ADVERTISEMENT

UD baseball starting lineup

Jan 14, 2014
I am going to give my opinion, some people might not like to hear ths. There are 3 players right now in the starting lineup that i feel are not division 1 players. Ty Warrington, Brock Niggebrugge, and Zach Lopes. I am not trying to take anything away from their game. At the end of the day when you look at these 3 guys they are decent players, however i think they are much better suited for division 2 or division 3. If all 3 of these guys start the whole season, i doubt any of them will hit above .300 I think ud might have a weak offence this year.

This post was edited on 2/17 10:54 PM by larrybirdcity

This post was edited on 2/18 11:30 AM by larrybirdcity

As a counterpoint, Lopes hit .306 last year, Niggebrugge was 2nd team all-CAA, and, in a preseason survey of CAA coaches, Warrington was voted best defensive catcher. Not saying they're great players, but they've got some skills.

LBC, seems you are picking on the kids who went to HS in Delaware who are starters. Any opinions on the rest of the lineup?

So, you're saying that these three players (who all had at least 100 ABs in 2013) don't belong in DI, even though they start for a team that was ranked #98 in RPI at the end of 2013?

And... they're not good enough to play for the other 200 DI baseball teams ranked below UD in RPI?

Just want to make sure I'm reading your opinion correctly.
This post was edited on 2/18 9:04 AM by TouchThemAll

Stupidity.png

touch them all, those rankings are from last year, uds team is a little bit different this year. They lost a lot of production in the lineup.

its truly a shame that the UD is not a powerhouse every year? the amount of out of state kids they pull along with some quality instate kids, they really should be better? I think the facilities and weather turn a lot of kids away. Heck there season is ending when it finally warms up?

Not much we can do about the weather. Everyone from Virginia northwards has basically the same weather to deal with on the east coast.

But with a 50 game schedule you gotta play early in some cold weather in order to finish up in May.

I would like to know what the OP's credentials are for evaluating D1 talent. TouchThemAll pointed out correctly that all three of them performed well when the team ranked in the top third of D1 teams nationally. Just because the team may struggle this year shouldn't reflect on their individual abilities.

UD is predicted to finish last in the CAA this year and they're off to a rough start averaging less than 2 runs per game in offense. They lost their top two hitters from a lineup that batted .309 last year. If you take them out of the equation, the rest of the team batted .284 which is still respectable.

Their biggest problem appears to be pitching depth. They have 13 pitchers on the roster when a typical D1 team will have 17-18. They'll lose 4 senior pitchers this year and according to College Baseball Insider, they have 5 pitchers coming in next year. It would appear it will take them some time to build their pitching staff.

As far as the field is concerned, UD just finished a field renovation in the fall so that should not be an issue. With regard to the weather, there are several northern teams that have good programs: Notre Dame, Pitt, MD, UConn to name a few. But they have the advantage of competing in a good conference to attract recruits whereas UD is in the CAA which seems to be declining in all sports.

It appears it could be a long season for Delaware this year. However, it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

In my opinion, it's not appropriate to run down specific players on these message boards. If anything, you should run down the UD staff who is paid to recruit the right players if that's your opinion.

So far here are how those three guys are hitting:

Brock - 2-14 for .143 B/A
Ty - 2-18 for .111 B/A
Zach - 2-13 for .154 B/A

Combined that is 6 for 45 for .133 B/A.

I wonder how much of this poor start has to do with them not being outside and facing live pitching.
The team is only hitting .209.

They lost their best hitter in Yezzo and one of their best pitchers in Chad Kuhl to the draft plus othes who have graduated.

I dont see them winning many games when the weather warms up and I think its time for Sherm to move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT