Saint Elizabeth 26, McKean 6
Friends 47, North East (Md.) 7
Newark 19, Saint Mark’s 14
Sussex Central 21, Laurel 0
Middletown 35, Caesar Rodney 0
Hodgson 38, Lake Forest 30
Milford 67, Red Lion 0
Smyrna 56, Delcastle 0

Well, boys and girls, I had to get my Starbucks latte in hand this morning before I can even begin any type of assessment of what occurred at last night’s game. First, I am thankful that I didn’t make that hour+ trek to watch Dover take a beating from Dunbar; 50 to 28. However, making a 5 mile drive to the CR vs. Middletown game wasn’t worth anyone’s time either. The Middletown Cavaliers rolled over CR, despite Middletown’s efforts to give them the game. Middletown, was undisciplined and average at best. They were not impressive at all and if they are considered a “top 10 team” it just goes to so how bad the others must be. Middletown had over 100 years in penalties alone. That’s not first game jitters. A playoff caliber team doesn’t perform like that. Middletown’s running backs were their saving grace.

But, the real crime here especially since I'm a local guy, was CR’s coaching and game play. The over-hype of new coaches, a new offense and a new era for CR football fell flat on its face. I don’t think anyone thought CR was actually going to win, but what about just being competitive? CR athletes lack fundamentals. CR was supposedly to have this “new” innovative offense, but it turned out to be nothing more than just a bastardized version of Schonewolf’s Wing-T. A system that, while good 30 years ago and for kids at the Middle School level, is antiquated and dated for today’s game. It’s the lazy man’s offense. And, I don’t want to hear all the crying about how “so much” can be run from a Wing-T. If it was so successful the top colleges and the pros would be using it. Not the case. I for one expected much, much more out of Coach Candeloro, his staff and their football scheme.

CR has some pretty good athletes, but a lot of them are just plugged into wrong positions. First and foremost, Brian Lewis #4 has no business playing the quarterback position. This is just a fact. He won’t play QB at any level at college. Doesn't mean he won't play at the collegiate level, just not as anyone QB. Lewis might be a great kid and a good athlete, but the fact is he just doesn’t have the knowledge, skill-set or ability necessary to perform at the level needed. He doesn’t progress through reads, throw the ball well, or have the command presence. Lewis looked confused, uneasy and frightened like a rabbit behind the line of scrimmage. Plus, like I stated in a previous post, the other problem CR has is they lack skilled receivers. They just can’t catch. That goes for CR’s Special Teams as well. They couldn’t catch or return a punt to save their lives. It be comical if if wasn't so sad. Not being able to catch is going to be a very costly mistake. So the coaches have better start focusing on the basics of catching a football. They need to learn to work a 5 yrd dink’n dung pass play to just move the sticks. Once they get that down, they can try for longer pass plays. But not before then.

CR’s running game wasn’t there either. Once Middletown saw that Najee Whitted #46 was in the back field, they queued in and knew the run was coming. So Middletown adjusted and crushed him each and every time, meeting Whitted at the line of scrimmage or driving him back for a loss. Whitted is a strong and powerful runner, but he has to get lower, find the holes and punch through. Then, at 2nd half of the game CR’s coaches throw in a new QB (Jared Wagonhoffer #9) with a second team offense, in a game where they are down 35 to 0 with a running clock and presumably expecting some sort of miracle? While Wagonhoffer clearly had a better pocket presence, skill-set and calmness in the position, but at that point it didn’t matter. Working with limited tools he did well considering the poor conditions that he was left to deal with. My confusing is from all accounts Lewis is one hell of a receiver and plays the position at practices (where his own older brother is a coach). Then why not do what’s best for the team and play him where he’d be successful and instrumental to the team? Instead, CR kept beating a dead horse (might be a good new logo). The parents and CR’s spirit squad were calling for a QB change in the first quarter. CR might have been able to at least salvage some of the game and be competitive if that QB change happened earlier and Lewis had the opportunity to play receiver. If Coach Candeloro doesn’t make some serious and major adjustments, CR fans, staff and alumni can expect a painfully long and losing season. One that doesn’t have to be…

How bad is Cecil County HS football? Good grief... Send your good kids to CA or St M... LOL

Considering where Milford has been in years past with "the streak" and the last couple years, it was good to see our boys come out on that side for a change. They played on a short field all night. Son Martinez had 3 interceptions in the first quarter for Milford. They tried to keep it close, though they did throw it a few times, they started pulling guys midway thru 2nd quarter. 3rd string QB & running backs played entire 2nd half. Red Lion was over matched. I think I counted 19-20 guys on their squad. QB has a nice arm but was running for his life all night.

Gotta give props to both teams & officials that in spite of the lopsided score there were no personal fouls, no excessive celebrations. Great way to start the season for Milford, but gotta forget about this one and get ready for next week.

Well, boys and girls, I had to get my Starbucks latte in hand this morning before I can even begin any type of assessment of what occurred at last night’s game. First, I am thankful that I didn’t make that hour+ trek to watch Dover take a beating from Dunbar; 50 to 28. However, making a 5 mile drive to the CR vs. Middletown game wasn’t worth anyone’s time either. The Middletown Cavaliers rolled over CR, despite Middletown’s efforts to give them the game. Middletown, was undisciplined and average at best. They were not impressive at all and if they are considered a “top 10 team” it just goes to so how bad the others must be. Middletown had over 100 years in penalties alone. That’s not first game jitters. A playoff caliber team doesn’t perform like that. Middletown’s running backs were their saving grace.

But, the real crime here especially since I'm a local guy, was CR’s coaching and game play. The over-hype of new coaches, a new offense and a new era for CR football fell flat on its face. I don’t think anyone thought CR was actually going to win, but what about just being competitive? CR athletes lack fundamentals. CR was supposedly to have this “new” innovative offense, but it turned out to be nothing more than just a bastardized version of Schonewolf’s Wing-T. A system that, while good 30 years ago and for kids at the Middle School level, is antiquated and dated for today’s game. It’s the lazy man’s offense. And, I don’t want to hear all the crying about how “so much” can be run from a Wing-T. If it was so successful the top colleges and the pros would be using it. Not the case. I for one expected much, much more out of Coach Candeloro, his staff and their football scheme.

CR has some pretty good athletes, but a lot of them are just plugged into wrong positions. First and foremost, Brian Lewis #4 has no business playing the quarterback position. This is just a fact. He won’t play QB at any level at college. Doesn't mean he won't play at the collegiate level, just not as anyone QB. Lewis might be a great kid and a good athlete, but the fact is he just doesn’t have the knowledge, skill-set or ability necessary to perform at the level needed. He doesn’t progress through reads, throw the ball well, or have the command presence. Lewis looked confused, uneasy and frightened like a rabbit behind the line of scrimmage. Plus, like I stated in a previous post, the other problem CR has is they lack skilled receivers. They just can’t catch. That goes for CR’s Special Teams as well. They couldn’t catch or return a punt to save their lives. It be comical if if wasn't so sad. Not being able to catch is going to be a very costly mistake. So the coaches have better start focusing on the basics of catching a football. They need to learn to work a 5 yrd dink’n dung pass play to just move the sticks. Once they get that down, they can try for longer pass plays. But not before then.

CR’s running game wasn’t there either. Once Middletown saw that Najee Whitted #46 was in the back field, they queued in and knew the run was coming. So Middletown adjusted and crushed him each and every time, meeting Whitted at the line of scrimmage or driving him back for a loss. Whitted is a strong and powerful runner, but he has to get lower, find the holes and punch through. Then, at 2nd half of the game CR’s coaches throw in a new QB (Jared Wagonhoffer #9) with a second team offense, in a game where they are down 35 to 0 with a running clock and presumably expecting some sort of miracle? While Wagonhoffer clearly had a better pocket presence, skill-set and calmness in the position, but at that point it didn’t matter. Working with limited tools he did well considering the poor conditions that he was left to deal with. My confusing is from all accounts Lewis is one hell of a receiver and plays the position at practices (where his own older brother is a coach). Then why not do what’s best for the team and play him where he’d be successful and instrumental to the team? Instead, CR kept beating a dead horse (might be a good new logo). The parents and CR’s spirit squad were calling for a QB change in the first quarter. CR might have been able to at least salvage some of the game and be competitive if that QB change happened earlier and Lewis had the opportunity to play receiver. If Coach Candeloro doesn’t make some serious and major adjustments, CR fans, staff and alumni can expect a painfully long and losing season. One that doesn’t have to be…
Scout not sure your take on MT being undisciplined is on point! They are a very disciplined team, (being aggressive is not undisciplined) And disagree with you about being a top team, Top 3 for sure ! They only had a few penalties , unfortunately they were called on two big runs but other than that 3 illegal procedures! There Offense struggled for sure, QB tried to do to much, he needs to control pace of the game seemed to have jitters. He did have some nice throws but forced ball into double coverage way to much , he seems to predetermined where he's throwing and never checks out of it ! Running game seemed to never get on pace! CR had opportunities, special teams killed them! Plus receivers dropped several passes worried about getting popped, they played scared! Their running game was non existent! Not sure either QB had an impact. MT's defense was to strong and way too quick for CR's stagnant offense!

Pretty accurate assessment...

Reactions: Tarzan79
Problem is those were some really pointed and possibly unnecessary comments about a kid. You may not think he's good, and that's fine, we critique players and coaches on the board often, but it just sounds really personal and callous. Remember, these are kids still and it's just a game.

After 1 game against a really good Middletown team this guy ripped everyone except for the concession stand workers.

Real men don't criticize kids on a message board.

Reactions: teamblitz77
First, it wasn’t my intention to create uproar. My name is William Hammons and I moved to Delaware a few years back and live in Dover. I started following the Dover Senators, but since CR is in our conference its good to keep an eye on local teams talent. Anyway, I didn’t realize what a firestorm I would set off for an accurate assessment. Truth is, I pointing out deficiencies with the coaching, their player placement and football IQ. I’ve been involved in football for over 40 years, much of that at the collegiate level. The problems I see is with coaches, parents and others is the coddling of today’s youth with a that sense of entitlement. Once student-athletes hit high school, everyone needs to learn and come to the reality that performance varies by the individual. If they don’t then they’ll just be harder hit once they reach adulthood and struggle to compete in the real world. My point, that the CR coaches (all coaches for that matter) should be properly identifying their player’s talents, abilities and skill-set to help them succeed. That, in turn, makes for a successful program. It shouldn’t be dictated by where a kid “wants” to play or where his/her parents “thinks” their little Johnny should play (just so they can live vicariously through them). I have noticed a change in expectations over the years. It’s as if people want a high standard of achievement with the least amount of effort. Parents that have an inflated idea of how good their kid is only fuels that attitude and coaches find themselves force fed with it. Nowhere is that more true than high school football. Each and every single parent thinks their kid is the best, is going to some FBS school (to start of course) and only after two years of college, they’ll be off to the NFL making millions. Fact is, few, very few student-athletes will go on to play collegiate football at any level. Only 8% of the 1.1 million varsity football athletes will make it. Doubt me, go back the last ten years at your respective high school and just see how many student-athletes actually make it to the collegiate level for football.

I totally agree with the mindset that the mission of a youth coach (for kids 5 to 14) is to foster the physical, mental and emotional growth of kids BEFORE they get into high school. I didn’t think a high school forum/blog would encompass that "10th place trophy, everybody is a winner" mentality. That thinking only serves to bring anguish and unrealistic expectations to teens in high school. High school coaches should be prepping student-athletes for the best possible position for them to succeed. That is my point. I didn’t see that last night. And, regardless of whether its game 1 or game 10 of a season, high school coaches should be prepping potential student-athletes to hopefully play at the college level and be fortunate enough to get a scholarship. But its long odds. The fact is that college coaches are looking for a certain physical standard, and athletic ability. Either the player has it or he doesn’t. If you have to blame somebody for your son (or daughter) not getting a football scholarship, your high school coach could be hindering you or your unrealistic expectations coupled with that unavoidable genetics factor. Most colleges won’t look at you, unless you’re this big and that fast, with this a specific ability. For example, you can have the greatest hands on the football team, catching everything in sight. But, if you’re 5’6 and run only a 5.0/40 there isn’t one FBS or FCS school coach that will even look at you. And, parents and kids associate success with only Division I programs, which is a falsehood. My frustration, which should be yours as well, is when you watch kids fail because coaches don’t identify ability, talent and they are placed in a position not to succeed. It hurts them. It hurts the team. It hurts the program. When coaches, teachers and parents create a false sense of accomplishment (case in point) that shows and tells other kids to be proud of mediocrity. In reality they should learning important lessons about dealing with failure and overcoming setbacks.

This is what I’ve learned in 40 years of football:

· There is always someone better than you, at everything.
· Those who enforce the rules can be mistaken or even biased and conditions under which you have to operate are often bad.
· You can do your very best and still not succeed. This isn’t unfair, it just is.
· People will cheat and you will lose because someone is not honest.
· Have realistic expectations. You can shoot for the stars but you got to have a rocket ship.
· It is as important to learn how to be a gracious loser as it is to be a humble winner.
· A team is about something much larger than any one person.
· Individuals do not succeed, teams do.
· Know your role and playing your role, whatever it is, is an honorable thing to do.
· Sharing a goal is not the same as sharing success. The camaraderie of a team comes from the former not the latter.
· One small mistake in an otherwise flawless performance can be the difference between winning and losing.
· Outcome cannot be controlled, only processes and effort.
· Failing to win is not failing. Teams improve, players improve and that is success. Coaches should be the ones putting players in the right positions. And even though you can play a great game, someone else can just play better. Sometimes, failing to win can just be bad luck.

So, I am sorry if I hurt some feelings, that wasn’t the intent. But, the truth is always right, even though it may not be popular.

First, it wasn’t my intention to create uproar. My name is William Hammons and I moved to Delaware a few years back and live in Dover. I started following the Dover Senators, but since CR is in our conference its good to keep an eye on local teams talent. Anyway, I didn’t realize what a firestorm I would set off for an accurate assessment. Truth is, I pointing out deficiencies with the coaching, their player placement and football IQ. I’ve been involved in football for over 40 years, much of that at the collegiate level. The problems I see is with coaches, parents and others is the coddling of today’s youth with a that sense of entitlement. Once student-athletes hit high school, everyone needs to learn and come to the reality that performance varies by the individual. If they don’t then they’ll just be harder hit once they reach adulthood and struggle to compete in the real world. My point, that the CR coaches (all coaches for that matter) should be properly identifying their player’s talents, abilities and skill-set to help them succeed. That, in turn, makes for a successful program. It shouldn’t be dictated by where a kid “wants” to play or where his/her parents “thinks” their little Johnny should play (just so they can live vicariously through them). I have noticed a change in expectations over the years. It’s as if people want a high standard of achievement with the least amount of effort. Parents that have an inflated idea of how good their kid is only fuels that attitude and coaches find themselves force fed with it. Nowhere is that more true than high school football. Each and every single parent thinks their kid is the best, is going to some FBS school (to start of course) and only after two years of college, they’ll be off to the NFL making millions. Fact is, few, very few student-athletes will go on to play collegiate football at any level. Only 8% of the 1.1 million varsity football athletes will make it. Doubt me, go back the last ten years at your respective high school and just see how many student-athletes actually make it to the collegiate level for football.

I totally agree with the mindset that the mission of a youth coach (for kids 5 to 14) is to foster the physical, mental and emotional growth of kids BEFORE they get into high school. I didn’t think a high school forum/blog would encompass that "10th place trophy, everybody is a winner" mentality. That thinking only serves to bring anguish and unrealistic expectations to teens in high school. High school coaches should be prepping student-athletes for the best possible position for them to succeed. That is my point. I didn’t see that last night. And, regardless of whether its game 1 or game 10 of a season, high school coaches should be prepping potential student-athletes to hopefully play at the college level and be fortunate enough to get a scholarship. But its long odds. The fact is that college coaches are looking for a certain physical standard, and athletic ability. Either the player has it or he doesn’t. If you have to blame somebody for your son (or daughter) not getting a football scholarship, your high school coach could be hindering you or your unrealistic expectations coupled with that unavoidable genetics factor. Most colleges won’t look at you, unless you’re this big and that fast, with this a specific ability. For example, you can have the greatest hands on the football team, catching everything in sight. But, if you’re 5’6 and run only a 5.0/40 there isn’t one FBS or FCS school coach that will even look at you. And, parents and kids associate success with only Division I programs, which is a falsehood. My frustration, which should be yours as well, is when you watch kids fail because coaches don’t identify ability, talent and they are placed in a position not to succeed. It hurts them. It hurts the team. It hurts the program. When coaches, teachers and parents create a false sense of accomplishment (case in point) that shows and tells other kids to be proud of mediocrity. In reality they should learning important lessons about dealing with failure and overcoming setbacks.

· Those who enforce the rules can be mistaken or even biased and conditions under which you have to operate are often bad.
· You can do your very best and still not succeed. This isn’t unfair, it just is.
· Have realistic expectations. You can shoot for the stars but you got to have a rocket ship.
· It is as important to learn how to be a gracious loser as it is to be a humble winner.
· Know your role and playing your role, whatever it is, is an honorable thing to do.
· Sharing a goal is not the same as sharing success. The camaraderie of a team comes from the former not the latter.
· One small mistake in an otherwise flawless performance can be the difference between winning and losing.
· Failing to win is not failing. Teams improve, players improve and that is success. Coaches should be the ones putting players in the right positions. And even though you can play a great game, someone else can just play better. Sometimes, failing to win can just be bad luck.

So, I am sorry if I hurt some feelings, that wasn’t the intent. But, the truth is always right, even though it may not be popular.

ScoutBilly.....the word store just called.

They said they were out of words.

Scout Billy. I don't know how much you know about football or not, but maybe you should be a HS coach and run your brand of offense. Whatever it is.First of all the wing-t is an proven and effective HS offense and versions of it are used by many colleges and even some pro teams. Problem is that the one thing i could possibly agree with you on is that the coaching staff has to know how to run it and teach it. Give Cr a chance before you throw them to the wolves. Hopefully they'll work things out. And saying MT is average at best puzzles me. Have you followed that program for the last 5 years?

Know all about moving to the next level in football, ScoutBilly,, have had 2 sons recruited after playing Delaware hs football. Don't think your criticism of the CR QB was designed to be helpful. Keep in mind occasionally, players read this board.

just an opinion
not sure if personal
mtown just better than cr

.....wood, you are correct.....it is just an opinion and everyone is entitled to express their views on this forum
.....and if the poster is who i believe he is, he knows a hell of a lot more than most about football.

again-people may not like the way something is said or implied but at the end of the day if its accurate.....it is what it is.

not saying I agree or disagree with what he said.....JMHO

my take on CR- give it some time
my take on M-Town....much easier to speak to-like the big S (MDP and BDN better win games)

Cavs have been to 5 straight title games-impressive.....but do not lose sight of the fact that they were only the best team in the state 2 of those years (and quite possibly just 1).......sorry HS :)

.....wood, you are correct.....it is just an opinion and everyone is entitled to express their views on this forum
.....and if the poster is who i believe he is, he knows a hell of a lot more than most about football.

again-people may not like the way something is said or implied but at the end of the day if its accurate.....it is what it is.

not saying I agree or disagree with what he said.....JMHO

my take on CR- give it some time
my take on M-Town....much easier to speak to-like the big S (MDP and BDN better win games)

Cavs have been to 5 straight title games-impressive.....but do not lose sight of the fact that they were only the best team in the state 2 of those years (and quite possibly just 1).......sorry HS :)
Jawnsky, MT definitely were heads and shoulders above everyone in 2012 no doubt, but 2013 IMO would have been 3 straight if not for MDP complete arrogance, never established a run game pretty much all season, but really didn't need it until Sals,was an air show all season, it hurt them against Sals! In ship he refused to kick field goals ( left points on the field a few times, refused to punt when most coaches would of played field position. Lastly put a 5'8" corner 155 lb. ( Berger- though one of the best) against a 6'-6" 250 lb. (O'Neill) big mis-match difference to that game. He gave them the ring!

A well executed offense is just that- whether it's a spread, pro I, double wing, or wing-t...it doesn't matter what you call it. Heck- look at Georgia Tech this year...triple option racking up the points. Look at Oregon- when was the last time they got held to 14pts? It's not the scheme it's the execution and coaching (and players of course).

MTown is just better than CR right now- both teams will improve, you can bet on that.

The Middletown Cavaliers rolled over CR, despite Middletown’s efforts to give them the game. Middletown, was undisciplined and average at best. They were not impressive at all and if they are considered a “top 10 team” it just goes to show how bad the others must be. Middletown had over 100 years in penalties alone. That’s not first game jitters. A playoff caliber team doesn’t perform like that.

Fair/good points. A lot of cleaning up to do. I think they are at a very good starting point for a successful season.

I wouldn't say they made a 100 years of penalties, I would say they made at least a half century.

Jawnsky, MT definitely were heads and shoulders above everyone in 2012 no doubt, but 2013 IMO would have been 3 straight if not for MDP complete arrogance, never established a run game pretty much all season, but really didn't need it until Sals,was an air show all season, it hurt them against Sals! In ship he refused to kick field goals ( left points on the field a few times, refused to punt when most coaches would of played field position. Lastly put a 5'8" corner 155 lb. ( Berger- though one of the best) against a 6'-6" 250 lb. (O'Neill) big mis-match difference to that game. He gave them the ring!

Mob....Make no mistake...we agree that in 2012 MT was the clear #1....not even a close second. But I cannot disagree more with the rest of your points and I think you are not going back far enough either. I will preface this by saying MT is a top 3 program for past 6-7 years.
Lets look at this
2010-Lost Champ to St Marks and no shame there as that Spartan squad was easily one of the top 3 teams to ever win a chip'
2011- Lost to Newark 27-14 but 2 games later in title bout, they barely escaped 27-23 to win it all.
2012- One of the other top 3 teams to ever win it all!
2013- Sals handles the Cavs in regular season 24-13 and then 23-7 in title game. MT gave Sals nothing-Sals took it!
2014- Another season where point system allows MT to get to the title game and lost to WP (no shame everybody did)....but everyone also knew the title game was played a week earlier.

Back to my point....the Cavs were the best team in the state for 2 years-they won it....but 2012 is the only Cavs team where it was crystal clear.

JMHO

Mob....Make no mistake...we agree that in 2012 MT was the clear #1....not even a close second. But I cannot disagree more with the rest of your points and I think you are not going back far enough either. I will preface this by saying MT is a top 3 program for past 6-7 years.
Lets look at this
2010-Lost Champ to St Marks and no shame there as that Spartan squad was easily one of the top 3 teams to ever win a chip'
2011- Lost to Newark 27-14 but 2 games later in title bout, they barely escaped 27-23 to win it all.
2012- One of the other top 3 teams to ever win it all!
2013- Sals handles the Cavs in regular season 24-13 and then 23-7 in title game. MT gave Sals nothing-Sals took it!
2014- Another season where point system allows MT to get to the title game and lost to WP (no shame everybody did)....but everyone also knew the title game was played a week earlier.

Back to my point....the Cavs were the best team in the state for 2 years-they won it....but 2012 is the only Cavs team where it was crystal clear.

JMHO
Not sure about the whole "point system allowed Cavaliers into the Chip" thing. Middletown blasted a pretty good Sussex Tech team in the Semis to get into the finals!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT