ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Issues

So is sports and the long shot of making millions in the pros more important than stability and education?

So the rules should change for the one percenters or should the rules be for the majority and provide a safe and fair playing field for high school students to compete for their school ? Should we allow recruiting and team stacking just to appease parents who are under the delusion their kid is a D1 player and potential pro athlete at the cost of all the others having a fair, fun and enriching experience competing for their school as they move on?

The idea of making these kids sit is costing them a chance at anything is preposterous. Stay where you are at then. The rules have a purpose . If you are good enough they will find you. If you are transferring to a school for more recognition then you probably are disillusioned anyway.

Is it even about education anymore?

Honestly I am disgusted with the way it's going. its all about me and not the school or loyalty or school pride and community pride. . Probably why I barely even care about high school or college football anymore. It certainly is not about all the life lessons about teamwork, honor, loyalty, caring and playing for something bigger than yourself etc. All the things football proponents sold to the football haters/opponent who said the game is to violent and breeds bad and violent men. So who is right? Should the public continue to fund this dangerous and expensive activity? Why.

Last edited:
So is sports and the long shot of making millions in the pros more important than stability and education?

So the rules should change for the one percenters or should the rules be for the majority and provide a safe and fair playing field for high school students to compete for theor school ? Should we allow recuiting and team stacking just to appease parents who are under the delusion their kid is a D1 player and potential pro athlete at the cost of all the others having a fun and enriching experience competing for their school as they move on?

The idea of making these kids sit is costing them a chance at anything is preposterous. Stay where you are at then. The rules have a purpose . If you are good enough they will find you. If you are transferring to a school for more recognition then you probably are disallusioned anyway.

Honestly I am disgusted with the way it's going. its all about me and not the school or loyalty or school pride and communitypride. . Probably why I barely even care about high school or college football anymore. It certainis about all the life lessons about teamwork,honor, loyaly, caring and playing for something bigger than yourself etc. All the things football proponents sold to the football haters opponent who said the game it to violent and breeds bad and violent men. So who is right? Should the public continue to fund this dangerous and expensive activity? Why.
NPOA

State Rep Valerie Longhurst is an idiot.. How are these people even elected?

"Those three boys should be on the football this weekend. Anybody that denies those three young boys that want to play football, and its their lives, and their career, I can't even imagine the turmoil they're going through. Shame on anybody who did not allow those three boys to play football. Shame on you."

Really? Their career? Their lives?

What about the three players who have been at the program, loyal to the program and put the work in for their starting spot. Is it fair for them to have to sit for some recruits to come in? just a question

Another gem from Valerie..

"We still have kids that did not get onto the fields this past weekend, and the only thing that keeps them in school is the sports. I cannot say that enough times."

If the only thing keeping kids in school is football/sports then that is a bigger problem. Maybe the State Rep should focus on fixing that! ya think?

Really this shit she is spewing is all just virtue signaling for political purposes.. or in other words nonsense.. and BiB hates politics..

Last edited:
For every exception you make for one kid that exception will effect and disenfranchise another.

So the rules should change for the one percenters or should the rules be for the majority and provide a safe and fair playing field for high school students to compete for their school ? Should we allow recruiting and team stacking just to appease parents who are under the delusion their kid is a D1 player and potential pro athlete at the cost of all the others having a fair, fun and enriching experience competing for their school as they move on?

The idea of making these kids sit is costing them a chance at anything is preposterous. Stay where you are at then. The rules have a purpose . If you are good enough they will find you. If you are transferring to a school for more recognition then you probably are disillusioned anyway.

Honestly I am disgusted with the way it's going. its all about me and not the school or loyalty or school pride and community pride. . Probably why I barely even care about high school or college football anymore. It certainly is not about all the life lessons about teamwork, honor, loyalty, caring and playing for something bigger than yourself etc. All the things football proponents sold to the football haters/opponent who said the game is to violent and breeds bad and violent men. So who is right? Should the public continue to fund this dangerous and expensive activity? Why.
The rules are antiquated and need to be updated

"Those three boys should be on the football this weekend. Anybody that denies those three young boys that want to play football, and its their lives, and their career, I can't even imagine the turmoil they're going through. Shame on anybody who did not allow those three boys to play football. Shame on you."

What about the three players who have been at an the program, loyal to the program and put the work in for their starting spot. Is it fair for them to have to sit for some recruits to come in? just a question

"We still have kids that did not get onto the fields this past weekend, and the only thing that keeps them in school is the sports. I cannot say that enough times."

If the only thing keeping kids in school is football/sports then that is a bigger problem. Maybe the State Rep should focus on fixing that! ya think?

Really this shit she is spewing is all just virtue signaling for political purposes.. or in other words nonsense.. and BiB hates politics..
This is a phenomenal take!

What about the three players who have been at an the program, loyal to the program and put the work in for their starting spot. Is it fair for them to have to sit for some recruits to come in? just a question

This needs to be on Twidder Phil’s page! This is awesome.

Both women have suggested open transfers. Their take: if a kid or their parents want to transfer, who are we to say no.
Both also indicated that no “mental Health” waiver should come under scrutiny.
So, expect a sh-tload of mental health waivers.

Both women have suggested open transfers. Their take: if a kid or their parents want to transfer, who are we to say no.
Both also indicated that no “mental Health” waiver should come under scrutiny.
So, expect a sh-tload of mental health waivers
Look up Nicole Poore on IG/FB, I’m not calling that dipshit Senator. Look at her friends list. She’s friends with 3 people that are associated with HS football. 2 of the 3 are Middletown coaches and a wife. F her…she’s a douche like that every coach in that program.

Amen brother

Reactions: DEfootballFan6
Let me start by saying, every school with any type of relevant program in high school sports has without question recruited kids in some form or fashion. It's foolish to think otherwise. Everything i've heard about this particular situation is that the DIAA originally approved these kids' choice or transfer application to the school that they're currently at. Why is this even a topic 3-4 months later? Why is it ok for private schools, and vo-tech schools to be able to get kids from wherever they want, yet the public schools have to only have kids within the boundaries of their local high school? Is that not unfair to the public schools? Seems as though Middletown is always under the microscope, when we all know that recruiting kids to attend different high schools is more than common, and over the years become the new norm. I'm sorry, but I just don't think it's a coincidence that a school like Sallies has let's just say to be politically correct, looked a lot "DIFFERENT" on the football field, and basketball court, over the last few years! Private school or not. Is that not recruiting? Just like every single top player that has played for Smyrna, doesn't live in Smyrna. I mean who in the hell are we fooling here? I think we should be more worried about the unqualified coaches that are not developing the homegrown talent, and the transfer talent! Thats the true elephant in the room that everybody seems to constantly ignore. Rant over...

If you don't know, 95% of the recruiting has already been done by the time they reach high school. After that it is kids trying to get on better teams or putting themselves in a better situation. I am in favor of a one time transfer no matter the year. I am sure the Salesianum or Middletown JV teams could probably beat most of the teams in D1. These are the facts. I feel the way they did it, with the 3 divisions is probably best for all. But no one from the Sales's JV team is transferring back to their home school to star there. Kids would rather sit the bench at Salesianum than star at Dickinson or AI.

Yes, I do know that kids are plucked out of middle school. And i personally don't have an issue with that. It's the world we live in now! This is the main reason why Delaware High School Sports is so far behind a lot of other states. It's not the lack of talent. The failure of the DIAA to adapt to the times! This is an easy fix. There should be 2 separate championships. A public high school championship. And a private high school championship. Just like probably every other state in the country.

I think we should be more worried about the unqualified coaches that are not developing the homegrown talent, and the transfer talent! Thats the true elephant in the room that everybody seems to constantly ignore. Rant over...
That’s one I haven’t heard before. How would you go about fixing this particular problem?

That’s one I haven’t heard before. How would you go about fixing this particular problem?
Great question! I would start by not just hiring a coach because he or she already works in the building. Or has ties to the program in any way. The AD's need to be thorough in their search and not just immediately go with the safe hire. That's a start,

LOL. You make it sound like football coaches are making a ton of money. These guys are putting in hundreds of hours and not getting paid shit. Good luck with a thorough search. Hell some guys are volunteers because the school can't afford to pay them.
Exactly! A couple friends of mine coach at different schools throughout the state, one at a 3A school and couple at 2A school. Both have said they lose money by coaching though out there season whether that be for helping kids purchase things or even just gas to get to the school or leaving work early.

@Diehardsportsfan if you have the money to pay these coaches you should do so!

I'm sorry, but I just don't think it's a coincidence that a school like Sallies has let's just say to be politically correct, looked a lot "DIFFERENT" on the football field, and basketball court, over the last few years! Private school or not. Is that not recruiting?

As a former alum I can say if Sallies and some of the other parochial schools look "different" it's because they want to be. Over the years, Salesianum has tried to tried to raise the percentage of black and hispanic students in its enrollment Nativity Prep has been a big help but students there are free to enroll any where they wish after moving on to high school. Tower Hill and Sanford have probably gotten a number of students from there. You should remember that not every minority kid plays sports.

WOW - lot to comment on this. My previous thoughts on this are documented. If a kid (hopefully not a parent) wants or desire to be at another school, then so be it. Where this gets very tricky is when said 'private school' gives the student a scholarship. I am nto speaking fo the kid that qualifies for a scholarship. I am speaking of the kid, that's has the funds to attend, and is being looked at by many schools, but said private school comes knocking and says you can come here for nothing, whereas the other school says I can vet you here for half. That is the major challenge.

In regard to public schools - let it be open. Kids grow up now playing in different leagues (without boundaries) and then High School comes, and they are restricted based on where they live. If a family is willing to drive a kid to school, form practice and back all summer and then the fall - well then good luck. That is a commitment. Yes it changes when they are older enough to drive, but it is a huge commit to the parent that lives even 20 minutes away. Now I know your going to tell me about busing and all that, but there is no such thing int eh summer for workouts and after practice etc. You want to make that commit, good luck.

Like I mentioned above, kids play in all different leagues regardless of the sport, and 3 of their buddies are going to this school or that school and they are building something, yet they can't under certain rules.

Times have changed - the days of a certain public school being really good in a certain sport, will be that way because of the development of their youth program. And yes, along the way they will get the kids that live outside of the district because they want to be there, and what that program offers. It's just fact. Keep in mind, these young 7th and 8th graders still have to develop, or they sit regardless. At least at a good program with good coaches.

As for the 11/12th grader. There are too many loopholes. My suggestion is one of 2 options. You can either transfer once in your 4 years. Or you have to stay at a school for 2 years before you can transfer again. So, if a kid comes in as a freshman and goes to x school. He has to stay thru his junior year before he can transfer again. On the flip side, if a kid transfers after his sophomore year, he is done as that would be his one transfer as he would not be eligible under this rule to transfer again, as his 2 years going forward would be at the next school. Hope this makes sense. Its something I see the NCAA going to shortly - something will have to be done there as well.

Back to the DIAA stuff. I do not apologize for them, they are a mess (I think getting better). Whatever they come up with there will be issues. What I will say is make it clean - these are the rules - full stop. There is no gray. Facts are that under the transition format the previous board to this year, they had no choice but to let everyone do what they want. Rules are too gray and they are not in a position to set standards. They are now. Set the standard and be done with it. You have a problem with it, go to another state.

Back to competitive balance - please stop. Coaching will help that, and make it better, not perfect. Teams/AD's, Coaches that look 5 years out can build and will build. Those that don't take that approach will struggle forever. Every team and I mean every team has some talent. Build off of that, get in the gym, weight room, build a culture. Kids are still kids. Yes they want to win, but when they are freshman and see that they are getting some TLC and growing something, they will stay. What's the saying, build it and they will come.

Reactions: Huskerman7
WOW - lot to comment on this. My previous thoughts on this are documented. If a kid (hopefully not a parent) wants or desire to be at another school, then so be it. Where this gets very tricky is when said 'private school' gives the student a scholarship. I am nto speaking fo the kid that qualifies for a scholarship. I am speaking of the kid, that's has the funds to attend, and is being looked at by many schools, but said private school comes knocking and says you can come here for nothing, whereas the other school says I can vet you here for half. That is the major challenge.

In regard to public schools - let it be open. Kids grow up now playing in different leagues (without boundaries) and then High School comes, and they are restricted based on where they live. If a family is willing to drive a kid to school, form practice and back all summer and then the fall - well then good luck. That is a commitment. Yes it changes when they are older enough to drive, but it is a huge commit to the parent that lives even 20 minutes away. Now I know your going to tell me about busing and all that, but there is no such thing int eh summer for workouts and after practice etc. You want to make that commit, good luck.

Like I mentioned above, kids play in all different leagues regardless of the sport, and 3 of their buddies are going to this school or that school and they are building something, yet they can't under certain rules.

Times have changed - the days of a certain public school being really good in a certain sport, will be that way because of the development of their youth program. And yes, along the way they will get the kids that live outside of the district because they want to be there, and what that program offers. It's just fact. Keep in mind, these young 7th and 8th graders still have to develop, or they sit regardless. At least at a good program with good coaches.

As for the 11/12th grader. There are too many loopholes. My suggestion is one of 2 options. You can either transfer once in your 4 years. Or you have to stay at a school for 2 years before you can transfer again. So, if a kid comes in as a freshman and goes to x school. He has to stay thru his junior year before he can transfer again. On the flip side, if a kid transfers after his sophomore year, he is done as that would be his one transfer as he would not be eligible under this rule to transfer again, as his 2 years going forward would be at the next school. Hope this makes sense. Its something I see the NCAA going to shortly - something will have to be done there as well.

Back to the DIAA stuff. I do not apologize for them, they are a mess (I think getting better). Whatever they come up with there will be issues. What I will say is make it clean - these are the rules - full stop. There is no gray. Facts are that under the transition format the previous board to this year, they had no choice but to let everyone do what they want. Rules are too gray and they are not in a position to set standards. They are now. Set the standard and be done with it. You have a problem with it, go to another state.

Back to competitive balance - please stop. Coaching will help that, and make it better, not perfect. Teams/AD's, Coaches that look 5 years out can build and will build. Those that don't take that approach will struggle forever. Every team and I mean every team has some talent. Build off of that, get in the gym, weight room, build a culture. Kids are still kids. Yes they want to win, but when they are freshman and see that they are getting some TLC and growing something, they will stay. What's the saying, build it and they will come.
One of my main concerns is smaller programs. I think opening up transfers like the Task Force wants I think will kill a lot of the programs that are just barely hanging on.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think it's a coincidence that a school like Sallies has let's just say to be politically correct, looked a lot "DIFFERENT" on the football field, and basketball court, over the last few years! Private school or not. Is that not recruiting?

As a former alum I can say if Sallies and some of the other parochial schools look "different" it's because they want to be. Over the years, Salesianum has tried to tried to raise the percentage of black and hispanic students in its enrollment Nativity Prep has been a big help but students there are free to enroll any where they wish after moving on to high school. Tower Hill and Sanford have probably gotten a number of students from there. You should remember that not every minority kid plays sports.
That's hilarious! I'm fully aware that not all minority students play sports. However, I don't think it just so happens that a decent amount of the minortiy students at Sallies, are legit athletes. I mean who are we kidding here?

That's hilarious! I'm fully aware that not all minority students play sports. However, I don't think it just so happens that a decent amount of the minortiy students at Sallies, are legit athletes. I mean who are we kidding here?
Amazing how this field gets plowed over after a third basketball title in 55 years, no State football championship since 2013 and no State championship in baseball since? Ah, I know...soccer domination. The horror of it all!

Well said. Like I said back in this thread earlier we just need to update the transfer rules for modern times.

1 Free transfer to / from ANY school - not public or private specific. Also grade doesn't matter you can do this at any time.

2nd transfer you sit out a year - remove exceptions as they get political.

Keep it simple.

That being said though this is transfers not crossing school districts that another question. Transfer from Salesianum to DMA okay, Appo to Middletown, okay. BUT from say Newark to Cape when parents live in Newark? I applaud the commitment of the parents and if they can make it work that's great HOWEVER the kid is now going to a school they don't even pay taxes for?

On a personal note I think we have way too many school districts and that's part of the things killing sports at some of these schools - the districts open too many HS and they get too small and sports suck.

Hey, and let's remember that all these kids transferring are bringing with them the high gpa's and upstanding behavior that will enhance the new school and help their test scores for the state testing. Like the kids from Seaford should really help MT, seeing how Seaford is an academic nightmare and a school that consistently scores low on the state testing. But hey, let's just keep lowering the bar for the sake of the kids and call it...what do we call it.

Hey, and let's remember that all these kids transferring are bringing with them the high gpa's and upstanding behavior that will enhance the new school and help their test scores for the state testing. Like the kids from Seaford should really help MT, seeing how Seaford is an academic nightmare and a school that consistently scores low on the state testing. But hey, let's just keep lowering the bar for the sake of the kids and call it...what do we call it.
Does anyone know the status of those 3 kids from Seaford? Are they still eligible to play for M-Town?

Does anyone know the status of those 3 kids from Seaford? Are they still eligible to play for M-Town?
Their hearing was last Thursday and their waiver was granted. The other student that was part of the hearing was from lake Forest whose waiver was also granted.

Their hearing was last Thursday and their waiver was granted. The other student that was part of the hearing was from lake Forest whose waiver was also granted.
Important to note the board was forced to grant the waiver, regardless of whether or not it was a legitimate transfer.

Why were they forced to grant it?
The last task force meeting went something like this: BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH ... NOT FAIR ... HOW DARE YOU KEEP THOSE KIDS FROM PLAYING ... BLAH BLAH BLAH ... I WANT THEM ELIGIBLE YESTERDAY ... DO THIS OR I'LL INTRODUCE LEGISLATION DISSOLVING THE DIAA AS SOON AS WE'RE BACK IN SESSION IN JANUARY.

And yes, the caps are necessary because that's about the volume of the screed.

Why were they forced to grant it?
The Senator & House member who are running the DIAA Task Force publicly stated that the boys should be playing and that they saw no reason why the waiver should be held up. Basically, they backed the DIAA board into a corner. There was no way they were going to vote against it at that point.

So Baylor will not be able to fix DIAA, nor will anyone else. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

DIAA is an agency created by the legislature. It reports to the Secretary of Education.
Baylor has been there 4 months, He will fix the structural / organizational side and decisions will not be inordinately delayed.by DIAA.

One odd thing is that a lot of DIAA decisions can be appealed to the State School Board. Therefore, things are inherently slow. Bummy has no solutions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT