ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Billings

APboy

moving up to Varsity
Aug 31, 2002
After reading TNJ series on the top 125 all-time Delaware coaches, I noticed that Bill Billings was not on the list. I know there was controversy about his behavior and allegations of inappropriate conduct. Should he have been on the list or not?

The Billings situation is complicated. Legally, he was never charged with any criminal wrongdoing. I don't believe any of his alleged victims filed charges with the police. Allegedly, numerous complaints were filed with the administration at Middletown, which in turn, were allegedly ignored. Billings was a legendary figure in the state, and a god at Middletown. With a lack of any convictions against a man of his stature, many in the general public assumed his innocence. And the rumors were written off as the work of his detractors.

In 2011 the Appoquinimink School District settled a lawsuit with one of his alleged victims, paying the plaintiff $100,000.00, and agreed to remove Billing's name from the football stadium. The suit was filed against the district and Middletown High School for employing Billings despite prior knowledge of sexual abuse of female minors. The result of this action brought the accusations against Billings back in the spotlight, and introduced them to younger generations that weren't around when the rumor mill was churning full speed. It also made it more difficult for many to continue their 'innocent until proven guilty' assumption.

Was Bill Billings guilty? Having passed in 2007, he will never have his day in court to answer that question. By making a settlement on the suit, the district and school did not make an admission of guilt. They settled because they felt it was in the best interest of all parties involved. That I am aware of, this is the only legal proceeding regarding the matter. Unfortunately, the only court Billing's guilt (or innocence) will be tried in is that of public opinion.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Billings. He was a rough edged, outspoken man, but I liked him. I considered it an honor to have chatted football with the legendary coach. Do I want to believe he was guilty? No. But sometimes there is too much smoke to ignore the fire. For most of us, like myself, there is no need for concern over drawing an accurate conclusion. However, for journalists, whose integrity and reputation is on the line, a conclusion must be drawn that is fair and respectful, to all parties involved. Considering the mushroom cloud of smoke that developed as a result of the lawsuit, it's totally understandable why Kevin Tresolini omitted Bill Billings from the list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT