ADVERTISEMENT

Friday scores week 8

It seems like if more than half of the teams have a chance to make playoffs it cheapens the playoffs. I would think to make sure the best teams make it in

That is the trend nowadays. Almost every state at least half the teams get in if not more. Just most the bigger states start off as regional or district playoffs then onto the state games. Some states don't even play to a state champion just regional (ie. Jersey, California)

There is enough disparity that we really could go to 4 classes (46)

4A- 12 (6+6)

3A- 12 (6+6)

2A- 12 (6+6)

1A- 10 (5+5)

Top 4 each district get into district playoffs 1v4 and 2 v3

Winners of the 2 districts game goes to States seeded 1 though 4 by points (reg season pts)

an option would be having just 8 teams in 4A and 14 in 3A and 2A

4A- 8 (4+4) or just one district

3A- 14 (7+7)

2A- 14 (7+7)

1A- 10 (5+5)

or

4A- 10 (5+5)

3A- 12 (6+6)

2A- 12 (6+6)

1A- 12 (6+6)

Last edited:
When MD expanded their playoffs in 2019 they reduced the season to 9 weeks to allow for the extra week of playoffs. The thought at the time was that the schools did not make the playoffs could schedule a week 10 game among themselves. That part didn’t happen

this is year (supposed to be only this season). All teams are in the playoff to take out the COVID influence on games cancelled. They expanded form 4 to 6 divisions for this year only.

When MD expanded their playoffs in 2019 they reduced the season to 9 weeks to allow for the extra week of playoffs. The thought at the time was that the schools did not make the playoffs could schedule a week 10 game among themselves. That part didn’t happen

this is year (supposed to be only this season). All teams are in the playoff to take out the COVID influence on games cancelled. They expanded form 4 to 6 divisions for this year only.
right.. under the 2019 change 128 of 167 teams make the playoffs (77%) but they also play regionals down to 2 and the 8 from the 4 regions make up the state quarters seeded by points (reg season)

As an example, Indian River, Seaford, and Odessa have punched playoff tickets.
The 3 teams are a combined 11-9
Of those 9 losses, only 1 has been by fewer than 28 points.
So what’s your solution then? I think the divisions have benefited almost everyone. Haven’t seen one downside.

No solution needed. Just pointing out the realities of realignment. There’s a lot to like. First round playoff games may not be one of them. right.

You're right. The first round might not be competitive as usual letting more teams in. However, I think the good far outweighs the bad in the new realignment.

Reactions: Titanium Shadow
No solution needed. Just pointing out the realities of realignment. There’s a lot to like. First round playoff games may not be one of them.
I did wonder if the more teams would water down the playoffs but after the podcast this weekend I definitely liked what you guys had to say. Giving teams something to look forward to and having the school behind them will hopefully help increase participation over the next few years. And who knows if one of the lower level teams pull an upset it could really help boost the school for the following year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT