ADVERTISEMENT

Sussex Central Football?????

lovinlife2t

Water boy
Feb 15, 2007
What is going on with the Sussex Central Football team this year. Cant remember the last time a Central team has started out the season with a 1-5 record. Ive been to 1 game this year and had seen enough. They were absolutely horrible!!! No Defense No Offense Not the usual John Wells coached team.

Are you kidding me the kids get to act like thugs and do what they want to do, so this is a typical SC Team has no discipline.
This post was edited on 10/12 3:42 PM by IrishQB#11

IrishQb11 I would have to disagree. Act like thugs?? They are a very well disciplined team "well have been in the past" with Coach Wells at the helm. Thugs I would refer to Dover as the thugs.

Bucsnot yes I agree with you 100% downstate teams are horrible this year. In my opinion the best team down this way or within an hour would have to be Lake Forest. Watched them play against Woodbridge Friday night and would have to say I can see them making a run in the playoffs. Wether they can compete with the tough upstate teams in Div. 2 is another story.

Will give you Dover they are thugs they are allowed to do what they want you can build anew school and change the outside but the inside is still the same but SC is the same way, saw SC #8 throw a punch at a Smyrna player at end of game and SC Head Coach turn around and pat him on the helmet! As if it is ok! SCOPE did a lot for that player.

I don't know where you or anyone else get your facts, but, Dover is like any other city school. They have their issues, but, there are also a lot of positive things going on at Dover High.

Cheerz&Geerz

Originally posted by lovinlife2t:
IrishQb11 I would have to disagree. Act like thugs?? They are a very well disciplined team "well have been in the past" with Coach Wells at the helm. Thugs I would refer to Dover as the thugs.
"Well they have been in the past" would be a correct statement. Wells is one of the best coaches, traditionally in the state. He has the ability to get his kids to "buy in" and make the most of what he has....traditionally. Everything I am hearing from down there, tradition may have been broken. Then again winning usually solves a lot of the issues as well....seems like the Knights "Golden Horse" may be running out of steam...time will tell.

As for Dover...that's a whole different thread.

Nice website, but all the photos with the principle and the politicans? That should make ya a little nervous...ha

Yes the Henlopen in Down this year, but to say the only good team in Lake is very untrue statement. Have you seen laurel, Cape or Sussex Tech? even in a down year the Henlopen is still by far the strongest conference in the state.

Coach John Wells and his staff have no had a sub .500 record in almost 25 years. Let that sink in.......

One tough year and everyone starts panicking. This kind of stuff cracks me up.

Irish QB11....Loving life2t........So not true..You have no clue what you're talking about in regards to Dover football kids doing whatever they want.....Wow... Why would you refer to Dover as "thugs"? I am pretty sure I know why and I will leave that unsaid.....but just like any public school in this country Dover is full of great kids and kids who need guidance...they have kids at Lake, Sallies, Woodbridge, Smyrna, and even CR who need guidance.....Please show me a public school without issues? That school does not exist!! Maybe in your world but not in the real world where the rest of us live. Dover kids are "thugs" is a serious label....with a certain connation implied..... Keep your jaded comments to yourself buddy.

Senator supporter!!!!!!

@DSC

I agree completely, some fans can be the most impatient people on the plant. Program has been solid for many years.

Pretty sure what we are trying to say, and certain connation implied, go ahead and say it. I was referencing how they are allowed to act on the field. You added the so-called implied connation! Maybe the issues are within you BUDDY!

No the problem lies within you! They are not "allowed" to act a certain way on the field! I am close to the program and if they get out of line...they are quickly put in check...Not sure where you got your information but you seem to like putting other's down...being a hater or as you call it "stirring the pot". Give me a break. Coach Wells is a good guy and because they're losing he has discipline problems?

Please elaborate for us your definition of a "thug" on the field?

Wow. The CR-Dover which is full of emotion because of the rivalry does not equate to kids as thugs....sorry it doesn't.. I am so sure that CR had nothing to do with the fight (#21 from cr punched kid in back of the head)....I have no idea why #2 being from Baltimore has anything to do with 2 great plays? Laqwan Moody's hit was legal..no flag was thrown......and yes maybe a little to much emotion but not a thug.

Originally posted by who_u_wit:

Wow. The CR-Dover which is full of emotion because of the rivalry does not equate to kids as thugs....sorry it doesn't.. I am so sure that CR had nothing to do with the fight (#21 from cr punched kid in back of the head)....I have no idea why #2 being from Baltimore has anything to do with 2 great plays? Laqwan Moody's hit was legal..no flag was thrown......and yes maybe a little to much emotion but not a thug.
I was referning to the excessive celebration of the play not the hit ,, Point was go watch HS games in Baltimore and this is normal..hence what the young man is used to..from rec all the way up..refering to a HS kid as a thug isn't even in my vocabulary..

This post was edited on 10/15 2:28 PM by ravensrooster2

Sorry but those videos didn't show me that anyone was a "thug".

The fight was just a fight. Once a pushing match starts between kids, adults or whoever then the mob mentality sets in and it gets out of control. But it seemed to be settled down pretty quickly. As for the hit in the second one, it seemed that the hit was below the shoulders. It was a hard hit and a little brutal looking. As a parent, i wouldn't like to see my kid getting rocked like that but other than the celebrating while a kid was on the ground (which i didn't feel was overly excessive either), i didn't see much wrong with the play. As for the endzone celebration with the kickoff return, unless i missed something, all i saw was a little bit of a dance. I'm not a fan of celebration dances at any level, but this seemed pretty tame in my opinion.

Our personal biases effect our outlook. One kid from ( lets say Sallies) does the Aaron Rogers "Discount Double Double Check" after scoring a TD. Fans applaud and herald him a hero..Another kid ( let's say from Dover ) does a brief Deon Sanders "two step", after scoring and is labelled an undisciplined thug.

This post was edited on 10/16 3:28 AM by 9525

9525- great example! Also I'm tired of adults labeling kids and schools they know very little about. There are soooooo many good kids at Dhigh and Sussex Central and it's a shame that they get labeled as such. Like crabs in barrel!

Wow this thread has gotten way off topic. I'll speak on the football side of things because as stated before winning solves alot of issues. In my humble opinion, Dover always brings atheletes who want to score and play offense. Dover at least in the last decade ( because I cant really recall much before that ) has bee, for the most part, that same story. The offensive fire power is enormous. However, within the last decade Dover has lacked physicality on their team. Especially defensively it seems no one ever has the desire to play hard nosed, disciplined ( speaking about assignment football ) defense. Trust me I'm not saying Dover is incapable of being that way because they have plenty of Big, Fast, Strong kids in their program, but until that mentality is brought to the program I believe Dover will always be the dover it still is. I do believe their could possibly be a sleeping giant in Dover, but it will always be asleep until that toughness ( speaking of in between the lines ) that drive is the mentality that is brought to the program.................................My humble opinion.

That doesn't offend me because there is"some" merit to what was said because he referenced football. He wasn't labeling kids. I don't totally agree with everything he said but I do agree that they're a sleeping giant year in and out. I don't get offended when someone has an opinion that has some merit, the issue is when you call kids "thugs". No call for that...it's about building up kids duke dog!

@who....very well spoken...this site having a very open format invites some clownish people to "stir the pot" ....the ignore tab is very useful for those people...just saying.....

Yea i'm the one started the thread and it somehow got changed over to thugs. I was just stating that this years Centrals team of years and years of going they are definitely having a down year although they did just pick up a big Win over Dover not that it really matters. Not use to seeing a team like this years team especially NO DEFENSE usually that's our A game. Hopefully next year will be a change. Coach Wells will hopefully turn it around from this year and if any coach can he would be the man. Cant wait for the Tech and Cape game should be a ball buster!!

I officiated the Dover vs. SC game last night and we didn't have one issue. Lots of good sportsmanship out there. I was proud of both teams. Not easy for a public school to be great every year, for obvious reasons.

Nice way to finish the season for SC with 4 straight wins. I know 5-5 is a down year for this team but they took Lake Forest and Smyrna to final whistle and had a lead on CR late in the game. The could have quit at 1-5 but Coach Wells kept thhase boys w orking hard and finished strong. Central has some big talent coming into high school next year so things are looking up. Coach Wells, keep doing what you do best. We are behind you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT