ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 Results and Thoughts

youjustme

All-Conference
Sep 10, 2008
Post scores, impressions, surprises, etc for the first week of the season.
Sorry, the title under this could have been used for this purpose. I don't know how to delete this post so I will leave it here.

Appo 7-5 over Hodgson. Both teams hit well. Hodgson jumped out early with 3 run second and appo came back with 5 in 3rd. Hodgson threw sophomores Speed, Megginson and freshman Deery Appo threw Garrett for 5 and Banning for 2. Knew Appo would be solid , Hodgson a little better than expected. Will be interesting to see how they comeback tomorrow against St. Marks

Dover comes back to win 7-3. Looked awful pitching wise. Hutchins came in and shut the door allowing only 1 hit. Dover scored 6 in the top of the 7th to come back. Lake really blew away an opportunity.

Great game DMA against Middletown. The Seahawks were up 8-2 and then Middletown had one big inning when Dma had to take their pitcher out because of the pitch count rules. Both teams are playoff-caliber teams and will make some noise come tournament time. The Danz kid from DMA is a very good pitcher. Congrats to middletown and tough one DMA.

Central put a scare into tech , rival games always bring out the best , central was up 6-3 in the 5th before running out of pitching

Great game DMA against Middletown. The Seahawks were up 8-2 and then Middletown had one big inning when Dma had to take their pitcher out because of the pitch count rules. Both teams are playoff-caliber teams and will make some noise come tournament time. The Danz kid from DMA is a very good pitcher. Congrats to middletown and tough one DMA.

What are the pitch count rules? DMA pulled the pitcher after 88 pitches.

85 pitches is the max for an pitcher. Once they hit the 85 pitch count they may finish that batter but after that he must come out.

85 pitches is the max for an pitcher. Once they hit the 85 pitch count they may finish that batter but after that he must come out.

Wow does not seem like a lot for a high school pitcher. Even Little League allows for 95 for kids age 13-16 and 105 for 17-18 year old players.

Oldtimer...we old peeps come from a different era maybe...but i do think 85 is a good days work for the 1st game of the year and its usually a cold weather situation every year. If you don't have the rule, coaches will allow the kids to throw well over 100 in the cold weather. EVERY year in the past it happened. And i'm not talking about around 100....several instances of 125 PLUS in sub 40 temps. Also remember that some of these kids arent 18...lots of kids 16 and under. So unfortunately an across the board rule has to be put in.

So what's the rest requirements now? Is it base on pitches or innings? Innings cap per week?

Rest requirements are still innings and unchanged to my knowledge. This was just an additional safety precaution for early on in the season.

I believe its still...
3 inn or less no rest.
4-6 inn 2 days rest
7+ inn 3 days rest
as well as 16 inn max over any 7 DAY period

My Day 1 notes and thoughts

Mtown comeback on DMA was the highlight of the day
Appo wins a close one
Dover comes back, Milford comes back, St E comes back
Tech scores a bunch late
Sorowice of Wilm Christian gets a Grandslam on opening day...NICE
Delcastle scores 24 on Christiana
St Andrews gets a win and equals its win total from last year
A.I. scores 8 runs late to beat DEPSS...in a game that had 14 recorded errors
RLCA gives up 8 runs to Howard on NO hits...yes NO hits...but does win 18-8

Useless stat of the day...i counted 78 total errors in yesterdays games.

You would think that the pitching rules would be something that could be standardized across all organizations. As noted, 85 is less than that allowed in senior n big league. Doesn't align with USA baseball n MLB pitch smart guidelines.

We all know that having controls based on innings is silly though it's easier to measure than pitch counts. The easy 1,2,3 inning with less then 10 pitches compared to innings where you throw 30 plus pitches running full counts with runners on base etc., cannot be viewed as similar.

Oldtimer...we old peeps come from a different era maybe...but i do think 85 is a good days work for the 1st game of the year and its usually a cold weather situation every year. If you don't have the rule, coaches will allow the kids to throw well over 100 in the cold weather. EVERY year in the past it happened. And i'm not talking about around 100....several instances of 125 PLUS in sub 40 temps. Also remember that some of these kids arent 18...lots of kids 16 and under. So unfortunately an across the board rule has to be put in.

Oldskool I agree not throwing kids any more than that this early in the season. It is in the players and teams best interest. Some coaches do not get it. Play more kids you might be surprised who can get the job done. I however think it is kind of a low number when the temps warm up. I think 100 would be more of a realistic number. Little League supposedly has done some extensive research into this and they allow 11-12 year old kids to throw 85. What are the days rest per pitches in high school?

Here are the LL rules for 15-16. 1-30 pitches 0 days, 31-45 1 day, 46-60 2 days, 61-75 3 days 76+ 4 days. 95 is the max and you can finish a batter if the at bat started with the 95th pitch.

This all began because some idiot coach last year pitched a kid 9 innings 142 pitches during their first game in 39 degree weather. Kid went to Dr. Axe with arm troubles that week. The coach should have been fired instead of penalizing the entire state. Some 17-18 young men are conditioned to throw 100 pitches because they work all year. It's the kid who throws for the first time on March 1st that everyone is thinking about. Definitely will cost some other teams a game early in the season.

Not sure what to make of the poly/IR score. Anyone at the game? Not impressive for Poly to give up 12 runs to IR and certainly not impressive for IR to give up 23 runs to anyone. The box score only shows 1 error total for both teams (not that i trust scorekeepers). I thought both teams had a little pitching coming into the season. Early season rust?

I was at the game, man was it a long game. Polytech can really swing the bats. IR really struggled they had a few hits here and there but Poly's pitching really struggled. Maybe nerves got them but they threw at least 5 pitchers while I was there. Walks will hurt them throughout the season. And the box score was right no errors when I was at the game just tons of walks. Engh from IR is a good ball player High Point got themselves a talented player.

Went to Caravel game. Caravels defense and base running needs work. Lived on pitching and a big bases loaded hit from Fraley. Both teams pitching were strong. Penn's second pitcher a lefty threw hard and struck out the side in the 5th. The Caravel box score shows 10 hits but not much hard hitting going on. Guess it was a typical spring game.

St Marks over Hodgson 12-0. Reich throws no-hitter.

Why would Hodgson schedule back to back games first week of season? Then do it again second week? Played Appo and St Marks this week Tuesday/Wednesday. Next week Concord and Middletown Tuesday/Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT