ADVERTISEMENT

Polytech to leave Henlopen Conference after 2020-21 school year

Right, we do allow private school players that don't have a football team to play on...Saints are in our conference.

Aren't they like Maryland Freedom or something like that now?.. The old Bel Air Rec Football Commissioner Sean Dowling still runs them think.. He is a nut lol

Last edited:
Aren't they like Maryland Freedom or something like that now?.. The old Bel Air Rec Football Commissioner Sean Dowling still runs them..
Well the Freedom did break off of the Saints from what I know. The Saints have struggled to field a team but they still have agreed to follow our conference rules. From what I understand the Freedom allow public school players to play with them.

Reactions: BackinBlack86
ohh ok that makes sense.. Freedom been trying to schedule Calvert Hall and FCA B team and what not.. So he went rogue LOL.. It's been awhile since I have been back to Harford County a bit out of that loop..

Last edited:
ohh ok that makes sense.. Freedom been trying to schedule Calvert Hall and FCA B team and what not.. So he went rogue LOL.. It's been awhile since I have been back to Harford County a bit out of that loop..
Yeah I could tell you some stories about some of these teams out here!! That's one of the reasons we started our conference...trying to get like minded coaches/teams playing with the same set of rules...we've had our issues as well!

That is lame DIFCA not allowing you guys to have a Blue-Gold rep.It's not like one more player is going to upset the apple cart. It wouldn't even take away from the other kids who make it. just add 1 more roster spot for FCA and have them alternate each year Blue or Gold.. Easy peasy... . I understand DIAA's position on not letting you guys play DIAA teams but DIAA has nothing to do with Blue-Gold.. That's DFRC and DIFCA. I believe you guys have established yourself as a quality DE high school representative to allow at least that..

You just gave the BIB a new cause to champion..:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockem sockem
Poly will not lose incoming athletes from their home school if poly were to drop football from the athletic department.

There are a couple of dozen other sports to think about! Not to mention all the activity that goes with having a football team, band, cheerleading, etc..

I can guarantee this will effect Poly enrollment in the future. Most kid's want the full high school experience homecoming, playing against friends vs their home school etc.. This will negatively effect more than football watch!

Reactions: FCABucks
That is lame DIFCA not allowing you guys to have a Blue-Gold rep.It's not like one more player is going to upset the apple cart. It wouldn't even take away from the other kids who make it. just add 1 more roster spot for FCA and have them alternate each year Blue or Gold.. Easy peasy... . I understand DIAA's position on not letting you guys play DIAA teams but DIAA has nothing to do with Blue-Gold.. That's DFRC and DIFCA. I believe you guys have established yourself as a quality DE high school representative to allow at least that..

You just gave the BIB a new cause to champion..:)
You know BIB I have hesitated to post that info publically, but it frustrates me to know end. As you say it's not a DIAA sanctioned event, they have told me it's a DFRC issue. DFRC and DIFCA have defaulted to one another...I see no reasons why one of our players couldn't participate? Our parents pay taxes that go to support our state schools and are being penalized because of their "school of choice". I have also had to hear our name mentioned in the same sentence as another school...we couldn't be more opposite of that school if we tried! I agree with you on playing DIAA teams, after seeing what some of these teams do, I don't blame the state for not playing teams like ours! I would love to be able to scrimmage state teams, but again I realize their stance.

Last edited:
I can guarantee this will effect Poly enrollment in the future. Most kid's want the full high school experience homecoming, playing against friends vs their home school etc.. This will negatively effect more than football watch!
Is thier enrollment mandated by the state? Asking because if enrollment were to drop could they drop to the South or are they mandated by the number they're supposed to have?

That is BS DIFCA putting it on DFRC.. Why the hell would DFRC care it is just one more kid, parents and friends donating to their cause. One more young adult to spend time with a DFRC kid and participate in all the events. I know your kids would fully participate in the program and not opt out of the Buddy program like some do.. Or worse decide to go to firefly festival instead. :mad:

That is BS DIFCA putting it on DFRC.. Why the hell would DFRC care it is just one more kid, parents and friends donating to their cause. One more young adult to spend time with a DFRC kid and participate in all the events. I know your kids would fully participate in the program and not opt out of the Buddy program like some do.. Or worse decide to go to firefly festival instead. :mad:
What!! No way that is happening!
Man my whole program would be involved!!! My daughter won the best buddy award when she participated, her buddy was awesome and loved our daughter. He lit up when she entered the room, so much so that his mom requested her to be bedside during a lot of his surgeries. Our whole family got involved and he really impacted our family!! This is the main reason I want our players involved because I know first hand how great the event is!!!

One thing I've noticed about a lot of the governing bodies in this state (sports or otherwise) - laziness permeates. It really wouldn't kill DIFCA/DFRC to sit down and at least look at getting home school players a chance at the Blue/Gold game. They're just too disinterested to do so.

One thing I've noticed about a lot of the governing bodies in this state (sports or otherwise) - laziness permeates. It really wouldn't kill DIFCA/DFRC to sit down and at least look at getting home school players a chance at the Blue/Gold game. They're just too disinterested to do so.
FYI...we did sit down...

Laziness and in the case of DIFCA the old boy network.. although there is some new blood involved with DIFCA now like Judy, Bell, Newman.. and MDP moving on was part of the old guard moving on he seemed to really clog up new ideas.. anyhow like I said FCABucks have established themselves as a solid program in this state.. They are only asking for 1 rep.. That shouldn't be too hard..

Is thier enrollment mandated by the state? Asking because if enrollment were to drop could they drop to the South or are they mandated by the number they're supposed to have?
Why would the state mandate a vo-tech school to keep their school pop to a certain number? Shouldn't the state should mandate Howard to increase their numbers to be D1?

Why would the state mandate a vo-tech school to keep their school pop to a certain number? Shouldn't the state should mandate Howard to increase their numbers to be D1?
Don't know, just asking. PT had a major building upgrade a few years ago, I'm sure that costs a lot of $$$$$...surely it came with the caveat as to the number of students?? If it's up to them, why not drop enrollment and move to the south, problem solved?

Reactions: Rockem sockem
Laziness and in the case of DIFCA the old boy network.. although there is some new blood involved with DIFCA now like Judy, Bell, Newman.. and MDP moving on was part of the old guard moving on he seemed to really clog up new ideas.. anyhow like I said FCABucks have established themselves as a solid program in this state.. They are only asking for 1 rep.. That shouldn't be too hard..
You guys do realize that the DFRC is a money grab that pay Scott 100,000 plus and the return to the people they are supposed to serve is like 35%? Talk about the good old boy sham...
Dig into it and you will see.

You guys do realize that the DFRC is a money grab that pay Scott 100,000 plus and the return to the people they are supposed to serve is like 35%? Talk about the good old boy sham...
Dig into it and you will see.

That is pretty much any charity isn't it?.. Hell most charities it is the minimum 10% to the cause...

ddde0d08d640b251c6d2d8b2f1f5e292.jpg

CharityChart.jpg

Don't know, just asking. PT had a major building upgrade a few years ago, I'm sure that costs a lot of $$$$$...surely it came with the caveat as to the number of students?? If it's up to them, why not drop enrollment and move to the south, problem solved?
The facilities at Polytech are amazing. As a coach who can’t get grass seed, it blows me away every time I’m down there and they continue to build. Talk about an absolute waste of money will be that stadium. Holy cow. What is interesting is that NCC Votech actually told St George’s and Hodgson to let more kids in which led to the bump to A.

That is pretty much any charity isn't it?.. Hell most charities it is the minimum 10% to the cause...

ddde0d08d640b251c6d2d8b2f1f5e292.jpg
So that makes it better to know who’s scamming you?? Delaware Special Olympics absolutely blows DFRC away in terms of servicing people with disabilities. Hell, no one even goes to the game anymore. All the individual schools and their Blue/Gold clubs raising money for what? Thanks for the chart!

In the grand scheme of things 35% is not to bad. I mean folks who work for the charity as a full time job do have to get paid to live and it certainly cost money to run a charity..

That said the organizations that do the Police and Firemen funds are a total rip....you get a bumper sticker in hopes the police won't ring you up and they laugh because they know you got scammed.. Had a Maryland State Police Officer friend of mine tell me this once ..I was like what! :eek:

Last edited:
In the grand scheme of things 35% is not to bad. I mean folks who work for the charity as a full time job do have to get paid to live..
Just saying it’s a cash cow for the top people. Nice gig to have for a part time work as the the school coordinators shoulder the load. It’s hard to let go of something that has run its course.

Polytech High will be allowed to leave the Henlopen Conference in football only after all.

The Kent County vo-tech announced the move in a press release this evening.

In November, Polytech’s board announced that the school was leaving the Henlopen Conference in all sports because the league wouldn’t allow it to drop out in just football.

But now the Panthers won’t play football in the conference in both the 2021 and ’22 seasons, which is the next two-year scheduling cycle for Delaware schools.

Reactions: Titanium Shadow
Polytech High will be allowed to leave the Henlopen Conference in football only after all.

The Kent County vo-tech announced the move in a press release this evening.

In November, Polytech’s board announced that the school was leaving the Henlopen Conference in all sports because the league wouldn’t allow it to drop out in just football.

But now the Panthers won’t play football in the conference in both the 2021 and ’22 seasons, which is the next two-year scheduling cycle for Delaware schools.

Once again the Henlopen Conference shows a better decision making process than the Blue Hen. This could have been done for Wilmington Charter and Football.

Having said all of that, Wilmington Charter (like Delcastle) will probably never be competitive in FB in D1.

Thanks for sharing, Bucks....

Once again the Henlopen Conference shows a better decision making process than the Blue Hen. This could have been done for Wilmington Charter and Football.

Having said all of that, Wilmington Charter (like Delcastle) will probably never be competitive in FB in D1.

Thanks for sharing, Bucks....

There may come a day where we can junk divisions altogether, but today ain't that day. Delcastle/Charter/Poly are absolutely D2 football schools and should be considered such.

Wonder how many other schools in other sports will pull their teams out of the conference now because they can't compete?
I think if they leave in one they must leave in all.

Reactions: Bucsnot
They should be only counted as D2 for points purposes unless they play in the division they are assigned.

They should be banned from postseason play, and DIAA teams choosing to play them will not be awarded bonus points if poly happens to win 7+ games. Bucks, this would be the time to start scheduling ptech and have an in-state rival.

They should be banned from postseason play, and DIAA teams choosing to play them will not be awarded bonus points if poly happens to win 7+ games. Bucks, this would be the time to start scheduling ptech and have an in-state rival.
Already been contacted by two public schools...Not going to happen, DIAA will not allow it. In all honesty, after what I saw some of the teams like ours do last year, I understand why they don't allow it. As for PT, will be interesting to see if they play a full schedule this year. After that they will be an independent D1 team correct? They will have no shortage of D2 teams that want to play them,. my guess is they will schedule the Seaford's, Red Lion's, DFSA...why should they be banned from postseason? They have the blessing of the conference/DIAA...what you allow you condone...

Considering that PT has only left the conference because they cannot compete. How or why should a team which has openly commented that they cannot compete in the Henelopen north week in and week out have the opportunity to take away a possible playoff spot from the same conference they left, just for football?

Considering that PT has only left the conference because they cannot compete. How or why should a team which has openly commented that they cannot compete in the Henelopen north week in and week out have the opportunity to take away a possible playoff spot from the same conference they left, just for football?
What makes them ineligible?

Bucks, this is an interesting topic.

St. Marks for a few years had D2 enrollment but asked to be considered to be D1 and that request was granted. The teams that played St. Marks received D1 points even though the numbers didn’t warrant it. Therefore, the precedent has been set to be treated for points and tournament placement with the group you identify with....
( i.e. The Sals were receiving 6 points for beating Sparty because Sparty identified as D1 with DIAA permission.)

Based on this...if Poly self identifies as a D2 school, their opponents should only receive D2 points.
Based on that maybe the Henny should put them in their Southern Division...When they get over .500 in the South 2 years in a row, they should be moved back to the North...or if they qualify for the D2 tournament then they should be moved back to the North the next year.

( I believe Rock’em is of similar mind...)

If this makes no sense...remember I am Bummy...and rarely make sense....

Same scenario for Delcastle and the Blue Hen. (..and yes the quality level of a lot of Blue Hen B football teams is sad.

Bucks, this is an interesting topic.

St. Marks for a few years had D2 enrollment but asked to be considered to be D1 and that request was granted. The teams that played St. Marks received D1 points even though the numbers didn’t warrant it. Therefore, the precedent has been set to be treated for points and tournament placement with the group you identify with....
( i.e. The Sals were receiving 6 points for beating Sparty because Sparty identified as D1 with DIAA permission.)

Based on this...if Poly self identifies as a D2 school, their opponents should only receive D2 points.
Based on that maybe the Henny should put them in their Southern Division...When they get over .500 in the South 2 years in a row, they should be moved back to the North...or if they qualify for the D2 tournament then they should be moved back to the North the next year.

( I believe Rock’em is of similar mind...)

If this makes no sense...remember I am Bummy...and rarely make sense....

Same scenario for Delcastle and the Blue Hen. (..and yes the quality level of a lot of Blue Hen B football teams is sad.
It is interesting, I never saw that there were going to "self identify" as D2...can they even do that?
BTW they were a game above .500 two years ago!

So putting my LA Law hat on. If one of the reasons they are dropping down is safety concerns and someone gets hurt while playing a D1 schedule is there a liability on the school!

also delcastle supposedly has a new FB coach maybe a turnaround is in site!

Bummy couldn’t come up with a good term so I used the “self identify” term that has been floating around the academe for the last couple of years.

My main point is that if a school has D1 numbers and can’t compete in D1 and are allowed to leave the conference other schools shouldn’t be rewarded with D1 points for scheduling them.

Let them play in Henny South as reclassified for FB. Let it be the conference decision.

Can they do that...apparently St Marks did..

Don't know about that, it's one thing to move up, but to move down with enrollment numbers of a D1 school would open up a whole new Pandora's Box!

As for liability I don't see that happening, you'd have to prove the school was negligent...D1 schools play D2 schools all the time.

Reactions: Throwbackjack
I have really been trying to wrap my head around this one. On one hand you have a team that does not belong in Henlopen North in football. However, they have won championships in other sports. I guess the question becomes, who controls the conference. Last time I checked, it is indeed the conference. The DIAA has gone on record saying the conference can do what they want. Specifically with how Poly and Milford were counting numbers a few years back.
The way I see it football can play in the South, but here is the rub. Because of their enrollment numbers they would be ineligible to participate in the D-II tournament and classified as a D-1 team. Depending on how well they did during the season, this could cost the South a playoff birth, if Poly did well. But if that is a risk the conference is willing to take, they should be allowed to. Maybe this could be the impetus for the DIAA to take a hard look at how they are classifying the teams in various sports.

Reactions: ReturnOfTheGate
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT