ADVERTISEMENT

Caravel/Dover

J12

D1AA Prospect
Feb 18, 2002
Dover leads 13-8 w/ 2 mins left in the first, Davis just picked up his 2nd foul 90 feet away from the basket. He’s gotta stay out of foul trouble to stay on the floor in games for Dover.

Dover leads 13-8 w/ 2 mins left in the first, Davis just picked up his 2nd foul 90 feet away from the basket. He’s gotta stay out of foul trouble to stay on the floor in games for Dover.
Title on line .. Wait at least until 3rd foul..

Reactions: Roddav3557
Caravel on 14-0 run & leads 19-13...#21 just caught a backside oop & Dover calls timeout.

Dover keeps fouling in the backcourt putting Caravel on the line. You are going to hear Dover mention the refs but they gotta stop reaching.

Davis got it going a little, Caravel leads 24-23 at the half. Dover is shooting terrible.

Reactions: Les61
Dover leads 42-35 after 3 quarters. Spencer holding it down on the defensive end w/ 5/6 blocks, Davis on the offensive end w/ 20 pts, Allen has struggled all night & Lassiter has been a spark off the bench on both ends to pick up the slack.

Spencer w/ another steal, dunk then block on the other end. Davis just picked up his 4th foul fouling a 3-point shot w/ 5:01 left.

Dover needs to control the amount of fouls they had tonight. If they want any chance to beat Sanford or St. George’s they’ll have to limit the fouls and turnovers.

Reactions: Les61
Davis fouls out w/ 23 pts & 1:30 left, Dover leads 64-52 & icing it w/ free throws.

Ehh. CA had a nice run. There always comes a point where athleticism and talent beats coaching, luck and systems. Dover reached that point. Good luck to them vs Sam and Sanford. Assuming it ends up that way.

Dover won, but if they have a start against Sanford like the start they have had in all 3 tourney games so far, they will not be able to overcome it. They must stop fouling so much so early! Keep the pressure on, but don’t commit crazy fouls. They did right the ship and let their “D” take over. Spencer was a beast on defense, Davis got it going, and Allen hit 8 straight foul shots in the closing minutes. I give them credit for getting it done on a night when they didn’t shoot well. Caravel had a nice game plan and executed it well for 3 quarters. They hung tough and the game was closer than the final score. Sengphachanh is a solid player. Hope to see a great title game!

Dover had to have 15 blocks in the game. Allen for Dover must have had 15 from the line. Made all his foul shots.

Reactions: J12
Dover had to have 15 blocks in the game. Allen for Dover must have had 15 from the line. Made all his foul shots.
Just saw the stats on Twitter. Dover was 30-32 at the line! Incredible! Allen was 17-17, Davis 7-7, and Lassiter 6-6. Amazing shooting! Caravel had to foul often at the end and Dover simply did not miss!

Reactions: chipchaser
I’m looking at the stat sheet now...Dover had 13 blocks, Spencer had 8 of them which was just another night for him because that’s what he does every night. He finished w/ 4 pts, 9 rebs, 8 blocks & 3 steals. Allen shot an ugly 2-15 from the field but 17-17 from the line for 21 pts, I can’t imagine he shoots that bad in the Chip

Last edited:
Reactions: handsdownmandown
Dover keeps fouling in the backcourt putting Caravel on the line. You are going to hear Dover mention the refs but they gotta stop reaching.

Do you think the refs called an unbiased game last night? Especially in concerns to Davis?

Do you think the refs called an unbiased game last night? Especially in concerns to Davis?
Yes I do. I like Davis a lot but just wish he could stay on the floor more & avoid foul trouble especially the fouls in the backcourt. You have mentioned the refs calling unfair fouls on him a few times before, seems like every time he gets into foul trouble it is the refs that you blame. If they keep making the same calls w/ different refs do you think it’s the refs that are out to get just this one kid (I doubt that)? I’m just saying that if you know they are calling those types of fouls then ease back sometimes, maybe pick & choose your spots a little better on defense to avoid the fouls. Dover is a better team w/ him on the floor & he can’t afford the foul trouble tomorrow.

Reactions: APboy
None of Davis’ calls were reach in fouls

I wouldn’t know, they should of played the final 4 on a Saturday and the ship Sunday, hard for a working man to get up that way during the week, just saying

Yes I do. I like Davis a lot but just wish he could stay on the floor more & avoid foul trouble especially the fouls in the backcourt. You have mentioned the refs calling unfair fouls on him a few times before, seems like every time he gets into foul trouble it is the refs that you blame. If they keep making the same calls w/ different refs do you think it’s the refs that are out to get just this one kid (I doubt that)? I’m just saying that if you know they are calling those types of fouls then ease back sometimes, maybe pick & choose your spots a little better on defense to avoid the fouls. Dover is a better team w/ him on the floor & he can’t afford the foul trouble tomorrow.

Even the offensive foul call? Or the last foul they called? How about the fast break layups he had near the end and they fouled him and no calls. A couple local officials admitted to me last week that upstate officials are very biased in their officiating.

Even the offensive foul call? Or the last foul they called? How about the fast break layups he had near the end and they fouled him and no calls. A couple local officials admitted to me last week that upstate officials are very biased in their officiating.
I see where this is going...LoL. The officials last night made a number of those push off foul calls on the ball handler even on Hyland in the St. George’s/Sanford game. I’m not an official but I know that it is a tough job & they are probably the most hated people in the gym every night one way or another. They are not singling kids out out there & I would think Davis would be the last one to single out cuz he doesn’t talk trash, play dirty or disrespect the refs. One other thing is that Dover will typically get called for more fouls because of their style of play & pressure on the ball.

I see where this is going...LoL. The officials last night made a number of those push off foul calls on the ball handler even on Hyland in the St. George’s/Sanford game. I’m not an official but I know that it is a tough job & they are probably the most hated people in the gym every night one way or another. They are not singling kids out out there & I would think Davis would be the last one to single out cuz he doesn’t talk trash, play dirty or disrespect the refs. One other thing is that Dover will typically get called for more fouls because of their style of play & pressure on the ball.

I know this can’t happen, but I really wish they could get out of state officials for these type of games. We can agree to disagree on this one. The game plan was already to play less aggressively. Those conversations were had with him. This is why he didn’t reach in a single time last night. He certainly moves his feet. I also think Davis would not be the last but the first because he is to Dover, like Corey Perkins is to Sanford but even more so. He’s hat underrated player that makes everyone else play better.

But I certainly did not come on here to complain. However, I was just getting your thoughts.

But I certainly did not come on here to complain. However, I was just getting your thoughts.
I thought 2 of the 3 refs in the Dover game were a step slow with their calls, but that went both ways. I really like your son ( I’m the guy who previously said I would take him over Bones), but he does commit too many fouls - especially early in games. He may not reach, but he does get up too close and he does bump sometimes. He has to know when to back it off a little cause he is too important to his team. He needs to be out there against Sanford or Dover is in trouble. His coaches should be emphasizing that with him. Sanford is too good for Dover to make mistakes they have made against other tourney teams. Dover will win if they play their brand of ball and cut down on the fouls.

Match up I been waiting on.. See what coach make in game adjustments the best.. Stan has the most title experience but he hasn't came threw with a title yet with this team... Dover has plenty of talent to get it done but Spencer will need help in the paint.. Key of the game is what type of half court defense Dover going run... Man to Man or zone.. I say zone and full-press.. I got to ride with Dover in this one.. Henlopen North got to support.. Dover wins title 68-63.. Lol

I use to bash the refs a lot it’s not about the calls it’s the consistency with the calls and Delaware officials is a lil off beat with the game speed and foot movement a lot of these kids have today just like technology change so has the game of basketball the refs dictate the game too much instead of letting the kids play I also believe that’s why we don’t have a shot clock the game would speed up even more and those refs wouldn’t be able to keep up I graduate in the early 90’s and a lot of those refs still are reffing today’s game

Match up I been waiting on.. See what coach make in game adjustments the best.. Stan has the most title experience but he hasn't came threw with a title yet with this team... Dover has plenty of talent to get it done but Spencer will need help in the paint.. Key of the game is what type of half court defense Dover going run... Man to Man or zone.. I say zone and full-press.. I got to ride with Dover in this one.. Henlopen North got to support.. Dover wins title 68-63.. Lol

Play zone against Sanford, you die....

They screen it too well and they offensive rebound superbly

I thought 2 of the 3 refs in the Dover game were a step slow with their calls, but that went both ways. I really like your son ( I’m the guy who previously said I would take him over Bones), but he does commit too many fouls - especially early in games. He may not reach, but he does get up too close and he does bump sometimes. He has to know when to back it off a little cause he is too important to his team. He needs to be out there against Sanford or Dover is in trouble. His coaches should be emphasizing that with him. Sanford is too good for Dover to make mistakes they have made against other tourney teams. Dover will win if they play their brand of ball and cut down on the fouls.

I agree and wish that the coaching staff wouldn’t put him up front or always on the best guy on the team.

I think Dover will have to throw multiple defensive strategies on Sanford, starting with what got them here- pressure pressure pressure on the ball. Pack it tight in the middle, but still contest every three point shot. I rather it be a shootout than an inside game. However, I think Dover needs to penetrate and pump fake to try to get Sanford’s bigs in foul trouble. I think Dover’s offense needs to be fast paced to keep the defense off balanced to get second chance opportunities and to keep them from setting up. I would go at Nanna and Jyare early to see if they can get the foul. Sub those guards out for quick minutes here and there to keep the pace up. When they get tired, they foul. Although Dover started off slow last night, so did Sanford. Dover needs to play with confidence, run from the gates and don’t look back. Leave it all out on the floor!

I thought St Georges defended Davis really well. That's the hardest he ever had to work for 18 points.
It’s probably the best team they played all year also. It’s comes with the territory.

If I was Dover (cue music):

- Press right away. Doesn't matter about turnovers. Just want to get the game uptempo. Also it might take Nana out of the game. When St George started pressing 4th quarter Sanford guards looked a little shaky.

- Important to get a good start. Sanford starts slow. They need to have at least a 10 point lead the half.

- Keep the bigs out of foul trouble. A lot of hype here about all the blocks against Caravel. But Caravel bigs are slow, soft and timid. Not only were they getting their shots blocked but I don't remember them drawing one foul. Nana and Davis are a much tougher draw. They will get to the foul line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT