ADVERTISEMENT

Tresolini article

Huskerman7

Varsity
Nov 16, 2018
So apparently TNJ has graduated from random lists to playing the race card to stir up interest.
Check out this article from Delaware Online:

Are there enough? Black head high school football coaches in the minority in Delaware

So apparently TNJ has graduated from random lists to playing the race card to stir up interest.
Check out this article from Delaware Online:

Are there enough? Black head high school football coaches in the minority in Delaware

Same guy who went after Red Lion when black kids started showing up there and backed the folks calling them thugs and whatever else. I can't stand Tresolini one bit.

Race baiting keeps racism alive, unfortunately it’s the lefts hold card, yes I am a black man that’s tired of hearing that bs

yeah man and it's pretty funny coming from a staunch Sallies supporter and grad. Where is/was any articles talking about the lack of AA representation at Sallies compared to the city they are located in? I am not even saying it's systemic at Sallies but the numbers are what they are.

Wilmington DE 58.6% AA

Sallies AA enrolment 4.8% (which actually is an improvement 10 years ago it was barely 1%)
St Elizabeth AA enrolment 9.2%

as a comparison Calvert Hall (Baltimore) 16.9% AA, Gilman (Baltimore) 11.8% AA

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
yeah man and it's pretty funny coming from a stanch Sallies supporter and grad. Where is/was any articles talking about the lack of AA representation at Sallies compared to the city they are located in? I am not even saying it's systemic at Sallies but the numbers are what they are.

Wilmington DE 58.6% AA

Sallies AA enrolment 4.8% (which actually is an improvement 10 years ago it was barely 1%)

Bib, as a Salesianum fan (converted to fan status like 10 years ago) I agree the numbers are the numbers.
I think Salesianum has made a great effort over the past couple of years at outreach into their community. It ain’t just about athletics. My son in law says he wants to see guys like Spike Lee, Malcolm & Clarence Thomas coming into the building. The Sals have solid financial assistance $$$. We shall see.

I have had a few e-mail exchanges with Trez. I am pretty sure he went to Liberty HS in Bethlehem, PA. He has been fair to the Big S but has not been a shill. I have been reading him for decades. He is not responsible for the decline of real journalism the News Journal.

The article by itself ain’t going to win a Pulitzer. It does focus on trying to get Black men into education careers which is a compelling story. The headline is kind of sensational. ( I love Moffett and wish I could have met his dad.)

Thank you for mentioning Calvert Hall. Their Prez is Brother John Kane. He was the AD at Philadelphia’s West Catholic.

Once again, Bummy is starting to bore himself….

Last edited:
yeah man and it's pretty funny coming from a stanch Sallies supporter and grad. Where is/was any articles talking about the lack of AA representation at Sallies compared to the city they are located in? I am not even saying it's systemic at Sallies but the numbers are what they are.

Wilmington DE 58.6% AA

It ain't for lack of trying. Sals were the first H.S school in Delaware to integrate.

This article is a great example of the disconnect between athletics and reality. AI is a cesspool, with extra cess and pool. The principal needs to fix about 137 more important things than who coaches football. The school is light years behind what it was in the 80's and 90's both academically and athletically. Gangs and crime are known factors their, but hey, they got a new football coach. Brandywine and Glasgow aren't much better. These schools are a good, full generation away from recovering, if they can, and football won't do it.

My problem with the article is twofold.
  1. It’s race-baiting plain and simple. There was no reason for this other than to stir up animosity and maybe reel in a new subscriber or two. No coach had complained about this non-issue. Not even the folks he interviewed complained.
  2. Where are the facts?? The premise completely falls apart when he admits that Delaware employs black head coaches at a 10% higher rate than the national average.
Beyond that, he presents no empirical data. How many blacks have applied and been denied? How many whites? What’s the racial makeup of the AD’s in DE? The principals? The superintendents?

All in all, an absolute piece of trash from Tres.

imo this is and has always been a parenting issue. Opportunities are available to “all” that seek them whether it’s athletics or academic’s.you have keeping knocking, when one door closes keep knocking another door will open .It starts with a strong foundation that needs to be nurtured. If you water it and fertilize it, it won’t grow strong and sturdy. I know of a couple of men that would be excellent coaches but have other family and work priorities, heck we all do. The best coaches not only coach athletics, they are life coaches and invested in their players imo not just during the season. Awe sh!t I’m rambling, I blame this on Bummy !!!!’

Wilmington DE 58.6% AA

KT is in no way a staunch Sallies supporter OR a grad. Look into what the Oblates from Sallies have done with Nativity Prep. They are trying everything possible to make the school available to all. You cannot force someone to go a Catholic school.

Man am I glad I checked depreps to get some real comments. Other online platforms (de-online, Facebook, Instagram) are full of people who took this race baiting article hook-line and sinker.

I coached with a group of black men who never once complained about men of color not getting a head coaching job. We were like family and the question of color never arose.

This article doesn't do a good enough job of explaining just what goes into being a head coach in football. It's a full time job. Most of you guys on here know that. If you aren't a teacher and work outside of the school being a head coach is next to impossible no matter what color you are. Do schools need to hire more black educators absolutely.

Tres didn't mention any facts or stats either (maybe a few). How many blacks have applied for head coaching jobs? How many are teachers? Assistant coaches?

I found this article to be ignorant, false, and just not something that was needed to be written. The education system especially in New Castle County has a lot more pressing issues of need than who is coaching a football team.

KT is in no way a staunch Sallies supporter OR a grad. Look into what the Oblates from Sallies have done with Nativity Prep. They are trying everything possible to make the school available to all. You cannot force someone to go a Catholic school.

Sorry someone had posted here a while back that he played soccer at Sallies. I never thought to fact check it "mea culpa" but yes after further review you are correct Liberty High. Still don't care for him much but he shouldn't take that personally as I don't care for most of the media in this country.. just saying of course

"KT is in no way a staunch Sallies supporter OR a grad. Look into what the Oblates from Sallies have done with Nativity Prep. They are trying everything possible to make the school available to all. You cannot force someone to go a Catholic school."

I can say this with a bit of certainty that given the state of the school's endowment, any AA or Hispanic kid who wants to learn, is willing to do the work and live within the system, can go there.

"KT is in no way a staunch Sallies supporter OR a grad. Look into what the Oblates from Sallies have done with Nativity Prep. They are trying everything possible to make the school available to all. You cannot force someone to go a Catholic school."

I can say this with a bit of certainty that given the state of the school's endowment, any AA or Hispanic kid who wants to learn, is willing to do the work and live within the system, can go there.

I don't think it's ever been about whether Sallies wouldn't except or would discriminate against minority applicants. It's been more about they don't want to apply and that is what needs to be examined and worked on. Why don't more minorities want to apply to Sallies? If we are being honest that reputation, and we all know what that is, needs to be changed before more will apply to come. JMHO

Last edited:
I don't think it's ever been about whether Sallies wouldn't except or would discriminate against minority applicants. It's been more about they don't want to apply and that is what needs to be examined and worked on. Why don't more minorities want to apply to Sallies? If we are being honest that reputation, and we all know what that is, needs to be changed before more will apply to come. JMHO
"It's been more about they don't want to apply and that is what needs to be examined and worked on."

Want to learn.
Do the work
Live within the system

That's never going to change and I think its not much to ask.

Man am I glad I checked depreps to get some real comments. Other online platforms (de-online, Facebook, Instagram) are full of people who took this race baiting article hook-line and sinker.

I coached with a group of black men who never once complained about men of color not getting a head coaching job. We were like family and the question of color never arose.

This article doesn't do a good enough job of explaining just what goes into being a head coach in football. It's a full time job. Most of you guys on here know that. If you aren't a teacher and work outside of the school being a head coach is next to impossible no matter what color you are. Do schools need to hire more black educators absolutely.

Tres didn't mention any facts or stats either (maybe a few). How many blacks have applied for head coaching jobs? How many are teachers? Assistant coaches?

I found this article to be ignorant, false, and just not something that was needed to be written. The education system especially in New Castle County has a lot more pressing issues of need than who is coaching a football team.
You are correct about the needs of schools, regardless of county. The underlying theme of the article is about the message and the deliverer of said message. The article uses words from the athletes, like "relate to", meaning the X's and O's of football, or the formula for the Pythagorean theorem, the economic cycle, water cycle and a bunch more comes down to whether someone can relate to the one presenting. This is the problem. It has nothing to do with private schools and enrollment numbers. It is someone saying I can't learn from this person in front of me because I can't relate to then, whether it is math or football. I am in year 23 of teaching in public schools, and at this point schools need to be less concerned with the demographics of the person being hired and more about whether they know what to do with a class. Teachers are coming out of college woefully unprepared, academically and professionally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT