ADVERTISEMENT

All State

Alaxer46

Getting reps on JV
May 27, 2008
All state is decided tonight, here is my prediction for 1st team..

Attack
Chas Robino - Tower Hill
Andrew Blundin - Sallies
Chris Thomson - Archmere

Midfield
Bryan Garrahan - Archmere
Sean Giampietro - Sallies
Cape Midfielder

Defense (one of these will get the LSM spot)
Ryan Kilpatrick - Sallies
Stone Lieberman - Tower Hill
Matt McNeal - Archmere
Brooks Johnson - Caesar Rodney

Any thoughts?
I see the argument for Dillon Walker from Sallies at Attack, and 1st Team All State caliber midfielders were hard to think of too.

I would too, but I know from previous years that DuPont doesn't put underclassmen up for all state. He didn't put Pettit or Robino up for it when they were sophomores, so I seriously doubt he will for Mette.
This post was edited on 6/1 9:57 PM by Alaxer46

Attack seems to be a question. Blundin was hurt for almost half the season. Didn't really score much when he came back. Maybe he is just a easy name to pick for people who did not see him play. Tompson would be a surprise at first team since he is a shooter and not really that skilled with both hands. Pettit rolled through the playoffs. All over the News Journal again for a second year in a row. Walker did a great job for Sallies as well. Beer had a tough year at Tatnall but did the best he could with not much support.

i think the cape goalie has got first team locked up but what about the rest? and schreppler for tower hill had a strong season possibly second or third all state. same for joe oconnell with archmere

I don't think Blundin should be up there with being out for so long. The Sallies coach will put in his bid for him, but I don't believe he deserves it because of his injury. Three Archmiere kids seems a little unreasonable when you have nobody from any other schools especially Friends School. There are many players that should be up there because of how beneficial they were to their team, and also for their skill caliber. Your missing players from Friends stellar Attack and defense, Charters attack men, and many other area's where the players helped their team more then the ones you have listed.

Sorry I left out the goalie Cook from Cape, I think he's got it locked up too. Blundin got 1st team last year, and I think he will get it again despite his injury. Archmere's offense ran mostly through Thomson. I think Pettit will get 2nd team because he is still a junior, only 3 juniors (very good players) got 1st team last year. Coverage in the News Journal really isn't a factor in All State, anyway the NJ is always dominated by articles and pictures of Sallies.
Remember, this is 1st all state, usually dominated by seniors. I think Friends and Charter will be represented in the 2nd, 3rd, and HM teams of all state. Friends had some good defenseman that were sophomores, they won't get 1st team though. I think Rittenhouse for Charter will get 3rd or HM.
This post was edited on 6/1 10:00 PM by Alaxer46

Attack first team is:
Robino
Blundin
Revak
Scrutchfield (cape)

How do so many bad lacrosse players make HM All State?
This post was edited on 6/2 2:22 PM by Tarzan79

Every one almost. None of those kids deserve to be mentioned. Went through the list and not one kid benefited their team to the point where they should be mentioned.

Start with M. Modica from St. E

He is a average player. Throw out the Archmere game and the only other playoff teams he played was DMA, Dover, and Poly. He went 2/1 combined in all three games. He allowed his team to lose 5-4 in OT to Milford!(he went 0/1 in that game) I don't think that is an All State player.

HM All State should be the players that are All State worthy. Position shouldn't matter. This year the attack position was VERY deep.

Wow your going to blast a kid out on StE, really he was there only player. Just like most of the HM players. Put them with other players and there numbers would go up. Remember they are the best on that team so all those playoff teams need to do is face guard and he's done because no one else is ready to step up.
Funny you mentioned Modica though his name has been floating around the coaches circle for sometime. Put him on Sallies he would have led the state in assist.

Leads the state in assists? No way. He is a good player on a bad team.

Sallies 10 all state players and T. Hill got 4? How do you have 10 all state players on one team? Thats part of the problem, too.

http://www.eteamz.com/dellax/files/2011-All-State-Boys.htm

Link to the the All State Teams

MightyMik, you think that if Tommy Morton (Appo) played for Friends he would be the best pole on the team? I saw both teams play, I do not.

Benson from Cape is a name I am surprised not to see. Playing for a top program like that and doing it from the first game throughout the season.

The voters/system is what I don't like. There should be an all state group that handles this not coaches. Ex: A coach might vote for his buddy's player instead of the better player, or might not vote for a player due to personal feelings.

How many coaches actually showed up this year?

Yes I think Morton would have played for Friends this year, don't know about best but definitely good enough to start. You have to remember when there are other elite players on your team it makes you look great.
Benson was very good but think how he would be without Scrutchfield. A lot of the best player are even better because if you focus on them the others will kill you. Most of the HM players don't have that luxury.

The Modica kid is actually real good and deserved the HM. If hes on a decent team hes doing twice as much minimum

I saw Friends play multiple times this year. I also saw Appo play a few times. Morton is not better than Friends' worst varsity pole.

Friends Starting poles are probably the most under- rated players in the state. In the first tower hill game they shut them out to 2 goals. Take that into consideration. Next year they will consist of 3 returning seniors and 1 junior pole. But as far as HM's go, most of the players on that list really do not deserve HM credit for what they have done or how much they have benefited their team.

In my opinion, Beer is probably one of the best Attackmen in the state. His skill is unrivaled but his team is why he is not on 1st team. Rittenhouse is a lot harder to defend then both Thompson and Petit. Sam Davis led and created most of the Offense for the Friends squad. Although Thompson and Petit are good, those 3 players you mentioned are most deserving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT