ADVERTISEMENT

Baynard Plan Delayed?

As a lifelong resident of the city of Wilmington (aside from a 4 year stint in rural Maryland), here's what I believe will happen with this committee in 45 days:

Days 1 to 21 will be a bunch of "What about my entity?" "Eff your entity, MY entity would bring more people to the stadium"

Days 22-31 will be "Okay, let's get down to business"

Days 32-44 will be "Okay, let's really REALLY get down to business"

And on the 45th day of Idiotmas, the consensus will be "Holy sh...we gave away a free 20 million dollars. Maybe Sallies had the best plan after all."

While I like the renderings of the Salesianum plan I wonder if the existing look could be maintained with just the new bleachers and added restroom facilities. Just spruce it up. I also would never want to see the title of Baynard Stadium removed

Simple ... either upgrade / fix/ maintain the facility
..... do away with it and do something else with the land ( even sell it possibly)
Or let someone else to it ( don't look a gift horse in the mouth )
Sounds like a no brainer to me

It really seems as if the City is missing a great opportunity here. If Sals is willing to put up the money for renovations in return for a guaranteed place to play for the next few decades I don't see the problem with it. But I'm also not a city official so...

While I like the renderings of the Salesianum plan I wonder if the existing look could be maintained with just the new bleachers and added restroom facilities. Just spruce it up. I also would never want to see the title of Baynard Stadium removed
That place needs so much. It must have turf. Non-negotiable. Both sides of bleachers need to be replaced. New lights would be brighter and would save money. A concession stand that doesn't cost you an entire quarter waiting in line. You mentioned the restrooms or lack thereof. And I'm curious why you are attached to the Baynard name.

BTW, Idiotmas might replace Festivus as my favorite holiday.

To me, the name Baynard Stadium is just one of those Wilmington traditions that should stay. Plenty of memories for quite a few generations attached to that name for Sals/St. E/Howard football, the old Clippers, Track & Field and back when DSU used to play Cheyney on Labor Day Weekends.

But yes, turf, new bleachers, brighter lights and accessible concessions would fix so much. And to think, Sallies was ready to get started right after football season, but here we are in the beginning of Spring, waiting for the village idiots to come up with a better idea than what was already proposed.

It's Baynard Stadium and should always be Baynard Stadium. I drove by Simon Gratz in Philly yesterday and "Mastery Charter" banners were hanging at each entrance. WTH is it? Something really failed

Eagle, there is part of me that agrees with you in a sentimental kind of way. I don't know who Baynard was. There is the ritzy section of the 9th Ward...Baynard Blvd...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT