ADVERTISEMENT

Trevon Duval

sals2011

Special teams standout
Sep 16, 2008
Trevon has left St Benedicts for Advance Prep International in Texas. The school was formerly know as Prime Prep. For those of you who have not been following Trevon he had a huge summer, raking in offers and wowing NBA scouts.

Each must do what they believe is best for themselves, but I hold the position that with AAU exposure the way it is with the sneaker companies circuits there's no need to attend out of state high school for exposure. Delaware has all u need, good coaches, good trainers and WeR1 which is a top rated UA sponsored team. In today's bball world if u can play they will find u, college coaches do most of their recruiting during live sessions n which start in April so it's more important which club team u choose. This is why kids get most opportunity after session because remember college bball is going on the same time as high so coaches are busy trying to win. Lastly unlike Trevon who is unique, if u ain't dominating delaware how is going to a different state going to improve your game.

@delawaresportsjunkie i see what ur saying but Trevon probably wants to play against the tuffest competition all year around not just AAU...Not that he needs the exposure but if your constantly playing against better players you will get better...He has a outgrown DE & it's no need for him to play in this state w/ watered down competition (no offense to DE teams but it is what it is)

Quil: Sanford, sallies, st. E's etc can schedule anyone across state lines or throughout the country. The kids in delaware all the scouts got their eyes on is Ingraham @ sallies. Him and the 8Th grader jahre @ Sanford. Ingraham is a lot more heavily recruited than any of these kids and has not played 1 high school game. That's because he played up on Nike, Addidas, and under armour and put in work. Yet he attends sallies and sleeps at home with his family. He's on UA in spring with Rio. Duval, put in the work but blew up on the circuit not high school same as all the others. Mikey Dixon got mutiple offers from putting in work on the circuit not Sanford. So as long as u putting in work on and off the court, in the class, and put in work on the circuit the sky is the limit. That school needs Travon, he don't need that school, whatever he was doing is working. The kid is a beast. In ending, the key is the work and exposure on one of the sneaker circuits. Playing against the best happens in the summer, playing high school is for school and home pride.

It's not only about what teams you play it's also about who you play against everyday in practice. Trevon will grow much more playing against Terrance ferguson and billy Preston compared to anyone currently in Delaware. Don't get me wrong I wish all the Delaware talent stayed in Delaware but this was a smart move for Trevon.

Playing a 20 game season isn't very attractive.... Enjoy our high level recruits locally while you can, Duval and Ayala wont be the last to seek another avenue.

Duval is a special player, Ayala is a good player but he wasn't dominating in Delaware look at the stats. Everyone has to do what's best for them but whenever someone say they leaving Delaware for better comp or challenge to get better, then in my opinion u should have a body of work in Delaware that equals dominance. I think Delaware basketball is on the rise, kids go and come but in the end it's training that makes u better. Who did Kobe practice against at lower Marion, a beast is a beast, its a mentality, work ethic, toughness, I know because I was that guy. Played at all three levels. If comp was weak I would drop 30. How many 30 point games has Ayala dropped in Delaware he averages 12.

EducatedEye disagree, that depends on the level of knowledge of the parent example, Ingraham s parents at sallies, both educated, both played D1 at Seton Hall, u cannot sell them hype, There kid is @ a great school with a great coach. He's a great kid at 6'8 and a beast and already on the radar of schools like Kansas, so what would they gain by doing anything different. After the season he goes to UA, so 20 v 30 v 10 games season does not matter. U get as good as u make yourself.

I forgot to mention people forget that the teaching of fundamentals, team work and how to play happens at the high school level because coaches can dedicate 5 days a week to development and team play. The circuit gives u exposure but the downside is a lack of team play and skills development because many times poor coaching and limited practice is the main factor, it's showcase basketball. Raw talent, iq, work ethic, attitude, academics, parental guidance, good coaching are what propels kids forward and opens doors. We forget how many talented delaware kids pissed away opportunities because of a lack of guidance or discipline.

This morning there's a high school in Connecticut that held basketball practice, in attendance at that practice were college coaches from Providence, UConn, St. Bonaventure, Kansas State and others.... Not to mention there's also 8+ D1 level kids in there competing with and against eachother, making each other better. There will be two more practices before sundown.... All im a say is, "Its just different"

Last edited:
@ EducatedEye, Practice in Sept. Strange, but ok who they there for certain players, these are basketball meat factories not schools developing and educating kids to prepare them for life. Lets say u on one of these teams & Kansas, duke, Kentucky wants u what benefit do u get as apposed to being on Sanford that's not a meat factory and the same schools want u. Many of these schools have piss poor education and manufacture academic reports, Delaware private school force u to do your school work or fail. The question is who is really benefiting in the long term since the probability of making it to the nba is slim to non even for elite athletes. Blake Griffin as an example was at okla Christian academy, same schools recruited him, he may not have had practices like that but we know he got a great education at a great academic institution not a meat factory. And in the end because of his talent, work ethics and parental guidance look where he is. The same can be said for all Delaware kids that work hard. Mikey Dixon will at some point sign to get a free education, like champ, like donte, like so many others. At live session on eybl, ua, addidas or hoop group u can play in front of hundreds of coaches, don't need them at the lab. These kids practice and play with and against each other from march to August, u don't need to lump them together all year to get competition. Point is if u can play they will find u its 2015, the real basketball season for high school recruiting starts in April. No stone is left unturned for elite players or players with potential. Kids need to study hard and understand the new rules with the NCAA clearing houses, u need to do well in all required courses, outside of this hard work, a good attitude will get u what u earn. Lastly avoid makeshift basketball meat factories that don't prepare u for life. Some fool tells u he can get u in the NBA or College offers he lying, only your talent and the work gets u that.

Last edited:
Guys I believe there is no easy formula for the success of a kid as well as the kid getting seen. There is flaws on both sides of the system: if you go to sanford, sallies, caravel, ursuline, and padua they have the ability to schedule better games outside of delaware. And if your at one of those schools you should be getting the fundamental foundation that well help you have success at the next level; If you go the AAU route. some AAU teams just gather the best players. no structure, no fundamental foundation and they just have you play versus the best teams versus the best players in the big tournaments. But you get seen by the colleges and generate a buzz for yourself to receive college scholarships. So what do you do? well if you live in delaware and your your trying to make a name for yourself you have to be strategic to make a name for themselves. And parents, coaches, and mentors have to be savey in getting whats best for the kid. personally i don't like the way that AAU has taken away from the high school coaches who are actually teaching the kids. i think the high school coaches should have more involvement with the kids they have worked with for year. but if your high team isn't playing the best talent what do you do. these issues give both sides a lot of problems for any supporter for either side.. But there is one thing that i do know. No matter what side you stand on - leaving for a better high out of state -focusing on AAU - or staying in state. if you can play they will find you. its just a matter of time of when

Both Kevin Ollie and Glen Miller of UConn will be at @PSAhoops tonight for Mamadou Diarra, Hamidou Diallo, Eric Ayala and Emmanuel Umoffia. (Tweeted by Adam Zagoria (Zagsblog) 1140am today)

@delawaresportsjunkie at the end of the day I understand where u coming from but in the long run this will only help Trevon...Of course being from DE I would love to see him play in DE but this kid has a chance to be a lottery pick in a few years & I believe him & his are making the best choice for him...Even Harry Giles (the #1 player in the nation) left his home town HS for Oak Hill so u can't blame him for leaving!!!

@quil. Trevon is a 1%er, he belongs to a special group of kids. Credit however goes to Trevon, his parents, his work ethic and whoever he works with. His moves like Giles and the others are for the 1%ers. From a business perspective those are nba moves not college basketball moves. My issue is when people talk about Delaware basketball being weak and they need to move onto somewhere else, I always ask what did u do against this so called weak competition then only to find out the kid is averaging 6 ppg and don't put no work in. I look at things from a business perspective and consider talented players as an asset to schools, coaches and organizations at all levels. Sports makes billions and billions are invested. So if you are an asset no stone will be left unturned to find u. The reason I had multiple coaches in the stands watching me play was because I was that good and the reason they would not go through the trouble would be because I wasn't. Yet I never played on any of these power high school teams, I just put in work when I played. I did not need other elite players anymore than a kid like okafor or Towns needs others to full a gym with college coaches because they are the assets. So we are comparing kids competing for scholarships for college vs kids positioning themselves for the nba. I made my statement based on kids competing for opportunities to land a free education which is all i care about. Quil I see the work u put in with the kids but I want Delaware kids to realize that the reason u are not in the position of Trevon, Eric, Mickey, Myles etc is not because u in Delaware, its because u aint that good. And the reason u aint that good because either u don't have talent, u lack guidance, u hang with losers and a wanna be thugs, u lazy, or u delusional.

Reactions: jvm3
@delawaresportsjunkie. Good post, I always thought that Delaware doesn't have weak players per-se, but more of weak coaches, school programs and a small number of good trainers. I understand Trevon is in a different class but the other 99% of players could get all the need in Delaware if things were put in place. Unfortunately only a couple of H.S. and AAU programs match that criteria.

That's why I understand transfers and parents doing what the have to do in the best interest for their kids. I wish that there were someway to education players/parents/coaches and school administrators on what it really takes to get that college money. Grades, skills, weight training, conditioning, the right exposure etc. I would say 80% of them are clueless and downstate it's maybe 99%.

Just starting the process with DD, so I'm learning as a go, but I'm learning!

To me, one of the stupidest thing Delaware has, for the most part, is that to coach a sport you have to be working at the school or at least in the school district. Mind you, teachers, guidance counselors, principals have full days as is, there's no way every coach can give the attention to detail and practice someone coming from an outside industry or even just someone who loves to teach the game of basketball but has no interest in teaching.

That to me is why a lot of the basketball development is lacking because there are too many hats to be worn by the coaches BEFORE they can even practice and teach players.

Reactions: coachquil
Now we getting some where, let's talk about fixing the problem. I agree with both post above and will be writing DIAA about these issues. Its easier to correct problems than to relocate. Plus if u look a DIAA finals gyms where packed. People need to organize, start talking and be about the change we need so that Delaware kids are not systematically held back or forced to leave. If enough people put pressure on them they will change.

Reactions: coachquil
Wow I can't believe what I'm reading Delaware woke up. The same folks whom bashed other parents are finally getting the big picture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT