ADVERTISEMENT

2019 All-Delaware Bowl (2nd Annual)

OneJourney

Tackles too high
Sep 10, 2014
For all the Delaware high school football fans, come out and see the future of Delaware on June 15th, 2019 at Appoquinimink HS. The rising freshman game starts at 5:00pm. The younger players will also be playing prior to the rising freshman game so it will be a day full of football. There will also be programs available at the game with a list of all the rising freshman players participating and the high schools they will be going to. So mark it in your calendars and see you there. Official game times are below

•3rd/4th Grade Game - 11:00am

•5th/6th Grade Game -1:00pm

•7th Grade Game - 3:00pm

•Rising Freshman Game - 5:00pm

Its $10 per ticket (kids under 5 are free).

To view the rosters or purchase tickets online, go to www.onejourneysports.com/ojadb . Tickets will also be available at the entrance #OneJourney #DreamsIntoReality #OJADB #alldelawarebowl

Last edited:
Polytech HS Incoming Freshman QB Nykael Norman will be playing in this year’s One Journey All-Delaware Bowl on June 15th, 2019 at Appoquinimink HS. Click video below to check out some of highlights from the fall. For more details on the All-Delaware Bowl, go to www.onejourneysports.com/ojadb

Please don't take this as bashing this game, just my opinion.

I can totally understand running a combine (40, agility drills, some football drills) for younger kids over the summer. It would give kids chances to meet different kids at different schools and see other talent other than who they usually play against in the fall.

But running these (all star games?), which is pretty much a pay to play thing, does not seem beneficial to the kids. How can anyone expect a 9-14 year old kid to be ready to play a full game of 11 on 11 football after three to four days of practice. Anyone associated with coaching the sport of football in any way knows that this is not possible with this sport, and more important isn't anyway safe for the kids. There is a reason that DIAA forbids any contact the first three days of practice, and these kids (especially so young) are expected to play a full game after 3-4 days?

So what is the benefit to playing in a game like this for the kids? Exposure? these previous games have had no programs, no announcers, etc. No ones offering anyone a scholarship for playing in a pay to play all star game at the age of 9-14, unless your name is David Sills (joke) They will get exposure when they get to HS and play four full seasons.

So again, who is this benefiting? Answer is pretty easy.....

Reactions: youjustme
@Fann76 This event gives participating players and families something to look forward to. Its a great time for players to connect with other players and for families to connect with other families. A lot of these players play and compete against each other in the fall but with this event it gives them a chance to come together and play with eachother and have fun doing it. It's a great experience! Last year was our first year hosting this event and we got a lot of great feedback from the families expressing how much fun they had and how much their kids learned from it. Players get a chance to learn from great coaches. For example, Justin Brown and Lewis Toler coached last year, both played in the NFL and were able to show players different types of techniques during practices as well as games and the players enjoyed it. Right before gameday , we have a pep rally for the kids and families to attend. At the pep rally, there's music, games, food. Briean Boddy - Calhoun (currently plays for the Houston Texans) came out to the pep rally to share some advice to the players and families, the players were beyond excited for that moment. So to be honest sir, this event is way bigger then football, its an all-around great experience for players and their families. I can go on and on about all the different types of benefits that go along with this event but until your actually apart of it or at least take the time to attend the games, you may not understand.

I can totally understand running a combine (40, agility drills, some football drills) for younger kids over the summer. It would give kids chances to meet different kids at different schools and see other talent other than who they usually play against in the fall.

But running these (all star games?), which is pretty much a pay to play thing, does not seem beneficial to the kids. How can anyone expect a 9-14 year old kid to be ready to play a full game of 11 on 11 football after three to four days of practice. Anyone associated with coaching the sport of football in any way knows that this is not possible with this sport, and more important isn't anyway safe for the kids. There is a reason that DIAA forbids any contact the first three days of practice, and these kids (especially so young) are expected to play a full game after 3-4 days?

So what is the benefit to playing in a game like this for the kids? Exposure? these previous games have had no programs, no announcers, etc. No ones offering anyone a scholarship for playing in a pay to play all star game at the age of 9-14, unless your name is David Sills (joke) They will get exposure when they get to HS and play four full seasons.

The kids are benefiting because they get to play full contact football with friends and unfamiliar faces in the month of June.
Pretty simple.

So we should do away with the Blue-Gold game with your logic.

Players meeting other payers, families hanging out, and a pep rally sound like a good time, but again, how is it benefiting a 9-14 year old kid to play in a "full contact game of football" after 3-4 days of practice? I'll answer... it doesn't.

There are reasons there are rules all over the country as far as when you can begin contact in practice in the sport of football. Anyone with any football sense knows that no kid 9-14 years of age is ready (physically or mentally) to play a four quarter game, let alone do any live scrimmaging, after 3-4 days of practice.

As far as Blue Gold goes, that is a poor comparison. These are 17-18 year old kids that have had 4 years of HS football experience, bodies developed, a good amount of who are training to play college football.

Like I said in my earlier post, I am all for some good competition, meeting new people and families, getting great coaching from great coaches, in a combine / clinic type setting, but the preparation (physically and mentally) to play a full game of football (with 9-14 year olds) is a completely different animal then say a sport like baseball or basketball.

Parents should stop drinking the cool aide that these games are about your kid getting "EXPOSURE", go spend your $ on your kids cleats for the upcoming Fall season, when football is meant to be played.

Reactions: youjustme
This bill is working its way through House Ways and Means Committee now in Maryland. Several other states are introducing similar bills

https://legiscan.com/MD/bill/HB1106/2019

Status
Spectrum: Partisan Bill (Democrat 1-0)
Action: 2019-02-12 - Hearing 3/07 at 1:00 p.m.
Pending: House Ways and Means Committee
Text: Latest bill text (Introduced) [PDF]

Summary
Limiting an annual football season to the months of August through December; prohibiting a youth sports program from offering, approving, or sponsoring football or certain physical activities related to football during the months of January through July; requiring a certain youth athlete to use certain equipment when participating in certain sports; limiting the number of certain types of practices for football for certain youth athletes; limiting the types of contact certain youth athletes may engage in for a certain sport; etc.

Last edited:
I have not stated that I am in favor or not of these small children playing in this small amount of training time. However, if you believe my comparison is poor. Then your comparison is just as equally as poor as mine.

A 17-18 year old body (physically or mentally) is not anywhere being close to developed. Their brain can handle the same amount of contact as these 9-14 year olds. I do believe brains aren't fully developed until a person is in their mid 20's. Do all of these high schoolers have more experience? No, because some of these 14 year olds have 5 years of experience playing football. Some of these high school players going to the Blue-Gold game only put on equipment in high school and only train during the season. Most high schoolers in the public school don't train at all until the season starts.

It's fun for the kids and their families. It's as simple as that.

AI DuPont HS Incoming Freshman ATH Jahmir Davis will be playing in this year’s One Journey All-Delaware Bowl on June 15th, 2019 at Appoquinimink HS. For more details on the All-Delaware Bowl, go to www.onejourneysports.com/ojadb (link in the bio) Swipe for more highlights)

9 days until Kickoff
Make sure your there.
$10 per ticket
June 15th, 2019
Appoquinimink HS (Middletown, Delaware)
Entrance Time - 10am

will there be a time where high school coaches can talk to these kids they like one on one? that way they can try to get them to come to there school via school choice. or should coaches set that up off site? or will there be a program with names and cell phone numbers and address?

recruiting is illegal in Delaware Sir.

caddyshack-ditchdiggers.jpg

Last edited:
I was being sarcastic......
we all know this is a money grab and for the private schools to recruit.

Reactions: Fann76
Haters man, haters! They don’t realize how great the event is until there actually apart of it and that’s as simple as just coming out to watch!

Reactions: TruthSerum1
lol, airfare for 3 plus 4 days in a hotel in Boston, 3 grand for one tournament that doesn’t include 3 days in Pittsburgh, Baltimore & DC, adds up quick !

2019 DEMARINI CF ZEN 2 5/8 -5 YOUTH BASEBALL BAT: WTDXCB519
DeMarini
SKU: DM-WTDXCB51930
$349.95

zen-5_x700.jpg

This is what I played legion ball with coach had a bag of them no need to buy a bat lol

il_794xN.1870512951_n08h.jpg

Another old guy checking in. I remember these days. I also remember there being an Army bag full of batting helmets, catcher's equipment and a cup for the catchers to share. No need to have any equipment except a glove and a lot of kids had their old man's glove.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
lol yep army duffel bags full of stuff.. sometimes bases as well

Last edited:
This is actually more our era they switched from canvas to vinyl.. lol the older ones they used to call bags..it's where the term 4 bagger came from

6678169.jpg

That's what we need. A DE Preps Blue-Gold softball game/kegger. We can play it in Smyrna and have the kegger at Sheridans. Bummy can play The National Anthem on his accordion. What a day this could be, we could air all our grievances face to face with bats and alcohol involved, what could go wrong?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT