ADVERTISEMENT

High School football

May 11, 2013
Would like to hear what summer league coaches
think of High School Football so called volunteer football
practices. I am tired of hearing kids say can't make it to practice
or the game today coaches bc I have football practice in June and July. Or I
cannot play baseball this summer bc my High School coach says I have to make a choice
between football or baseball. I thought these workouts were not mandatory practices. Isn't
there anyone in the state watching these types of behavior. Is this fair to the kids
who love playing 2 sports. It appears to me that these high school coaches don't play the
state rules or they hide behind the words used to make it seem like they aren't involved.
Of course. I believe it's great for the kids to be the best they can be in their sport but there is
also something to be said for being good in 2 sports..

@toetherubber(wtf).......

get your head out of the sand........hahaha

The problem is lack of clarity when it comes to the rules. As well, DIAA lacks the policing power it needs to ensure that explicit rules are not bent or broken. So unscrupulous coaches take full advantage of the dark corners in which they can hide. BTW, this is not a "football" problem. You can find most baseball programs hosting pre season open gyms as well as summer basketball programs where kids can play in front of coaches who are just there to "watch". DIAA is an easy target for blame here. But in reality, school administrators who allow this to go on under their watch are the true culprits.

The fix in my humble opinion is that the Department of Education under which DIAA operates should hold School Administrations, School Boards and Athletic Directors accountable for what happens in their facilties with their Coaches.

I agree with you 100%, but we both know that
nothing will ever get done with it. Yes all sports are to blame
and I have seen especially with schools like Caravel,
who does whatever they want. Wonder why there
always good. I would consider them another Red Lion
Christian Acadmey school.

Private schools are another animal. Technically the Delaware Department of Education has no say in how Private School Administrators and Athletic Directors conduct business, making it impossible for DIAA to pressure leadership into compliance with the rules. Regardless, the rules should be applied consistently and policed effectively so that high school sports teams compete on a level playing field. I don't know how that can be accomplished. But I think dialog among stakeholders will go a long way in finding an effective solution to the disparity that does exist.

DIAA= A JOKE!!!!

THE BOBBY AND TOMMY SHOW EXCELS AT HAVING NO POWER OR DESIRE TO DO ANYTHING !!!!

THEY TRULY ARE HANDS OFF GOVT!!!

DIAA= A JOKE

THEY ARE THE DOWNFALL OF ALL THAT IS GOOD IN DELAWARE H.S. SPORTS

schools realize there are no consequences

call diaa and ask them to investigate a school---i challenge all of you to do that--we all know a school that is "borderline" on the rules

please posy what bobby and tommy tell you

a joke

The purpose of the Delaware Interscholastic Athletic Association is to preserve and promote the educational significance of interscholastic athletics; ensure that interscholastic sports remain compatible with the educational mission of the member schools; provide for fair competition between member schools; promote sportsmanship and ethical behavior; establish and enforce standards of conduct for athletes, coaches, administrators, officials and spectators; protect the physical well-being of athletes; and promote healthy adolescent lifestyles.

Originally posted by Toetherubber21:
Would like to hear what summer league coaches
think of High School Football so called volunteer football
practices. I am tired of hearing kids say can't make it to practice
or the game today coaches bc I have football practice in June and July. Or I
cannot play baseball this summer bc my High School coach says I have to make a choice
between football or baseball. I thought these workouts were not mandatory practices. Isn't
there anyone in the state watching these types of behavior. Is this fair to the kids
who love playing 2 sports. It appears to me that these high school coaches don't play the
state rules or they hide behind the words used to make it seem like they aren't involved.
Of course. I believe it's great for the kids to be the best they can be in their sport but there is
also something to be said for being good in 2 sports..
Toe21
as an avid fan of many sports and those who play the games, I took your question to the football forum to get some input.The responses over there were as expected but I liked this one the most.

"I would compare the voluntary practices to a non-mandatory meeting at work after business hours...It's in your best interest to be there. I also realize this discussion was regarding the effects of baseball (with travel ball specifically mentioned) on high school football, but the effects of travel ball go much further than that. I am not a fan of travel baseball or softball. I have watched it literally rip the hearts out of many communities Little League programs. I live across the street from a LL park and see it sit idle every Saturday. When I was involved as a coach we couldn't even play make up games on Saturdays because of conflicting travel ball schedules. Life is about choices.....some we make and enjoy the results, some we make and suffer the consequences. So pencil me in with the football crowd."

FWIW- I think the same concerns could be applied to not only baseball but other sports as well.What ever happened to seasonal sports for those who play multiple sports? Summer and Fall is for FB (yes summer because fb is unlike most other sports) Winter- BB/Wrestling etc and Spring is for BB etc.

bottom line-summer/travel baseball is an option, Football is a Commitment that requires a heck of a lot more training to prepare for the brutal challenges and schedule. If i am wrong or the BB lovers disagree-thats OK but how many spring FB Travel teams are there?

And I agree w/ Vert Stripes: Travel Baseball is the Devil.

This post was edited on 7/31 1:56 AM by Jawnsky

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT