ADVERTISEMENT

High School Football moving to Spring?

Let me reiterate. If there would be major outbreaks of the virus over the next 6 weeks the move to Spring could be considered.

It would be a state by state decision to do this.

What if the PIAA decides to do this and DE doesn’t? Would kids coming from Malvern Prep, Episcopal or Chestnut Hill be allowed to transfer to Friends or Salesianum and play this coming season?

Just stirring up crap to see if anyone is paying attention.

https://www.wdel.com/news/delaware-...gn=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Not looking good for football starting on time..they can do work outs and 7v7 will be allowed after June 15th with certain rules in place and the competitions will need to send in for approval of their plan by the gov first.. I don't see NCC sports being able to organize and get that done but you never know... Many states are looking at pushing back the start of football a few weeks with no out of state games and some with conference games only... DIAA was waiting for the conference today to make a ruling on what sports can start and what they can do.. It's spelled out here (well sort of) no contact sports during phase II

IMO week zero games vs OOS will more than likely get scrapped at the least..

More low-impact sports guidance was issued Friday by Dr. Karyl Rattay, Director of the Division of Public Health. While "a lot more thought," is needed for big group, close-contact sports programs like indoor basketball, hockey, ice hockey, football, wrestling, or rugby, other, safer sports will begin with the start of Phase II of Delaware's rolling reopening on June 15.

"We just haven't figured it out yet," Rattay said. "We'll be working with others to put attention to these sports in the not-too-distant future, but at this point, individuals in these high-risk sports can certainly do conditioning, they can do practices, but they need to maintain social distancing at all times."

Sports permitted to begin again will require social distancing and face masks, but specific requirements for team sports include no sharing equipment or hand-shaking at the end of a game or hanging out with other players to avoid cross-contamination across geographic regions. That includes staggering arrival times for different teams.

Sports-specific recommendations included:

• Baseball/Softball: Moving batter's box up, or face covering for catcher
  • Soccer: no body checking or headers
  • Lacrosse: coin toss instead of face-off
  • Basketball: outside only
  • Field hockey: Social distancing during penalty corners
  • Volleyball: limiting number of players
  • Flag football: limiting number of players
While competition between two teams will be permitted, tournaments won't be introduced in Phase II,

https://governor.delaware.gov/wp-co...20/06/Delaware-Economic-Reopening-PHASE-2.pdf

The Division of Small Business and the Division of Public Health will develop guidelines in consultation with youth athletic organizations on an individual sport basis on how each sport can resume safely at a non-collegiate, amateur level.

Competitions for individual sports may resume upon submission and approval of a plan by Division of Public Health and Division of Small Business that provides guidelines of how the sports may be played while maintaining social distancing.

Swim lessons and swim team gatherings may resume if they can do so while maintaining social distance, with the exception of life-saving activities, and comply with lap swimming guidance. Shared equipment must be disinfected after each use. Participants should bring their own drinks. Use of shared water fountains is discouraged.

Program coordinator must make hand sanitizer or handwashing stations readily available for all employees and participants. Coaches and staff must wear cloth face coverings in accordance with the State of Emergency Order

Last edited:
However Paddle Ball is approved....

MatureImmaculateAmericanavocet-size_restricted.gif

Except Sean Greene's tweet appears to preclude students from coming back to the school sites. So that rules out 7v7 practices. Not sure Carney's order apply to the private schools. So perhaps Sallies, Red Lion, Caravel and St. Marks can practice. Also I would guess so can Elkton who normally plays 7v7.

I guess there is nothing stopping the kids/coaches to go somewhere else (i.e. county park) to practice. Just another bit of hypocrisy.

I am still holding out hope for football season perhaps 8 or 9 games hopefully all 10.

@SeanGreeneWDEL

Gov. Carney's office tells me via email there has been no chance in guidance regarding school closures. Which would seem to prevent schools from being able to work with athletes on-campus at the very least. #NetDE
https://www.wdel.com/news/delaware-...gn=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Not looking good for football starting on time..they can do work outs and 7v7 will be allowed after June 15th with certain rules in place and the competitions will need to send in for approval of their plan by the gov first.. I don't see NCC sports being able to organize and get that done but you never know... Many states are looking at pushing back the start of football a few weeks with no out of state games and some with conference games only... DIAA was waiting for the conference today to make a ruling on what sports can start and what they can do.. It's spelled out here (well sort of) no contact sports during phase II

IMO week zero games vs OOS will more than likely get scrapped at the least..

More low-impact sports guidance was issued Friday by Dr. Karyl Rattay, Director of the Division of Public Health. While "a lot more thought," is needed for big group, close-contact sports programs like indoor basketball, hockey, ice hockey, football, wrestling, or rugby, other, safer sports will begin with the start of Phase II of Delaware's rolling reopening on June 15.

"We just haven't figured it out yet," Rattay said. "We'll be working with others to put attention to these sports in the not-too-distant future, but at this point, individuals in these high-risk sports can certainly do conditioning, they can do practices, but they need to maintain social distancing at all times."

Sports permitted to begin again will require social distancing and face masks, but specific requirements for team sports include no sharing equipment or hand-shaking at the end of a game or hanging out with other players to avoid cross-contamination across geographic regions. That includes staggering arrival times for different teams.

Sports-specific recommendations included:

• Baseball/Softball: Moving batter's box up, or face covering for catcher
  • Soccer: no body checking or headers
  • Lacrosse: coin toss instead of face-off
  • Basketball: outside only
  • Field hockey: Social distancing during penalty corners
  • Volleyball: limiting number of players
  • Flag football: limiting number of players
While competition between two teams will be permitted, tournaments won't be introduced in Phase II,

https://governor.delaware.gov/wp-co...20/06/Delaware-Economic-Reopening-PHASE-2.pdf

The Division of Small Business and the Division of Public Health will develop guidelines in consultation with youth athletic organizations on an individual sport basis on how each sport can resume safely at a non-collegiate, amateur level.

Competitions for individual sports may resume upon submission and approval of a plan by Division of Public Health and Division of Small Business that provides guidelines of how the sports may be played while maintaining social distancing.

Swim lessons and swim team gatherings may resume if they can do so while maintaining social distance, with the exception of life-saving activities, and comply with lap swimming guidance. Shared equipment must be disinfected after each use. Participants should bring their own drinks. Use of shared water fountains is discouraged.

Program coordinator must make hand sanitizer or handwashing stations readily available for all employees and participants. Coaches and staff must wear cloth face coverings in accordance with the State of Emergency Order

not only that Phase II , sports will still require social distancing.. so yeah you can play basketball outside but social distance.. That would make for an interesting game, basically can't play defense.. I guess Horse will be the game of choice.. 7v7 pretty much you have to leave the guy wide open.. lol

Of course I went by the Boys Club on 40 yesterday and guys were there hoopin it up on their outside court with a game of 3on3 and bangin pretty tough on the boards with no masks... so whatever.. people gonna do what they wanna do or hear what they wanna hear..

Was at Rehoboth last Sunday and the rule was masks required on the boardwalk and only half the people had them on and the police were not really saying or doing anything about it. Which was fine with me. I didn't wear mine and stayed 6 feet from people. Besides the "Cadets" were kind of busy following the young lady with a ..lets say a very flattering thong holding up a BLM sign... you know .. uh hemm looking out for her safety.. I can't say as I blame them, I rather enjoyed the peaceful protest myself.. lol

Uncle Bummy, I see today that the field turf has been laid at the ABB and men are on the job today. Maybe , there will be some football this year.

Hard to imagine a season this year? Was on a conference call last night and Virginia is trying to figure out social distancing on school buses!! As for moving to the spring, can't see that either, after spring sports were shut down this year those coaches are not going to want and give up their players that play football. Another big issue is money, with businesses shut down and so many out of work, state revenues are down...budgets are getting cut across the board...sports are low hanging fruit to the politicians.

Uncle Bummy, I see today that the field turf has been laid at the ABB and men are on the job today. Maybe , there will be some football this year.
Hard to imagine a season this year? Was on a conference call last night and Virginia is trying to figure out social distancing on school buses!! As for moving to the spring, can't see that either, after spring sports were shut down this year those coaches are not going to want and give up their players that play football. Another big issue is money, with businesses shut down and so many out of work, state revenues are down...budgets are getting cut across the board...sports are low hanging fruit to the politicians.

dove, I agree the stadium will be ready on time.

FCA, it looks like everything is a state of suspension. There are a lot of parts but none are moving right now. Just hope that there isn’t a big spike between now and 7/15.

I don’t think politicos will mess with FB..but if schools aren’t opened until like late September ....who knows?

Ghost of the 1978 New Castle County teacher’s strike....

Reactions: 84rider
Thanks, Bucks. There are a lot of moving parts on this: the trend of the virus, individual school district and conference decisions, your out of state teams governing body's and state's regulations, the Delaware Department of Public Health (basically the Exec Branch led by the Governor), the individual school leaders decisions and the parents allowing their kids to play. This kind of gets confusing, heh!!

Last edited:
https://www.delawareonline.com/stor...could-move-spring-due-coronavirus/3241039001/

Informed speculation because it might happen.
Some crazy questions:

Would you play football during Easter Break or would it be an off weekend because schools not in session. (This isn't usually an issue in basketball and the Christmas break.)

The framing shift: late in the season it usually gets cold. Now, late in the season it would get hot.

What excuse would UD use to keep DIAA FB out of their stadium?

Instead of having a Labor Day weekend scrimmage, will Sals and Sussex Central have St. Patrick's Day scrimmage?

Abbesinio gets dedicated in a Fall Soccer game? (how strange)

What if out of state teams do it differently? Now that would put the Big S in a pickle....

but the big issue is lacross/football since both are considered high risk sports. I would imagine a lot of athletes play both.

And if baseball moves to the fall and for some reason school does not happen (or fall sports still get cancelled) that means 2 seasons with no baseball.

I saw on proposal in NJ that had winter sport end in Feb, Fall sports Mar/Apr and spring sports May/June. And no sports in Sept-Nov. All would be shortened season. But at this point I think NJ is just going to leave things intact and let the chips fall where they may.

Sad for the kids unfortunately

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT