyMik:
10-1 sallies pulled them out of zone. 4th quarter just started

I was at the game and don't understand all the rules. I saw how they caused CR to get out of the zone in the 3rd quarter by having 2 guys behind the CR goalie passing the ball back and forth uncontested for a long stretch of time while CR still had their guys packed in front of the goal.

If CR did not send guys in to contest that, could Sallies have stalled like that for even longer ?

BlueTea - Yes, they can stall as long as they are able. At some point the refs may require them to keep the ball in the offensive "box" but as long as they are able to retain possession they can run out the clock. There is talk of a shot clock at the college level, but it's only talk at this point. I expect it to be many years before a shot clock is considered at the high school level. Congrats to Sallies for a great season, and what looks like an indominable program.

Congrats to Sallies and CR on great seasons. The Sallies have really built a great program and obviously have wonderful coaches that are attracting great players. That is the difference in the private schools that public downstate schools can't match. The ability to attract the players to their programs. Especially out of state players that upstate private schools can attract. Public schools can't not attract players from outside of DE, and that could be the difference between a state championship and runner-up. It occurs in all sports, not just lax. Now, I'm not bashing Sallies or the other privates because they are playing within the rules of the DIAA. I just think they should separate the public schools and privates when it comes to awarding state championships in all sports. Take a look at some of the Sallies players who are from out of state:
Verratti - Spring-Ford, PA
Walker - Media, PA
Barone - Garnet Valley, PA
Gangemi - Elkton, MD
and last year
Kilpatrick - West Chester, PA
Blunden - Chadds Ford, PA

Imagine if CR was able to attract players from Easton, MD, Queen Anne County, MD, or even Annapolis, MD. Anyway, I'm really not bashing Sallies, just pointing out how downstate public schools can't compete with privates who build programs that attract players from multiple states, not just DE. No matter how good your youth programs are, Sallies and other privates will continue to dominate for the foreseeable future. DE should be like MD in that private schools have their own championship and public schools have their own championship.

Ummm - Do you think all those out of state players piling into 18th and Broom will ever bring a basketball championship to Sallies?

@biglaxfan. There is a Stalling rule. Read DIAA regulations and you will find it I am sure... Read the rules and quit pontificating.

@dovetail Wrong religion, Salesianum is a Catholic school and most basketball players are not Catholic so you wont see the top basketball players there in enough numbers to make a difference

Originally posted by CinqueB:
@dovetail Wrong religion, Salesianum is a Catholic school and most basketball players are not Catholic so you wont see the top basketball players there in enough numbers to make a difference

That is an interesting and potentially provocative observation. However, it is true.

Lost in this conversation is the fact that Sallies is very close to both Chester County and Delaware County in PA and that roughly 30% of ALL the students come from PA. Most play no sports and are attracted to the school for academics, discipline etc.

"and most basketball players are not Catholic so you wont see the top basketball players there in enough numbers to make a difference"

So by your definition most lax players are catholic? huh? If so maybe the Sals should offer Irish Hurling as a sport. It would truly be a dynasty.

Originally posted by dovetail:
"and most basketball players are not Catholic so you wont see the top basketball players there in enough numbers to make a difference"

So by your definition most lax players are catholic? huh? If so maybe the Sals should offer Irish Hurling as a sport. It would truly be a dynasty.

Interesting statement in that some of the best High School basketball programs in the country are indeed Catholic schools..

Of course the Catholic Schools you refer to expend a lot of energy scouting young kids and offering them athletic scholarships. St Anthony's may be somewhat different in some ways.

After all these years, you still do grasp that Sallies does not scout or give athletic scholrships.

You are reading into things again... but since you brought it up I doubt very many folks believe that claim..

They do however give out $800,000 a year in academic scholarship and needs based finacial aide with by far most of that ammount going to needs based aide (per Salesianums website)

"Salesianum annually awards approximately $800,000 in tuition assistance. While part of this amount is awarded as four year academic scholarships to outstanding performers on the entrance and placement exam, by far the larger part of tuition assistance goes to students as need based grants."

They also do not require students to be Catholic as you have claimed in the past

"It extends to our students, who daily come from Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. These students come from all ethnic and racial backgrounds, and a surprising number of religious faiths"
(again on their website)...

and lets not forget the quotes from their AD on their website which some could view as a clear violation of the DIAA ule that states you can only say what athletics you offer and in no way can you claim your programs are better than any other schols.. here is the content

"Athletic Director Mike Hart ’70 welcomes you to Salesianum's school sports page. Our teams, steeped in an unprecedented, rich tradition of success, have won a whopping 117 state championships, the most in the history of the state of Delaware. In 2008-2009, 18th and Broom welcomed four state title banners to the heights of the Rev. John L. Birkenheuer, OSFS Gymnasium."

here is the DIAA rule

10.3.1.2 Provide information concerning sports offered, facilities, conference affiliation, and general athletic policies. However, he/she is not permitted to state or imply in any way that his/her athletic program is superior to that of another school or that it would be more beneficial or advantageous for the prospective student to participate in athletics at his/her school.

This on your webpage and in some peoples opinion is recruiting...not mine though.. I say go get all the best kids you can.. its a stupid rule to begin with. All kids should have a chance to go to a great school like Sals eeven recruitd athletes IMO... I will give you however that they dont scout and recruit AA kids but Lacrosse, Baseball you betcha they do..
This post was edited on 5/28 10:20 AM by ravensrooster2

Thanks for dragging the Lacrosse Board into one of your misinformed rants. Why don't you stay on the MD board anyway ?

Your claim that I said Sallies is only open to Catholics is preposperous. I said the vast majority of kids who go there are Catholic and it has been that way for the 35 plus years I have followed the school. I don't think the Jew I sat with at my last reunion was Catholic.

You also sound silly lecturing me about academic and financial aid since I have been contributing for over 35 years and get quarterly updates . Moreover, you loose any credibility you may have when you suggest putting factual statements about the sports program on the school's website is akin to recruiting.

I rode by Glasgow Reformed and their electronic sign said the RLCA school had been saved and people were invited to a celebration in early June.

Will you attend ?

@those who know who they are. Damn do you have thin skin. My point is and will forever be private and public schools should not be playing for the same state championship. And, read the rules before posting...

I question the stones on these guys coming to sals from out of state...they just wanna be the big fish in the little pond.

CingueB - Thanks, but I can't find the DIAA rules. I thought I noticed a few "stalling" calls by Delaware refs this spring. Help me out - what is the stalling rule?

Originally posted by laxdude1269:
I question the stones on these guys coming to sals from out of state...they just wanna be the big fish in the little pond.

SInce about 30% of the entire school is from PA you might want to consider what other options a kid from nearby SE PA would have if he wanted to attend a comparable Catholic High School. The closet thing is Malvern Prep - tuition over $ 26,000/year - more than 2X Sallies' tuition

Why question their "stones" Sals is willing to play the nearest options. Penn Charter, Malvern Prep...etc. Why not go there @ half the cost and a comparable education? Pretty sure those kids that won a championship from out of state played like they had a pair...maybe you need to check yours.

Re: The Pope's Butler ! !

Stop the presses. Standby, America.

There are reports out of Italy that some of the secret documents that the Pope's Butler had scurried away deal with a plan by Salesianum to have mass conversions of basketball players!!

Film at 1100.....

I would have to disagree. In a state as small as Delaware, it would be ridiculous to have different state tournaments for public and private schools. To be the best, you have to beat the best.....I have witnessed public school teams beating private schools many times. CR had a season to be proud of, Sallies was just too tough to beat this year, but there is always next year.
smilie1.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT