ADVERTISEMENT

LAX Playoff Field Expanding?

Middletown Man

moving up to Varsity
Jan 29, 2006
Someone told me the playoff field is being expanded above the normal 12 starting in 2012. Is that true? Has anyone else heard about this?

It is true. They tried to expand about two years ago but it got tabled because of state money issues. It got approved this year. It's good for the state since there are more teams now. 1 plays 16 so it's going to be ugly but good for the state to have it.

So there are no more bye's in the first round for the top four teams? That will make for some ugly matchups in the first round! I would have thought they would still give the top four teams bye's then have 5 play 16 etc. Are the rules published anywhere on line? The DIAA site still had last year's rules the place I looked.

The reason there are no byes is because they are keeping the playoffs the same. If they expanded it with byes it would cost the state more. As it is now it will create some ugly games but that's just like ever sport, top seeds should kill teams (basketball, baseball are the same way).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT