ADVERTISEMENT

David Sills playing for WVU today vs Baylor

I must comment on those speaking badly about Delaware High School Football. First and foremost, are we as good as PA, Texas, Florida, Ohio etc? Hell no. Yet, for our size, we are a competitive state that has produced a number of NFL players; especially in recent years. I will try and compile a list of DE high school football players who made an NFL roster whether that was on the practice squad or the 53 man;

Duron Harmon - CR - New England Patriots - CURRENT
Devon Still - Howard - Cincinnati Bengals
Andrew Szcerzba - Sallies - Atlanta Falcons
Justin Brown - Concord - Pittsburgh Steelers
Paul Worrilow - Concord - Atlanta Falcons - CURRENT
Malcolm Bunche - Newark - Philadelphia Eagles - CURRENT
Justin Perillo - Tatnall - Green Bay Packers - CURRENT
Derrell Smith - Hogdson - Houston Texans
Desmond Wynn - St. Marks - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Kwame Harris - Newark - San Francisco 49ers
Orion Harris - Newark - Pittsburgh Steelers
Jerome Smith - Pencaser Charter - Atlanta Falcons
Montell Owens - Concord - Jacksonville Jaguars

All of these players played DE High School football from 2000 and on. I could be forgetting some as well. I would say for a small state with only 3 counties, it is evident we have some talent in such a small state. We also, from my count, have about a dozen Division 1 players right now as well.

This does not even include the amount of DE High School football players who go tryouts as well but failed to make a team. Some off of the top of my head are Eric Latimore, the Merrell twins, Mike Potts, Josh Watson.

So all of you who are talking badly of DE football, I hope this proves you wrong. I doubt there are many states who can pick 3 counties in their state that have produced this many NFL athletes within the past ten years.

I am still trying to figure out how what state a kid is born in or happens to live in makes them a better athlete. Its really just a numbers game IMO... The states with more HS players produce more NCAA players.. That's pretty much it.. No state has magical football player producing water that I am aware of.

Two changes in WVU's depth chart today. One of which is David Sills is the starter at the Z receiver this week.

Just because he's playing WR doesn't mean he is done as a QB. Holgorsen is just getting his best athletes on the field. Our 2nd team QB, William Crest, plays quite a bit at WR and RB.

Thats just ignorant.. What I saw was a kid having fun and playing.. who cares what the Dad wanted.. The kid looked good and a was having fun..

Agreed dont punish the kid for the Dad's issues. He is a Delaware kid playing D1 ball and doing well. Good for him.

I am still trying to figure out how what state a kid is born in or happens to live in makes them a better athlete. Its really just a numbers game IMO... The states with more HS players produce more NCAA players.. That's pretty much it.. No state has magical football player producing water that I am aware of.

Well circumstances are different from state to state. They say FL, TX, CA, GA are the best for football right now.

FL most of the best players reclassify and are 19 when they graduate. They have spring football - 8 to 10 more weeks practice over 4 years, etc. Also playing better competition makes you better IMO and in some states that happens more then others.

TX & GA are the same as FL. So I think there are states that are more "football centric" but being from one state or another doesnt make you better IMO.

Well circumstances are different from state to state. They say FL, TX, CA, GA are the best for football right now.

FL most of the best players reclassify and are 19 when they graduate. They have spring football - 8 to 10 more weeks practice over 4 years, etc. Also playing better competition makes you better IMO and in some states that happens more then others.

TX & GA are the same as FL. So I think there are states that are more "football centric" but being from one state or another doesnt make you better IMO.

You have made an excellent observation for NCAA Division 1 athletes from states that play football basically year round. FL, TX are football fanatics and it shows. The extra time developing a player's skills year round make it a huge benefit.

I would love to see Delaware have a spring football season, maybe 5 - 7 games, that would be awesome.

Well at least you can wish??!!

Why would we want to have spring football in Delaware? Who exactly would benefit from it? Just the D-1 teams and some select D-2 squads. What would be the point? I love football, I just don't need to watch high school kids play it year round. Let their bodies and minds develop in many areas, not just football. Playing other sports and doing other things.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
I don't think the spring practice is that much an advantage on the field.. They practice for a week and then don't start up again until late summer. . Where it is a huge advantage is in college recruiting.. They have spring practice at a time when the college coaches are free to visit the schools and watch them... Just about every college coach in the country is in visit mode at that time...

Agreed, I think it is much better for a kid to target the type of school he would fit with, then attend the appropriate camps.

I don't think the spring practice is that much an advantage on the field.. They practice for a week and then don't start up again until late summer. . Where it is a huge advantage is in college recruiting.. They have spring practice at a time when the college coaches are free to visit the schools and watch them... Just about every college coach in the country is in visit mode at that time...

The college coaches I know have no problems watching their recruits perform and excel in other sports. They want talent, work ethic, leadership and kids who know how to win.

Agreed, I think it is much better for a kid to target the type of school he would fit with, then attend the appropriate camps.

The college coaches I know have no problems watching their recruits perform and excel in other sports. They want talent, work ethic, leadership and kids who know how to win.

sure they do... they want measurable athletes that they assume they can coach up to be good football players... case in point being a D1 offered kid who was second string on Blue Gold , won't name the kid but he wasn't close to good enough to start and every player in his position was better,,

Last edited:
While it's great a kid got an offer off of B/G, I don't believe that it justifies the costs and risks of spring football for an entire state. Again, if he had targeted the correct camps and tryouts he would have been noticed just as easily.

While it's great a kid got an offer off of B/G, I don't believe that it justifies the costs and risks of spring football for an entire state. Again, if he had targeted the correct camps and tryouts he would have been noticed just as easily.

Ikey not sure what your reading but both your responses to my posts are bit off the mark from what I said.. as for the college camps they are cash grabs for most part at least at the D1 level..Unless your already a target coming in your pretty much paying to run rec drills with 300 other kids..very rarely does a kid just show up at camp and get noticed they pretty much only pay attention to the kids already on their target board.

But the same thing would hold true f DE had spring practice.. Unlike the top teams in FLA or Tex where coaches will flock to spring practices looking for players, if DE or MD or most North East states had spring practices the coaches would only come to look at a player they have targeted.. if that makes sense? basically it wouldn't really change anything IMO

I think the whole playing a National type team to get your kids noticed is kind of a fallacy.. Sure there may be college scouts at those games but they are filming and watching kids they already have targeted.. Its a extremely rare occasion where a member of the opposing team of such a player gets noticed and offered. JMHO

Last edited:
sure they do... they want measurable athletes that they assume they can coach up to be good football players... case in point being a D1 offered kid who was second string on Blue Gold , won't name the kid but he wasn't close to good enough to start and every player in his position was better,,
Just checking to see if RR's assault on the English language continues

Reactions: ravensrooster2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT