ADVERTISEMENT

All State Selections

Who will win Kern, Drake, Pettit, Aloe Duffy?

I am sure that I am missing some quality players...

My vote goes to Andrew Pettit....kid is silky smooth feeding or finishing and rides hard or you couldn't be faulted for picking Mike Drake....such a quick first step, great vision and unfortunately for the rest of us, he is only a Sophomore.

I accidentally sent before finishing....I also think Pettit deserves POY

I assumed as a TH guy, Oldlax, you would vote for Pettit. Obviously, I'm a Sals guy - my vote is for Kern. He has been dominant in goal for Salesianum for three years - Agressive, quick, fearless and a true leader. Pettit was shut down by the Sals defense in the playoffs - with single coverage by a pole. He is a very good player and will do very well at Lehigh as he gets bigger and stronger. Drake is also a very good player and still has room to grow. Besides, he's just a soph. He'll have his shot to come. This year there are more deserving players.

You are correct, as a coach at TH, I would love to see one of my guys honored. I also believe he is a very deserving candidate because of his ability , not where he goes to school.

Andrew has had a great season (95 points)and a career (300 points) that is second to few. He can finish, makes something out of nothing consistently, has great vision and gets his team involved, and is a good kid on and off the field.

With that being said,

I think Kern is a great choice. Great goalie and more importantly a great kid. Huge game against us in the Semis and a wonderful career.

As stated in an earlier thread, I am sure that there are many deserving candidates that I have not mentioned, but I am sticking with Andrew, but would not be upset if it was announced that Kern has been chosen. I believe that both are viable candidates.

Best of luck to all senior players moving on to the next level.

Griff

Both great kids, know them both very well - and have for years. They are the top two candidates in my book as well.

All of the suggestions are great kids and great athletes and are deserving of the recognition. I am surprised no one mentioned Witherell, especially you, Woodenstick. He racked up 85 points this year with a very tough schedule, even after being injured the first three games this season. His field vision, unselfishness, competitiveness, versatility and most importantly, single digit turnovers this season make him a viable candidate in my book. He is the only player mentioned that made 1st Team all-state in two different positions. Guess we will all find out on Tuesday, they are all good players.

No question, ND, he had a great year. No one can argue that. The focus of the earlier discussion was Kern and Pettit. My vote stays with Kern - besides, "defense wins championships." Sals had a number of kids who had a very good year. Well balanced on both ends of the field.

Never thought about the POY being a goalie until you guys mentioned Kern. I would not argue if he was the choice. Has a goalie every been POY?

POY and All Americans posted today. Congrats to Andrew Pettit as POY and to this year's AA's.

All award recipients are posted on the DE Lax Foundation site. Awards dinner Tuesday night in Dover, Blue/White game Wednesday.

As for goalie POY, I'm not sure. Mark Mannos who went on to an incredible career at Drexel may have been. He was a dominant force - large and in charge. I tried to track it down and was unsuccessful.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT