ADVERTISEMENT

Today's the day

laxdude1269

Water boy
Apr 8, 2010
What's everyone thinking...if the weather allows play!!!

Wednesday, May 18th, first round
A - No. 9 Charter (11-4) at No. 8 Dover (12-3) at 7 PM
B - No. 12 Sussex Tech (7-8) at No. 5 Cape Henlopen (11-4) at 7 PM
C - No. 11 Poly Tech (10-5) at No. 6 Caesar Rodney (11-4) at 7 PM
D - No. 10 St. Mark’s (9-6) vs. No. 7 Del. Military Academy (14-1) at A.I. DuPont at 7 PM

Its sad that the number 12 seed has a losing record, compared to last year and probably this year teams with winning records didnt get in. clearly there is something wrong with the current points system

St Marks beat DMA in overtime 11-10. St Marks was winning 8-1 in the 2nd qtr, and DMA had a crazy comeback to tie it in the last 2 minutes. St Marks won the faceoff and won, very entertaining game

The point system has it's weaknesses but this year I think it did a great job of picking 12 teams. I looked at most of the teams with winning records who were left out and it is difficult to make a case to put any of them in at the expense of one of the 12

The point system isn't garbage...the best teams in the state get in...some middle ground teams get in...some teams are left out...until you can offer a better system you really can't complain...and don't say use laxpower...it will never happen and what happens if that site crashes or something?
What we have works in its own way...never has a team that can win it all been left out.

It really wouldn't matter who they put at 12. The way it looks to me if your above #4 you don't have a chance at winning. We will hear the complaints again when all-state players are chosen. It happens in every sport.

The only change I would like to see the DIAA impliment is that any team that makes the playoffs should have a least a 500 record. I know in NJ you have to have a least a 500 record to qualify for any state playoffs. I think its crazy that teams with sub 500 records are participating in playoffs. I understand you don't want teams to load up on cupcakes just to get in the playoffs but at the same time I think DE rewards teams too much for losing just because they lost to teams teams that had good records.I would rather have the system reward teams for WINNING those games not just scheduling those games and losing and getting bonus points anyway.

okay, then give us the incentive to play Sallies, Mtown man ? How many instate teams have they lost to in the last 5 years during the regular season ? Under your plan they'd need to play 10 out of state games, don't see how that helps DE lacrosse.

I also don't see how it helps DE lacrosse for teams to schedule Sallies and lose 18-1 with Sallies holding the ball in the box for the whole 4th quarter!

gives kids that want to play @ that level an idea of what the next level is. Nothing wrong with competing against the best, to see where the bar is. We should appreciate that they (TH, Cape as well) play so many games instate, rather than look for ways to limit their ability to do so.

axnq92

You make a fair point about the advantages of playing better teams like Sallies. However, I still don't think teams with sub 500 records should be playoff teams no matter how tough the teams they scheduled are. Personally, I would have rather seen Appo or Mt Pleasant or Brandywine or Concord make the playoff(teams with winning records) as opposed to Sussex Tech with a 7-8 record who got hammered in the first round anyway. I realize there is no perfect system for playoff selection and any system you use will have its flaws.

Mtown, Sussex Tech beat the only 2 of the 4 teams you mentioned (appo and concord)that they played. Mount and Bwine would've gotten in, if they won down the stretch. Last year a 7-8 12 seed beat the 14-1 5 seed, handedly. In years past St. Andrews has been under .500, played a brutal schedule and really only suffered losses to the top 6 or 7 teams. They deserved to be in based on ability. That last spot is always a dog fight, no real easy answer, but, this system is better than no system.

I honestly think that when the competition instate gets closer, then the DIAA will change the playoff system. You both make solid points for your arguments, but the fact is that no matter what system is used RIGHT NOW, given the difference in talent statewide, it will be the top few teams in the state and then everyone else. I truely hope that DE lacrosse will reach a point when the usual suspects (Sals, TH, Cape, Friends) won't be the only guys in the conversation for the title. But until then, no system will be perfect. Just my opinion.

Left Archmere out in my "usual suspects" in that last post. My bad, no disrespect fellas! Honestly just typed right through it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT