ADVERTISEMENT

Top teams with NO transfers?

Oct 28, 2023
What are the best teams in the state that don’t have one kid wrestling varsity that did not start at another school and transfer in to their team? Not one transfer. Off the top of my head downstate does Cape have any? Upstate I’m not sure that there are any top teams without one transfer. William Penn?

What are the best teams in the state that don’t have one kid wrestling varsity that did not start at another school and transfer in to their team? Not one transfer. Off the top of my head downstate does Cape have any? Upstate I’m not sure that there are any top teams without one transfer. William Penn?
I could be wrong but I don’t think Penn, Central or DMA have transfers. But I will admit I don’t know all their kids. Sallies & CR varsity I count 1 each and Saint Marks I count 3.

Please note I dont consider 9th graders transfers even if they wrestled high school in 8th at a different school.

I could be wrong but I don’t think Penn, Central or DMA have transfers. But I will admit I don’t know all their kids. Sallies & CR varsity I count 1 each and Saint Marks I count 3.

Please note I dont consider 9th graders transfers even if they wrestled high school in 8th at a different school.
Yeah not sure on DMA. I count 8th graders cause they started at another hs which they could have stayed at. I mean unless that 8th grade year was just for athletics which would be against diaa rules right?😉

I thought one of the central kids started at Tech but I could be wrong. I think st marks has 5. Didn’t spoor start somewhere else? Sallies usually gets one or two it seems. Downstate it seems to happen more now as choice prior to hs. Cape gets the occasional moved in to the area transfer being a beach town.
Doesn’t seem WP or really any upstate public schools get transfers. Lots of moving lately in the upstate private schools it’s seems.

Yeah not sure on DMA. I count 8th graders cause they started at another hs which they could have stayed at. I mean unless that 8th grade year was just for athletics which would be against diaa rules right?😉

I thought one of the central kids started at Tech but I could be wrong. I think st marks has 5. Didn’t spoor start somewhere else? Sallies usually gets one or two it seems. Downstate it seems to happen more now as choice prior to hs. Cape gets the occasional moved in to the area transfer being a beach town.
Doesn’t seem WP or really any upstate public schools get transfers. Lots of moving lately in the upstate private schools it’s seems.
Yes forgot about Spoor because he’s not in current varsity lineup. He started at DMA. I don’t count 8th graders because they aren’t in high school yet. Still in middle school and going through process to decide where to go for high school. You don’t transfer for 9th grade you are starting high school. But we can agree to disagree on our opinions.

And I’m not sure about Central you may be right. And I agree you don’t see many transfers upstate public to public.

Reactions: givemethree
Way back when we saw more parity because you saw less transfers and less private schools. Parents weren’t as able to take kids 20-30 minutes or more to a school out of our feeder school. I don’t recall many “big” transfers. We had the Brown boys go from Laurel to Delmar but don’t know why. Seeing college now with the transfer portal it seems this will just be how it is eventually in hs. Kinda crazy seeing kids who have attended three different high schools but never moved. Wild. Guess it makes it fun too seeing some of these all star esqe teams. Hope to make it over to Cape this year for the state championships.

Reactions: Dewrestling123

I know that DMA doesn't have any transfers. I count 8th graders that wrestled on a high school varsity team and then went to another school at 9th grade. You have Lucian at tower hill last year and now at Sallies, Bakhsh 8th grade at caravel then St. Marks, Ranuto at Red Lion last year and now St. Marks. But if they were at a regular middle school and wrestled on a middle school team and then go to a different high school starting at 9th I wouldn't count that.

I know that DMA doesn't have any transfers. I count 8th graders that wrestled on a high school varsity team and then went to another school at 9th grade. You have Lucian at tower hill last year and now at Sallies, Bakhsh 8th grade at caravel then St. Marks, Ranuto at Red Lion last year and now St. Marks. But if they were at a regular middle school and wrestled on a middle school team and then go to a different high school starting at 9th I wouldn't count that.
Neither St Marks or Sallies have middle schools. Anyone starting there at the beginning of 9th grade is not a transfer. IMO.

DMA only accepts Freshman, correct?

Transferring to Public school is not always an option. That's why we don't see it hardly at all. DOE has (or had) a rule regarding public schools allowing choice= If a school was below 85% capacity, they were obligated to open up choice to increase enrollment for funding purposes (Goal is to have public schools at 85% to functionally run the school- financially speaking). If a public school was at or above 85%, then it falls on the district (and if they are at 85% or more I don't think they receive the sending schools taxes)- I could be wrong on this..

Neither St Marks or Sallies have middle schools. Anyone starting there at the beginning of 9th grade is not a transfer. IMO.
That's why I would count someone that wrestled as an 8th grader on a high school varsity team like caravel then went to st marks or sallies as a transfer, then say someone who was at Smyrna middle school and only wrestled on the smyrna middle school team then went to st marks as a freshman is not a transfer

DMA only accepts Freshman, correct?
You can transfer to DMA as a Sophmore, usually with out issues but after that it is special circumstances as a junior. A couple people have transferred as seniors but they had to attend DMA in the past

That's why I would count someone that wrestled as an 8th grader on a high school varsity team like caravel then went to st marks or sallies as a transfer, then say someone who was at Smyrna middle school and only wrestled on the smyrna middle school team then went to st marks as a freshman is not a transfer
Interesting view point.

I’d say this, if a kid attended a school like tatnall, caravel or Red Lion from elementary school and wrestled as an 8th grader and then left for another high school it’s different than the kid who did the obligatory 7th grade transfer so that they could wrestle as an 8th grade student and then transferred. The latter would at least appear to be for strictly athletics. All of that said, the DIAA doesn’t seem to care about transfers anymore so why not take advantage of the system.

If a kid comes to Central from Sussex Tech he is not necessarily a transfer. If his home school is SC and he decides to leave Tech, then he would come back to SC.

It’s still a transfer. Just a transfer to feeder school same as if a kid transfers from a private back to their feeder.
Ok. I guess see it in a different way. If that Tech kid gets into a fight and gets expelled from school, he then comes back to his home school. I usually consider a transfer as a junior from IR(or whatever school) to SC/Milford/CR to wrestle/ play football on a better team. More sports related.

Agree to disagree. I don’t believe a freshman should be considered a transfer unless it happens after the school year has started.

This thread started with the wrong question: it's not which is the best team with no transfers, it's which coaches don't need transfers to have a top team? Cape is most likely one of maybe two or three in this category. I don't think you can call some coaches at catholic schools great coaches when they get a lot of transfers that bolster their lineup every year. Going back to Cape, unless someone knows something about how many of their wrestlers should be at IR or SC, I think Cape will always be a top team that is homegrown.

• Haha
Can’t argue with that. They get the occasional move in transfer from out of state which isn’t the same. They got Deevy a few years back but I can’t think of another off hand. Milford could be in this category. Year after year Coach Parsley fields a tough team with homegrown talent.

Agreed. Milford, Cape and...Lake? Laurel? Not too many public schools up north with that ability these days.

This thread started with the wrong question: it's not which is the best team with no transfers, it's which coaches don't need transfers to have a top team? Cape is most likely one of maybe two or three in this category. I don't think you can call some coaches at catholic schools great coaches when they get a lot of transfers that bolster their lineup every year. Going back to Cape, unless someone knows something about how many of their wrestlers should be at IR or SC, I think Cape will always be a top team that is homegrown.
Not sure why someone transfer from SC to wrestle at Cape. Central has as good of a Varsity and JV program as anybody in the state. Georgetown and Millsboro Middle have great feeder programs with fantastic coaches. The Georgetown/Millsboro match last night at the high school was in front of a packed, electric and loud crowd. I think Central has some pretty good hometown talent on their side of the county.

I’d say this, if a kid attended a school like tatnall, caravel or Red Lion from elementary school and wrestled as an 8th grader and then left for another high school it’s different than the kid who did the obligatory 7th grade transfer so that they could wrestle as an 8th grade student and then transferred. The latter would at least appear to be for strictly athletics. All of that said, the DIAA doesn’t seem to care about transfers anymore so why not take advantage of the system.
I can get behind that. And based off of some comments recently it does seem like we may end up in a doesn't matter why but you can transfer anywhere you want whenever you want

I can get behind that. And based off of some comments recently it does seem like we may end up in a doesn't matter why but you can transfer anywhere you want whenever you want
The DiAA is weak anymore. Show up to your hearing with good counsel and they fold. They seem to only go after those without the means to defend their move/transfer.

Talent attracts talent.

This is not about attracting talent... it's about programs building talent from within. Milford and Cape do it. They don't need to attract...they produce locally. This is the problem with sports in DE, people think a school building winning teams through the transfer portal...cough, gag, wheeze...like MT in football is great coaching. It's not. Great coaches take what comes their way and makes it as competitive as they can. It's a lost art. Too few can do it anymore. Easier to recruit than work hard.

This is not about attracting talent... it's about programs building talent from within. Milford and Cape do it. They don't need to attract...they produce locally. This is the problem with sports in DE, people think a school building winning teams through the transfer portal...cough, gag, wheeze...like MT in football is great coaching. It's not. Great coaches take what comes their way and makes it as competitive as they can. It's a lost art. Too few can do it anymore. Easier to recruit than work hard.
Cape has had Patrick Donahue, Andrew Schaen, Josh Alvarez, Dalton Deevey, Grant Barczak & Michael Elphick in the last five years
Milford has had Robbie Rosser, Bart Dalious & all three Copes brothers transfer/school choice

You can say many of them have had kids transfer or school choice there for one reason or another.

To me the glaring the difference to be discussed here is the disparity between those being allowed at private v public schools

Cape has had Patrick Donahue, Andrew Schaen, Josh Alvarez, Dalton Deevey, Grant Barczak & Michael Elphick in the last five years
Milford has had Robbie Rosser, Bart Dalious & all three Copes brothers transfer/school choice

You can say many of them have had kids transfer or school choice there for one reason or another.

To me the glaring the difference to be discussed here is the disparity between those being allowed at private v public schools
In d2 public schools just can’t compete with the recruiting that the private schools do these days. In D1 downstate can compete because we don’t have as many vo tech & no big private schools. Think how many kids say an AI DuPont or Brandywine lose to private catholic schools. I guarantee from the Ai and Brandywine feeder patterns there are kids on Sallies, Saint Marks, DMA, Archmere, Wilmington Friends and others.

Many of these kids are commuting an extra two hours a day to attend a school that aligns with their academic ambitions, spirituality and values. Their parents are making the commitment and financial sacrifices that go along with that. They are not being recruited by Catholic schools, they are drawn by the culture. Plus these kids are not a bunch of stud ringers, they're just gritty, coachable, and ambitious kids.

Agreed. Milford, Cape and...Lake? Laurel? Not too many public schools up north with that ability these days.
Milford gets plenty of transfers. Durham went to Seaford middle school. McElwee, Thode, Copes(now at CR and his brothers I believe), Rosser, etc. all went to Lake Forest middle school Chipman.

Last edited:
The problem is some of you guys are counting “choice” kids as transfers. Also, no one goes to Archmere, Friends or TH strictly for the wrestling program. Brandywine SD and Red Clay loses maybe a handful max to those schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT