ADVERTISEMENT

Semis picks

No love for the StE upset. Might be hottest team in state.
St. E’s looked good against Caravel & made a nice run in the tournament but in my opinion the State Championship was basically the second game of the night...meaning I don’t think St. E’s had a chance against either team & I don’t think they’ll keep it too close Saturday vs Smyrna. Nate Thomas is a beast though...he owned the boards & plays smart.

St. E’s looked good against Caravel & made a nice run in the tournament but in my opinion the State Championship was basically the second game of the night...meaning I don’t think St. E’s had a chance against either team & I don’t think they’ll keep it too close Saturday vs Smyrna. Nate Thomas is a beast though...he owned the boards & plays smart.

No disrespect intended and congrats to St E but the Cape situation made that side of the bracket a lot more doable imo

Reactions: Chill44 and J12
No disrespect intended and congrats to St E but the Cape situation made that side of the bracket a lot more doable imo
I absolutely agree...I have no doubt in my mind that it would have been Cape vs Smyrna Round 4 in the Chip if not for the unfortunate situation. Now how crazy would that game had been...smh.

Reactions: 84rider
Bloodsworth shot about 2 for 20
Bloodsworth AND Matthews shot TERRIBLE...along w/ the rest of the team & somehow they still won. Garnett’s offensive rebounding & putbacks were huge tonight. I can’t possibly see Smyrna shooting that bad again Saturday which is why I like Smyrna by at least 10-15.

Reactions: youjustme
It amazed me how neither team utilizes anyone on the bench unless someone gets in foul trouble. It was truly a game of Sanford’s 5 vs Smyrna’s 5. There was/is no “6th Man.” I don’t think I’ve ever seen any teams like that before........

It amazed me how neither team utilizes anyone on the bench unless someone gets in foul trouble. It was truly a game of Sanford’s 5 vs Smyrna’s 5. There was/is no “6th Man.” I don’t think I’ve ever seen any teams like that before........
Sanford got I believe 3 kids off the bench earlier in the game but after that it was starters vs starters

Stan doesn’t prepare them. The school that cost 30K prepares them in every way. Stan just dress nice and plays the role. Stan does a below average job coaching. Just because he sat on the USA bench this past summer means nothing. The USA picks the best players from one of the most dominant basketball countries in the world. It’s the same thing he has at Sanford where he picks and chooses the talent but still lose and dopes like you try to still give him credit. Stop it!! Below average coach with well above average talent year in and year out.
wake up and smell the coffee MORAN

Reactions: Dropping 3's
Sanford got I believe 3 kids off the bench earlier in the game but after that it was starters vs starters
I saw 1 kid get in bc #4 had 2 fouls in the 1st quarter. And I saw 1 other kid get in for abt 15sec, someone called a timeout, and he was back on the bench.....ijs

I was going to post something very similar to this. I said the same thing best game of they tourney was Sanford Smyrna. But I also really liked what I saw from Thomas.

The Sanford/smyrna game came down to experience, talented battle tested senior guard play specifically. The refs let everyone play which I was pleased with. The game before St. E/ caravel represented everthing that's wrong with delaware basketball. Looked like a game between 2 poorly coached middle school teams. Sanford/smyrna was the championship game for me, congratulations Smyrna for winning the cup two straight years.

Sanford definitely had the 2 best players on the court but Smyrna had the experience with mainly juniors and 2/3 seniors. But what hurt Sanford and I am sure Stan said something to them but they waited to long was they were settling for 3's. All night Sanford's guards put up these terrible 3 balls while Davis and the big Freshmen were dominating down low, they didn't decide to start driving until it was too late.
Davis should have finished with at least 25 and won the game.
but gotta give it to Smyrna. Caleb didn't shoot well field but found a way to get to the line and knock them all down.
Then despite size for Sanford, Garnett and Veasley battled with those big boys and that rebound put back to give Smyrna the lead was a difference maker.

The Sanford/smyrna game came down to experience, talented battle tested senior guard play specifically. The refs let everyone play which I was please with. The game before St. E/ caravel represented everthing that's wrong with delaware basketball. Looked like a game between 2 poorly coached middle school teams. Sanford/smyrna was the championship game me, congratulations Smyrna for winning the cup two straight years.

I don't think St E's was badly coached. I mean they bring the defensive intensity and those kids flat out hustle. Sometimes they get a little to fast like the guard #2 I believe turned the ball over atleast 2-3times in a row. but I liked what they did. The only question I have about their defense was they gave Parker a lot of room. I was expecting more of a box and 1 on him. and I saw hints too it but Money was playing well off of him.
Now Caravel on the other hand, yeah coaching was bad. Never got his kids to box out, continued to let parker jack up shots rather than attack, had parker sitting down the final 2 minutes of shoot around before the 2nd half.

Reactions: Lazertron
Should of, could of, blah blah blah. StE beat the teams that were in front of them. The also beat Sanford during the season. Someone is going to say but Sanford sat guys. Still beat them. Stop making excuses for your point to make sense. A wins a win. So if StE beats Smyrna they really aren’t the champs? Because whatever reason you give.
Come on man.

I don't think St E's was badly coached. I mean they bring the defensive intensity and those kids flat out hustle. Sometimes they get a little to fast like the guard #2 I believe turned the ball over atleast 2-3times in a row. but I liked what they did. The only question I have about their defense was they gave Parker a lot of room. I was expecting more of a box and 1 on him. and I saw hints too it but Money was playing well off of him.
Now Caravel on the other hand, yeah coaching was bad. Never got his kids to box out, continued to let parker jack up shots rather than attack, had parker sitting down the final 2 minutes of shoot around before the 2nd half.
When I look at coaching I evaluate the things not related to talent, kids guarding positions, defensive rotation help side, ball movement, moving without the ball, discipline, unselfishness, playing hard, attitude & body language, player development (kids getting better each year), etc. Parker who I think requires lots of development to be a college player drove that ball down the lane to easy. I see the hustle but it is a scrappy type situation more like brawling in a bar rather than a organized effort base of good defensive fundementals. The game between Sanford and Smyrna showed a drastic difference in not just talent but coaching.

Last edited:
yall keep busting on Stan cause they don't win, but reality is were they are when they finish their careers, which are usually on top, Stan prepares his young boys for life, not just winning state titles and that's what makes him a great coach and is the reason he is on the national scene[/QUOTE
Agree ! Best post for quite some time on here........

Stan doesn’t prepare them. The school that cost 30K prepares them in every way. Stan just dress nice and plays the role. Stan does a below average job coaching. Just because he sat on the USA bench this past summer means nothing. The USA picks the best players from one of the most dominant basketball countries in the world. It’s the same thing he has at Sanford where he picks and chooses the talent but still lose and dopes like you try to still give him credit. Stop it!! Below average coach with well above average talent year in and year out.
Man stop drinking the Hatorade!!!!

I knew a Stan hate post would come sooner or later. Sad that some can't recognize greatness.

Smyrna had more tourney experience, period. Jyare/Nnana/Perkins Cousins will learn from from this and they might actually get even better next year (hint hint).

St. E has a better shot than you think. They've made two of the top five scorers in this state look very average and they're not afraid to win ugly (see the Newark game). Smyrna should take them seriously or else.

Reactions: Dropping 3's
I think St E's is the perfect example of a team that is different in the playoffs and gets either "hot" or "turns it on". Look at their schedule they played Caravel regular season and got blown out by 20. Parker went for 34. They see him again in the playoffs and smother him. He got hot for about 2 minutes in the 3rd finished with over 10 but the result completely different.
They played St Georges in the regular season, lose by 11 and Bones has 39, gets 6 in the tournament.
Then against Sanford who I know lost, they held Davis to 6. Smyrna couldn't do that.
I really think this Championship game could be better than every one is thinking.

Reactions: sportsguy725
I knew a Stan hate post would come sooner or later. Sad that some can't recognize greatness.

Smyrna had more tourney experience, period. Jyare/Nnana/Perkins Cousins will learn from from this and they might actually get even better next year (hint hint).

St. E has a better shot than you think. They've made two of the top five scorers in this state look very average and they're not afraid to win ugly (see the Newark game). Smyrna should take them seriously or else.
St E has a very good shot if Smyrna shoots like they did against Sanford. I thought St E ran their delay very well and moved the ball well all night. #11 for St E was tough at both ends of the floor. Caravel was really a one man gang most of the time. Smyrna -Sanford was clearly a better game, but it is not a done deal for Smyrna on Saturday. That’s why they play the games.

again, not taking anything away from St E but the two top scorers i believe you are referring to didnt have teammates that are able to pick up the slack. if you shut Matthews down, you have to worry about Bloodsworth who has proved time and time again that he can score. to shut both of those guys down, you will have to guard the perimeter which gives Garnett room in the paint. Veasley is a factor getting easy put backs and rebounds. just too many threats imo, good luck to both teams

St. E gets beating down on Saturday, I've move on to next season. Great kids who have exceeded expectations but the dreams and wishes of family have no place in reality. No way Smyrna playing down to St. E in a championship game. Definitely not with senior leadership.

StE's has to play their best game and Smyrna has to play way below expectations in order to make this an even game.

St E has a very good shot if Smyrna shoots like they did against Sanford. I thought St E ran their delay very well and moved the ball well all night. #11 for St E was tough at both ends of the floor. Caravel was really a one man gang most of the time. Smyrna -Sanford was clearly a better game, but it is not a done deal for Smyrna on Saturday. That’s why they play the games.
I highly doubt Smyrna shoots that bad again but if Sanford didn’t beat them even when they shot that bad I’m not convinced that St. E’s will either.

You must not have seen his game last night. Phew.
Bloodsworth along w/ dam near everybody I saw shoot the ball last night shot poorly but speaking for those of us who have seen these teams throughout the season I wouldn’t exactly leave him open based off of last night. Matthews made 2 field goals all last night as well & do U think that St. E’s aren’t worried about him?

Reactions: jvm3
Me too. Another championship for the poor old public schools!! Who can beat Sanford next year?
I can agree w/ that...if all those young kids stay they look like they shouldn’t even have a close game in-state the next 2 years.

Me too. Another championship for the poor old public schools!! Who can beat Sanford next year?
Nobody unfortunately. We have a bigger problem here in Delaware than the public vs private debate. The game is suffering, not growing, not getting better. With the exception of Sanford v Smyrna and about 3 other schools most high school games look horrible (recreational league). The lack of development has produce poor quality basketball. It can be fixed but only after the mentalities of the adults change. It's a sad thing to watch if u love the game and all of it's lessons that transitions to life.

Reactions: jvm3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT