ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Henlopen North Preview

oldskool42

In the weight room getting big
Apr 30, 2012
Tech (2015 record 14-4). #7 Seed in 2015 playoffs, but lost in first round to Cape 8-4. History - Tech has made it to the past 2 playoffs, but lost both in the first round. The past 8 seasons they have had winning records with a total record of 106 wins and 41 losses but have only made it to semi finals twice, losing both times to St Marks. Key Losses – Only 3 seniors graduated. Key Returns – Colin Bergh (2016 Villanova commit) 2nd Team All State Catcher as well as Hearn and Hill

Schedule – One of the toughest in Hen North as they play Sals and St Marks. They start up with Central & Milford to set the tone for the season.

Overall – Return most of a 14-4 team from 2015. Should be the tops in the Hen. North. Prediction 14-4, high seed.

Smyrna (2015 record 12-6) #14 seed in 2015 playoffs, lost to Caravel 6-1 in first round. History - They made the last two playoffs, losing in the first round in 2015 to Caravel and losing in the 2nd round in 2014 to Caravel. They have had 4 straight winning seasons after a lot of losing seasons prior to that. Key Losses – only 4 seniors lost to graduation including Everage, pitcher Key Returns – Ryan Seymour (Del State commit) 1st Team All State 2B, Jared Gillis (Del State commit) 2nd Team All State 3b, Dulin. A lot of pitching is back.

Schedule – Smyrna has one of the tougher schedules in the state/conference with 8 games against playoff teams from last year and 14 games against teams with .500 or better records. They start with 2 South teams, but then play Appo and Dover after that to start.

Overall – A lot of returning players coming back including most of bats and some pitching. Projection 12-6. Playoffs.

Dover(2015 record 14-4) – 2015 Playoffs #5 seed. Beat DMA and Hodgson, but lost to Appo in Semi finals.
History – Dover has made it to the past 6 playoffs, with a record of 79-29 in that time period, losing in the Semi-finals the past 3 seasons. Key Losses – Dakota Graham 1st Team All State OF, Kendall Small 2nd Team All State Utility Player, Jared Rowley Pitcher All State Honorable Mention, and 8 other seniors from a 26 man roster. Main two starters were Rowley & Small. Key Returns – Hutchin (2016 UD Committ & Lawson (2016 Delstate commit)

Schedule – Their schedule is the weakest of Henlopen North only playing 5 playoff teams from 2015 where all other Hen North teams are playing 7 or 8. Lighter schedule early on with no playoff opponents in the first 5 games.

Overall – Lost a lot of pitching but have a couple of good returners and a slightly easier schedule in the conference. Prediction 12-6, playoffs.

Cape (2015 record 11-7). Runners up in 2015. As #10 seed knocked off Sallies & Caravel. Lost to Appo in championship game 10-2. History - 2015 was Cape’s first playoff appearance in many years despite having a .500 or above record in 4 of the past 5 years. Key Losses – Cape graduated 6 of its 15 players on varsity in 2015 including 1st team All State SS Vitella, 2nd team All State 1b Kwan, Kennedy and leading pitcher McCoy. Key Returns - Gelof (2018 UVA commit), Elliot

Schedule - One of the tougher ones in the state with games against 8 playoff teams from 2015. Start tough with 4 of first 6 games against playoff teams including @Appo and @ Caravel.

Overall – young arms, lost a lot of bats. Prediction 11-7 playoffs.

Polytech (2015 record 9-8) Disappointing season in 2015, lost a lot of close games. History – has a record of 143-84 over the past 12 years including all but 2 winning seasons in that period. They are 1-5 in their playoff history losing their most recent playoff game in 2013 in the first round. Key Losses – 5 seniors to graduation including main starter Hanhauser. Key Returns – Haas (pitcher), Rivera, Olshenske, Chasanov

Schedule – Tough schedule with 7 playoff teams from 2015 but start light with games against IR, Lake, Charter, Glasgow & Seaford in their first 7 games.

Overall – Return some players, should be decent but tough in Henlopen North. Prediction 10-8 on the playoff bubble.

CR (2015 record 10-8) Decent team in 2015 but lost several close games and went 2-7 in the middle of the season. History – They have no losing seasons in the past 12 seasons with a record of 154-75 which is tops of all Henlopen teams and 8th best of all teams in that time period. They were last in the playoffs in 2013 and actually got to Semi finals in 2011. Key Losses – Tim Haugh 2nd Team All State DH, 10 other seniors including both starting pitchers Kapp, Williams and several bats as well. Key Returns – Quintin Ivy 1st Team All State 1B (George Washington commit)

Schedule – One of the more difficult schedules with 8 games against playoff teams from 2015. They have 4 playoff teams in the first 6 games. Prediction 10-8 on the playoff bubble.

Central(2015 record 12-6) #15 seed in 2015 playoffs, lost in first round to Sallies 5-2. History – Lost the past 2 years in the first round of the playoffs (Sallies, Caravel). They have had a .500 or better record the past 10 seasons with a record of 122-64. They have only 1 championship back in 1989. Key Losses – lost 12 seniors including all their pitching.

Schedule –Tough schedule including an opener at Tech.

Overall – A lot of losses from graduation. Could be a tough year. Prediction 8-9

Reactions: TouchThemAll
Dover won't get 12 wins. Alone in the Conference they have Smyrna, Tech, Cape and Poly who they will have problems with. Smyrna plays 4 tough games outside of Conference with Appo, St.Marks, Caravel and Middletown. Then you factor in the conference 12 wins is accurate for them. Tech also does with Sallies, W.Penn, St.Marks and Middletown. Which could be 4 losses right there. Then I'm positive they won't go undefeated in Conference play. The Henlopen North beats down on each other. Tech I say has 13 wins. Polytech plays Glasgow, Charter and Archmere. Also teams like Public Safety and Security. Really shouldn't have any losses outside of Conference besides Archmere. Then again Conference may hurt them against Tech and Smyrna. Lost to Cape and Tech last year in extra innings. Got blown out against Smyrna. Beat Dover 3-2. Should be around 12-13 wins. Cape has Middletown, Salllies, Appo, Caravel and St.Marks which is brutal. Record might be right with only 11 wins but wouldn't want to met them come playoff time. Especially the run they put on last year. Beat everyone in Conference besides Dover and Central. Both teams lost a lot. Beat Tech twice. Beat Poly in extra. Beat CR and Smyrna easily should be exciting for them.

Great preview , thanks for all your info , Henlopen looks wide open can't wait to see all the kids on the field , good luck to everyone and hope they all stay injury free

SussexCountyFair...my thoughts on Dover's 12 wins was this.

6-1 vs Hen South - The South isnt very strong
W Easton
W Charter
W A.I.
Split with Parkside and Decatur

Thats 10-2 before Henlopen North games. So i figured maybe 2-4 against Hen North. That gets them 12.

I don't think Dover is a top 10 team, but they will be decent and i don't think it would be too hard to get to 12 wins with that schedule. Honestly I was thinking 10-12 wins, but got influenced by history...they haven't had less than 12 wins since 2009.

Reactions: DoverSenator
Great previews by the way really enjoyed reading them all. I wasn't sure about any of the Maryland teams. You're right if the Maryland teams aren't as strong as I thought. I don't see them losing any games besides conference games unless they bad. They did lose a lot but return two solid pitches which is always nice. I will say Milford might give them a run outside the North that's only team that looks decent there. Only thing I saw was with Polytech only at 10 wins with arguably an easier out of conference schedule then Dover. Plus overall they should better then Dover. I think it between Tech Cape Smyrna and Polytech.

Dover should be decent. I think a lot of people are thinking because of everyone they lost Coach Gordon won't have these boys ready to play. It's not their regular attitude that they are better then everyone but they will still carry a chip on there shoulder.
1.Tech
2.Smyrna
3.Polytech
4.Dover
5.Cape
6.CR
7.Central

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT