ADVERTISEMENT

WP muffed punt

CHS89

JV stand out
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2010
Confused about the ruling of a touchback on the muffed punt recovered in the end zone by MT. You can clearly see the WP player touches the ball, tries to jump on it after and MT recovers in the endzone. He did call for a fair catch and I understand you can’t progress a muffed punt. The video by NKN on twitter shows the play clearly. Did the refs think he didn’t originally touch the ball on the fair catch? Was it ruled correctly or should it have been an MT touchdown?

I am pretty sure with HS rules once the ball crosses the goaline into the endzone it is a immediate touchback. Just like you cant return kicks out of the endzone

Reactions: CHS89
I am pretty sure with HS rules once the ball crosses the goaline into the endzone it is a immediate touchback. Just like you cant return kicks out of the endzone
I remember last year we recovered a sallies punt or a touchdown for a touchdown in the end zone. And the year before it happened at concord on a punt. He clearly touched the ball last night. No doubt whatsoever.

They got it right, because there was no possession and/or force, once it crosses the goal line it's a touchback.

The muffing or batting of a pass, kick or fumble in flight is not considered a new force. Force is not a factor on kicks going into R's end zone, since these kicks are always a touchback regardless of who supplied the force.

Reactions: CHS89
I remember last year we recovered a sallies punt or a touchdown for a touchdown in the end zone. And the year before it happened at concord on a punt. He clearly touched the ball last night. No doubt whatsoever.

What abou the Penn catch that was ruled a catch that shouldn't have been.

He dropped the ball as soon as he was hit so by rule it should have been a fumble, however, I also didn't. Think he caught it. I thought you had to catch the ball and take two steps for it to be a complete catch, so as soon as he caught it in the air, the ball came out after the hit. So wouldn't that have been an incomplete pass?

Those were the two questionable ref calls in that game. Besides them, I thought the refs were pretty decent than what I've seen this season.

What abou the Penn catch that was ruled a catch that shouldn't have been.

He dropped the ball as soon as he was hit so by rule it should have been a fumble, however, I also didn't. Think he caught it. I thought you had to catch the ball and take two steps for it to be a complete catch, so as soon as he caught it in the air, the ball came out after the hit. So wouldn't that have been an incomplete pass?

Those were the two questionable ref calls in that game. Besides them, I thought the refs were pretty decent than what I've seen this season.

That two step or make a move is a NFL rule.. In HS you just need possession and 1 foot in bounds or on the ground

Reactions: HSftballlaxFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT