ADVERTISEMENT

DIAA Football Committee Meeting

They weren’t just picking trams today. They were also writing & rewriting policies dealing with Covid, forfeits, etc

i got 13 bonus points for Smyrna vs 6 for MT. How many do you have?
Not home at the moment to check, but before I left with bonus points Middletown had 36 total divided by 8 games…4.5 index. Smyrna had 45 total with 10 games played, that’s 4.5 index.

Last edited:
Hammer, In the past, this was true. This year however, they did not ask the host schools...just made their decisions. And what coach would ask to play on a Saturday knowing that they would have to play again the following Friday? With all the other games being played Saturday?

They got Middletown and Smyrna wrong too. They both ended with 4.5 index. Middletown holds tiebreaker

I believe we had this issue the first year Maryland went to a 9 game schedule and they decided to count Maryland's first round playoff games into their first 10 games for bonus points. In the case of Arundel it is two playoff games counted being the Middletown game was cancelled or it would have only been one playoff game that counts.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSftballlaxFan
Still struggle how can you debate something when it is decided by math, and now that if you play out of state it there is no class bonus

Because this is in the tournament manual and probably shouldn't be. It opens the door for debate when there shouldn't be any.

Item 5.

Tournament Seeding

A. The football committee recognizes the newness of the realignment of the football classes. The committee supports DIAA’s decision to realign football this year as an opportunity for DIAA student-athletes to compete in more competitive games. The committee reserves the right to meet and revise the seeding procedure if conditions in Delaware make seeding the tournament(s) unfair and not representative of the best teams in each class. Approval for any of these changes would need DIAA board approval.

Reactions: Longagoplayer
Because this is in the tournament manual and probably shouldn't be. It opens the door for debate when there shouldn't be any.

Item 5.

Tournament Seeding

A. The football committee recognizes the newness of the realignment of the football classes. The committee supports DIAA’s decision to realign football this year as an opportunity for DIAA student-athletes to compete in more competitive games. The committee reserves the right to meet and revise the seeding procedure if conditions in Delaware make seeding the tournament(s) unfair and not representative of the best teams in each class. Approval for any of these changes would need DIAA board approval.
Good looking BiB, pretty funny they are basically this is how it will be, but we reserve the right to do whatever we want anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: BackinBlack86
BiB….it was under my knowledge that other states playoffs games don’t count to bonus points. It’s a teams first 10 games that count, however just the regular season games count…I didn’t know they changed that rule if they did.

BiB….it was under my knowledge that other states playoffs games don’t count to bonus points. It’s a teams first 10 games that count, however just the regular season games count…I didn’t know they changed that rule if they did.
This is how the rules read in the manual but it's not directly related to the bonus points section. I am pretty sure they counted the Maryland first round games in 2019 when they went to a 9 game format.

4. For the DIAA state football tournament, the regular season is defined as a school’s first ten (10) regular season varsity football games and they must be completed by Saturday, November 13, 2021. Competition against in-state and out-ofstate school teams must be completed by Saturday, November 13, 2021

but this is under the "Eligible Teams" section for playoffs not tournament seedings and bonus points so I guess it's left to interpretation. As for bonus points it just states out of state teams winning percentage with really no qualifiers as to what games count.

I do see where one could really make the argument Arundel's playoff games shouldn't count though but then none of Maryland's teams playoff games would count which could be a deterrent to play Maryland teams being they only play 9 reg season games that is one less game to get bonus points from them.

I would agree to having their 1st round playoff games count being virtually every team makes the playoffs so that is in effect their 10th scheduled game but maybe not second round games

Last edited:
Okay. Yeah so the wording is what I was confused by then. The “teams first 10 games” count as regular season

so I’ve been counting it wrong then since 2019.

Well at least I know now for future times.

My reading of Item 5 is that they reserve the right to change the seeding in future years with the DIAA Board approval. I don’t think they are being slick. This is the first year of the new alignment with 3 division tournaments. Some problems didn‘t go away like schools not being able to finish their schedules. Overall, I think things went fairly well. I am pumped up about that 2A tournament.

My reading of Item 5 is that they reserve the right to change the seeding in future years with the DIAA Board approval. I don’t think they are being slick. This is the first year of the new alignment with 3 division tournaments. Some problems didn‘t go away like schools not being able to finish their schedules. Overall, I think things went fairly well. I am pumped up about that 2A tournament.
There was definitely more games of interest coming down the stretch involving teams that otherwise no one would care about or pay attention to. (friends and family of the players excluded)

Don't want to hear anymore whining from the 2A District 3 crowd about their district being so tough

Delcastle 52 RLCA 28

Delcastle only beat 2 teams in their district (2AD1) Conrad and McKean and lost biggly to everyone else on their schedule except Red Lion..lol

FYI, I asked for copies of the worksheets from DIAA. They’ve provided me with them each year, unti now. I was told they will no longer release them. Hmmmm.

61yUQuI3JzL.jpg

Reactions: Huskerman7
This guy was spotted leaving the meeting under guard. My guess..this guy has them and I bet the classification formula is in there as well

tcs2e01_briefcase.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskerman7
FYI, I asked for copies of the worksheets from DIAA. They’ve provided me with them each year, unti now. I was told they will no longer release them. Hmmmm.
See if that doesn’t sound suspect idk what does anymore.

Sad thing is that there’s too many people who run things, and some media outlets as well get their D*** hard for certain teams in this state above and below the canal, and it shows every year. It will never be a perfect system until the ones who make the decisions aren’t affiliated with schools anymore

DIAA is a public agency their meeting minutes have to be made available to the public (I believe within 30 days of the meeting) DIAA is notorious for dragging their feet in posting but if you raise the issue with the Dept of Education (DIAA's boss) they will get them posted. Alison.may@doe.k12.de.us

DIAA is a public agency their meeting minutes have to be made available to the public (I believe within 30 days of the meeting) DIAA is notorious for dragging their feet in posting but if you raise the issue with the Dept of Education (DIAA's boss) they will get them posted. Alison.may@doe.k12.de.us

Have you read those meeting minutes, they are about as vague as they can be. lol I haven't seen meeting minutes for the football committee meetings though (do they have them?) I don't believe they do and if they do then it certainly wouldn't include the worksheets for how the points were arrived at. Which is what @Huskerman7 was asking to see.

Last edited:

Item 5.

Tournament Seeding

That’s a travesty that’s in the manual

Don't want to hear anymore whining from the 2A District 3 crowd about their district being so tough

Delcastle 52 RLCA 28

Delcastle only beat 2 teams in their district (2AD1) Conrad and McKean and lost biggly to everyone else on their schedule except Red Lion..lol
Definitely the best not even close - Woodbridge, Carvel, Delmar, Sussext Tech. That’s 3 of the top 6.

You took a weak team this year in RLCA and used that as an example. Hell Caravel abs DMA rolled one of the districts playoff teams. Embarrassed them.

Have you read those meeting minutes, they are about as vague as they can be. lol I haven't seen meeting minutes for the football committee meetings though (do they have them?) I don't believe they do and if they do then it certainly wouldn't include the worksheets for how the points were arrived at. Which is what @Huskerman7 was asking to see. The playoff seeding meeting used to be done by DIFCA I believe and they were never public about anything. Does DIFCA still exist?
Just an FYI. The committee has provided me with the worksheets every year since 2015. Now, they’re refusing.

Just an FYI. The committee has provided me with the worksheets every year since 2015. Now, they’re refusing.
why? that makes no sense.. unless they have something to hide like they didn't follow the math or something.. Is there a discrepancy with the seedings or are they counting games they shouldn't have?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT