ADVERTISEMENT

Charter Leaves Flight A

Do you think CR might be looking for a change at HC?
I think that would be premature. CR had like 3 coaches in 30 some years..Leonard, Covaleski, and Schoenwolf. It takes time....I would say anybody would get 3 years to see what direction the program is going in...

Just a heads up to everyone...the Smyrna-Middletown game (harvest bowl) is already confirmed for the 2017-2018 seasons. The first one is being played September 8th, 2017 @ Middletown.

Not sure if this is a result of Charter stepping out or CR going to a weaker schedule. But regardless, it is posted

It just hit me HS....in all likelihood Smyrna and MDT will be playing 2 consecutive games 9 months apart. Cool.

Charter has no problem hooping it up anytime they think they are on top in a category of their choosing. I would love to see Symrna pour it on that silk pantie wanna be pack of big tuition Dodgers
Eagle, great job. That was aggressive. You are so right. Charter certainly took the cream off the top at Red Clay. Then they saved a lot of Silk Panty wannabes a lot of dough.

I don't we'll see Charter scheduling Smyrna.

I want to see the Smyrna-MDT game in December as badly as everyone else but, I find it funny how we are all over looking concord. 2-3 Division 1 recruits and they are just quietly handling their business.

If Them and the Cavs go undefeated until week 10, do either of these two play their cards in that game just stay undefeated? Or rest players going into the playoffs. The top 3 seeds would be between Smyrna, Middletown and Concord. That win could either mean 1st seed, a bye, and a home playoff game compared to 1st round home game and then an away semi final game between one of the other two.

And in my opinion with that addition alone already makes the schedule 10x better. Regarding what happens with Hodgson or st. Georges coming up, that's a tough schedule. Who knows what concord or Penn will bring to the table over the next two years but Smyrna and Middletown are both young. Smyrna, William Penn, Sallies and Concord. Throw in maybe Tech, or an out of state school and it's what I know I wanted. And from the sound of it, what most of you want as well.
I wouldn't mind Middletown steeping out and playing an OOS school.. Maybe the Middletown in MD which is also a good program.. That could be fun.. Battle of the Middletowns

Last edited:
I want to see the Smyrna-MDT game in December as badly as everyone else but, I find it funny how we are all over looking concord. 2-3 Division 1 recruits and they are just quietly handling their business.

If Them and the Cavs go undefeated until week 10, do either of these two play their cards in that game just stay undefeated? Or rest players going into the playoffs. The top 3 seeds would be between Smyrna, Middletown and Concord. That win could either mean 1st seed, a bye, and a home playoff game compared to 1st round home game and then an away semi final game between one of the other two.
you go for the top two seeds and byes period,, dont over think things.. at this point in the season everyone knows what everyone has and does,,

Eagle, great job. That was aggressive. You are so right. Charter certainly took the cream off the top at Red Clay. Then they saved a lot of Silk Panty wannabes a lot of dough.

I don't we'll see Charter scheduling Smyrna.
I am not a fan of the Charter School Sytem Bummy. Not an educated guy but think a perhaps McKean, Dickinson, Glasgow could all had been theme charters

Reactions: Uncle Bumfuzzled
Public schools upstate (above canal) suck especially at high school level. Charters exist so kids can get a good education without getting stabbed. Parents like me can't afford private education anymore.
Understand that comment. Wonder just wonder why the "private but public and we will separate legally and in line" thing took hold. could have been done better

Public schools upstate (above canal) suck especially at high school level. Charters exist so kids can get a good education without getting stabbed. Parents like me can't afford private education anymore.
This may be the most important post ever (on here). This is the problem. How do we fix it?

Reactions: DENative
Understand that comment. Wonder just wonder why the "private but public and we will separate legally and in line" thing took hold. could have been done better
please expound on your thoughts because this post doesnt make sense.. what are you saying?

This may be the most important post ever. This is the problem. How do we fix it?
I actually think the publics in New Castle County have gotten better the last few years. I know they had a horrible reputation for most of the 2000's but it has gotten better,, But Techs and Charters are still the schools of choice for a free education above the canal but I dont think kids have gotten stabbed or shot in any of them lately but kids have at Howard

RR respectively, no shut? Thanks for clearing that up. Go get some stats on some Maryland team that's going to play Laurel or something :)

I actually think the publics in New Castle County have gotten better the last few years. I know they had a horrible reputation for most of the 2000's but it has gotten better,, But Techs and Charters are still the schools of choice for a free education above the canal but I dont think kids have gotten stabbed or shot in any of them lately but kids have at Howard
Standard public schools up north are in turmoil. Charters are being used by parents to move their kids to a more controlled, more single minded educational tracks. These charters are cherry picking their students and I can assure you the population is landing along that of racial boundaries.

Reactions: bone_em_up
And I went to private, public, back to private
Standard public schools up north are in turmoil. Charters are being used by parents to move their kids to a more controlled, more single minded educational tracks. These charters are cherry picking their students and I can assure you the population is landing along that of racial boundaries.
you hit right on !

This may be the most important post ever (on here). This is the problem. How do we fix it?

Not sure a football board is somewhere to discuss this . That said I don't really have a clue how to fix it. Better parenting would help.

Please don't misunderstand me, I don't think Charter schools are a bad thing. In fact, they may be the answer. But it needs to be the answer for all, not just a select few.

Not sure a football board is somewhere to discuss this . That said I don't really have a clue how to fix it. Better parenting would help.
IMHO this is exactly the place to discuss this. These football teams are reflections of their communities, they reflect exactly what their families want them to achieve. While everyone may want their child to go on and play D-1 football at Alabama or something, most parents want their children to graduate and achieve more than they did. Football is one vehicle to accomplish that goal.

Reactions: eagle control
Upstate public schools are not a reflection of their communities because of bussing. My kids could walk to Dickinson but I won't send them there. Not sure many local kids go there. The "lottery" or selection of kids to get into certain Charter schools is a strange process.

Not having a public high school in Wilmington I think is an issue. Howard is vo-tech. Maybe a city high school would help but others would argue it costs too much and it would be unsafe . One thing that was good about ECA (probably the only good thing) is that it got kids out of the city and gave them a chance to succeed .

Like I said it's an impossible issue.

Upstate public schools are not a reflection of their communities because of bussing. My kids could walk to Dickinson but I won't send them there. Not sure many local kids go there. The "lottery" or selection of kids to get into certain Charter schools is a strange process.

Not having a public high school in Wilmington I think is an issue. Howard is vo-tech. Maybe a city high school would help but others would argue it costs too much and it would be unsafe . One thing that was good about ECA (probably the only good thing) is that it got kids out of the city and gave them a chance to succeed .

Like I said it's an impossible issue.
I don't think it is an impossible issue, I think it is the issue. It needs to be fixed. I don't live up there, but there has to be a way to make it work. We can no longer accept "That's just how it is."

Yeah parents of students as far as academics are doing that but what Charters are anyhting when it comes to football team? yeah Penncader had a year or two but they failed.. Techs are a different story though but that is D2 .. to put it in perspective kids are not forced to walk through a metal detector like they are in Baltimore and Philly schools,, Point being Newark, Glasgow or Christiana is no more dangerous then any other public in DE,, Yes they have issues with kids being eligble and all that but that is on the kids and their parenting but kids are not gettting stabbed in the halls that is nonsense

Last edited:
Yeah parents of students as far as academics are doing that but what Charters are anyhting when it comes to football team? yeah Penncader had a year or two but they failed.. Techs are a different story though but that is D2 .. to put it in perspective kids are not forced to walk through a metal detector like they are in Baltimore and Philly schools
Take a look at DMA

DMA is a Military Academy thats a different story.. and what have they ever won? and they never will
Look at the racial makeup of that school, compared to that of others in the area. What is the percentage of white to non-white?

Not sure I agree with "DMA will never win anything" comment. Won't be this year but to say never is a bit extreme. Young team this year. Didn't they make the playoffs last year ?

I'm not sure about the racial makeup.

The problem with most charter schools is the selection. They are segregated schools. They should mirror they community make up but they don't. Wilmington Charter is majority white. They are picking the top students then bragging how well they do. What about the parent of a 1.9 student in middle school who wants to attend. You think they will "hit the lottery" and get in? Hell no. So what are the options for that parent? A charter should take any kid and help them succeed but they don't want too many of them in there.

Wilmington Charter is more diverse than you would think. The African American population is higher than DMA and also a big school for the Asian community.

http://profiles.doe.k12.de.us/schoolprofiles/School/Default.aspx?checkSchool=295&districtCode=32

To really understand the populations in each school, check out the free and reduced lunch %. DMA and Wilm. Charter started out as white schools. Conrad ran all the Hispanic and minority kids out to accomplish the same thing. Check the stats.

DMA is a very popular choice for those who do not go the Charter or Private route. And DMA also manipulates the system as to who gets in.
Delaware Military Academy and First State Military Academy are charter schools. They are listed as such by the state Department of Education. The most successful charters -- DMA, Wilmington and Newark -- have entrance requirements that rival most of the private schools. None are a true lottery.

As for DMA's athletic success, they are the defending volleyball champs and are currently ranked first. The football team did win 9 games last season. The boys' soccer team is quite good.

I'll preface this by saying my comments are from the outside looking in from down state. As long as large numbers of "quality" students leave regular schools for charter/tech/ privates there is not much hope for improvement. Parents need to stop leaving for greener pastures and stay to fight to fix their regular schools. Parent involvement and their push for improvement is key to holding schools accountable. I firmly believe a student can get a decent education and be reasonably prepared for college at any school in our state if they make doing so a priority. Is it easier and less distracting at some than others? Yes. Agree w/earlier poster that busing has added to problems - hard to build community spirit when your school is farther away. Not smart enough to have a good solution for that while still keeping racial balance as there is still value in having a diverse school community.

I'll preface this by saying my comments are from the outside looking in from down state. As long as large numbers of "quality" students leave regular schools for charter/tech/ privates there is not much hope for improvement. Parents need to stop leaving for greener pastures and stay to fight to fix their regular schools. Parent involvement and their push for improvement is key to holding schools accountable. I firmly believe a student can get a decent education and be reasonably prepared for college at any school in our state if they make doing so a priority. Is it easier and less distracting at some than others? Yes. Agree w/earlier poster that busing has added to problems - hard to build community spirit when your school is farther away. Not smart enough to have a good solution for that while still keeping racial balance as there is still value in having a diverse school community.

I think that's 80% of the problem though. Lack of parental involvement. It all starts in the home.

Reactions: spartakos
The problem is that instead of putting money and time into the suffering public schools, the money goes to starting another Charter school that will pick and choose the kind of students they want (or can make the most money from) at their leisure.

Also, I graduated from Howard the same year Wilmington High had their last graduating class (1999), so the fact that there hasn't been one public high school in Delaware's biggest city this century is ridiculous. The only sense of community when schools in Red Clay, Christina and Brandywine meet is because those kids know each other from their neighborhoods and that's more of a personal thing.

As someone who taught at Woodbridge, and lived in Laurel for a few years, I understand where you are coming from. Take the "Tech" pull you have down there and multiply it by 10. Seriously. That is what the traditional public school above the canal is up against. I was at Woodbridge when Sussex Tech would swoop in with the color brochures(?), free lunch and power sales presentation. The top 30 kids left out of only 80 to begin with.
Parent involvement, community involvement died with "Deseg" when I was in school. Now as a parent I/we have to make a decision about our kids schooling. Remember you only have one chance for you kids future. Go to a school that is about strict learning or a school that is trying to save societies social ills? Its not about Laurel vs. Delmar or Cape vs. CR up here. Its about how do I put my kid in the best place so he's ready for the next step.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT