St Marks 6-1 24+2=26 (3.71)
Newark 5-1 20+2=22 (3.66)

Howard 6 wins
Archmere 7 wins
St Marks 6 wins
Newark 5 wins

#Clinched conference and autobid

Last edited:
So I wonder if they decide to honor Delmars number of games, does that go back and factor into the Smyrna, SC, SG, and Hodgsons seedings?

I guess they are thinking they are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. So why not pawn it off to someone else?

Not sure how they can name a champion beyond flipping a coin and no one wants that.. It's in the rules they don't have to send a autobid representative and it just goes to at large point index.. I am sure they waited until they made sure one of them would get in though because theoretically if it went to point index neither of them could have gotten in

So I wonder if they decide to honor Delmars number of games, does that go back and factor into the Smyrna, SC, SG, and Hodgsons seedings?

All questions for tomorrow morning

Who would have thunk a DIAA Football Committee meeting would be the must see "Main Event" of the season.. Can't wait.. Wonder how much sleep the committee members will be getting tonight?.. Oh and the back door deals and calls being made.. woooeee.. Maybe the committee members should be sequestered until 9 AM..haha

Last edited:
I’m assuming they will determine if Delmar is eligible before deciding a tie breaker. If not could Delmer end up winning the South but not make the playoffs? Weird situation. You’d think the tiebreaker would have been determined before the season. Had to know this was a possibility.

Will anyone have a link to the meeting in the morning?

I’m assuming they will determine if Delmar is eligible before deciding a tie breaker. If not could Delmer end up winning the South but not make the playoffs? Weird situation. You’d think the tiebreaker would have been determined before the season. Had to know this was a possibility.

Will anyone have a link to the meeting in the morning?

I think it matters more for D1 than D2 in regards to Delmar.. Even if they give Delmar a waiver to be eligible they still lose the tiebreakers and would be out anyway..

Opponents Wins

Red Lion 22
Woodbridge 13
Delmar 11

Last edited:
Hard to win opponent wins when you only got to play four games and everybody else got at least five. If you index it Red Lion would the 1st with 3.17, Delmar would be 2nd with 2.75, and Woodridge would be last with 2.6.

Just talked to a committee member. Unlikely to happen, but said there is growing sentiment for a coin flip. Said committee was caught off guard by Henny South passing the buck.

Reactions: Titanium Shadow
Hard to win opponent wins when you only got to play four games and everybody else got at least five. If you index it Red Lion would the 1st with 3.17, Delmar would be 2nd with 2.75, and Woodridge would be last with 2.6.

I agree but I doubt that one will even be on the table,, Best you are gonna get is get the minimum 5 games waived doubt they go anywhere beyond that. In fact I know they won't from watching the meetings before the season and seeing how the other sports went down.

Just talked to a committee member. Unlikely to happen, but said there is growing sentiment for a coin flip. Said committee was caught off guard by Henny South passing the buck.

Coin flip for the 3 4.0's or just between DM and WB?

OMG!!!! The Mrs just reminded me we are meeting someone at 9am to go winterize the RV tomorrow.. damn..man.. how do I get out of this? I can't arghhhh! 😡 guess I will have to follow on #delhs.😭

So is Donna Polk going to break her promise that "no team will get hurt from Covid related cancellations"?

I don't think she is going to go that far into it as to change point systems and what not..just waive the minimum game requirement.. It won't be on the table to change the point systems and how they are calculated.. Way to big of a can of worms at this point

Hope for the coin flip.. 50/50 is way better odds than you had coming into the last two weeks

Howard should step up and play Delmar tomorrow.

Why would they do that?

Hearing no coin flip..

EnchantedFittingDodobird-max-1mb.gif

Why would they do that?

Hearing no coin flip..
Yes, there is no upside for Howard in paying Delmar, but it would be an elegant way to resolve the issue of who gets in. If Delmar can beat Howard, they deserve to be in the tournament and the extra oppo wins would win them the tiebreaker over Woodbridge. If they lose, at least they got a shot on the field.

The truth is quite simple. Both Delmar and Woodbridge should be in the tournament. Handing out 6 point wins in the DSC is a joke. One of these deserving teams will be left out, who cares why? They are not private schools with lawyers at the ready, It must be nice to have money and influence.

There seems to be some misunderstanding about the Hen South not naming a champion. They are not putting it on the football committee to name one for them. They simply are not submitting a team for their autobid so the spot is open for at large teams to fill the playoff field based on point index. The points could have worked out where neither team got in and would have if DMA would have won.

Now you could argue the HSC waited until after they knew the points would work out that one of their teams would get in but that is not against the rules. Personally I think they were waiting to see what happened with the Laurel and Delmar game..

Really the question at hand is if they will give Delmar a waiver for the minimum 5 games rule knowing if they do Delmar wouldn't get in anyway. Upon that decision then they will decide how it applies across the board to Delmar's opponents. There is no rule for that so it will probably be up for debate and a motion made and voted on.

With the other sports they just waived the qualifier but didn't get into the effect on the point systems and what not.

I am assuming if they grant Delmar the waiver (even though they won't qualify anyway) then their games would also count for all the teams that played them and would change the playoff field. So you are not really voting for Delmar to get in but for Central to get in over HVT ( also depending on how they interpret the tiebreaker rules).. Very interesting

On the other hand if the interpretation is St G can't get in over HVT in a tiebreaker situation then none of this matters and the seeds would remain as they are if Delmar doesn't count...

Last edited:
All this being said and debated about fairness and rules and what not. Any objective person who follows DELHS football looking at the WB v DM situation would come to the conclusion that Woodbridge is clearly the better team and should be the one to get in. I think that much is obvious and needs to be said..

Last edited:
Reactions: CityFielder
Sooooo.. after some thought and reflection, if I am the Committee Chair. If the minimum game waiver doesn't affect whether Delmar gets in or not then I decline the request as not necessary to vote on and just go with the rules as written. It makes no sense to grant the waiver then having to change other rules for a team not able to qualify anyway. Just my 2c. Who knows if Delmar will even petition for the waiver knowing they can't get in anyway.. Unless they are just trying to help Central out..

Last edited:
Reactions: CityFielder
I totally agree with you on this one. But the issues is the DIAA chair said no team should be penalized by the Covid situation. She already has set precedent with the field hockey situation. Not sure how she can not do the same for Delmar.
not that it matters, just curious. Woodbridge was able to reschedule a couple of their games. Delmar did not. Could the blame be on the Delmar AD?

I totally agree with you on this one. But the issues is the DIAA chair said no team should be penalized by the Covid situation. She already has set precedent with the field hockey situation. Not sure how she can not do the same for Delmar.
not that it matters, just curious. Woodbridge was able to reschedule a couple of their games. Delmar did not. Could the blame be on the Delmar AD?

The difference being St Marks FH and the others had the points to qualify, in fact the were the 7th of 12 seeds. I believe it was RLCA Volleyball who did not get it waived as they didn't have the points but they were also 4 games short of the minny (all covid cancellations).

This is the rule as written about Covid issues.. Polk can only make suggestions it is not a dictatorship..

From football tournament manuel

Item 5. Tournament Seeding

A. COVID-19

a. The football committee recognizes the need to adapt to changing conditions this fall. We support DIAA recommendations to play high school sports for the opportunity for our student-athletes to compete. We reserve the right to meet and revise the seeding procedure if conditions in Delaware make seeding a tournament unfair and not representative of the best teams in each division

The committee should follow the rules as written prior to the season. Sure, even if they give Delmar the waiver that still leaves them out but it would be completely wrong to drop out Woodbridge or RLCA who have both earned their spots.
Woodbridge undefeated, RLCA’s only loss is a double OT loss 20-19 to #1 seeded Archmere. Both of those teams found a way to get their games in, including RLCA playing 2 games this week.
seedlings should be
1) Archmere
2) Howard
3) RLCA
4) Woodbridge

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT