2017 University of Delaware Women's Soccer Report

dawrestling

Top 100 Prospect
May 20, 2007
Fallbrook, CA
www.302sports.com
------ Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 7:47 PM
Subject: DELAWARE WOMEN'S SOCCER: Delaware 2, Marist 1 (2 OT)
To:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Date: September 1, 2017

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. -- Junior Hannah Specht lead the University of Delaware women’s soccer team to a 2-1 double overtime victory at Marist Friday night, scoring a pair of goals.

Specht scored the ‘golden goal’ winner 41 seconds into the second overtime period on a perfect shot from distance that bent over Marist goalie Bianca Furci.

On the winner, Riley Dixon made a nice run into traffic ultimately flicking the ball to Specht who muscled past a defender to create space. The space allowed the Syracuse transfer the ability to release a powerful shot that ultimately evaded the Marist goalkeeper.

The West Chester, Pa. native added her first goal of her Delaware career in the 12th minute to give the Blue Hens (1-2-1) the early 1-0 advantage. Marist (2-3) added a free kick goal in the 85th minute to send the game into overtime.

Delaware outshot Marist (2-3) 15-11, taking seven corners to Marist’s one.

Redshirt senior Kailyn Rekos made her return to the lineup, recording a pair of saves.

Head Coach Mike Barroqueiro:

“I’m incredibly proud of this group,” the head coach said. “Sometimes we don’t make it easy for ourselves and we definitely have things to clean up in our play, but the one thing we’re developing in excess is heart. This group is really learning to embrace adversity and use it as a tool to help us be our best. We gave up a late goal and most teams would have folded with disappointment. We played our best soccer in overtime.”

Delaware earned its first victory of the season, and is unbeaten in its last two matches.
The Blue Hens are now 1-1-1 in overtime this season.
Barroqueiro earned his first career Delaware victory.
Dixon tallied her first career collegiate point. Specht recorded her first two career goals.
Delaware improves to 3-0 all-time versus Marist.
Two of Delaware’s three victories over Marist have ended in double OT.

MEDIA INFORMATION: Contact Andrew Stern | Anwstern@udel.edu | Office: 302-831-6519 | Cell: 914-589-9666

Andrew Stern

Athletic Communications Intern (Base, Row, S&D, MWSoc)

University of Delaware

Bob Carpenter Center, 631 South

College Avenue

Newark, DE 19716

O-302.831.6519 | C-914-589-9666

GO HENS!

www.bluehens.com

Twitter: @UDBlueHens

Facebook: Delaware Blue Hens

Instagram: UDBlueHens

Snapchat: UDBlueHens

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 1:41 PM
Subject: UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE WOMEN'S SOCCER: Specht, Dixon Earn CAA Player of the Week Honors
To:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Date: September 4, 2017

Blue Hens Specht, Dixon Earn CAA Player of the Week Honors

RICHMOND, Va. -- Blue Hens junior Hannah Specht and freshman Riley Dixon have earned Colonial Athletic Association women’s soccer Player of the Week honors the conference announced Monday.

Dixon (San Diego, Calif./Rancho Bernando) was named the CAA Rookie of the week, while Specht (West Chester, Pa./West Chester East) was selected as the conference overall player of the week.

On Friday, Specht scored a pair of goals in Delaware’s 2-1 victory over Marist. After getting the Hens on the board first in the 12th minute, Specht rocketed home a Dixon pass just 41 seconds into double overtime to give UD their first victory of the season. The goals were the Syracuse transfers first two career goals.

Sunday it was Dixon’s turn to tally the game winner, as the California native scored the golden goal from about 20 yards out three minutes into the double overtime period.

Specht is Delaware’s first Player of the Week honoree since Madison Brosler Sept. 25, 2016. Dixon is first Rookie of the Week selection since Riley Curtin on Sept. 7, 2015. Dixon and Specht share this week’s awards with College of Charleston’s Rio Speller-Drews.

MEDIA INFORMATION: Contact Andrew Stern | Anwstern@udel.edu | Office: 302-831-6519 | Cell: 914-589-9666

Andrew Stern

University of Delaware

College Avenue

Newark, DE 19716

GO HENS!

www.bluehens.com

Date: Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 5:23 PM
Subject: UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE WSOC: Blue Hens 1, UMass 1
To:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Date: September 8, 2017

Lead Equalizer Pushes Blue Hens to 1-1 Draw at UMass

AMHERST, Mass. -- The University of Delaware women’s soccer team extended its unbeaten streak to four-matches Friday afternoon drawing with host UMass 1-1. After falling behind 1-0, senior Krista Trinidad tallied an 83rd-minute goal that pushed the Hens to their fourth consecutive positive result.

UMass (1-3-1) struck first Friday when freshman Jenny Hipp tallied her first career goal in the 77th minute of the match. Just six minutes later, Delaware (2-2-2) found the equalizer when Trinidad made a beautiful run into the opposing third. When Trinidad entered the 18-yard box, she was able to pry the ball loose from Minutewoman keeper Cassidy Babin and fired a shot into the left-hand side of the wide open net.

In the tie, goalie Kailyn Rekos had seven saves. Trinidad recorded six of Delaware’s eight shots for the match.

"This was a hard fought draw on the road. We started the game very slow and to be fair, probably wasted an entire half. I thought the kids responded well to the challenge in the second half. We are still learning how to put together complete performances but to be able to learn while we gut out results is telling of how deep this team can dig when they need to. We're excited to get back home and regroup for Monday."

HEN SCRATCHINGS:

• Delaware improves to 2-1-2 in overtime matches this season.
•The Blue Hens are now 1-1-2 on the road this season.
•Delaware is unbeaten in four consecutive matches for the first time since 2015.
•Five of Delaware’s seven goals this season have been scored in the 70th minute or later, and UD has scored after the 80th minute in four consecutive matches.
•Trinidad scored her first goal since Sept. 2, 2016, against Princeton, and has recorded points in back-to-back games.
•Rekos earned her 48th career start which is the second most in program history. She has now played 4,437 minutes in her career, which is the third most in program history.
•Rekos needs just 392 more minutes to move into second place all-time.

MEDIA INFORMATION: Contact Andrew Stern | Anwstern@udel.edu | Office: 302-831-6519 | Cell: 914-589-9666

Andrew Stern

University of Delaware

College Avenue

Newark, DE 19716

GO HENS!

www.bluehens.com

Date: Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 8:51 PM
Subject: UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE WOMEN'S SOCCER: Blue Hens Win 1-0 Overtime Thriller against La Salle
To:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Date: September 15, 2017

Blue Hens Win Senior Night Overtime Thriller Over La Salle, 1-0

NEWARK, Del. -- The University of Delaware women’s soccer program celebrated senior night in style Friday night, defeating La Salle University 1-0 at Stuart and Suzanne Grant Field.

The Blue Hens scored the golden goal two minutes into overtime when Jillian Vassallo drilled a rising shot from 16-yards out into the right-hand side of the net. The goal was her team-leading fifth point of the season.

Delaware (3-3-2) honored eight seniors before the game, as Michelle Burnett, Ari Fryer, Andrea Gunderson, Nicole Liotta, Kailyn Rekos, Krista Trinidad, Gina Tricocci and Abby Thomas all received recognition during the ceremony.

Rekos recorded two saves to preserve the shutout for the Blue Hens. In total Delaware outshot La Salle (5-2-1) 9-6.

“La Salle is a great team, and they’re really well coached. I think Paul Royal is one of the best coaches in the country. We knew that they were going to be prepared and hard to play against. We challenged our girls to be better in terms of possession than we were against Penn. We wanted them to be more physical and more willing to deal with the physical aspects of the game. I thought we did both of those things tonight, so I was happy. La Salle definitely had their chances toward the end of regulation, but I thought we had chances too. I thought both teams were really good tonight and were going at each other. I felt like it was fairly even. Once we get to overtime right now we have so much confidence, and that’s a great time to have confidence. Jill scored a great goal tonight. She’s good around the goal and we know that. Being able to release her and get her to go a bit higher and get her closer to the goal was a big part of what we were trying to do. We talked to her before the overtime about trying to get a bit higher. She did a great job tonight.”

On the seniors:

“I think right now the product on the field is a different product. It’s a changed product. We don’t have that without the senior class. They were integral to us building a program here. They bought into what we were trying to do since day one and they’ve been amazing. There’s nothing I can say that can properly express how I feel about those kids, how much they’ve given us over the nine months. It’s been a short amount of time, but it’s been a lot of heart and a lot of hard work. They’ve been unbelievable.”

On No. 20 Princeton:

“Princeton is going to be a great test for us. They are a really good team and another team that’s unbelievably well coached, and that’s top-20 in the country. Their ranking is very much deserved. This team has always stepped up to the challenges, and I’m excited to see what we do against a good team. We’re a motivated team right now, so that can be a strong thing.”

Sophomore forward Jillian Vassallo:

“I think everyone comes out fired up and ready to go when we play at home, especially when it’s a night game under the lights. I think everyone just gets up for overtime. We’ve had a lot of overtime games so it’s kind of ‘our thing’, and we’re comfortable playing in them. We really pick up the energy in overtime. All it takes is just one goal, and we got the win tonight. It’s huge to have people come off the bench and give a good effort and make big plays. It’s great to have a deep bench that we can count on and draw upon. We know that we can trust everyone on the team.”

On the group of seniors:

“I think every single senior has provided a huge amount of leadership this season. Everyone looks up to them, and we’re all really close. I think the bond we share with the senior’s motivated us to play hard for them and to make this day special for them.”

On the next week:

“I think Sunday would be a big win for us if we can come out and play hard. It’d be a really big step for us. Thursday a win would be a big step because it’s the first game of our conference season. We’re looking to take it one game at a time. Hopefully, we’ll get another couple of wins.”

HEN SCRATCHINGS:

Delaware improves to 2-1 at home this season, with both victories coming in extra-time.
The Blue Hens are now 3-1-2 in overtime this season.
Each of Delaware’s eight games thus far has been decided by one goal.
UD has played six overtime games through the first eight games.
Delaware’s next victory will equal the win total from a season ago.
Rekos recorded her eighth career shutout and first of the season.
Vassallo scored her third career goal and now has a team-best five points.

UPCOMING SCHEDULE (Bold Games at Stuart and Suzanne Grant Stadium):

Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017, at No. 20 Princeton, 4 p.m.
• Thursday, Sept. 21, 2017, vs. Hofstra, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 24, 2017, at Towson, 1 p.m.

MEDIA INFORMATION: Contact Andrew Stern| Anwstern@udel.edu | Office: 302-831-6519 | Cell: 914-589-9666

Andrew Stern

University of Delaware

College Avenue

Newark, DE 19716

GO HENS!

www.bluehens.com

ADVERTISEMENT