ADVERTISEMENT

Charter Leaves Flight A

MightyMik

In the weight room getting big
Feb 8, 2007
My intel has it that Charter of Wilmington is out of Flight A and in the Diamond State Conference starting next school year. Makes sense for them athletically. Thoughts????

Mik if you have the final scoop that is interesting.
Charter seems to have made a case to ADs to allow them to go to Flight B in FB....and it was rejected.

In all candor:
Charter, Delcastle, Polytech, McKean, Dickinson, Christiana and Seaford should be allowed to have their own developmental FB league. They should be allowed to go to FB tourney if they accumulate enough points for their to get in the appropriate FB tourney for their size institution.

Bummy sat through the Charter- Delcastle game 2 weekends ago. God bless Delcastle. They are up against it.....but they are more than competitive in basketball.

Charter can win 3 different state titles in other sports.

It's a conundrum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jawnsky
Charter tried to get the AD's to allow them to play an "independent" football schedule. The vote was no. They quit the conference that night. WAHHHH. They beat the crap out of other school in the "white" sports and don't like it when it done to them. WAHHH.
Is AI gonna bail next? No. Why? Because the school doesn't like losing. It's Charter don't ya know???

Mik if you have the final scoop that is interesting.
Charter seems to have made a case to ADs to allow them to go to Flight B in FB....and it was rejected.

In all candor:
Charter, Delcastle, Polytech, McKean, Dickinson, Christiana and Seaford should be allowed to have their own developmental FB league. They should be allowed to go to FB tourney if they accumulate enough points for their to get in the appropriate FB tourney for their size institution.

Bummy sat through the Charter- Delcastle game 2 weekends ago. God bless Delcastle. They are up against it.....but they are more than competitive in basketball.

Charter can win 3 different state titles in other sports.

It's a conundrum.

Flight "B" wasn't an option. St. Georges, Hodgson and even Howard would still beat the tar out of them.
If the suggestion is to create a suckass team division and play for a state championship is on the table, watch out for Ravenrooster...

Kudos to the Blue Hen Conference AD. They should not be granted there wish to have Independent Football Schedule. They win in Soccer, Lacrosse, Cross Country, Baseball and last year they won the Conference in Wrestling. So Football they get beat so they want out instead of working to improve the program just get out and lower the competition. This is what we see everyday now. Don't work to get better just lower the standard. Glad the Blue Hen Conference had no parts of allowing this to happen. All Blue Hen Conference Teams should not play them in any sport.

wtf are you even talking about? come off the ledge my friend.. and whats with the obsession with the rooster soccer Mom?.. You do know I am happily married dont you?.. get off my c%#k

I was actually giving you props. The whole idea of everyone gets a trophy...
Poedick

Kudos to the Blue Hen Conference AD. They should not be granted there wish to have Independent Football Schedule. They win in Soccer, Lacrosse, Cross Country, Baseball and last year they won the Conference in Wrestling. So Football they get beat so they want out instead of working to improve the program just get out and lower the competition. This is what we see everyday now. Don't work to get better just lower the standard. Glad the Blue Hen Conference had no parts of allowing this to happen. All Blue Hen Conference Teams should not play them in any sport.

Exactly what I said to an AD, make them drive Smyrna south for games.

You guys are what's wrong with Delaware. Time for a change . I say good for them . The conference alignment sucks. More teams too follow. What's the point of them losing to Middletown 65-0??? That doesn't help anyone . What's wrong with them trying to at least be competitive in football? Who gives A shit about other sports . Football is king .

I'll check back to see more dumb ass comments by the board of trolls .

I've decided to return to the board but only as an ignorant prick .

You guys are what's wrong with Delaware. Time for a change . I say good for them . The conference alignment sucks. More teams too follow. What's the point of them losing to Middletown 65-0??? That doesn't help anyone . What's wrong with them trying to at least be competitive in football? Who gives A shit about other sports . Football is king .

you are doing a good job of that,, just saying lol welcome to the club

Reactions: spartakos

Fanoffootball - I agree on yes try to be competitive. But you cant have all the rewards from the conference in every other sport and take your ball and run in the sports you not so good in. The alignment YES you may be righty may not be the best. But its what we have. So take the good with the bad.. So be a prick if you want but your clueless on this issue..... The Blue Hen Conference AD kudos again !!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
@fof
poedick...
another priceless word for the posse!!!
keep um coming

What is so great about flight A blue hen??

I'll give you the answer .

Nothing!!

Charter had 2 choices.

Leave or drop football. They made the right choice and hopefully other schools follow. They were never going to be any good in football . Never . Getting your ass handed to you every week is a load of fun ..,..huh.

One thing to remember is that the three division model is still on the table although getting a little cold. My understanding of it is that it would be based on results as well as enrollment numbers.

I don't think Charter gains much by leaving the conference, they are still considered D-1. Now all those Diamond D-2 schools get a conference game with D-1 points on the line, yeah I'd be welcoming them too. Remember, soccer is split into divisions, their points index will take a big hit when D-1 points won't be as easy to come by.

If their enrollment numbers stay above D-1 level, they are going to have a hard time filling out there schedule with teams from the Blue Hen. My hunch is that when they do schedule a game with their former conference pals, the scores might get pretty lopsided with first teams seeing little rest.

My intel tells me Charter asked to leave for just football. That was denied, so they left for all sports. Don't forget that when Charter first started sports they were not in a conference. They were in the NonConference. After there first few years they joined the Blue Hen and that is why Flight A and B have so little out of conference games.

Will they ever win football...no. Division 1 is dominated by the big boys (Sallies always , Smyrna now, Penn again, Middletown always there). There are only a few sports that have divisions (football, cross country, wrestling, track, and soccer). They compete well in all them but football. The Diamond State Conference is a pretty good conference if you look at it.
DMA - won volleyball last year, playoff football team, boys basketball playoff team, baseball playoff team, lacrosse playoff team
Conrad- final 4 girls basketball, baseball team competitive, football competitive
Archmere - solid in most sports
Newark Charter - up incoming school already good at some sports they have.

By playing a D2 schedule they are giving up any chance to get in d1 FB tournament.
Other BHA teams didn't want to see coference fall apart...it just started. Now MDT, Concord, Penn, Newark, Delcastle, Mt Pleasant, Appo and AI will have another open date next year. Of course, Delcastle would probably schedule Charter.

6a01310f9ede0b970c017d425aaafc970c.0.jpg

Last 2 years Charter vs DMA combined score

DMA 70-7.

Charter isn't going to be competing for a playoff berth in DI or any division for that matter.

My contention is that it will hurt their playoff seeding in other sports as well. Soccer should still be able to make it into the tournament, with a lower seed, but wrestling is a whole other issue. Very tough to get in the tournament if you are not wrestling against D-1 teams. What Blue Hen D-1 team is going to want to schedule a team that could cost them points? One that possibly just left their conference. I don't think Diamond State gets an auto bid.

Besides WP who is any good in wrestling in Blue Hen DI?

They will easily qualify in every sport they now do well in. I don't follow soccer much but they are very good there. In my opinion it's gives them better options for creating a more competitive schedule.

It's a joke anyway. They should've been allowed to pull out for just football but the powers that be don't want change. The big dogs like having a guaranteed victory on their schedule every year. Middletown played Charter last week in football and now travels to Delcastle this week. That's a joke. It doesn't help anyone to continue to schedule games like that just because "its a conference game". Stupid logic.

Is it possible that the school with the next highest enrollment would be forced to move up? I believe that would be Hodgson or St. Georges. It would be good to see one of them finally jump to Flight A.

Is it possible that the school with the next highest enrollment would be forced to move up? I believe that would be Hodgson or St. Georges. It would be good to see one of them finally jump to Flight A.
Its very possible. The enrollment cut off is set by the lowest enrollment in either Flight A or Hen North. Charter would no longer be in that equation. If the Blue Hen Conference wants to keep Flight A at 9 teams then the next highest enrollment comes up and then that schools enrollment would likely be the cut-off

Last edited:
What stinks is that in football there are only 10 games in the regular season, but there are 9 teams in a conference up state. Thats crazy. So for example Mtown must play 8 conference games (most of which are never competitive). But every year at least 2 (delcastle, Charter) are traditionally not competitive in the least. The average Mtown/Charter score over the past 11 years has been 48-6 (with 42-14 being the closest game 9 years ago). the average Mtown/Delcastle score 46-11.

I would love to see teams like Charter and Delcastle be able to "opt-out" of a Flight A Football schedule. I would be for forcing them to if they didn't volunteer to. Charter and Delcastle could be somewhat competitive in football in D2. I'm not sure they could beat the better D2 teams, but they could devise a schedule to allow them to actually have a shot to win some games.

Then that gives a team like Mtown or Wm Penn an opportunity to play a team like Smyrna or one of the downstate teams. I'm also for adjusting the playoff pts system to allow a team like Mtown to play a "free game or two" against teams either in D2 or out of state that doesn't impact their playoff points. So for example this year if Mtown played Woodbridge and a team like Dematha, to test themselves; Those two games aren't factored into the playoff point index. Mtowns points would be based on Delaware D1 teams only. So their total points would be divided by 8 to get their index. This gives teams a chance to have a rivalry game against an out of division team and it not hurt them.

Just a thought....

Reactions: fanoffootball123
I've voiced my opinion onThis before, years ago and recently. I'm glad charter is stepping out. Hopefully Delcastle is next.

The downside to this is if they want to keep Flight a at 9 teams which I too agree is BS. Keep it at 8. Okay a 7 game conference schedule and we could see teams like penn, concord or Middletown play tech, central or Smyrna. Or even an out of state game like the previous poster stated. I remember playing against downingtown two years straight. We traveled up there to play and spanked them, the following year they came down to us and gave us an even nastier whopping. The one may have not of been the outcome we wanted but it was fun leading up to the game prepping for someone we've never seen before.

P
I've voiced my opinion onThis before, years ago and recently. I'm glad charter is stepping out. Hopefully Delcastle is next.

The downside to this is if they want to keep Flight a at 9 teams which I too agree is BS. Keep it at 8. Okay a 7 game conference schedule and we could see teams like penn, concord or Middletown play tech, central or Smyrna. Or even an out of state game like the previous poster stated. I remember playing against downingtown two years straight. We traveled up there to play and spanked them, the following year they came down to us and gave us an even nastier whopping. The one may have not of been the outcome we wanted but it was fun leading up to the game prepping for someone we've never seen before.

Good points, HS.
There is a rumor that CR is going to back off on their schedule next year. That would be a shame but I understand. That means that Smyrna and Middleown could play the first week (renew the Harvest Bowl)...or at sometime during the season. Also if St. G doesn't move up to Flight A...that means that there are now additional open dates in Flight A.

I tend to agree with fanoffootball...maybe they should have let Charter and Delcastle play FB in Flight B.

Besides WP who is any good in wrestling in Blue Hen DI?

They will easily qualify in every sport they now do well in. I don't follow soccer much but they are very good there. In my opinion it's gives them better options for creating a more competitive schedule.

It's a joke anyway. They should've been allowed to pull out for just football but the powers that be don't want change. The big dogs like having a guaranteed victory on their schedule every year. Middletown played Charter last week in football and now travels to Delcastle this week. That's a joke. It doesn't help anyone to continue to schedule games like that just because "its a conference game". Stupid logic.
My point is, that they may not be able to schedule enough D-1 teams to get the quality wins that they need to qualify. It doesn't matter how good they are, if they don't have a whole bunch of flight A teams to get wins off of, where do they get the signature wins from? Who do they wrestle?

For the record I don't think they should be allowed in Flight B. That might not help much anyway. Hodgson, St. Georges, Glasgow and Howard are no cakewalk. I don't see a problem with a team dropping out of a conference where they aren't competitive. Playing football in Flight A for Charter and Delcastle is ludicrous. Even AI hasn't had much success except for a few seasons.

Blue Hen doesn't want the change because AD's and administrators are lazy and it makes scheduling tougher. Big deal. Collect your 6 figure check and do some work. Sports are supposed to be for the kids. Put the kids in a competitive atmosphere. Just because a school has a high enrollment and is good in girls cross country doesn't qualify them to play against the biggest and best football schools in the State.

People are worried that a Charter or someone else is going to schedule 10 games against patsies and qualify for the playoffs. Isn't going to happen.

Next year Charter plays:

DMA (never beaten them)
AI
Tower Hill
Mckean
Friends
Conrad
First State Military (who?)
Tatnall
Archmere
Red Lion

My point is, that they may not be able to schedule enough D-1 teams to get the quality wins that they need to qualify. It doesn't matter how good they are, if they don't have a whole bunch of flight A teams to get wins off of, where do they get the signature wins from? Who do they wrestle?

I don't know enough about wrestling to answer that. I went to St. Mark's. We wrestled mostly out of state schools back then. Plenty of options for scheduling.

If not for winning Flight A, Charter probably would not have made the tournament last season. 2016 Tournament notice:

The DIAA’s Wrestling Committee announced the six teams that will participate in Tuesday’s Dual Meet Championships at Smyrna High School. Defending champions Smyrna (Division I) and Milford (Division II) are the No. 1 seeds.

Competition begins at 3:30pm with the quarterfinal rounds featuring the bottom four seeds.

The top two seeds in each division receive a bye to the semifinals, with the No. 1 seed facing the lowest (worst) remaining seed, while the No. 2 seed will battle the other team.

The semifinal winners will face off in the championship which typically begins around 7:30pm.

Division I
Quarterfinals – 3:30pm
No. 6 Charter of Wilmington (8-2) vs. No. 3 Caesar Rodney (8-3)
No. 5 Polytech (8-4) vs. No. 4 Cape Henlopen (9-3)
Semifinals – About 5:30pm
No. 1 Smyrna (11-0) vs. Lowest (Worst) remaining seed
No. 2 Sussex Central (11-1) vs. Highest (Best) remaining seed
Championship – About 7:30pm
Semifinal Winners

(Note: Dover also applied for the Division I Tournament, but were left out due to their head-to-head loss to Polytech, and the fact Charter received an automatic bid by winning the Blue Hen Conference)

All of this comes back to the first part of my post, I honestly think it is time to take a look at three divisions again. Because Charter is just one of the schools this is happening to.

Middletown 65-0
Middletown 46-0
Middletown 48-6

William Penn 49-0
William Penn 43-16
William Penn 31-15

Concord 44-28
Concord 48-22
Concord 12-7

Newark 34-0
Newark 35-21
Charter 41 Newark 40 (only win over Newark ever)

Appo 41-20
Appo 27-6
Appo 13-3 (Appo only win that season)

AI 14-6
AI 61-44
AI 22-19

Haven't beaten AI since 2010

etc......

Another thing that I think should be looked at is the size of the program. Looking at the Charter roster I see less than 35 names. You can't compete with DI schools like that. Isn't that bordering on being a safety issue? The "silk panty league" has larger rosters than that.

Middletown 65-0
Middletown 46-0
Middletown 48-6

William Penn 49-0
William Penn 43-16
William Penn 31-15

Concord 44-28
Concord 48-22
Concord 12-7

Newark 34-0
Newark 35-21
Charter 41 Newark 40 (only win over Newark ever)

Appo 41-20
Appo 27-6
Appo 13-3 (Appo only win that season)

AI 14-6
AI 61-44
AI 22-19

Haven't beaten AI since 2010

etc......
Yes, but do you think the those teams will continue to schedule Charter once they are in the Diamond? That's the rub.

The Saturday before last I took my grandson to the Charter - Delcastle game. Charter won 40-0. The kid is 10. He probably thinks Charter is the best team he has ever seen.

Yes, but do you think the those teams will continue to schedule Charter once they are in the Diamond? That's the rub.

They're playing AI in football next year.

If they do get black balled so what. Plenty of options. Might have to travel. I don't think it's a big deal.

Are they definitely joining the Diamond State Conf?

I dont think the Diamond State is recognized by DIFCA as a football conference.. They only have 3 football playing schools maybe with adding Charter as a 4th they can be

I think it was done a couple weeks ago. My sense is that CR will also drop the Slowskys. The CR scenario is interesting. They have been in a state of decline but it seems to be more pronounced now that Schoenwolf (spelling?) has retired as FB coach. Talent doesn't usually run continuously in a school but if you look at CR you get the sense that they are underachieving. Same with Dover. Maybe the Slowskys.

And in my opinion with that addition alone already makes the schedule 10x better. Regarding what happens with Hodgson or st. Georges coming up, that's a tough schedule. Who knows what concord or Penn will bring to the table over the next two years but Smyrna and Middletown are both young. Smyrna, William Penn, Sallies and Concord. Throw in maybe Tech, or an out of state school and it's what I know I wanted. And from the sound of it, what most of you want as well.

I think it was done a couple weeks ago. My sense is that CR will also drop the Slowskys. The CR scenario is interesting. They have been in a state of decline but it seems to be more pronounced now that Schoenwolf (spelling?) has retired as FB coach. Talent doesn't usually run continuously in a school but if you look at CR you get the sense that they are underachieving. Same with Dover. Maybe the Slowskys.
Do you think CR might be looking for a change at HC?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT