ADVERTISEMENT

Baynard Plan Delayed?

@MLV
you want to ride in the Dragon Wagon with Sparty and the posse this weekend?
plenty of room...

Potter doesn't want "old whitey" (Salesianum) helping him out. Trust me that has A LOT to do with this situation. A predominantly white private high school isn't going to have the final say of what goes on in (HIS) city.

If you find the above statement to be offensive or wrong then I suggest you get your big boy pants on and man up.

Well, since I have my "Big Boy" pants on already, let me take a shot. I find the term "whitey" offensive. I don't like it and never will. When that term is used, it paints all people of the same skin pigmentation with the same brush. The term has been often introduced to stir racial tensions. I for one, hope that you will refrain from using it in the future.

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Well, since I have my "Big Boy" pants on already, let me take a shot. I find the term "whitey" offensive. I don't like it and never will. When that term is used, it paints all people of the same skin pigmentation with the same brush. The term has been often introduced to stir racial tensions. I for one, hope that you will refrain from using it in the future.
Don't think Potter is worried about or thinking race, just an old guy that should have taken a moment and thought it out, perhaps he should have just got some more warm milk and a cookie or two

The stadium is a mess, it's falling apart, it's dangerous and in disrepair, the Potter's have been on the city, county, and state payroll for far too many years in far too many jobs, including special consultants gigs and deals for their kids.

Mayor Williams and Jones-Potter had a public falling out in 2013 after he forced her from his cabinet where she was his chief strategist. Williams determined she had abused her authority by arranging police coverage at the Foxtail hip-hop festival her son helped run, leading the city to spend more than $18,000. The event had nearly been cancelled over security concerns.

Jones-Potter is married to state Rep. Charles Potter Jr., who is Williams' cousin. The cousins had long been close political allies before the incident.

The stadium is a mess, it's falling apart, it's dangerous and in disrepair, the Potter's have been on the city, county, and state payroll for far too many years in far too many jobs, including special consultants gigs and deals for their kids.

Mayor Williams and Jones-Potter had a public falling out in 2013 after he forced her from his cabinet where she was his chief strategist. Williams determined she had abused her authority by arranging police coverage at the Foxtail hip-hop festival her son helped run, leading the city to spend more than $18,000. The event had nearly been cancelled over security concerns.

Jones-Potter is married to state Rep. Charles Potter Jr., who is Williams' cousin. The cousins had long been close political allies before the incident.
Fact, I like fact.

Reactions: spartakos
@MLV
you want to ride in the Dragon Wagon with Sparty and the posse this weekend?
plenty of room...

Sorry Sparty....she's busy baking cookies!
old-woman-baking-cakes.jpg

For RR2's posse!
67398IAiW_pirate-flag-cookies_900.jpg

@porky...
WOW
good throw back!!
MLV is the hottest baker North of the Canal..
and her cookies taste unbelievable!!
may have to put you in the Posse...
haaaaahaaa

@porky...
WOW
good throw back!!
MLV is the hottest baker North of the Canal..
and her cookies taste unbelievable!!
may have to put you in the Posse...
haaaaahaaa

Ha,ha,ha I read the board for a long time, but got away from it recently.
After this election I have decided not to take anything seriously.
What happened to Black Doug, he was one of my favorites?

Reactions: spartakos

Sometimes, people needlessly inject race into their posts. It bothers me, too......and, I have a sense of humor.

In my opinion this Baynard delay thing deals with the internal politics of Wilmington. I have to assume reviewing all of this stuff that if it is meant to be it will happen. If Potter can bring $14 to $20 million of public monies to the table he will have Bummy's praise.

I remember back in the day when Brown played their home games on Fridays like at 330 or 400 based on who they were playing. If the Slowskys played Friday night....they would be coming into Baynard as the Bears were leaving... And PS and Wilmington High had their own fields. Howard also used Baynard. When St. Lizzie's started playing football they used Baynard. I consider St. Marks as outsiders since they weren't from the city.

If the Baynard revitalization is off the table because of politics it is a sad commentary.

Last edited:
Sometimes, people needlessly inject race into their posts. It bothers me, too......and, I have a sense of humor.

In my opinion this Baynard delay thing deals with the internal politics of Wilmington. I have to assume reviewing all of this stuff that if it is meant to be it will happen. If Potter can bring $14 to $20 million of public monies to the table he will have Bummy's praise.

I remember back in the day when Brown played their home games on Fridays like at 330 or 400 based on who they were playing. If the Slowskys played Friday night....they would be coming into Baynard as the Bears were leaving... And PS and Wilmington High had their own fields. Howard also used Baynard. When St. Lizzie's started playing football they used Baynard. I consider St. Marks as outsiders since they weren't from the city.

If the Baynard revitalization is off the table because of politics it is a sad commentary.
I've read a number of posts saying Sallies should build their own field but if it was that easy wouldn't they have done it by now?

Take your blinders off guys. I read enough posts on social media to realize the issue does involve race. Sorry you guys can't handle that. Some people feel that Sallies is trying to take something from a certain group of people not realizing that a renovation of Baynard benefits all races and everyone. Do some research on social media. You'll see what I'm talking about. I guess I should write an editorial in the News Journal. Problem is I'd be labeled a racist for having an educated opinion. When guys like Carron Phillips can write whatever he wants in the News Journal blaming other races for everything. Double standard is complete BS.

I still think the deal might get done though. Potter can't be that stupid.

Sorry I shouldn't get political but the city of Wilmington sucks because of people like Charles Potter. Poor leadership at it's finest.

Ok, I'm done.

No offense they suck at their jobs - all of them. Wilmington is a total shit show right now and they are getting involved in what could have been a great deal for the city because it wasn't there idea.

They need to focus on serious issues like the people living on the streets, people getting shot every damn day, etc.

There dumb asses.

Agreed, delawarenole. The concerns Potter voiced are valid on their face - wanting to make sure city groups have enough access to facilities, wanting the city to have some kind of input on the improvements, etc. Problem is he voiced them weeks (or years) too late and now shows himself to be an absolute idiot. To say that he was unaware of the extent of needed repairs and to have not attended early discussions with Sallies and then come in with this is unbelievably absurd and it's shameful that other powers that be in the city allowed him to derail this, esp since all his concerns seem to have been addressed anyway. Not sure if he is driven by greed, ego, race issues or sheer stupidity but his actions are harming city residents and they are the ones who need to hold the decision makers accountable. Assuming he somehow does come up with $20 mil, how many youth programs or community projects could have been started with that money? A nice stadium is a "want" for the city and they have much more important "needs" to focus on.

No real news but there is some optimism in the air because so many people want this to happen.

Mike Purzycki gets sworn in as Mayor tomorrow night. Maybe he is suffering from football related head injury trauma from 50 years ago to want that job.

There may still be a little contention but Bummy sees a happy ending.

No harsh words. No name calling. Take the high road...

I haven't heard anything. My guess is Purzycki is still getting his staff together for other matters (he recently fired the entire WHA board) so Baynard is probably on the back burner. Great job out of Charles Potter Jr.

We've got a Baynard update - and yes, it's just as stupid as turning down a free 20 million dollars:

An 11-member working group has been named by Wilmington Mayor Mike Purzycki to review the next steps forward for Baynard Stadium.

The group has 45 days to develop recommendations, and it will be chaired by Kevin Kelley, the director of the City's Parks and Recreation Department.

State Representative Charles Potter is one of the members. He supported a task force to be put together after then-Mayor Dennis Williams and Salesianum School struck an up to $20 million dollar deal for the school to provide upgrades to Baynard--and get majority control of its use.

The 11 members include city councilmen, state officials, and members of the community, but no one from Salesianum. They weren't asked to ake part in the consideration, according to city officials.

Purzycki said he gave the Baynard Stadium task force some direction.

"We put together a working group that's going to go through all of the details of the original proposal--talk about what the city's limitations and response will be going forward," said Purzycki.

After Salesianum's deal was rejected last winter by Wilmington City Council, a task force was proposed by State Representative Charles Potter and some council members to determine the future of the stadium.

Salesianum would have paid for any upgrades and improvements to Baynard in the deal, but there was some concern among certain members that the city would be frozen out of using Baynard.

"I don't think we ever got much clarification when it was all said and done about what was the truth in this regard," said Purzycki. "There were questions raised about safety--there were questions raised about overall maintenance costs."

Even though the City of Wilmington owns Baynard Stadium--it is managed by the State of Delaware's Division of Parks and Recreation.

The following members will be serving on the Baynard Stadium Working Group:

• Kevin Kelley - Wilmington Director of Parks and Recreation (Chair)
  • Desmond Baker - Principal, Desmond Baker & Associates
  • Raymond Bivens - Delaware State Director of Parks and Recreation
  • Nnamdi Chukwuocha - Wilmington City Council Member, 1st District
  • Ernest "Trippi" Congo - Wilmington City Council Member, 2nd District
  • Demetrius DeRamus Sr. - Youth Football Coach/Organizer, Laborers International Union of North America
  • Charles "Bud" Freel - Wilmington City Council Member, 8th District
  • Earl Jeter – Principal, Jeter and Johnson, LLC
  • Karla Levinson - Attorney , The Levinson Firm and a resident of the Triangle Community
  • Tom Ogden- Deputy Chief of Staff, Mayor’s Office
  • Charles Potter - State Representative, 1st District

I've heard some rumors Sallies was looking at a joint partnership on a project down near the Waterfront. Not sure if there's anything to it, again just a rumor??? Sorry but it will be hilarious if they abandon Baynard all together.

It would have a degree of irony but it would be asinine as Baynard is across the street.

Last edited:
@eagle..
If Mr DelleDonne hard more kids , there would be a Sallies Stadium!!
I'm sure some wealthy Clone will make it happen..

@eagle..
If Mr DelleDonne hard more kids , there would be a Sallies Stadium!!
I'm sure some wealthy Clone will make it happen..
I was referring to REAL movers and shakers. That guy that started the "academy". The one that was buying Raven lavish steak dinners and feeding him and the groupies kool aid. Where is he? I guess we will see him on TV selling "seeds".

eagle. Raven long ago admitted that his perspective on the ministry had changed over a period of time. Yes, he was a true believer but he had wisdom enough to adjust his perspective.

We all have been there.....with women, organizations, corporations, friends....

The Slowskys have enough donors stepping up to the plate that they will have a choice on donors.

Naming rights will be interesting.

An old paisan may shock us by buying the naming rights and having the stadium renamed for a paisan who coached him at Slowskyanum.

eagle. Raven long ago admitted that his perspective on the ministry had changed over a period of time. Yes, he was a true believer but he had wisdom enough to adjust his perspective.

We all have been there.....with women, organizations, corporations, friends....

The Slowskys have enough donors stepping up to the plate that they will have a choice on donors.

Naming rights will be interesting.

An old paisan may shock us by buying the naming rights and having the stadium renamed for a paisan who coached him at Slowskyanum.
Might be the best option.

Thank You.. Mr Bumster .. You said so eloquently what I would like to say.. Times change people change its just what happens... I would love to see a Sallies Stadium next to Frawley .. It would even be cooler if it was used by inner city rec leagues as well. Take that Mr Potter.. Potter Stadium will become a poop dump

Raven, I agree that the riverfront scenario would make a statement. But the school has been across the street from the stadium it has played in for 60 years. It would be a travesty to have your home field anywhere else.

I think the committee will work this out.....the deal makes too much sense for everybody to have it go down the drain....

The committee has a lifespan of 45 days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT