ADVERTISEMENT

Cape at CR

BriggsBeall

moving up to Varsity
Dec 21, 2011
What are the thought on this one? Will this be worth a drive over the canal?

Looks like Cape won easy in Lewes but CR has 6 in a row.

What does CR need to do to have a shot?

CR has played a lot better since the first I agree with that. In the first game Rickards did whatever he wanted honestly, had 26 points against have to find a way to control this time. I'm sure CR gives them a better game this time but I think Cape wins again.

Play defense with their feet not there hands, help and recovery on defense. Set up the offense, 1st game CR got caught up in the run and gun offense, can't do that against cape or they will lose. The guys have to stay in the moment, i.e. Remember their assignments, guys looked lost in the first game. Look it's a team sport so these guys have to trust each other. No one on one situations. And damn please make the basket instead of trying to floss by smacking the back board, gotta take and make the easy shot then hustle back on defense. We could also do a better job of denying the ball inside and then box out....I guess what I'm saying is we need to get back to the basics of unselfish basketball

What are the thought on this one? Will this be worth a drive over the canal?

Looks like Cape won easy in Lewes but CR has 6 in a row.

What does CR need to do to have a shot?

I think this game could go either way but I like CR @ home in this one. They have turned it up a notch here lately getting contributions from more players. Either way the winner of this game should crack the Top 10.

Reactions: 84rider
I'm going to make this bold statement. There is a lot riding on this game. I think the winner of this game represents the Henlopen North for the Conference Championship game, as I think both teams can upset Smyrna. Cape has been getting better as a team now that the offense isn't being ran solely through Rickards. They been having balance scoring. Barnes has been doing a great job distributing ball. I'll go with Cape but in a closer game.

I'm going to make this bold statement. There is a lot riding on this game. I think the winner of this game represents the Henlopen North for the Conference Championship game, as I think both teams can upset Smyrna. Cape has been getting better as a team now that the offense isn't being ran solely through Rickards. They been having balance scoring. Barnes has been doing a great job distributing ball. I'll go with Cape but in a closer game.
Real bold ... Smryna already beat both of them... C.R has no shot against Smryna ... Cape slim shot...

It's pretty much already Smyrna's title for the conference. As much I like both of these teams I don't see either one of them beating Smyrna. I agree though your predictions were definitely bold.

VERY bold...I can't possibly see this happening. Even if Smyrna slips up against CR or Cape that team would have to beat them again in a play-in game for the Henlopen North tiebreaker unless Cape wins out & Smyrna loses to both Cape & CR or some other Henlopen North team..too much to bank on. I would like to see those odds.

the freshman from cape, Barnes has a pure stoke, definitely someone to watch now and in the future, that kid is special !

A lot potential those players from Cape definitely have... as a coach you have to find a way to help your players reach that potential...if not you fail them by not helping their development...Nobody said coaching was easy but its the job you sign up for!

Re has not developed one player that has been at Cape...he cannot connect with the players who do not come from a well off lifestyle. He just won't get it.

Reactions: handsdownmandown
Well I took the posters advice and did go to the game. First time at CR in while...

CR played a good game. They have a good team. They fit in the mix with a lot of other teams this season.

Not as impressed with Cape. They didn't seem to play with much fire. CR looked like they wanted it more.
Maybe just a bad night for the Vikings. They did come back late.

But the most interesting thing was.....

They STILL have that P A guy?? How long has this man been at CR? He must be a legend in Camden!!

Re has not developed one player that has been at Cape...he cannot connect with the players who do not come from a well off lifestyle. He just won't get it.[/QUOTE Cape going out first round... Coach has to go.. Cant control one player all season and now its too late... When you cant get a talented team motivated to play a meaniful game.. Why are u coaching... Watch CR game.. CR beating them off dribble all night long..No adjustments from Coach Re..at least switch to a
Zone.. Wasted year down in Lewes...smh

Mariner middle is undefeated again with less talent this year maybe Cape should consider coach Hazzard Next year will be their best chance of bringing home the trophy.
Politics is not having it.... Coach Re will be there again next year because they will make tourney but 1 and done this year again

Reactions: basketball24/7
Mariner middle is undefeated again with less talent this year maybe Cape should consider coach Hazzard Next year will be their best chance of bringing home the trophy.

I know Mariner's Coach Terry Hazzard personally & he would get the most out of those kids at Cape especially those "who do not come from a well off lifestyle" as it was put. He is a former All State player at Cape who can relate to them as players as well as young men regardless of their background & he also allows his players to play to their strengths. He has Mariner as one of the top middle school teams EVERY year & these are the same kids who end up going to Cape (minus a few who went elsewhere).

I know Mariner's Coach Terry Hazzard personally & he would get the most out of those kids at Cape especially those "who do not come from a well off lifestyle" as it was put. He is a former All State player at Cape who can relate to them as players as well as young men regardless of their background & he also allows his players to play to their strengths. He has Mariner as one of the top middle school teams EVERY year & these are the same kids who end up going to Cape (minus a few who went elsewhere).
I agree and he dont run same boring offense Cape run.. Past ball around 10 Times and then shoot .. Eveybody mad how Rickards how he acting on court... I say this... If you allow a young man do watever ever he wants all season and dont say anything . its all on coach..... Dont be mad with Rickards.. Be mad with coach... Problems happening at Cape would of never happen on Tingle watch.. Cape is a soft team... Period.... Thats because thé coach is coaching soft..

Funny thing...I said this before the season and I was told that Terry Hazzard is just a middle school coach and it doesn't translate to a High School varsity level of basketball. The dumbest comment I've seen in a while but that's what I was told. Mariner has missed a few games due to weather but they are still winning. WHY!!!!???? No Barnes or Kirby no mallet shooting deep 3's no skylar at pg who plays on Jv at cape along with Kirby. So why is Mariner still winning? Guess Hazzard can't coach huh?

Re and other cape high personnel don't want to hear that. You mean Hazzard cares about kids like off the court? lol

I agree and he dont run same boring offense Cape run.. Past ball around 10 Times and then shoot .. Eveybody mad how Rickards how he acting on court... I say this... If you allow a young man do watever ever he wants all season and dont say anything . its all on coach..... Dont be mad with Rickards.. Be mad with coach... Problems happening at Cape would of never happen on Tingle watch.. Cape is a soft team... Period.... Thats because thé coach is coaching soft..

agreed

Funny thing...I said this before the season and I was told that Terry Hazzard is just a middle school coach and it doesn't translate to a High School varsity level of basketball. The dumbest comment I've seen in a while but that's what I was told. Mariner has missed a few games due to weather but they are still winning. WHY!!!!???? No Barnes or Kirby no mallet shooting deep 3's no skylar at pg who plays on Jv at cape along with Kirby. So why is Mariner still winning? Guess Hazzard can't coach huh?
Don't know Re or Hazzard and don't have dog in this fight. Maybe Re is making mistakes, maybe not. Maybe Hazzard would be great, maybe not. I have, however, coached basketball and football at the CYO level, high school JV level, and for many years at the high school varsity level. I can say that winning at the lower levels is much easier than at the varsity level. Many more factors are involved the more you go up in levels. You can win at the lower levels with one stud player, but you can't at varsity level. The game is much more sophisticated at the varsity level. Coaching at the high school varsity level can be very rewarding, but can also be an almost thankless job. Everyone in the stands is a "coach" and knows "more" than the actual coach. I would love to see some of these "coaches in the stands" have to handle all of the intricacies of actually coaching a real varsity game!

I heard Hazzard walks on water and heals lepers too. Give me a break. Re knows the deal. Kids need to keep people out of their ear, listen to the coach, buy in, and they will win plenty of games. No finger pointing, do your job. Simple.

lol sounds good but if you knew Re and his approach to every kid not just a few that he likes you'd understand where the disconnect comes from.

Don't know Re or Hazzard and don't have dog in this fight. Maybe Re is making mistakes, maybe not. Maybe Hazzard would be great, maybe not. I have, however, coached basketball and football at the CYO level, high school JV level, and for many years at the high school varsity level. I can say that winning at the lower levels is much easier than at the varsity level. Many more factors are involved the more you go up in levels. You can win at the lower levels with one stud player, but you can't at varsity level. The game is much more sophisticated at the varsity level. Coaching at the high school varsity level can be very rewarding, but can also be an almost thankless job. Everyone in the stands is a "coach" and knows "more" than the actual coach. I would love to see some of these "coaches in the stands" have to handle all of the intricacies of actually coaching a real varsity game!

Not saying its easy at all but there is a fundamental approach you take when coaching on any level. That's giving respect and holding every kid accountable not one more or less than the other.

Reactions: listening to noise

Well said....alot of people that don't coach look at things in the perspective of 1 or 2 players (the kids that they are personally supporting) while the coach has to look at things from a team aspect. Coaching is more then X's and O's...you have to manage personalities of your players as well. Sometimes it can be a challenge to get players to gel together as 1 unit and put aside personal agendas. And the coaches in the stands aren't at practices and see how kids respond to coaching, corrective criticism, etc. But on the other end of things as a coach you have to bend a little and let kids play their game and be them....then when they get out of hand you can reel them back in and they will and will respect you for it. Coaches and players both and to bend and give a little to meet at a common place that is effective for the team as a whole.

Well said....alot of people that don't coach look at things in the perspective of 1 or 2 players (the kids that they are personally supporting) while the coach has to look at things from a team aspect. Coaching is more then X's and O's...you have to manage personalities of your players as well. Sometimes it can be a challenge to get players to gel together as 1 unit and put aside personal agendas. And the coaches in the stands aren't at practices and see how kids respond to coaching, corrective criticism, etc. But on the other end of things as a coach you have to bend a little and let kids play their game and be them....then when they get out of hand you can reel them back in and they will and will respect you for it. Coaches and players both and to bend and give a little to meet at a common place that is effective for the team as a whole.
You have some good points.

Not saying its easy at all but there is a fundamental approach you take when coaching on any level. That's giving respect and holding every kid accountable not one more or less than the other.
True - respect and accountability have to be at the core of any coach's dealings with his players and his team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT