ADVERTISEMENT

Football Question re Coastal Carolina's Offense

Uncle Bumfuzzled

D1AA Prospect
Sep 11, 2012
My technical knowledge of Football rates with my knowledge of nuclear physics.

I watched the BYU- Coastal Carolina game with some degree of attentiveness. Could somebody describe Coastal's Offense to me? What are its features? Benefits? Drawbacks?

Bummy needs an education......

The use of the word Liberty is rather cryptic as Coastal was supposed to be playing Liberty. Liberty then Covid cancelled and BYU came to town. This resulted in a compelling football game.

Bummy is not a football guru like some of you folks. Help the old guy out so I can impress my friends. Coastal runs a lot...is it the traditional spread, a hybrid or what?

...could have used some magic turf at the Rock in its inaugural season...

• Haha
Reactions: BackinBlack86
@Uncle Bumfuzzled I learned that Mormons like to fight a lot

Bum its old and new.. Basically a winged t or double wing and even wishbone plays but out of a spread (shot gun) formation. Then they will throw in some read option plays. It's how they can be so productive running the ball with undersized but quicker linemen. Two/three backs and some older blocking schemes with pulls and traps. Not a lot of zone blocking but sometimes they do depending on the situation.. Interesting to watch

I guess to sum it up it's a mixed bag of everything lol

This play shows a lot of what they like to do upfront..

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc0a12143-6923-4010-b24d-092a1e99b6e6_460x259.gif

Here is another fun one with a little old school counter option type look

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F18c8589e-9f5f-49f9-a02b-d7c5c8a1fc6b_444x250.gif

Here is a wishbone/power I type play but eliminating the QB to FB exchange.. Helps when your QB can double as a FB

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F5e215a80-2ab3-464f-bc45-fb1213de83fb_444x250.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Joe Moglia might have had a lot to do with that

Their personnel and the changes to the program to make it more attractive. New field, locker room etc... Moglia was more of a CEO type HC
This offense was brought in by Chandler who brought it and his entire staff from Charleston Southern with him when Moglia brought him in as the OC then he later became HC when Moglia retired. That was pretty much the deal for Chandler to leave his HC gig and come to CC as OC..

So yeah Moglia has a lot to do with CC's success this year from a management standpoint and moves he made.

Moglia would make a great GM in the NFL.. Eagles are you listening? lol

Last edited:
Basically is a running oriented option game out of the spread. BIB did a good job explaining it but very effective and with the addition of some RPO out of it REALLY hard to stop.

Only thing that can really stop it is SPEED. In the 70's & 80's the classic I and wishbone option teams were power oriented and Miami, FSU, etc attacked it with SPEED and killed it. Hence the rise of those two programs - take OLB make them DE, take SS and make them OLB, etc and have big nasty DT's. That way you stop the inside run and have the speed to cover the option.

The spread passing game was introduced and changed the game 15 years ago and now some innovative coaches figured out that combining the spread and option oriented running games is a nightmare for Defense. Auburn is another great exmaple of this.

A few key things -
1) the spread aspect causes the D to spread out allowing for the dives to be very successful
2) once the dives are successful the D sucks back in the middle the outside run stats clicking
3) Once the D sells out to stop the option the RPO opens up

Damn nightmare to stop and requires POSITION AND ASSIGNMENT defense which isn't as easy to do as it sounds.

Its basically a option heavy version of the Veer & Shoot

Correct BiB, it’s almost a winged t offense with triple options. A lot of dives and traps using a zone blocking scheme where the second back is more of a blocker than misdirection. It’s primarily designed for smaller o lines with great team speed.

Thanks, all. That gives me a basis for understanding as FB offenses change and evolve. Evolve is the word. I don’t think Lombardi’s Packers ever even put a man in motion.

The position and roles of players on offense has intrigued me for a while. I can remember watching the ‘73 Knicks. Coach Red Holtzman‘s guards (Clyde Frazier & Earl Monroe) would drive to the hoop and score and his big guys (Willis Reed, Dave DeBusschere, Jerry Lucas) would score from the outside. Small forward Bill Bradley did everything. I remember thinking Red Holtzman was on some kind of hallucinogenic and wasn’t playing real basketball. (Bench rider Phil Jackson must have learned some things.)

Of course, having 6 HOF players made Red Holtzman an even better coach.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT