ADVERTISEMENT

Why UD?

Ikeyfbst2

All-Conference
Sep 11, 2015
You know, more than a few people down here in Sussex County asked me if the championship game was at DSU again this year. I explained that it was up at UD and had been for a couple of years. So basically, there will be no casual representation from Sussex County at UD for the D-2 Championship Game. It is a shame that the DIAA has placed this event 65 miles from the stadium of the top seed in D-2. This needs to end, the game needs to be at DSU. If not, it should be held at the home stadium of the highest seed. After all, if Saint Georges is good enough to host a semi-final game, why isn't a top flight facility like Woodbridge allowed to host the final?

Reactions: OTS-59
You know, more than a few people down here in Sussex County asked me if the championship game was at DSU again this year. I explained that it was up at UD and had been for a couple of years. So basically, there will be no casual representation from Sussex County at UD for the D-2 Championship Game. It is a shame that the DIAA has placed this event 65 miles from the stadium of the top seed in D-2. This needs to end, the game needs to be at DSU. If not, it should be held at the home stadium of the highest seed. After all, if Saint Georges is good enough to host a semi-final game, why isn't a top flight facility like Woodbridge allowed to host the final?
UD Stadium is the premier stadium in the State of Delaware. Last year, for example, Delaware State would have struggled to house the crowd that attended the DI game. whereas UD comfortably was able to accommodate.
My understanding is that a contract was signed to allow for the use of the facilities without prior knowledge of what team would be the top seed. Several years ago, before my participation on this Site and when Delaware actually fielded a respectable team, there was a certain population of folks who couldn't understand why UD would not allow the state to use the facilities for the football championship. Today we are questioning why UD is the venue of choice. Regardless of the direction taken by the DIAA there will always be detractors. Personally I don't think a 65 mile drive up Rt13/1 is that challenging considering the drive folks take to attend the PA state championship games as well as other championships conducted in surrounding states. Just my two cents which is probably what it is really worth.

UD Stadium is the premier stadium in the State of Delaware. Last year, for example, Delaware State would have struggled to house the crowd that attended the DI game. whereas UD comfortably was able to accommodate.
My understanding is that a contract was signed to allow for the use of the facilities without prior knowledge of what team would be the top seed. Several years ago, before my participation on this Site and when Delaware actually fielded a respectable team, there was a certain population of folks who couldn't understand why UD would not allow the state to use the facilities for the football championship. Today we are questioning why UD is the venue of choice. Regardless of the direction taken by the DIAA there will always be detractors. Personally I don't think a 65 mile drive up Rt13/1 is that challenging considering the drive folks take to attend the PA state championship games as well as other championships conducted in surrounding states. Just my two cents which is probably what it is really worth.
Last year, the crowd would have been much smaller if the game had been held at DSU. The contract was signed, because UD started to suck and has not been making the playoffs for a few years. That is what this is all about.For years they wanted nothing to do with Delaware HS ball.

Last edited:
Last year, the crowd would have been much smaller if the game had been held at DSU. The contract was signed, because UD started to suck and has not been making the playoffs for a few years. That is what this is all about.For years they wanted nothing to do with Delaware HS ball.
I agree 100% with your comment about the contract but stand pat with my statement that Del State would not have had the facilities to house the crowd that attended last year's D1 final. That crowd, particularly the Smyrna faithful, would have traveled 100 miles maybe a 1000 to see the replay of the early season shootout.

I agree 100% with your comment about the contract but stand pat with my statement that Del State would not have had the facilities to house the crowd that attended last year's D1 final. That crowd, particularly the Smyrna faithful, would have traveled 100 miles maybe a 1000 to see the replay of the early season shootout.
Yes, but that was because they held two games in the same day. That was the onlyt reason the crowd was so large. The truth is, the DIAA sucked up to UD. There is no other way to paint it.

Why not UD?

The facility is better and better equipped to handle everything involved in a championship game.

It's really an easy choice .
Not true, if that was the case why was it held at DSU for all those years with the DIAA saying it was perfect?

Yes, but that was because they held two games in the same day. That was the onlyt reason the crowd was so large. The truth is, the DIAA sucked up to UD. There is no other way to paint it.
The majority of the folks that attended the DI game left before the start of the DII game. (too cold!) The main event that drew the large crowd, the majority of which was donned in red, was Salesianum vs. Smyrna. My belief is that this year's D1 game will have a similar crowd mostly curious to watch two undefeated behemoths do battle. In spite of my comments I do agree that some consideration should be given to scheduling the game at a site that it is easily accessible by the entire state.

Not true, if that was the case why was it held at DSU for all those years with the DIAA saying it was perfect?

They lied.

Seriously though . If the Smyrna crowd from last year shows up that alone would be too much for Delstate.

Kinda the same reason UD will never play in Dover. Facility is too small.

Reactions: runningman12001
If my memory is correct, the last time it held a high school playoff game the teams and fans trashed the facility and caused thousands dollars worth of damage. Therefore the switch to DSU. I too wish UD was never an option, DSU has more of a playoff atomsphere when it comes to high school, their rules especially weren't as strict as UD. The AD at the time swore he'd never host another one.

As we all know, time, brings change and the new ADs realize it's a great way to draw in some revenue so hence why it's back. (Not to mention, the Dover shopping area was "whining" about their Christmas shopping parking being taken up by a high school game)

If it's gonna stay at UD, I think it needs to be reevaluated and have both games different days. One Friday night and one Saturday night. But they won't do it.....cost too much, and DIAA is too cheap.

While I can see why DIAA likes the current setup and it does have the upside of plenty of room at UD, the atmosphere is not conducive to the Delaware high school game as the place is too big. Part of the fun was having everybody packed in together, getting there early for a good seat, easier access to your team after the game, etc. Last year's Smyrna crowd is the exception rather than the norm. And honestly it sucks to have to go all the way to Newark for the game when there's a perfectly good solution in Dover. A bit off topic, but not so bad for one day of football but REALLY sucks for downstate fans/teams come basketball tourney time when several rounds are up there.

Having graduated from both institutions and worked at one for the last twenty years (DSU), I think the championships are right were they should be. A team in Texas or California would need a supply of Kleenex (wipes probably more appropriate) if it was announced that their championship was only 70 miles away. I'm not that interested in the comforts or dynamics of the fans/parents. I think the student athletes deserve to play in the biggest and best venue possible. For 90% of them, it will probably be the only time they get to do so.

I always liked the atmosphere at DelState, even though it was about a 60-mile drive from north Wilmington. Sallies and St. Mark's played there in 2009 on a nice frosty evening. The biggest problem there, however, is parking. I remember an announcement one year that cars parked at one place were going to be towed, so you had people climbing or squeezing through the chain-link fence to move their cars because the walk to the DSU entrance was a few hundred yards in the other direction. Also, the bathrooms and concessions at DelState were not very good.

Once UD installed turf, it was a matter of time before DIAA moved the games there. For most players, it is their only chance to play in that kind of atmosphere, on the state's biggest stage. Plus the stadium has plenty of parking, concessions, bathrooms, etc.

Also off-topic, but HCS mentioned the basketball tournament at UD. A few years ago, Delaware State asked for state funds to help build an arena on campus, somewhere along the lines of 9-12,000 seats. Everyone laughed at them, but the idea was great. Dover could have been the host of the basketball tournament with double the capacity of the Bob Carpenter Center, and the arena could have hosted concerts, minor-league hockey and other events. Too bad it never went anywhere.

Wtf. Are we really crying about a 90 minute drive? From Woodbridge it's less than that. This state is so f&$king spoiled. In Maryland all 4 games are played in Annapolis. Guess what! Navy has a conference championship game so you know what they did? Pushed the entire playoff finals back a week. Elkton is playing in the 1A game Saturday and it's 90 minutes away. The team they play is also 90 min away. The schools are less than 2 hours from each other. Try some other bigger mid west states and see how far they travel for states.
If you really think DSU is a better venue than UD then please PM me your weed guys phone number. DSU sucked when it was there. Parking sucked and stadium was too crowded. And having it at a high school? Wow that's just a dandy idea. LOL. Let's wait til we hear all the crying about people not able to get into see the game.
People make the drive from Newark to the beaches every damn day over the spring and summer. It's a damn 90 minute ride. Put on your big boy pants, get in your Sebring Coupe and make the drive. Hell I wish I was going to the game and I'm about as far from there as you get in Delaware.
I'll be driving 2.5 hours to Virginia for a wrestling tournament. A regular season tournament to open the season. Want to trade drives @Ikeyfbst2 ?

He only talking about having the d2 championship game at dsu for Woodbridge and Friends not the d1 game that would make sense those two teams meeting in the middle.

Wtf. Are we really crying about a 90 minute drive? From Woodbridge it's less than that. This state is so f&$king spoiled. In Maryland all 4 games are played in Annapolis. Guess what! Navy has a conference championship game so you know what they did? Pushed the entire playoff finals back a week. Elkton is playing in the 1A game Saturday and it's 90 minutes away. The team they play is also 90 min away. The schools are less than 2 hours from each other. Try some other bigger mid west states and see how far they travel for states.
If you really think DSU is a better venue than UD then please PM me your weed guys phone number. DSU sucked when it was there. Parking sucked and stadium was too crowded. And having it at a high school? Wow that's just a dandy idea. LOL. Let's wait til we hear all the crying about people not able to get into see the game.
People make the drive from Newark to the beaches every damn day over the spring and summer. It's a damn 90 minute ride. Put on your big boy pants, get in your Sebring Coupe and make the drive. Hell I wish I was going to the game and I'm about as far from there as you get in Delaware.
I'll be driving 2.5 hours to Virginia for a wrestling tournament. A regular season tournament to open the season. Want to trade drives @Ikeyfbst2 ?
Yes, you're one person who takes their wrestling seriously, enjoy the ride. Trust me, I have traveled much further than 2.5 hours to watch the athletic events I enjoy. My point is that we are in the minority, the casual fans down here should not have to travel up the entire State just to watch a football game, when there is a usable venue smack dab in the middle of it. Nor should the people from the north have to travel the length of the State if the was a venue in Delmar for example.

Reactions: myrealname
We didn't have a 90 minute ride, and happened to be on the right end of the chip last year, but I don't think it would've been the same experience as DSU. We have spectated a handful of finals there. As a parent/spectator, UD is definitely the best place to have this event...I've never asked the players and coaches opinions.

I see the gripe geographically which is aided by the stupid upstate vs. downstate thing. I get that but that's part of what fueled the Smyrna community to shut down businesses and help set an attendance record. Let's hope WB does the same.

By the way, my bro in law drove my nephew to Buffalo recently for a REGULAR SEASON LEAGUE game in club soccer. I'm not gonna mention this particular topic to him.

The big shame for Woodbridge/Friends is that almost everyone will leave from the D1 game. Just like last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: runningman12001
@Ikeyfbst2 the things we do for kids. On the opposite end I've been fortunate that diaa has held the state wrestling champs at cape the past 3 or 4 years. While the northern kids kids and fans were driving 90 min each way we all got to drive 10 minutes and sleep in our own beds. I'm sure they don't like that. This year it's in Dover at DHS which makes sense. Never been to the school so not sure how the facilities are, but cape was always great for many reasons.

The big shame for Woodbridge/Friends is that almost everyone will leave form the D1 game. Just like last year.
Thats my plan.. Go to the D1 game and watch D2 on NFHS.. Not because of interest just with my back 3 hours in stadium seating is all I can handle.. They don't allow re-entry at the HS games your stuck there from 1 to 8:30.. Really don't want to have to spend UD prices for stadium food.. If you could leave and go to TGIF's or somewhere between to refuel and sit in a comfy seat for a bit I could make it back.. I guess I could but just pay again to get back in but,, probably will just go home and watch D2 on NFHS in my comfy chair with a beverage o_O

Last edited:
@Ikeyfbst2 the things we do for kids. On the opposite end I've been fortunate that diaa has held the state wrestling champs at cape the past 3 or 4 years. While the northern kids kids and fans were driving 90 min each way we all got to drive 10 minutes and sleep in our own beds. I'm sure they don't like that. This year it's in Dover at DHS which makes sense. Never been to the school so not sure how the facilities are, but cape was always great for many reasons.
The Dover facility is very nice, parking was pretty crowded for the Henlopen title games last year, but I really like the gym. Cape really lent itself to the wrestling tournament, I really like the feel of that gym. I believe Dover is much more practical from a logistical standpoint however. From the aspect of fans, the number that follow wrestling is much smaller, so I don't know if you can compare the two geographic locations. The fans of the teams are going to be there, that is a given.

lol yep.. when my Son was playing travel baseball we went all over the damn place in the summer.. hotels, food, etc... was nothing to spend 10k a summer for a dang ten year old to play baseball.. insanity.. your kid try's out for one of these teams and makes the squad.. You get about 2 minutes of a sense of pride then they tell you its 1600 to play on the team, then lil johnny tells you he needs a three hudred and some odd dollar bat.. Your 2g's into it and they haven even had a practice yet lol

It was a happy day when he turned twelve and told me he didn't like baseball anymore said it was boring.. I threw a party woo hoo lol

Last edited:
The Dover facility is very nice, parking was pretty crowded for the Henlopen title games last year, but I really like the gym. Cape really lent itself to the wrestling tournament, I really like the feel of that gym. I believe Dover is much more practical from a logistical standpoint however. From the aspect of fans, the number that follow wrestling is much smaller, so I don't know if you can compare the two geographic locations. The fans of the teams are going to be there, that is a given.
DSU couldn't police the tailgating and drinking.. It was crazy.. Drunks crammed in that place, fans of the same team fist fighting in the stands etc.. it was a mess

dang its not at Cape this year? We enjoy going down there seeing the Ocean, getting something to eat at Bethany Blues or Green Turtle on the boardwalk.. nice little trip.Cape did a great job with the tournament as well. oh well guess I have to start seeing where there is to eat in Dover..:mad:

I was going to comment about DIAA state wrestling championships. I've coached prob 28 years now and was there as a wrestler a couple of times, so in the span of 33 years I've got to sleep in my own bed one time and that was the year it was at St Marks. I loved the facilities at Cape, but the ride home Saturday night after two longs days in the gym was a pain. Glad to hear that Dover is nice yet we will still be in a hotel. I'm used to it after all of those years.

Now back to football and locations of tournaments. I prefer UD over Del State for many reasons. Like RR said the drunks were like I've never seen at a HS event the few times I was at DSU and I've seen Sparty at a wrestling tournament or two so that says a lot! Lol. We were so crammed into the stands, security seemed overwhelmed and just wasn't a fan. Plus the walk back to our car that seemed like a mile away in the rain was not fun. I get that it sucks for people that have a long ride, but we really are fortunate here in Delaware. Even going from Seaford to Claymont is only a two hour ride. Imagine California, Texas or Florida where it's not logistically possible for many fans to attend no matter where it's held.
Personally I wish Delaware had a true sports and entertainment venue that was both economically generous with HS sports and mid state. UD charges a fortune for the Beast Of the East to use the a BOB. I'm going to guess they aren't very different for the football championships, but I could be wrong. Would be nice if they maybe let DIAA member schools volunteer for various events throughout the year in exchange for use of the facilities.
Good luck to all four teams!

Only 2.5 hour trip for a wrestling tournament?? I don't miss those days. Hurrying to get there and hearing whistles blowing outside as we were walking in the gym hoping you didn't miss his first match after a long drive.

maxresdefault.jpg

Only 2.5 hour trip for a wrestling tournament?? I don't miss those days. Hurrying to get there and hearing whistles blowing outside as we were walking in the gym hoping you didn't miss his first match after a long drive.
That situation is even worse when you're supposed to be in there blowing a whistle too!

Reactions: concord87
lol yep.. when my Son was playing travel baseball we went all over the damn place in the summer.. hotels, food, etc... was nothing to spend 10k a summer for a dang ten year old to play baseball.. insanity.. your kid try's out for one of these teams and makes the squad.. You get about 2 minutes of a sense of pride then they tell you its 1600 to play on the team, then lil johnny tells you he needs a three hudred and some odd dollar bat.. Your 2g's into it and they haven even had a practice yet lol

It was a happy day when he turned twelve and told me he didn't like baseball anymore said it was boring.. I threw a party woo hoo lol
Imagine 15+ years of wrestling tournaments and 5+ years of travel baseball with three boys in sometimes different states on the same weekend. Indianapolis for a week of wrestling, all over the east coast for baseball and wrestling. Football season is the only time I'm guaranteed to stay in-state. Championships in Newark...I'll take it!

Imagine 15+ years of wrestling tournaments and 5+ years of travel baseball with three boys in sometimes different states on the same weekend. Indianapolis for a week of wrestling, all over the east coast for baseball and wrestling. Football season is the only time I'm guaranteed to stay in-state. Championships in Newark...I'll take it!
:eek:

After the 1974 St. Championship game (St. Marks beat Christiana) some St. Marks kids got a little exuberant. They apparently ripped out a couple of toilets and trashed some hedges along the sidelines. That was 42 years ago.

I like the UD venue but realize it could be an inconvenience for folks below Blackbird Creek..

Fellows, you all can decide on where it should be on who has the best places to eat. I will have to give t to you did not see one post on places to eat. Good job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT