ADVERTISEMENT

Cape coach hired !

He's going to need to change his style of coaching if he plans to do well in D1 or at all. Like Bucs said, too predictable. If he falls behind early against Smyrna, Dover, or the rest of the north they won't be able to play catch up.

What works in his favor is that Cape has the size to ground and pound unlike St. George's did. He got away with it by having speed and athletes at the skill positions. So Cape having a good sized line certainly works in his favor though

Reactions: Bucsnot
With all the talent and numbers walking the hallway at cape, coach Maull will have no problem turning that program around. He's a player's coach and kids love playing for him and buy into his philosophies. Great hire

Reactions: urbaseballdaddy
J.D. Maull is a great hire, just wondering about his staff...While at St. George's he had great Assistant Coaches. ..If he keeps the same coaching staff Collick had I don't know...

His offense is predictable.... about 3 run plays to either side & 2 pass plays .
100% correct... Not too much different than Collick. .. Not going work at D-1.. When you got Dover, Tech, Smyrna and Central in same conference..

Maull not that good at all.. 1 good year at St. Georges and now you expect him to do great at D-1 Cape.. Please.. Living in a fairytale...

More than one.. They made the tournament 4 years in a row 2013-2016. 3 times as a one seed but never won it. The loss to Howard in the chip was a shocker

2013- 1 seed lost in semis
2014- 1 seed lost in semis
2015- 1 seed lost in chip
2016- 3 seed lost in semis

and of course we know how they did last year in D1

When he had the Selby twins and then Brightwell he did good but pretty much anyone in D2 would have with those guys IMO..when Brightwell left for St Frances things kind of unraveled from there

Last edited:
The 1pt loss to CR might be the best thing on his resume from last season.

The 4 wins were against bad teams

Appo 3-7
Dover 2-8
Newark 2-8
Delcastle 1-9

2015 and 2016 ST G did beat CR but CR was a 3-17 those two years

other than that they never beat a D1 team other than Charter.. Maull always scheduled soft
Cape still needs a week 1 game.. Delmar is still open that week but no way in hell he takes that game... He did schedule some scrimmages vs HVT and DMA though

Last edited:
The 1pt loss to CR might be the best thing on his resume from last season.

The 4 wins were against bad teams

Appo 3-7
Dover 2-8
Newark 2-8
Delcastle 1-9

2015 and 2016 ST G did beat CR but CR was a 3-17 those two years

other than that they never beat a D1 team other than Charter.. Maull always scheduled soft
Cape still needs a week 1 game.. Delmar is still open that week but no way in hell he takes that game... He did schedule some scrimmages vs HVT and DMA though
What about the years he dominated Caravel?

More than one.. They made the tournament 4 years in a row 2013-2016. 3 times as a one seed but never won it. The loss to Howard in the chip was a shocker

When he had the Selby twins and then Brightwell he did good but pretty much anyone in D2 would have with those guys IMO..when Brightwell left for St Frances things kind of unraveled from there

I think Maull is a good coach and it's just my personal opinion. Sure having the Selbys and the Brightwells of the world helped, but considering how often St. Georges was in playoff contention for a school just starting out, it's pretty impressive.

And I expected them to blow Howard's doors off in 2015 so when that didn't happen, I was stunned.

Sceduled Caravel for a home and home then tried to get out of it and play Friends...2013 and 2014 and yes they beat Caravel 27-23 and 14-10 the Selby twins were very good and they had a tall TE/DE that was very good.. Then he refused to schedule CA again actually stating because he didn't have twins anymore..true story

Don't get me wrong I like Coach Maull and think he is a good coach and I am not offering an opinion on how he will do at Cape just putting out some numbers and facts . Who knows how well he will do? His players like him so that is a plus but I don't believe they disliked Collick either

.. I was in the camp of Cape hiring someone with a more modern offense as I stated in previous posts. I think if they follow the Smyrna model kids will choice there for football like they do for lacrosse Nice building, good facilities, great location to be a destination school down there..JMHO

Don't get me wrong I like Coach Maull and think he is a good coach and I am not offering an opinion on how he will do at Cape just putting out some numbers and facts . Who knows how well he will do? His players like him so that is a plus but I don't believe they disliked Collick either

.. I was in the camp of Cape hiring someone with a more modern offense as I stated in previous posts. I think if they follow the Smyrna model kids will choice there for football like they do for lacrosse Nice building, good facilities, great location to be a destination school down there..JM

When he had the Selby twins and then Brightwell he did good but pretty much anyone in D2 would have with those guys IMO..when Brightwell left for St Frances things kind of unraveled from there[/QUO

Put all stats you want... My question is how many titles??? Think thats 0 and that was D-2.. Dont hate Maull but Cape should of went outside the box.. Lets be honest here.. There maybe very little difference from Collick... Cape has no talent in football for next 4 years.. People funny if they think Maull can take Cape to playoffs.. Lol..

A lot of people hating on JD getting hired. Makes no sense. To say he had no success at St Georges or that he is not a good coach is a joke! He started the program from scratch and made it one of the best programs in the state in a short period of time! And with that success on the field he also made a lot of boys into good men, which is even more important! Thinking some of you may know someone that did not get the job or you are worried that athletes will stay at Cape now instead of going to Sussex Tech!!!!!!!

A lot of people hating on JD getting hired. Makes no sense. To say he had no success at St Georges or that he is not a good coach is a joke! He started the program from scratch and made it one of the best programs in the state in a short period of time! And with that success on the field he also made a lot of boys into good men, which is even more important! Thinking some of you may know someone that did not get the job or you are worried that athletes will stay at Cape now instead of going to Sussex Tech!!!!!!!
#REALTALK

Reactions: 84rider
A lot of people hating on JD getting hired. Makes no sense. To say he had no success at St Georges or that he is not a good coach is a joke! He started the program from scratch and made it one of the best programs in the state in a short period of time! And with that success on the field he also made a lot of boys into good men, which is even more important! Thinking some of you may know someone that did not get the job or you are worried that athletes will stay at Cape now instead of going to Sussex Tech!!!!!!![/QUOTE
Not hating. . This aint D-2.. Runing 5 plays a game.. Going get you ass kicked in D-1..

Sceduled Caravel for a home and home then tried to get out of it and play Friends...2013 and 2014 and yes they beat Caravel 27-23 and 14-10 the Selby twins were very good and they had a tall TE/DE that was very good.. Then he refused to schedule CA again actually stating because he didn't have twins anymore..true story
Trust me .. I did my homework... Aint no talent at Cape right now.. Some of it was Collick but most of it was he only had 2 or 3 players where good last year....

Trust me .. I did my homework... Aint no talent at Cape right now.. Some of it was Collick but most of it was he only had 2 or 3 players where good last year....
There is plenty of talent in that district, he just has to get them to stay in that district. If he can do that, he will be successful! And as a coach the Division does not matter. You coach the kids that you have in the division your in. Only difference between D1 and D2 in Delaware is the amount of kids. More kids gives the you the chance to have more talent. You coach what you have. He is going to be fine!

There is plenty of talent in that district, he just has to get them to stay in that district. If he can do that, he will be successful! And as a coach the Division does not matter. You coach the kids that you have in the division your in. Only difference between D1 and D2 in Delaware is the amount of kids. More kids gives the you the chance to have more talent. You coach what you have. He is going to be fine!
We will revisit these in week 5 this season... If you think Cape has talent next 3 years.. You is really confused .. Its big difference from D-1 to D2.. Wat was St. Georges record this year in D-1.. Iam waiting.....

He has to rebuild and he will at Cape. St George's was 4-6 last year. They had a down year, most teams have them every once in a while. Their six losses were to teams with a combined record of 46-20, and I am pretty sure 5 of the 6 teams that they lost to made the playoffs. D1 D2, not a huge difference at all in Delaware. Hodgson moved up and did not have a down year, they were one of the best teams in D1 this past year after just moving up to D1. Delaware is not Florida or Texas or even New Jersey. Like I said, if he can get the kids to stay in the district instead of going elsewhere he will be fine. Plenty of talent in that district, there always has been. I hope I did not keep you waiting too long! St Georges record since 2009, since having a varsity program is 73-29, with over half of the losses coming in their first season and last season. I have changed my mind, he is a terrible coach!

He has to rebuild and he will at Cape. St George's was 4-6 last year. They had a down year, most teams have them every once in a while. Their six losses were to teams with a combined record of 46-20, and I am pretty sure 5 of the 6 teams that they lost to made the playoffs. D1 D2, not a huge difference at all in Delaware. Hodgson moved up and did not have a down year, they were one of the best teams in D1 this past year after just moving up to D1. Delaware is not Florida or Texas or even New Jersey. Like I said, if he can get the kids to stay in the district instead of going elsewhere he will be fine. Plenty of talent in that district, there always has been. I hope I did not keep you waiting too long! St Georges record since 2009, since having a varsity program is 73-29, with over half of the losses coming in their first season and last season. I have changed my mind, he is a terrible coach!
Lol... Missing piont... But you seen will see...

I do not think I am missing a point. You were waiting, and I responded. You have nothing better to say? Your acting like maybe you were a coach that did not succeed at Cape and got cut, and now has hard feelings? Or maybe someone you know really well did, maybe a good friend or his son! Whatever it is, JD has done a great job with St George's! And Cape may not have any talent now because they all go somewhere else. If he can get the kids to stay in the district he will do good. That's what is most important for Cape to be good! JD cares about any program he coaches and how they do, but more importantly making the kids he coaches into men! That is what matters with this program the most even if they had made the playoffs more than three times in like the last thirty years!

Lol Who exactly did JDM turn into men who wouldn’t have became one without him? Just asking.

Lol Who exactly did JDM turn into men who wouldn’t have became one without him? Just asking.

rooster...we know that has a ring of a cliché but you know the impact that many teachers and coaches have on kids. They often identify who they are and how they got there with an inspirational coach / teacher. I do. Did you have a coach or teacher that did that for you? What do you think?

Just messing around Chesdel...

stirring.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT