ADVERTISEMENT

top 24 as of today

The only way head-to-head would even come into play would be if the 2 teams had the exact same point index. Head-to-head means nothing outside of that...seedings are all about the points.

I hope not...
Looking at the points though I do see them as the #3 though behind Cape & Smyrna. To tell you the truth though if Sanford is indeed the #7 then if you are Smyrna you might prefer the #3 seed cuz beating Sanford in the quarterfinals at the Bob would be a tough task...LoL

That is sad
DIAA seeding is about points, and you gain points by scheduling competitive teams instead of automatic wins. Salesianum played 19 games -- 2 games out of state and 12 games against other DE playoff teams (8 wins & 4 losses). That is how you schedule for toughness. By the way, after the end of Concord's MLK Day Classic, Sallies may need a game next year -- tell your ADs to call.

A tough schedule is also how a 9-win Dover team is in the tournament while Howard, Tower Hill, St. Thomas More and others will likely miss the show.

Reactions: ReeseWitherspoon
Howard had a tough schedule too, they just came up short in some winnable games (losing to Dickinson killed them). I think teams who schedule tough should be rewarded and for the most part, the points system does that.

Reactions: 84rider and J12
A tough schedule is also how a 9-win Dover team is in the tournament while Howard, Tower Hill, St. Thomas More and others will likely miss the show.
I had said all year long that Dover would get in w/ as many as 8 wins looking at their schedule & here they are at 9-11 on the bubble of maybe even getting a home game in the first round.

Howard had a tough schedule too, they just came up short in some winnable games (losing to Dickinson killed them). I think teams who schedule tough should be rewarded and for the most part, the points system does that.
W/ the point system even if you schedule tough don’t lose to any of the teams that you aren’t supposed to lose to like teams .500 or less where U get 0 points & you will be fine. If Howard doesn’t get in that Dickinson could have been the difference-maker.

Reactions: 84rider
The trick is to schedule weak teams that have an even weaker schedule. If you where an independent school I could setup a schedule that could guarantee they got into the playoff ever year with a decent seed.

example:
*** I would play each team twice and hope to go .500 or better.
1. ECHS@ DSU 14-6
2. Newark Charter 15-5
3. Red Lion 15-5
4. Tower Hill 13-7
5. Design Lab 10-10
6. Dickinson 10-10

*** Throw in some cupcakes and guarantee 2 points
6. Wilmington Christian 0-19
7. Sussex Academy 1-18
8 Delaware Dept of Public Safety 2-17
9 Friere Charter 5-14
10. Milford 6-14
12 MOT Charter 2-16
13 Hodgson 1-19

So our point total would look like:
13x2 1,1,2,2,2,2,1,1,1,1 = 40/19 = 2.1

That would get them in with a 13/14th seed. How would a average team fair against that schedule?

Last edited:
Reactions: Simmonj4618 and J12
Not as easy as it sounds. Most team schedules don't change that much from year to year so its unlikely that a bunch of schools are gonna help you out by setting you up with an easy path to the tourney. Also most of the teams that play twice a year have conference affiliations so non- conference opponents that will play you 2x's a year are also not likely.

& if a team makes the tourney that way they're setting themselves up for a "one and done" when they play a team in the 1st round that had a challenging schedule.

The trick is to schedule weak teams that have an even weaker schedule. If you where an independent school I could setup a schedule that could guarantee they got into the playoff ever year with a decent seed.

example:
*** I would play each team twice and hope to go .500 or better.
1. ECHS@ DSU 14-6
2. Newark Charter 15-5
3. Red Lion 15-5
4. Tower Hill 13-7
5. Design Lab 10-10
6. Dickinson 10-10

*** Throw in some cupcakes and guarantee 2 points
6. Wilmington Christian 0-19
7. Sussex Academy 1-18
8 Delaware Dept of Public Safety 2-17
9 Friere Charter 5-14
10. Milford 6-14
12 MOT Charter 2-16
13 Hodgson 1-19

So our point total would look like:
13x2 1,1,2,2,2,2,1,1,1,1 = 40/19 = 2.1

That would get them in with a 13/14th seed. How would a average team fair against that schedule?
It’s actually for teams that .501 or above. So teams 10-10 give no bonus points

Rankings include tonight's games and assuming my out of state records are correct...

1) Cape Henlopen HS - 55 - 2.750
2) Salesianum School - 51 - 2.684
3 ) Smyrna HS - 53 - 2.650
4) Caravel Academy - 50 - 2.500
4) William Penn HS - 50 - 2.500
6) Sussex Tech - 49 - 2.450
7) Sanford School - 47 - 2.350
8) St. Georges Tech HS - 46 - 2.300
9) St. Elizabeth HS - 45 - 2.250
10) Red Lion CA - 43 - 2.150
11) Mt. Pleasant HS - 38 - 2.111
12) Lake Forest HS - 42 - 2.100
12) Woodbridge HS - 42 - 2.100
12) Caesar Rodney HS - 42 - 2.100
15) Dover HS - 40 - 2.000
15) Newark Charter School - 40 - 2.000
17) Indian River HS - 39 - 1.950
17) Glasgow HS - 39 - 1.950
17) Appoquinimink HS - 39 - 1.950
17) Wilm Friends School - 39 - 1.950
21) Christiana HS - 38 - 1.900
21) St. Mark's HS - 38 - 1.900
23) Newark HS - 37 - 1.850
23) Conrad School - 37 - 1.850
Helluva job!!! I thought Smyrna would get the #2 but they got the #3 as you had which I think dodged a bullet not having to run into Sanford in the quarterfinals. Looks like you were basically right on the money outside of a couple swaps & St. Thomas More crashing the party pushing Conrad out.

The seedings are:

1 - Cape
2 - Sallies
3 - Smyrna
4 - William Penn
5 - Caravel
6 - Sussex Tech
7 - Sanford
8 - St Georges
9 - St E's
10 - Red Lion
11 - Mount Pleasant
12 - Lake Forest
13 - CR
14 - Woodbridge
15 - Dover
16 - Newark Charter
17 - Glasgow
18 - Friends
19 - Indian River
20 - Appo
21 - Christiana
22 - St Thomas More
23 - St Marks
24 - Newark

9 vs 24, winner plays # 8
10 vs 23, winner plays # 7
11 vs 22, winner plays # 6
12 vs 21, winner plays # 5
13 vs 20, winner plays # 4
14 vs 19, winner plays # 3
15 vs 18, winner plays # 2
16 vs 17, winner plays # 1

Last edited:
Don’t like that 3 of top Henlopen teams on same side...Smyrna, Tech, and Woodbridge... would’ve been more interesting if Tech was #5 and Caravel or William penn was 6...

With the pending suspensions at Cape and Alderman leaving Caravel, William Penn (If focused) has a direct path to the semi-finals. Smyrna and Sanford look to be favorites on other side, but it's stacked with Salesianum, Sussex Tech, Red Lion, Mount, Woodbridge, Dover and St. Mark's. Let the games begin!

Reactions: Ikeyfbst2 and _TK44
With the pending suspensions at Cape and Alderman leaving Caravel, William Penn (If focused) has a direct path to the semi-finals. Smyrna and Sanford look to be favorites on other side, but it's stacked with Salesianum, Sussex Tech, Red Lion, Mount, Woodbridge, Dover and St. Mark's. Let the games begin!
Not so fast... Alls Cape got to do is win Thursday and Rickards be back for the BoB if Cape wins.. Rickards got 1 game suspension and 5 days suspension out of school for fight.. DIAA must was really convinced on something Cape was telling them...

Like the way the bracket sets up for Penn

Reactions: _TK44

Caravel is playing and scoring well if not better with Alderman gone. Should be an interesting tournament

Reactions: Hoopsdownstate2
where did alderman go ??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT