ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the DE HS FB Blue Blood Programs?

Uncle Bumfuzzled

D1AA Prospect
Sep 11, 2012
Scholarly replies only.

c5f2fc57-9d0f-4e93-b222-e242b20221f4_text.gif

Yes, Middletown and Sallies would have to be there looking at historic continuity.

Yet, so would Archmere, Friends and Howard.

Though not winning a lot of state titles Archmere has been a winning program year after year with HOF coaches (Walsh, Doyle, Moglia, Ambrogi). Coach Tatt the elder put up 331 wins at Friends and was succeeded by Coach Tatt the younger who wins a state title. Howard (and yes you may have to skip a decade) has had recent titles with Coach Ritt and has a history of winning with Coach Millard Naylor and Coach Gator Lewis.

In this era, Smyrna is the bluest. Wm. Penn & Newark had decades of success. Now, that looks like the past.

Last edited:
Yes, Middletown and Sallies would have to be there looking at historic continuity.

Yet, so would Archmere, Friends and Howard.

Though not winning a lot of state titles Archmere has been a winning program year after year with HOF coaches (Walsh, Doyle, Moglia, Ambrogi). Coach Tatt the elder put up 331 wins at Friends and was succeeded by Coach Tatt the younger who wins a state title. Howard (and yes you may have to skip a decade) has had recent titles with Coach Ritt and has a history of winning with Coach Millard Naylor and Coach Gator Lewis.

In this era, Smyrna is the bluest. Wm. Penn & Newark had decades of success. Now, that looks like the past.

Archmere and Friends? really.. well if were going nuts then Caravel should be in the conversation being those two teams have been afraid to schedule them.

Last 16 years CA 124-58 .690 8 playoffs 4 semi finals 3 championship games and 1 undefeated title

Really in my opinion D2 or 2A doesn't really have a blue blood. Maybe HVT when they were D2 and then Howard and CA. From the South you have to go with Delmar really and Woodbridge as of late..but none I would really consider blue blood as in like Duke or KU basketball. I think only Middletown would fit that bill for DELHS football

Probably need to define Blue Blood a little more precisely for this exercise.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Why a precise definition? Different eras....

I remember seeing Caravel playing under Coach Wisniewski... then came DiNardo and Cylc and the bloodline began (tying the Bucs to Archmere grads). The late Bob Peoples loved HS FB. The early 1990's Bucs were as good as this year's Friends teams. Caravel is in that Blue Blood category.

Waiting for Seaford to return. What a program in the 80's and 90's!! Ron Dickerson.

Last edited:
Archmere and Friends? really.. well if were going nuts then Caravel should be in the conversation being those two teams have been afraid to schedule them.

Last 16 years CA 124-58 .690 8 playoffs 4 semi finals 3 championship games and 1 undefeated title

Really in my opinion D2 or 2A doesn't really have a blue blood. Maybe HVT when they were D2 and then Howard and CA. From the South you have to go with Delmar really and Woodbridge as of late..but none I would really consider blue blood as in like Duke or KU basketball. I think only Middletown would fit that bill for DELHS football

Agree with you as far as Caravel, Archmere matches almost to the tee with them, and this was just quick off Archmere website. during the same time, 120-53 70%, 9 playoff appearances, 3 semifinals, 3 championship games, 1 undefeated championship team-Archmere-Caravel and Friends and possibly Delmar are the Blue Bloods for me, Woodbridge doesn’t have enough of a track record yet. And on top of it Archmere did schedule Caravel this year, so it doesn’t look like they are unwilling to schedule them. Can’t say as much for Friends, their out of Division schedule is a joke Tatnall-Dickinson-Delmar-Woodbridge. Archmere out of division games St E’s, Caravel, DMA, St Marks.

Archmere also has the third overall most state championship game appearances (most appearances for a D2 team) behind middletown and newark. I'd call that a "blue blood" program.

Smyrna, Middletown, Archmere, Caravel, Delmar are tops for me. I would not put Sallies on that list - they have the most boys in the state, with the best facilities, and continually fall short

I am not fronting for Sallies. They were certainly a blue blood program in the first decade of this century....winning 3 titles. Last decade, they had one title. This decade thus far they have been competitive but have not gotten to a championship game

Historically, they have been a Blue Blood.....then again, that is history.

Almost 625 program wins in football. If they had championships back in the day, they would own a ton of them.

If you going by history of course Sallies is in, if you going by decades, most decades sallies is in, the las 12 years since 2010 Smyrna has mad an appearance for sure. Central has to be in too.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled

Neither of those two teams are afraid to schedule them, especially Friends lol.

This isn’t 15-20 years ago lol

I don't know about the last few years but they certainly would not schedule them prior. With the exception of Archmere who used to schedule them annually and then dropped them when they didn't make the playoffs a couple of years. SO yes they were afraid to schedule them. Friends and Tower Hill always ducked them. This blue-blood conversation isn't about the last few years though. Really it's well documented those SPL teams scheduled cupcakes.. is what it was

16 years is a pretty random number, I'll go 2012-2022, with 2012 being the last championship for Caravel? since everyone seems to believe that Caravel is the measure of competition. In this time frame Friends is 96-24, 8 playoffs, 7 semi's and 3 title games with this year going 13-0. Until the the realignment Archmere was happy beating up teams in the diamond state conference, or whatever it was called. The only team Friends has a losing record against in this time frame is Woodbridge...you know the Woodbridge team Friends played for ten years before the realignment. The same Woodbridge that neither Archmere nor Caravel wanted any part of over this time frame. And as for Archmere scheduling DMA/Car/StE/StM, 3 of those teams are expected to have a down year next season. Not too many risks involved for Archmere.

? since everyone seems to believe that Caravel is the measure of competition. In this time frame

Said nobody ever. All I originally said on the subject of the thread was...

"Archmere and Friends? really.. well if were going nuts then Caravel should be in the conversation"

then I went on to say

"Really in my opinion D2 or 2A doesn't really have a blue blood. Maybe HVT when they were D2 and then Howard and CA. From the South you have to go with Delmar really and Woodbridge as of late"

Remember all this is in relation to who people would think were "blue bloods" So lets keep it in context and not get all bent over the rails about it. lol

My known definition of the term "blue blood" is

"Programs that are successful year-in and year-out and seem to always be in the national championship conversation are called “blue blood programs”."

Schools like Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, and Kentucky are the most consensus “blue bloods,”

So in this context which schools would you think fit the always in the conversation as a favorite to win the ship each year?

Archmere, Friends nor Caravel fit that bill IMO. Caravel possibly for a few years but certainly Howard and HVT were and Woodbridge for a few years as of late as well as Delmar some years back.. D1 it's always been Middletown and Sallies then the emergence of Smyrna now they are annually in the conversation. If we go back 20-30 years then there was William Penn and Newark but not anymore obviously

Really as far as High School football and the transient nature of rosters and ebbs and flows it is really hard to nail down a true blue blood. I mean even a program like Gilman or DeMatha falls on hard times.

Last edited:
also Friends schedule 2012-2018 was weaker than circus lemonade. so there's that

Here's SOS comparison between Friends and CA being you want to focus on that

2012: F -9.5 CA 5.4
2013: F -17.2 CA 13.2
2014: F -13.4 CA 11.5
2015: F -3.4 CA 6.6
2016: F 0.1 CA 13.0
2017: F -7.6 CA 6.1
2018: F 0.2 CA -10.8

Last edited:
Dude, you and a few others consistently call out Friends for a long list of things, so your focus on them is well noted. A few on this thread have brought up who schedules Caravel and who does not, so I'm not

Apparently I am not good at texting right now so I am just going to wrap up and try again later.

I don't know about the last few years but they certainly would not schedule them prior. With the exception of Archmere who used to schedule them annually and then dropped them when they didn't make the playoffs a couple of years. SO yes they were afraid to schedule them. Friends and Tower Hill always ducked them. This blue-blood conversation isn't about the last few years though. Really it's well documented those SPL teams scheduled cupcakes.. is what it was
You are lying to yourself and everyone on this board if you are saying Archmere ever ducked Caravel. Even in Caravels heyday Jerry Ambrogie (RIP) was never scared to schedule them. We can go back and "check the tape" if need be...

Also, If Tattersall was healthy they would have blown Caravel out. Anyone who was at that game knows that. Lastly, Caravel is the only team DIAA has allowed to recruit without penalty these past two decades. Its about time you've come down off that high-horse BIG DAWG.

I started this thread as a discussion that is trying to take the long view. It seems to be getting a little contentious. I do think Friends is a blue blood. Daddy Tatt won 331 games in like 50 years with many silk panty titles.

You are lying to yourself and everyone on this board if you are saying Archmere ever ducked Caravel. Even in Caravels heyday Jerry Ambrogie (RIP) was never scared to schedule them. We can go back and "check the tape" if need be...

Fact,, Archmere not Caravel ended a 10 year run of playing Caravel annually in 2017
Fact.. Archmere coach claimed he didn't want to play because they hadn't made the playoffs in a couple years and wanted to schedule lighter
Fact.. Archmere hasn't scheduled them again until this upcoming year

Don't need to check any tape

but yeah you are right that Archmere and Caravel scheduled each other all the time. Archmere ended it

Also, If Tattersall was healthy they would have blown Caravel out. Anyone who was at that game knows that. Lastly, Caravel is the only team DIAA has allowed to recruit without penalty these past two decades. Its about time you've come down off that high-horse BIG DAWG.

what high horse is that little pup? I am not affiliated with Caravel at all other than my kid graduated there in 2015... I don't care if they recruit or don't recruit or what they do, If if if I don't even know what game you are crying about

Last edited:
Archmere ended it in 2017?!
Fact,, Archmere not Caravel ended a 10 year run of playing Caravel annually in 2017
Fact.. Archmere coach claimed he didn't want to play because they hadn't made the playoffs in a couple years and wanted to schedule lighter
Fact.. Archmere hasn't scheduled them again until this upcoming year

Don't need to check any tape

but yeah you are right that Archmere and Caravel scheduled each other all the time. Archmere ended it
They stopped scheduling them in 2017? BIB, I am trully disappointed pal... Archmere played carvel 2018-2019 and beat them by 41-20!!! It wasnt even a close game

what high horse is that little pup? I am not affiliated with Caravel at all other than my kid graduated there in 2015... I don't care if they recruit or don't recruit or what they do, If if if I don't even know what game you are crying about

Lol, you care so much you will say anything to spin the narrative. Archmere has NEVER ducked Caravel. Put some respect on their name old you just sound like a hater at this point.

"Fact,, Archmere not Caravel ended a 10 year run of playing Caravel annually in 2017"

This is just a false statement, lol.

"Fact.. Archmere coach claimed he didn't want to play because they hadn't made the playoffs in a couple years and wanted to schedule lighter."

After Archmere dropped Caravel they went on their most dominant run since the 80's and Caravel won a single playoff game against Tower Hill before this year.

"Fact.. Archmere hasn't scheduled them again until this upcoming year"

DE has pre-determined schedules currently so you cant even choose your opponents. You think Archmere has been scared of Caravel the last three years?!?! They've scrimmaged them to start the season the past three years. Doesnt sound like a team thats ducking any smoke Caravel has to offer.

...........Where the heck did you get all these "facts" from BIG Dawg?

Archmere ended it in 2017?!

They stopped scheduling them in 2017? BIB, I am trully disappointed pal... Archmere played carvel 2018-2019 and beat them by 41-20!!! It wasnt even a close game
ok I was a year off,, but that was reason I was told why Archmere wan;t on the schedule anymore the next year,,,

Lol, you care so much you will say anything to spin the narrative. Archmere has NEVER ducked Caravel. Put some respect on their name old you just sound like a hater at this point.
never hater,, just firing up the crowd... honestly I haven't watched much of the 2A or 1A games.. unless a 3A game isn't streaming...rather watch Smyrna or Middletown playing whomever,, I really don't care who wins.. This forum is all just entertainment to me..

16 years is a pretty random number, I'll go 2012-2022, with 2012 being the last championship for Caravel? since everyone seems to believe that Caravel is the measure of competition. In this time frame Friends is 96-24, 8 playoffs, 7 semi's and 3 title games with this year going 13-0. Until the the realignment Archmere was happy beating up teams in the diamond state conference, or whatever it was called. The only team Friends has a losing record against in this time frame is Woodbridge...you know the Woodbridge team Friends played for ten years before the realignment. The same Woodbridge that neither Archmere nor Caravel wanted any part of over this time frame. And as for Archmere scheduling DMA/Car/StE/StM, 3 of those teams are expected to have a down year next season. Not too many risks involved for Archmere.
You do understand Archmere went through Woodbridge in both their State Championship appearances. Holy smokes fellas. We just love dragging Archmere on this board, huh?

You do understand Archmere went through Woodbridge in both their State Championship appearances. Holy smokes fellas. We just love dragging Archmere on this board, huh?
your right Archmere is awesome. Have another on me,, cheers 🍺

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT