ADVERTISEMENT

FNL Scores

@RR
DiNardo will have plenty of time to deer hunt and make his wine this off season!
let’s just hope he’s a better deer hunter than football coach, probably end up shooting a horse or a squirrel...

Dinardo’s quote in the news journal “that kind of caught us off guard”, the most prolific runner in many years caught you off guard on kick returns...........so he blamed the kids and their tackling, down right laughable

Those two kickoff and punt TD returns were the first TD returns in Knights career.. He doesn't usually return kicks but as soon as you saw him back there you call time out and instruct not to kick it to him IMO

Knight does it all.. Imagine if they let him play defense lol

Those two kickoff and punt TD returns were the first TD returns in Knights career.. He doesn't usually return kicks but as soon as you saw him back there you call time out and instruct not to kick it to him IMO
Yes, that was my point, should have been screaming at his team, heck just bang it out of bounds, even on the KO, take the penalty

Reactions: ravensrooster2
Yes, that was my point, should have been screaming at his team, heck just bang it out of bounds, even on the KO, take the penalty

Its really a shame sans the late 80 yd TD run Sals pretty much shut Knight down defensively..

Everyone hates on BDN but when the old school offense works, Sal's control the clock and always win. His old school offense worked when I played and it won the Sal's back to back ships 05 and 06. You need TOUGH, HARD NOSED, DISCIPLINED kids with a good RB and Oline for it to work. I believe the Sals lack that this year and he does need to make some slight changes with the offensive schemes. In BDN first year, 2004, we threw the ball 15 to 25 times a game when we had Delledonne at QB with Szerzba and Sabol catching the ball; so he did stray away from his old school offense then but I think it takes A LOT like a D1 QB and/or a D1 WR for him to do so like he did in 04.

Now that my son has graduated and moved on, I don't quite hate on Sals as much as I used to! Lol. I HAVE come to realize that DE HS football is better when Sals is competitive, and I have respect for BDN's body of work. I even traveled north to see them play several times in the mid 2000's.
Although they don't have the D1 specialty players now, I can't buy into the lack of athletes theory...especially within DE...especially from an all boys school in DE. The numbers they have coming out for sports are 2-3x that of other D1 schools.

Sals does need a little more diversity though.. Maybe a younger more modern coach can attract that. Like the Lax coach that dude is getting serious Lax players. just an idea..If I'm Sals AD I go after Coach Marks hard and offer a great package for him to come..

Sals does need a little more diversity though.. Maybe a younger more modern coach can attract that. Like the Lax coach that dude is getting serious Lax players. just an idea..If I'm Sals AD I go after Coach Marks hard and offer a great package for him to come..
Air Sallies? Oh, Lord help us.

@DENative I was speaking more so on the hard nosed toughness aspect. Those teams in the mid 2000s had that blue collar toughness that Salesianum seems to lack now. You think the tuition going from $6600 (2004 tuition) to $14,000 (2017 tuition) has anything to do with it? Because I do. Those hard nosed blue collar families could afford the $6600 tuition back then by making some family sacrafices. Now, those blue collar families can't afford this new very high tuition. My father told me if I was in high school nowadays, I would have went to Hodgson because there is no shot in hell he'd be able to afford Sallies tuition now (especially families that have 2 or more son's).

But yeah I was speaking upon the blue collar attitude and toughness more so than talent. Although I do believe they are weaker at the RB position than they have been in recent years.

@DENative I was speaking more so on the hard nosed toughness aspect. Those teams in the mid 2000s had that blue collar toughness that Salesianum seems to lack now. You think the tuition going from $6600 (2004 tuition) to $14,000 (2017 tuition) has anything to do with it? Because I do. Those hard nosed blue collar families could afford the $6600 tuition back then by making some family sacrafices. Now, those blue collar families can't afford this new very high tuition. My father told me if I was in high school nowadays, I would have went to Hodgson because there is no shot in hell he'd be able to afford Sallies tuition now (especially families that have 2 or more son's).

But yeah I was speaking upon the blue collar attitude and toughness more so than talent. Although I do believe they are weaker at the RB position than they have been in recent years.

Sals does give out financial aide though

Salesianum's tuition for the 2017-2018 school year is $15,400.00

This year, Salesianum provided over $1 million in financial aid to families of attending students

http://salesianum.org/admissions/tuition-financial-aid/

One would think there are some AA families who would qualify for such aide.. just a thought.. Sals must be giving the mil to Lax and Soccer players lol

I’m not buying BDN explanation in the NJ. Caught off guard?? As soon as it was noticed that knight was returning kicks the ball should’ve been kicked away from him. A player of Knights caliber should always be accounted for. Don’t tell me that none of the Sallies coaches didn’t see him lining up as a return man. You should know where he is all the time. Lame excuse .

"Although I do believe they are weaker at the RB position than they have been in recent years."

I've commented on this before. BDN uses a paint by the numbers, straight ahead offense. The past few years he has had pile driving running backs with great success. This year's team has none. Salvo is a gutsy kid, but 165 pounds running between the tackles on two of every down series ain't getting it done.

Reactions: Chesdel
@dovetail I agree with the lower caliber but I only weighed 160lbs as the starting RB for the Sal's and had success. Being on the smaller size for football, I never used size as an excuse. And I was an in between the tackles runner who got the ball 25 to 30 times a game. Not hear to toot my own horn but rather just speak upon the size issue and proving that I believe it is more lack of toughness then anything else.

@ravensrooster2 Yes I saw that as well which speaks to the school itself and the alumni support. I believe most, if not all, of that financial aid is going to minority families within the city so that Salesianum can give back to the city that they have been a part of for so long.

Just like with financial aid for college, FASFA grants, tax brackets, etc. it is those blue collar middle class families that get the least help and "screwed" if you will. So, I don't think that scholarship/grant money is going to those types of families.

Or, you could be right, maybe that support is being funnelled to LAX and Soccer program lol.

@ravensrooster2 Yes I saw that as well which speaks to the school itself and the alumni support. I believe most, if not all, of that financial aid is going to minority families within the city so that Salesianum can give back to the city that they have been a part of for so long.

Just like with financial aid for college, FASFA grants, tax brackets, etc. it is those blue collar middle class families that get the least help and "screwed" if you will. So, I don't think that scholarship/grant money is going to those types of families.

Or, you could be right, maybe that support is being funnelled to LAX and Soccer program lol.

yeah right.. how many AA kids from Wilmington City does Sals have.. 2 maybe? Way to give back to the city lol

Sals Race Number %
Asian 18 1.7 %
Hispanic 7 0.7 %
Black 21 2.0 %
White 957 92.6 %

21+7 = 28 x15400 431k where is the other 600k going? (assuming the 28 gets full bennys)

Last edited:
Reactions: 84rider
IMO, it's a strange dynamic for a school like Sals in our small state. And AllHeart, tuition never crossed my mind...good point. I'm a public school guy but then again, I also benefit from being below the canal. Sals gets bashed b/c they "recruit" when I don't see a problem w/that...it's a private school..."recruit" away. Just go play competition who reap the same benefits. For that reason, they get very little sympathy in DE if they're having a down year or two. I have plenty of co-workers who are from PA and NJ who have no respect for Sals beating on and racking up state titles against inferior public schools in our small state.
And RR, since you went there, I do agree that a coaching change may be the spark they need...but you know Coach Marks wouldn't head 95N! Lol.

Reactions: AllHeart28
IMO, it's a strange dynamic for a school like Sals in our small state. And AllHeart, tuition never crossed my mind...good point. I'm a public school guy but then again, I also benefit from being below the canal. Sals gets bashed b/c they "recruit" when I don't see a problem w/that...it's a private school..."recruit" away. Just go play competition who reap the same benefits. For that reason, they get very little sympathy in DE if they're having a down year or two. I have plenty of co-workers who are from PA and NJ who have no respect for Sals beating on and racking up state titles against inferior public schools in our small state.
And RR, since you went there, I do agree that a coaching change may be the spark they need...but you know Coach Marks wouldn't head 95N! Lol.

Went there? where did I go?

Last edited:
@dovetail I agree with the lower caliber but I only weighed 160lbs as the starting RB for the Sal's and had success. Being on the smaller size for football, I never used size as an excuse. And I was an in between the tackles runner who got the ball 25 to 30 times a game. Not hear to toot my own horn but rather just speak upon the size issue and proving that I believe it is more lack of toughness then anything else.

You’re just dying for someone to guess who you are. You weren’t good enough for anyone to know even if you said your name. Stop dropping hints, no one cares

You’re just dying for someone to guess who you are. You weren’t good enough for anyone to know even if you said your name. Stop dropping hints, no one cares

Shut up Pickles.. Everyone knows who he is.. He is Knuckles Brutkowski (aka Rudy) He was a 160 lb fullback for Sals in the 70's know your history man before you flap your gums.. KB is a legend in DE show some respect

Reactions: AllHeart28

AllHeart...you were a man of steel....and you are one of my all time favorites.

By the way, my father was upset in 1965 when tuition went from $160 a year to $200 a year.

The Big S probably doesn't have too many blue collar parents anymore. In my class ('67) a lot of guys went into the building trades and law enforcement.

I advised you before to have some sons we need reinforcements.

ALL Heart

supermanreeve_02.jpg

Lol @PickleEveryEndNow I've posted on depreps many of times and have signed my name on the bottom of my posts multiple times.

Sports were a very small part of my life and if you believe high school sports define an individual then you are sadly wrong. If you want, we can meet and have a conversation about it ;).

Nick Dominelli Class of 06

@ravensrooster2 Salesianum has always given academic scholarships to those that score in the 95th percentile on their entrance exam test as well. Part of that million of financial aid is from that as well.

You seem to be a numbers guy...

5% of 1000 students means there are 50 students who have earned a full or partial academic scholarship. Even if it's a partial given to those, let's say $5000, that's almost $750k

Wait . RR you went to Sallies? Thought you were a MD guy?

Sallies doesn’t recruit . They don’t have too.

Pickles you want no parts of Nicky Dom!

@Chesdel I appreciate it. Definitely fun days lived in the past. And I just had a baby girl...no.boys as of yet...hopefully soon.

But the point I was making is I always see people get on the Sal's when they aren't playing that well. And from the games I have seen and speaking with some people on the inside, it seems that toughness edge the Sal's used to have went out the window.

Sallies does reload with talent every year as they should with 1000 boys, but year after year I see that certain x factor dwindle. And I am the type of person that always asks the question why. And the only two things I have come up with is how the "new" generation is and also how Salesianum tuition is unaffordable now for those tough blue collar families so the students that would have went there are now going elsewhere. I believe that is what used to seperate Salesianum from the other privates such as Archmere, Tatnall, and Tower Hill. I don't mean it in a negative light but I just believe Sallies was built on that blue collar mentality while the other privates weren't and somewhere along the way Salesianum has slowly lost that serperation factor.

@ravensrooster2 Salesianum has always given academic scholarships to those that score in the 95th percentile on their entrance exam test as well. Part of that million of financial aid is from that as well.

You seem to be a numbers guy...

5% of 1000 students means there are 50 students who have earned a full or partial academic scholarship. Even if it's a partial given to those, let's say $5000, that's almost $750k

Umm No the Academic scholarships are totally separate from the Mil plus financial aide numbers two totally different numbers Try again

Academic Scholarships
Over $500,000 was awarded for academic scholarships this school year. Academic scholarships are awarded to eighth grade students based on their performance on the entrance exam. Applicants who have the highest national percentile composite score at the December testing are eligible for a scholarship. These awards are renewable each year. Each student awarded an academic scholarship must maintain a quarterly GPA of at least 3.00 and not be placed on disciplinary probation for any reason.

Financial Aid
Financial Aid is based solely on demonstrated need. Any family who feels unable to afford the full cost of tuition is encouraged to apply for financial aid. Typically, 80% of the students who apply for financial aid receive it. Over $1 million was granted in financial aid for this school year.

Gotcha. So they seperated the academic 8th grade scholarships I was speaking upon. I figured it was around 500k. Now, does it say that the financial aid is grant money or is it low interest loans? Or both?Financial aid can mean either. I wish they had more detail.

I think it would be similar to FASFA. Because it states that 80% of students who apply get it. That's telling me that it is both loans and Grant money based upon the situation of the student and thier family. Could be wrong as I was on the prior post but if 80 percent that apply are being granted the financial aid it would lead me to believe that some is grant money that does not have to be paid back and the other is low interest loans and payment plans.

Gotcha. So they separated the academic 8th grade scholarships I was speaking upon. I figured it was around 500k. Now, does it say that the financial aid is grant money or is it low interest loans? Or both?Financial aid can mean either. I wish they had more detail.

Financial aide eligibility is determined by an outside source School and Student Services (SSS) they make applicants send in pay stubs, bills etc.They determine what percentage of the tuition they can afford..,That determines the amount of aide But certain schools only have so much available so it gets split up regardless what percentage the child qualifies for through the vetting service.

.Financial aide money comes from Alumni donors or Endowments. Obviously Sals is healthy in that regard.. St Marks not so much..

St Andrews tuition is $58.710 but 47% of students receive grants and ave grant is $44,016 .. Total financial aide granted by St Andrews is 6.4 million

Gilman school in Baltimore is 30k Financial Aid Budget 2017-2018: $4.6 million in grants

I think it would be similar to FASFA. Because it states that 80% of students who apply get it. That's telling me that it is both loans and Grant money based upon the situation of the student and thier family. Could be wrong as I was on the prior post but if 80 percent that apply are being granted the financial aid it would lead me to believe that some is grant money that does not have to be paid back and the other is low interest loans and payment plans.

Its not similar to FAFSA that is college and a Govt program that the Govt covers..SSA just determines if the family qualifies for aid and what they think they can afford... The private HS gives what they can or has available.. You can qualify for the 50 % but only get 20 if that what the school has available,, Govt has no part in any of it

The Govt gives you free public school education.. and aide for College.. not private HS

Nick....I have met you and know your dad. You are correct about a blue collar tough edge that is diminishing.
I am fine with BDN. He reignited the program when he came on board in '04. He suffers from a comparison with his initial success. The Big S won 4 titles in his first 10 years (05,06,09,13) and only missed making the tournament in 08). In the first 4 years of his second decade the Big S has been eclipsed by Middletown and Smyrna with Penn having that one phenomenal year. What keeps the Sals fans going is that the FB program under BDN remains relevant. It may be fading but it has been worth the periodic frustrations. Good luck.

says one old timer to the next.... keep it going old school ride it until the end lol

This reminds me of the movie the Great White Hype lol Sals old timers just hanging on hoping and praying those Polish, Irish and Italian blue collar sons of steel mill workers and longshoreman can just do it one more time ...for old time sake ir for nothing else lol

Just win one more for the Slowski's.. oops er I mean Gipper

Last edited:
I am fine with Billy too. I have known him my whole life and wrestled with his son and went to grade school with his daughter. BDN utilizes the old school, smash mouth Archmere offense from the 60s and 70s and it translated well his first 8 years with the program. Now that the population of the SALS is changing , that old school offense may need to be critiqued. And you are right, he started off very high after his first year going 9 and 1 and becoming the number one seed and losing in the semis, to then winning back to back titles.

I am a teacher and a lot of my students think that the Sal's was always good and top 3 in football and other sports because of his success. Yet, a lot of them don't know that Sallies went on a big drought of only making the playoffs twice in 15 years in the 90s and early 00s and that they only won 3 titles before 2005. When you have early success, success is then expected on a regular basis. The man gets crap when the team is still a top 5 team in the state. If that happened in the 90s, it would have been looked at as a successful year.

On a side note, as a stated in earlier post, BDN first year he threw the ball 15 to 25 times a game with Delledonne and we had the same core offense he runs now, but with some added formation and schemes. So, the man knows how to do it, he just hasn't. Maybe he will start to soon and go back to the 2004 playbook.

coming soon

FRIDAY'S GAMES
Perkiomen (Pa.) 29
, St. Andrew's 7, F
Brandywine at A.I. du Pont, 7
Sussex Central at Caesar Rodney, 7
Dover at Cape Henlopen, 7
Glasgow at Caravel, 7
Laurel at Lake Forest, 7
Wilmington Friends at Morrisville (Pa.), 7
Delaware Military at Newark, 7
Sussex Tech at Polytech, 7
Seaford at Red Lion Christian, 7
Tower Hill 2, Dickinson 0, F
Indian River at Woodbridge, 7
Milford at Delmar, 7:30
Smyrna at Salesianum, 7:30
wow very impressive win by Tower Hill! How much longer are we going to ignore that hard fought victory that transpired friday night? Not many teams can go into the trenches like that and fight for a 2-0 win. Very impressed!

Ikey stop responding to posters who signed up this moth,, stop being troll bait.I speak from experience lol and you didnt even execute the response correctly .. put it down and go night night,,,

"On a side note, as a stated in earlier post, BDN first year he threw the ball 15 to 25 times a game with Delledonne and we had the same core offense he runs now, but with some added formation and schemes. So, the man knows how to do it, he just hasn't. Maybe he will start to soon and go back to the 2004 playbook."

I think you know that when Gene DD enrolled there he was a developed QB. his father had him trained from an early age for that position. BDN inherited him and his ability so to speak. They haven't had a QB with his passing skills there since. There have been many afterward who had the same skill set, height , weight, athleticism, etc, but never got further than 5-8 passes a game and handing off. Sadly, Zach Gwynn will also graduate as one with a lot of potential that was never developed. Don't get we wrong on BDN. I appreciate what he has done after eleven years in the wilderness under the previous coach.

@dove.
come on man, if Ernie said throw the ball, BDN threw the ball!!
he was more controlling than Sillz!
and a lot richer!!
see what I did there?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT