7:30 Friends 31 @ Delmar 6

Saturday
10:30 Howard 48 @ Concord 0 🏃‍♂️⏲️
10:30 Lake 22 @ Mt Pleasant 12
11am St E's 45 @ Conrad 6 🏃‍♂️ ⏲️
11am Christiana 0 @ Newark 46 🏃‍♂️⏲️
12pm Dover 34 @ HVT 7
2:30 W Penn 21 @ P Wood (PA) 5

surprises? contenders and pretenders? interesting stats?

here's some

2 1A teams put the RC on a 2A team

Laurel on BWine and St E on Conrad

8 teams played up a class

Tatnall, Wbridge, Glasgow, Odessa, Laurel, St E, Seaford, Christiana

Tatnall, Glasgow, Chrstiana got RC'd
Laurel, St E's RC'd their opponent
Seaford won
Odessa lost
Wbridge lost

9 RC's

3 RC's in class
3 RC's over lower class
2 RC's over higher class
1 RC playing OOS

Reactions: Woody_Wood
I think it's Laurel and St. E once again in 1A, though Seaford may have something to say about that. Will say that Cape and Central playing as well they have their first two games have surprised me. Dover's gonna be a tough out and the DMA mess is going to benefit someone in 2A immensely. Could be Howard, could be Caravel, who knows?

McDupont Hightigers

6982.gif

St E's running over Conrad is not a surprise, but can they beat Laurel?

St Mark's blowout of Red Lion was a little bit surprising. I thought the game would be a close one. St Mark's looked really good on both sides of the ball but they haven't beaten Archmere in 4 years. Does anyone think they can pull it off this year??
Idk. Albiero looks unstoppable.

Sussex Central defense looks good. Their running game has so many weapons. Can they beat either of the two big dogs, (MTown or Smyrna) in 3A???

Reactions: BackinBlack86
So, everyone seems to be avoiding Friends beating Delmar for the fourth time in a row...twice at Delmar...two shut outs and by a combined score of 106-26. That's right, can't complain about the upstate refs helping Friends so just ignore it. In addition, Friends has a good core group back from last year and it was this core group that gave Archmere their closest game last year, not DMA (Friends lost by 3). Friends may not have lines on the field like others prefer, but the only lines that matter are the two end zone lines and over the last 8 seasons or so, they cross them more than most do, including DMA.

So, everyone seems to be avoiding Friends beating Delmar for the fourth time in a row...twice at Delmar...two shut outs and by a combined score of 106-26. That's right, can't complain about the upstate refs helping Friends so just ignore it. In addition, Friends has a good core group back from last year and it was this core group that gave Archmere their closest game last year, not DMA (Friends lost by 3). Friends may not have lines on the field like others prefer, but the only lines that matter are the two end zone lines and over the last 8 seasons or so, they cross them more than most do, including DMA.
what you whining about? 17 of 23 CP pickers picked Friends over Delmar @ Delmar. Only ones who didn't are south homers..lol plus it's not your fathers Delmar anymore. Laurel been able to keep their kids home. 😈

I get it. It's hard for the SPL teams to get any respect but they really aren't the sexy pick. Kinda boring. All kidding aside they get mentioned enough as a team with a chance to win the deal but I don't think many will have them as their number 1 pick. It's pretty wide open in 2A IMO. No real obvious slam dunk pick. Maybe this is their year?

The only pickers I read are in the NJ. Lmk where I can see any other picks each week. I was not aware of how many went with friends other than the two at the NJ.

The only pickers I read are in the NJ. Lmk where I can see any other picks each week. I was not aware of how many went with friends other than the two at the NJ.

Dem NJ dudes are amateurs the pros pick here

Reactions: nomorenonstop
Not so much surprises, but just my observations (d2 only).

At the end of last season, I was told by someone “in the know” that Howard would be really good this year. That certainly seems to be true thus far! They seem pretty physical up front and want to get after it on defense.

I saw St Marks a few times last year and thought they would be good this year (I think I even picked them to win d2). I think they are going to be tough across the board, and their conference is downright bad (especially with what’s happening at DMA).

I wouldn’t say this was a surprise as much as it’s expected…DMA. I thought they would be good because of the kids. But I also thought that coach would cause controversy in one way or another. Yes. I’m new to DE, but not new to high school football and I feel like I’ve seen this story before. I really hope for the kids sake it all works out, but experience tells me a coach like that doesn’t last very long.

Friends was one of my picks too and I think they are going to be good. Tough kids with discipline will always get far!

Archmere rolled Tatnall putting up 42 points in the first half. I had heard that Tatnall was a “team on the rise”…well, I don’t know if that’s true, but Archmere looked pretty unstoppable. And their quarterback had a lot to do with that! And it seems like their line is good again this year…that can be a really good sign for Archmere.

I don’t know much about Lake Forrest but I was pretty disappointed to see Mount Pleasant lose. I was kind of hoping they would take a leap (and maybe they have) to make d2 even more competitive.

And what the hell happened to Concord?! I remember when I first moved to this area, they were a good team…whoa. Past two years they’ve been brutal.

Last edited:
Right now D3 Still looks like it is going to be a 3 team race with Middletown, Smyrna and Central, Dover Cape and Sallies can fight it out for the 4th spot
D2 is going to be won by one of 5 teams, Caravel, St Marks, Archmere, Howard and Friends. Archmere-Howard-and Friends will be well tested come playoff time as they play each other plus Archmere plays St Marks As of right now Caravel and St Marks look like they have an absolute walk in their Conference. Saw Lake play Mount and Delmar play Friends. Was shocked at both. Lake looked a lot slower than people were saying and Delmar was very undisciplined. Think Delmar had 5 defensive offsides and at least 2 offensive false starts. Can’t win anything doing that.
1A it is laurel and st E’s and then everyone else, Odessa is a year away, Tatnall is a one man show and isn’t good enough to beat Laurel or St E’s

A repeat of all three champions
Middletown
Archmere
Laurel
would not be going that far out on a limb, but Archmere Obviously has the toughest road

Concord's drop is courtesy of BSD district office. The former Sup. Was a Concord grad and hated Bwine for appearing to be cut above for about three decades. He took care of that. Bwine had it's feeder switched around and administration was put in place to see it fail. One of them is the Red Clay Sup, and as he is a MTP guy he was more than happy to help. At one point students in the BHS feeder were not even allowed to shadow as 8th graders. For many years, a ton of kids did the choice process into Concord that should have been at BHS. Concord had 90 kids out for football just about 5 years ago, but the district cut off choice. Now kids are either going to the Catholic/privates, and if that is not an option, getting stuck going to BHS. Concord may have 35 out for football this year.

That makes sense on outside looking in, always wondered how Concord was more consistent than Brandywine! Brandywine had few good years including the one or two when the Claymont kids came over with Coach Wheeler.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Concord's drop is courtesy of BSD district office. The former Sup. Was a Concord grad and hated Bwine for appearing to be cut above for about three decades. He took care of that. Bwine had it's feeder switched around and administration was put in place to see it fail. One of them is the Red Clay Sup, and as he is a MTP guy he was more than happy to help. At one point students in the BHS feeder were not even allowed to shadow as 8th graders. For many years, a ton of kids did the choice process into Concord that should have been at BHS. Concord had 90 kids out for football just about 5 years ago, but the district cut off choice. Now kids are either going to the Catholic/privates, and if that is not an option, getting stuck going to BHS. Concord may have 35 out for football this year.

Wow. That is messy.

All you have to do is check the student numbers at Concord and BHS for the last 8-9 years. It's all there, like BHS dropping to roughly 770 in 2015 while Concord was at 1200 plus. Just trust the science...wait, that's something different I think.

Reactions: stevegator4
I am unsure of all of the maneuverings described (not denying them)....but you don't have a Hall of Fame coach like George Kasanovich retire without it having some impact.

The man was a grinder...starting back in his Wilmington High School days.......in the 1970's...

hmmmm. Does this put McKean the running? Definitely ads some intrigue.

Coach Carre and his new weapons
hegylako.gif

The coach does have an affect for sure. Ask Wm.penn,Newark,Dickinson, BUT even those great coaches would struggle with the lack of numbers or the lack of talent at said schools.

The coach does have an affect for sure. Ask Wm.penn,Newark,Dickinson, BUT even those great coaches would struggle with the lack of numbers or the lack of talent at said schools.

Kinda goes hand and hand. If a good coach is there the players will stay and come out also players will choice in to play for him/her. So numbers/talent won't be a problem

But some of the talent didn't have access to the coach with feeders being changed and choice closing down, so if he were still there he would have had a smaller set of athletes. I do agree that a coach that's good will be a draw for kids.

Hodgson? Same Championship staff what’s their struggles due to?

Hodgson always had/have players even in D2. They had the run with Jones but even that team struggled with discipline they just had enough talent to overcome. But mostly they always had talent but were undisciplined IMO they should have won way more championships in D2 with the talent and numbers (80+ every year) they had. They had a great team in D1 a few years ago when they ran the table. That team bought in. Last year and this years team is a struggle. For some reason the kids just don't want to listen or aren't buying into the system. At least that is what I have overheard the coaches saying. I guess the point is for some reason disciplined play has always been an issue there sans a few years when they put it together.

Agree but the same talent level from 2019 they are not getting. It shows by what they putting on field last two years.

Agree but the same talent level from 2019 they are not getting. It shows by what they putting on field last two years.

That's kind of the ebbs and flows of High School football. Sometimes you have a great group roll through sometimes you retool a couple years. I do see they have 85 players this year and a large freshman class of 30

Anyway there will be a new coaching staff in at HVT next year with Moffett retiring so it will be interesting to see which way it goes for them. Does anyone know if there has been a successor named for Moffett or any rumors who may get the gig?

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskerman7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT